PDA

View Full Version : Concert Review: Rush

whottt
04-24-2008, 02:57 AM
I worked this concert tonight and they kicked ass.

Let me clarify a couple of points real quick...

1. I've only seen Rush one other time, in 1981 on the Permanent Waves tour. That was right before, or right when, they had begun turning from a hard rock band into some kind of progressive synth band or whatever the hell they were for most of the 80's.

2. I haven't bought or liked a new Rush Album since about 1983. It wasn't so much that I thought they sucked, I just didn't like when they started building their songs around synthesizers.

All that said...

These guys were when I first saw them, and remain to this day, the most talented pure musicians, instrumentally, to ever comprise a rock band. They put out a hell of a lot of sound for 3 men, and they are all excellent on their instrugments. Regardless of whether or not you like the direction they go in, these guys can all play...and even more amazingly their concert sound is exactly like their album sound, and they have no back up musicians. Now that's one thing when you are seeing them in 1981 and basically their songs are guitar, bass, drums...it's entirely another seeing them 2008 in their mid 50's playing a lot of their heavily produced synth stuff....and they have no backing musicians...it's all them. Geddy Lee should get some kind of award for playing bass, synthesizer, singing, and working the pedals, all at the same time...I don't see how he does it. And he's still a kickass bass player.

These guys are like the Tim Duncan of Rock Bands...seriously.

It's amazing enough for a band to recreate their studio sound live...but for a 3 man band to do it, especially with the sound Rush puts out, some of their songs being extremely electronic and musically complex with no backing musicians...these guys are amazing.

If anything...they're better musicians now than they were the first time I saw them which was probably at the peak of their popularity. Geddy Lee is actually a better singer now than he used to be...much better.

I think the only one that's declined a little is Neal Peart. He's not as fast on drums as he used to be, which, since he is the fastest drummer in history by like factor of 30, means he is still probably faster than anyone else, but he actually reminds me a lot more of someone like John Bonham now than Neal Peart....it's more about power than speed now.

They played quite a few songs I liked(although not a single one from the album my email adress comes from), and they played a bunch of new ones I had never heard before.

At some point they must have gone back to their hard rock sound because they played a ton of songs I had never heard before and these songs just about blasted me out of the arena, and these songs were built around Lifeson, which is something they had already begun to stop doing way back when I saw them in the 80's. Quite a few of these hard rocking songs came off their new album, and these were pretty much awesome. Best stuff I have heard from them in this style of music in forever. I'm definitely going to go buy their new album.

All in all...this is a fantastic show, and it's not an oldies tour or retirement tour as these things usually are. They play a lot of their old songs of course(and thank god), but these guys are a viable living breathing creating musical entity and they are all first rate musicians, better now than they were 20 years ago. If anything they seem more viable now creatively than they did for most of the 80s....better musically...and now that they have gotten over the mystifyingly stupid decision to make Alex Lifeson almost non-existent in their songs, they definitely fall back in the domain of being a hard rock band, which is what they do best.

I give them :tu :tu :tu :tu out of :tu :tu :tu :tu

That's not because I liked every song they played...it's that they played them all so well, even the ones I didn't like, all by themselves.

You want to go see a real band? Go check these guys out.

duncan228
04-24-2008, 03:13 AM
These guys are like the Tim Duncan of Rock Bands...seriously.

:lol

Glad you enjoyed it so much whottt. I saw lots of bands in my day but I never saw Rush. I've always heard their shows were good, it seems they're still at it.

MannyIsGod
04-24-2008, 03:39 AM
lol rush

mrsmaalox
04-24-2008, 07:29 AM
Never cared for any of their music. In high school and later, I worked at a Classic Rock radio station so I really got into (still do) those older bands but Rush never appealed to me.

ATRAIN
04-24-2008, 07:32 AM
Never cared for any of their music. In high school and later, I worked at a Classic Rock radio station so I really got into (still do) those older bands but Rush never appealed to me.

Those older bands??? Weren't they new bands for you back in the day?

travis2
04-24-2008, 07:41 AM
Most bands have guitar players, bass players, keyboard players, drummers...

Rush has musicians.

Whottt said it just right...even the songs you don't like, you can't deny the talent. And it's not all blind speed and power...all three of them are fundamentally sound on their instruments. When each gets their solo time, their riffs actually take you somewhere musically. They fit. It's not just how fast their fingers or hands move.

