PDA

View Full Version : Please finish.

SPARKY
01-19-2005, 10:43 PM
That's all I ask. Finish when you're at the rim. Oh yeah, and stop passing up good looks.

SequSpur
01-19-2005, 10:46 PM
Typical Crunch Time For A Pop Coached Team.

Sense
01-19-2005, 10:48 PM
Finish close games you mean?

Most of the close games are close to being lost, or make us have doubts.

Being 1st in point difference has affected is somehow, because Tim isn't stepping up in close games.

SequSpur
01-19-2005, 10:49 PM
Nice Foul Rasho. Gettin used as usual.

SequSpur
01-19-2005, 10:50 PM
Kaman schooling the Spurs on defense and rebounding.

Where is the Center?

TwoHandJam
01-19-2005, 10:51 PM
Somebody wake me up when Tim does something for us in crunch time.

Been a looooooong time...

ducks
01-19-2005, 10:54 PM
(0:53) [SAN] Duncan Running Dunk: Missed Block: Brand (3 BLK)

atleast he took it strong

SPARKY
01-19-2005, 10:57 PM
TP takes it strong to the rim instead of launching the bad 23 footer. Nice.

exstatic
01-19-2005, 11:06 PM
The one thing I notice is that Tim has no elevation. On that ballfake/drive, even earlier this year he jams for an and1. Don't know if it's tiredness or injury, but he got no hops. It's affecting his D and rebounding, too.

GoSpurs21
01-19-2005, 11:09 PM
I am not gonna rag on Tim, but it is funny listening to everyone blame everyone not named Duncan for the 4th quarter. So what should Pop have done? Benched Duncan?

I just curious that all the monday morning quarter backs have a solution, when the real solution is Tony "Fucking Clutch" Parker.

TwoHandJam
01-19-2005, 11:10 PM
(0:53) [SAN] Duncan Running Dunk: Missed Block: Brand (3 BLK)

atleast he took it strong
Yeah, he did but no one can argue that he's been a shadow of himself lately. Especially when it comes to bailing out the team and willing the Spurs to a victory when they're struggling. That's the MVP's job. It's gotten to the point where I don't even expect Pop to go to him in crunch time because he's been so unreliable lately.

It's not entirely a bad thing that other guys have had to step up when games are on the line but it really scares me that our franchise player hasn't asserted himself in so long. I've read the stories about him being sick and banged up but so is everyone in the NBA to some degree. I just really wish I knew what is up with him lately.

TwoHandJam
01-19-2005, 11:12 PM
The one thing I notice is that Tim has no elevation. On that ballfake/drive, even earlier this year he jams for an and1. Don't know if it's tiredness or injury, but he got no hops. It's affecting his D and rebounding, too.
You just noticed that now? I've been pointing that out for at least two weeks.

GoSpurs21
01-19-2005, 11:22 PM
You just noticed that now? I've been pointing that out for at least two weeks.Its one thing to notice, what is your solution to helping Tim get back to his MVP self?

Hats of to Tim for that great D on paperclips last shot. Especially since he has the flu. Didnt anyone tell the Spurs that flu shots have been available since the beginning of the year. The shortage of flu shots was over weeks ago.

exstatic
01-19-2005, 11:27 PM
It seems he's fresh at the beginning of games, though, which leads me to believe that it's fatigue/illness, not injury. There haven't been all that many games where he's had to play big minutes. What really keyed me in was the Spur possession before the ballfake/drive. He was fed the ball in the high post, and without even checking the defense, he kicked it back out. It was like "I'm gassed, here is a pick, go get 'em". I don't think I remember seeing Tim just take a token touch on offense like that before, especially not in the high post. He usually at least scans the D for a cutter, or if his man is sagging off, he shoots that little elbow jumper. My money is on illness/flu recovery.

TwoHandJam
01-19-2005, 11:32 PM
If he has the flu, Pop should have sat him after he didn't show any improvement during the first week. The flu generally lasts 4-5 days and considering the physical condition Tim is in and the great medical staff, it shouldn't be dragging on this long. The wear and tear of all the games is prolonging his recovery and putting him at risk for injury or contracting another illness in his weakened condition.

GoSpurs21
01-19-2005, 11:33 PM
would anyone be against sitting Tim out in these up coming games? at Port, NO, at LA, at Char

If he is still sick. Or at least limiting his minutes to 20 in those games.

If Nash is out for Friday's game I would really like to see Tim play limited minutes in that game as well.

ChumpDumper
01-19-2005, 11:34 PM
So we can all add MDs to our coach/GM/scout/political commentator/military analyst/prop comic resumes....

