PDA

View Full Version : Suns Hope To Make Leads Last

duncan228
04-24-2008, 01:00 AM
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/2008/04/24/20080424suns0424.html

Suns hope to make leads last
by Paul Coro

In Game 1, the Suns trailed for less than four of the 58 minutes. In Game 2, the Suns trailed for less than 20 of the 48 minutes.

Spending most of this series leading San Antonio is no consolation to the Suns, who are in a 2-0 hole. It is emblematic of their struggles to play as large as the playoff spotlight requires.

Suns forward Grant Hill believes in the theory that a winning team outplays its opponent in the first two minutes and final two minutes of each half. Second-half collapses have been set up by a Game 1 lead going from 16 to eight in the final 3:41 before halftime and a Game 2 lead going from 11 to 7 in the final 47 seconds.

The third quarter was where Phoenix lost it Tuesday night. But "losing it" could mean losing its cool as much as its lead. The Suns became unraveled by empty possessions and a previously scoreless Michael Finley hitting four consecutive shots, three off the same play.

"We maybe lost our composure a bit," said Steve Nash, who had one assist after halftime as he also forced the issue at times. "It wasn't like we lost our confidence in those moments. We maybe rushed."

There was no indication of lost confidence despite needing four victories in the next five games against the world champions. Disappointment was a more common sentiment.

"We're not down," Suns coach Mike D'Antoni said. "We're not out.

"I'm pretty confident going into Friday (Game 3 at home). It seems like we've won a lot of the minutes. They're really good. We make a mistake and they really make you pay for it."

Looking back on a 3-for-18, five-turnover third quarter, it didn't need to be so bad. Before the Suns became rattled, the shots they like were there. Shaquille O'Neal missed on three post-ups, two free throws and was stripped. That's a vast departure from the O'Neal who scored on a string of successive touches against Tim Duncan to extend the Suns lead in an April 9 win at San Antonio.

In the first nine minutes of the third quarter Tuesday, Phoenix was 1 for 12 - with bad spacing - against a sagging defense. The rest of the game, the Suns made 53 percent of their shots.

It is all about the timing, exemplified by a late rally that was halted with Boris Diaw unable to score in the post against guards. Amaré Stoudemire did not make his shots in the second half, going 2 of 11 from the field by making a tip-in and a late 3-pointer.

"I'm pretty sure they said, 'By any means, try to stop him,' and they brought out everything they had," Stoudemire said of the Spurs' halftime plan.

With Stoudemire and Nash limited, the Phoenix offense, which got no points from a hurting Hill and a quiet Leandro Barbosa, struggled. Hill said his midsection pain worsened the more he played. He was on the floor for the first nine minutes, after which the Suns led 26-12.

"It was tough for those nine minutes," Hill said. "Just suck it up and play."

Asked whether he was ready to play, Hill said, "Who knows?"

Asked whether it was the right decision to play, Hill said, "I don't know."

Hill said he intended to play Friday.

"I think he's getting close to well," D'Antoni said. "We've got to get him more involved and more aggressive. We need to run and push it."

The Suns were outscored by the Spurs 23-4 in fast-break points after posting only nine fast-break points in Game 1. Parker had four fast-break layups and another seven scores on drives, mostly against Nash, even as the Suns kept Manu Ginobili on the perimeter.

Phoenix missed Hill's ability to score on the break.

If Hill can't go Friday, Barbosa will start - and that could be a two-fold boost. The current starting lineup is 13-12 for the regular season and postseason, and the Suns went 10-2 with Barbosa starting, when his numbers also improve (52.9 percent shooting, 21.4 scoring average).

With little impact from Hill and Barbosa, it is probably hardest on Nash, who dribbled through a shot-clock violation and had a no-look turnover in Tuesday's third quarter.

"It's a lot, isn't it?" Nash said of getting no points from a pair who averaged 28.7. "It's a lot. We need a little more balance.

"We still feel confident going home. Obviously, it didn't bolster our confidence but we'll regain it."

Kori Ellis
04-24-2008, 01:02 AM
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/2008/04/24/20080424suns0424.html

Suns hope to make leads last
by Paul Coro ...

SpursTalk trivia. Paul Coro went to my high school. :lol

RandomGuy
04-24-2008, 02:20 PM
Interesting article.

Only the last minute really counts.:lol

Seriously though, the Spurs just seem to always be there waiting for other teams to f*** up.

The Spurs motto should be

"We just make fewer mistakes than you do."

You don't have to play perfectly to win B-ball games, just play better than everyone else.

:flag:

NoMoneyDown
04-24-2008, 02:46 PM
"We're not down," Suns coach Mike D'Antoni said. "We're not out.

"I'm pretty confident going into [the next game]. It seems like we've won a lot of the minutes. They're really good. We make a mistake and they really make you pay for it."

He said essentially the same thing after Game 1.

ancestron
04-24-2008, 02:46 PM
Basketball is a game of mistakes. The trick is to limit your mistakes as much as possible. Thats fundamental old school shit, probably something Mike Dantoni is completely unfamiliar with.

MoSpur
04-24-2008, 02:53 PM
The Suns should hope to play defense.

Dex
04-24-2008, 03:47 PM
Asked whether he was ready to play, Hill said, "Who knows?"

Asked whether it was the right decision to play, Hill said, "I don't know."

Hill said he intended to play Friday.

"I think he's getting close to well," D'Antoni said. "We've got to get him more involved and more aggressive. We need to run and push it."

Classic D'Antology.

This guy's hurt, so he needs to run faster and push harder.

At least he finally found a new way to say 'go'.