ATX Spur
04-24-2008, 07:41 AM
haha rush. you couldn't get deep purple tickets?

mrsmaalox
04-24-2008, 07:53 AM
Those older bands??? Weren't they new bands for you back in the day?

http://a1259.g.akamai.net/f/1259/5586/1d/images.art.com/images/-/Happy-Bunny---Kiss-Poster-C10281057.jpeg

ATRAIN
04-24-2008, 07:56 AM
http://a1259.g.akamai.net/f/1259/5586/1d/images.art.com/images/-/Happy-Bunny---Kiss-Poster-C10281057.jpeg

LMAO ill take that as a yes!!

Don Quixote
04-24-2008, 09:05 AM
I love Rush! They are probably my favorite band.

I saw them in 93 on the Counterparts tour, and again in 96. I missed my chance to catch them in New Orleans this past weekend because I had family in town.

I'll have to part company with you on their 80's stuff. I think their best albums were from that era: Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures, and especially Grace Under Pressure. Hold Your Fire was also a tremendous album. I like their 70's stuff, too, just not as much.

I even think Roll the Bones and Test for Echo were great, and Presto wasn't bad.

But I'm glad you go to go. Geddy Lee kicks butt on the bass, Neil Peart is one of the top rock drummers ever, and Alex Lifeson is underrated on the guitar. And the songwriting is top-notch.

remingtonbo2001
04-24-2008, 09:23 AM
Will definitely check them out.

Nice review.

Viva Las Espuelas
04-24-2008, 09:45 AM
i'd wish i'd gone to that permanent waves show. that's one of my favorite albums. i've seen them about 3 times and i become less and less interested in seeing them every time. peart's drum solo is the same thing rehashed ever since All Worlds a Stage. i hand it to them that theyve been doing it this long, but i'll just resort to downloading their live dvd's on demonoid.

whottt
04-24-2008, 09:58 AM
haha rush. you couldn't get deep purple tickets?

Real funny...I already clarified it wasn't like an oldies/retirement tour. And I didn't pay for it either...actually I got paid to watch it, great seat too. On top of that..these are fantastic musicians more skilled, more technically proficient, more musically diverse than most bands you will ever see.

whottt
04-24-2008, 10:06 AM
i'd wish i'd gone to that permanent waves show. that's one of my favorite albums. i've seen them about 3 times and i become less and less interested in seeing them every time. peart's drum solo is the same thing rehashed ever since All Worlds a Stage. i hand it to them that theyve been doing it this long, but i'll just resort to downloading their live dvd's on demonoid.

His drum solo is way diffrent now...I don't know when the last time you saw them was but he's added quite a bit of stuff to his solo from the last time I saw him, including a tribute to Buddy Rich. Like I said, he can't really just go out there and blow you away with his speed anymore(either that or elects not to do so)....he does a lot of different stuff now.

On a side note...for part of the night I was guarding his motorcycles. He's got a nice selection of Harleys and BMWs...actually had one delivered before the concert. Must be nice to be a multimillionaire.

whottt
04-24-2008, 10:09 AM
I love Rush! They are probably my favorite band.

I saw them in 93 on the Counterparts tour, and again in 96. I missed my chance to catch them in New Orleans this past weekend because I had family in town.

I'll have to part company with you on their 80's stuff. I think their best albums were from that era: Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures, and especially Grace Under Pressure. Hold Your Fire was also a tremendous album. I like their 70's stuff, too, just not as much.

I even think Roll the Bones and Test for Echo were great, and Presto wasn't bad.

Yeap...we definitely like completely different styles of Rush music. Grace Under Pressure is exactly when I started losing interest in them musicially...and that Power Windows Big Money Stuff...man I don't see how that stuff compares to any of their stuff that came before...but I do want to hear more of their new album.

Shelly
04-24-2008, 10:17 AM
I would put Neal Peart as one of the top 10 rock drummers of all time. He's incredible.

Spurminator
04-24-2008, 10:39 AM
I declined to see them this time around because the set list is almost identical to the set list from last summer. And at the time I was a little disappointed in the set list because the new album hadn't really grown on me and they played something like five songs in a row from the album, which I thought kinda killed the crowd's enthusiasm for a while.