TwoHandJam
01-19-2005, 11:42 PM
So we can all add MDs to our coach/GM/scout/political commentator/military analyst/prop comic resumes....
Alas, notwithstanding our varied credentials you are one of the few that has attained those elusive "village idiot" skills.

ducks
01-19-2005, 11:45 PM
twohanjam tp said in his inteerview for his website that duncan has flu like symptons
I believe tp because it is not the local media

TwoHandJam
01-19-2005, 11:50 PM
twohanjam tp said in his inteerview for his website that duncan has flu like symptons
I believe tp because it is not the local media
I know ducks. That was posted on this forum recently. It's just unusual to have flu symptoms that last over two weeks don't you think? Especially given the medical attention available to an athlete like Tim. It's clear that he's still struggling after all this time so wouldn't maybe sitting a couple of games along the way have helped?

T Park
01-19-2005, 11:53 PM
Typical Crunch Time For A Pop Coached Team.

Yeah, if only we had John Lucas or Bob Hill who led us to those many titles.

ducks
01-19-2005, 11:55 PM
I know ducks. That was posted on this forum recently. It's just unusual to have flu symptoms that last over two weeks don't you think? Especially given the medical attention available to an athlete like Tim. It's clear that he's still struggling after all this time so wouldn't maybe sitting a couple of games along the way have helped?

I heard rumors that the whole team is passing it this on to each other

devin brown is the last one to get it

duncan is just the one that can not kick it

I know a person in az that had a cold for a month

ChumpDumper
01-19-2005, 11:55 PM
Especially given the medical attention available to an athlete like Tim.So don't you think the doctor may have said it doesn't matter if he plays.

Doctor?

ShoogarBear
01-20-2005, 12:00 AM
A week or more for actual true-blue influenza would not be exceptional, as opposed to your normal run-of-the-mill winter viral illness. Post-influenza fatigue may last for several weeks as well.

If he actually has the flu, it's a testament to his conditioning and medical care that he has been able to play at all.

Of greater concern would be making sure that he didn't transmit to the rest of team.

TwoHandJam
01-20-2005, 12:02 AM
So don't you think the doctor may have said it doesn't matter if he plays.

Doctor?
Yeah, I know I always feel better when I play a grueling schedule of contact sports in different cities when I have flu-like symptoms. I just feel it gives my immune system an edge in kicking the virus.

Moron?

T Park
01-20-2005, 12:03 AM
id say two hand that duncan has seen the team doctor.

TwoHandJam
01-20-2005, 12:06 AM
Of greater concern would be making sure that he didn't transmit to the rest of team.I hope you're a doctor otherwise you couldn't possibly suggest this. Expect a reprimand from the forum watchdog.

Spurminator
01-20-2005, 12:06 AM
I'm sure it has been determined that Duncan can play without making his "ailments" more serious. I, for one, am happy to have him out there even at 50%, unless he's a detrement to the team.

Can anyone honestly say that having him on the floor in any capacity is a negative?

TwoHandJam
01-20-2005, 12:08 AM
id say two hand that duncan has seen the team doctor.
Without question, however my guess is that he decided to gut it out and it might be making his recovery time longer than it has to be. 13.7 ppg over the last 3 games is very unusual for Tim.

ChumpDumper
01-20-2005, 12:10 AM
Yeah, I know I always feel better when I play a grueling schedule of contact sports in different cities when I have flu-like symptoms. I just feel it gives my immune system an edge in kicking the virus.So he has a virus now? You certainly do know it all, doc.

TwoHandJam
01-20-2005, 12:12 AM
I'm sure it has been determined that Duncan can play without making his "ailments" more serious. I, for one, am happy to have him out there even at 50%, unless he's a detrement to the team.

Can anyone honestly say that having him on the floor in any capacity is a negative?
That's hard to assess. He's definitely been a liability on the floor in some of the games we've been in lately. Especially in the fourth when Pop goes to him more often.

We'll never know if we might have been better off having him rest and probably recover more quickly for the price of dropping some games. With our record, I think we could have afforded it.

Also, as Shoogar pointed out and ducks confirmed, he has transmitted this bug to others on the team. Probably not a good thing.

TwoHandJam
01-20-2005, 12:15 AM
So he has a virus now? You certainly do know it all, doc.
I may have found something for your impotency as well but this isn't the place to discuss it. Make sure to ask me about the blue pills later. Run along now.

boutons
01-20-2005, 12:15 AM
About finishing, Kaman head faked a move to go up against Bruce, Bruce blinked, and missed the layup. Kaman seems to know how to play the game.

ChumpDumper
01-20-2005, 12:16 AM
Why run along, doc? You got all the knowledge and the diagnosis and the treatment and the prognosis. You got it all.

Duncan in a bubble for two weeks -- we get it, doc.

Spurminator
01-20-2005, 12:18 AM
Duncan's mere presence on the floor completely changes the other team's defensive options. He could have Leprosy, and he would still be double teamed, freeing up shooters.

Without Tim, we have heavy minutes of Rasho/Malik frontcourts. Without Tim, we lose tonight. And I have a feeling in my gut that we'd see some "Tim Duncan is soft and should play through minor cold symptoms like a real MVP" threads.

Also, as Shoogar pointed out and ducks confirmed, he has transmitted this bug to others on the team. Probably not a good thing.

I believe they suggested this could happen, not that it had. And I also believe that team doctors have probably taken that into consideration.

I've got no problem loosening up the 4-Down if Tim is playing at 50-75%, but I don't see any reason to sit him out.

TwoHandJam
01-20-2005, 12:20 AM
About finishing, Kaman head faked a move to go up against Bruce, Bruce blinked, and missed the layup. Kaman seems to know how to play the game.
He's a hustler with height and he's got skills. Wouldn't mind having him in Silver and Black if the price is right.

ChumpDumper
01-20-2005, 12:21 AM
Look, do you consider the Spurs to be a team that plays fast and loose with the health of its franchise player?

Be honest.

Hell, I think Pop would sit Duncan just to avoid coaching the ASG.

TwoHandJam
01-20-2005, 12:27 AM
Look, do you consider the Spurs to be a team that plays fast and loose with the health of its franchise player?

Be honest.

Hell, I think Pop would sit Duncan just to avoid coaching the ASG.
No, I don't. They are usually very careful with the health of their players. But you have to admit that this "slump" Tim is in due to his health is longer than any subpar stretch I've seen from him before. I'm not the only one who thinks this either. Timvp in his last grades said something to the effect that it's the worst funk he's ever seen Tim in and Kori's noticed it as well.

It's certainly disconcerting and it makes me believe they may have called it wrong with letting him play. Yes, Tim's effective when he's on the court but what if some rest and maybe dropping a couple of games would have allowed him to be back earlier in true MVP form? Right now we still don't know when he'll come around.

ChumpDumper
01-20-2005, 12:32 AM
Right now we still don't know when he'll come around.Yep.

And?

If they really think it'll help, he'll sit. The kind of rest your talking about must preclude ANY kind of activity, so practice and conditioning is out too. Is that the best thing to do when we indeed don't know when he'll get over it? When we don't even know what it is?

T Park
if Duncan says hes fine, and you sit him down anyways, wouldnt that piss him off??

I dont know, thats just my opinion you wouldnt do that.

Duncan to me looks pathetic out there,and while he is sucking the defense away, hes looking very lethargic out there.

BTW, I wouldn't put it past pop to sabotage going to the all star game by sitting his starting five for two straight games before Feb 6th.

TwoHandJam
Duncan's mere presence on the floor completely changes the other team's defensive options. He could have Leprosy, and he would still be double teamed, freeing up shooters.

Without Tim, we have heavy minutes of Rasho/Malik frontcourts. Without Tim, we lose tonight. And I have a feeling in my gut that we'd see some "Tim Duncan is soft and should play through minor cold symptoms like a real MVP" threads.

I believe they suggested this could happen, not that it had. And I also believe that team doctors have probably taken that into consideration.

I've got no problem loosening up the 4-Down if Tim is playing at 50-75%, but I don't see any reason to sit him out.Ducks said there were rumours of the bug making the rounds on the team and that Devin was the last victim. I think Devin's recent bout was confirmed in the press.

I'm always wary of playing someone at less then 100%, especially someone who's fatigued like Tim. When you're tired, the chance for injury is very elevated.

TwoHandJam
01-20-2005, 12:38 AM
Yep.

And?

If they really think it'll help, he'll sit. The kind of rest your talking about must preclude ANY kind of activity, so practice and conditioning is out too. Is that the best thing to do when we indeed don't know when he'll get over it? When we don't even know what it is?Given how unusually long he's taking to get over it, maybe he really needs to rest. Certainly not resting isn't helping the situation. I don't think you can argue that rest doesn't aid the immune response or most healing processes in general. And as I mentioned before, playing fatigued is like playing russian roulette with injury.

T Park
01-20-2005, 12:45 AM
I wouldn't say its sickness, or injury.

I think hes freakin tired thanks to the goddamn olympics.