But I've come around on the new album recently and actually like it a lot now, and I just picked up Snakes & Arrows Live and have grown to appreciate the set list more than I did when I saw them. And the more I think about it, I like that they play a lot of new material when they tour in support of an album, because if you are able to get bootlegs or concert CDs of past tours, you can hear a lot more of their material live. If they were doing their greatest hits every show, I'd only need one live CD and I'd be set.

As for the different phases of their career, I like them all... It's almost like Rush are my three favorite bands. I LOVE Grace Under Pressure and Power Windows, I think lyrically that's some of the best stuff Peart has written. They dropped the synth stuff with 1994's Counterparts album, which is also one of my favorites.

But really, I have a different favorite Rush album every couple of months. Right now it's probably Permanent Waves, mainly because I've come around on "Entre Nous" which is one of those album cuts that I had largely ignored in the past but have really grown to like recently.

Steve_Javie
04-24-2008, 11:49 AM
Neal Pert is god

Don Quixote
04-24-2008, 12:50 PM
Yeap...we definitely like completely different styles of Rush music. Grace Under Pressure is exactly when I started losing interest in them musicially...and that Power Windows Big Money Stuff...man I don't see how that stuff compares to any of their stuff that came before...but I do want to hear more of their new album.

Grace Under Pressure was a tremendous album. It was a triumphant blend of hard rock and synths, and the songwriting was extremely strong.

I like Power Windows less, but The Big Money is one of my favorite Rush songs of all time. The Manhattan Project is a great song too.

Agitator
04-24-2008, 12:54 PM
Rush?

You're serious?

OMFG.

I had a roomie who thought Rush was some kind of geniuses. He was a jerk.

I see some definite non-jerks here who like Rush, but I have never seen the attraction. Waaaaay to old for me.

whottt
04-24-2008, 01:30 PM
Rush?

You're serious?

OMFG.

I had a roomie who thought Rush was some kind of geniuses. He was a jerk.

I don't know if I'd call them geniuses...more like consumate musicians with a sound and style all their own.

Neal Peart might be the only one that could lay claim to being a genius except that...he's a drummer.

Waaaaay to old for me.

Ahh for the days when I wore my musical immarutity like a proud badge of honor...that attitude on your part will change.

Being old doesn't mean it sucks and being new doesn't mean it's good...that attitude just means you are close minded...which is an ironic way to be when it comes to music...if you think about it.

Don Quixote
04-24-2008, 02:24 PM
Agreed. Rock is nothing like what it used to be. In fact, I would say that the majority of the "energy" and attention rock gets is by looking backward to its past. I can't think of a single rock group that has come out in the past 10 years that has achieved anything other than niche success. This is not to say that the newer bands suck, but for whatever reason they're not achieving the superstardom that rock groups used to get, and that hip-hop and rap artists get now.

Shoot ... even the great modern rock bands (Wilco, Radiohead, Switchfoot) have been around more than 10 years,

But when people think of rock, they think The Beatles, Led Zep, AC/DC, Guns n Roses, ZZ Top, Rush -- bands that are quite old.

But Rush, in my opinion, is the greatest of them all.

mrsmaalox
04-24-2008, 02:35 PM
Neal Peart might be the only one that could lay claim to being a genius except that...he's a drummer.

EEeeek don't let Viva see that!!

Ahh for the days when I wore my musical immarutity like a proud badge of honor...that attitude on your part will change.

Being old doesn't mean it sucks and being new doesn't mean it's good...that attitude just means you are close minded...which is an ironic way to be when it comes to music...if you think about it.

I totally agree. How can a person call themselves a music lover if they don't love all music?

Fat Bones
04-24-2008, 03:56 PM
Fantastic review, Whott.

I loved Rush when I finally discovered All The World's a Stage and 2112. I remember toting a record player to a party on the side of the Blossom Athletic Center and playing a lot of that and Paranoid.

Heh.

I believe I had everything they had released up to around Roll The Bones, and then almost completely lost interest. Moving Pictures remains a favorite, as well as Hemispheres. While I liked Grace Under Pressure, that was when I began to look elsewhere. I've probably seen Rush perform at least 10 times and they have never disappointed. Not nearly same energy as TOOL in 03, but always consummate professional performances that rocked. I believe 03 was the last tour I caught of theirs.

I have little patience for most of the classic stuff anymore, but I'd go this year if someone else bought me a ticket.

:toast