PDA

View Full Version : Jeanne Jakle: Spurs nail scripts for TV spots

TDfan2007
04-24-2008, 12:41 PM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/columnists/stories/MYSA041108.01P.jakle.13937b2.html

San Antonio Express-News

The directors behind Oscar-nominated movie "Little Miss Sunshine" came to San Antonio this week to capture the more dramatic — and vulnerable — sides of Spurs Tim Duncan, Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili.
They came away impressed by each player's confidence, energy and quickness in front of the camera.

The shoot was for an ambitious new TV campaign by the NBA that's pegged to the upcoming playoffs and will air on ABC, TNT and ESPN. You'll also be able to find the spots online, on sites such as NBA.com and YouTube.

Using state-of-the-art equipment, the spots will morph together the faces of two top players from rival teams as they speak in sync about their strong emotions and goals concerning the playoffs. More than 20 different commercials will air, representing the best teams of the season. Every promo ends with the line (which is also the title of the campaign), "There can only be one," referring to the team that nabs the championship.

Duncan, Parker and Ginobili all "nailed" their spots beautifully, said husband-and-wife directing duo Jonathan Dayton and Valerie Faris, whose credits not only include "Little Miss Sunshine," but also a slew of music videos for bands such as Red Hot Chili Peppers and R.E.M. Huge basketball fans themselves, they also directed the memorable LeBron James Powerade spot (where he makes consecutive full-court shots).

One spot I've seen premiered last Sunday. It paired former Laker teammates Kobe Bryant and Shaquille O'Neal. The way the two speak of the "fear" that fills them toward the end of a season is both moving and chilling.

Here are the words from that "Fear" spot: "There's so many emotions at the end of the season. And nobody likes to talk about it, but one of them is fear. Fear that you could come this far, and it could all end. The dream could die. But me, I like the fear. It means I'm close. It means I'm ready."

Duncan also will be seen and heard speaking the "Fear" words; the opponent he will be paired with has not been decided.

As for Ginobili and Parker, they filmed two other emotionally charged segments about hard work and being remembered.

Look for the first of the Spurs spots as early as Wednesday or Thursday of next week, said NBA spokeswoman Francine Winiker.

Meanwhile, I got these tidbits in a conference call with the directing duo, who recalled enthusiastically their time spent with Tim, Manu and Tony.

The shoot started with a great video portrait of each player; their faces were lit in a way to emphasize their uniqueness, their drama and strength.

None was nervous and all were fast learners; they did their best to commit the script to memory, even though they had the help of an audio ear device. They also connected wonderfully with the words; none sounded the least bit false.

"Tim was very real," Faris said. "It's amazing to actually look him in the eye — at eye level." (They explained that the usual view is either looking down at him from the stands or looking up at this very tall guy.

It was great to see him show some vulnerability, Faris said, "when he didn't have his game face on." She also described him as "very modest and aware people don't expect him to be passionate or wild."

Both termed the accents of Ginobili and Parker "really cool," and Dayton predicted how striking it would sound if they're paired with players without accents. They toyed with the idea of having Tony do his in French, as the director of photography also was French, but ended up nixing that.

"Manu didn't make any mistakes," Faris recalled. He hungrily "attacked the script, wanted to do a good job."

As for Parker, they couldn't say enough about that incredible face of his. (People magazine didn't name him one of the "most beautiful" for nothing.) He also filled the room with a lot of energy, they said, and seemed to have great fun at the shoot.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____

I can't wait to see these ads...although I don't know why nba.com is taking so long to put them up.

BonnerDynasty
04-24-2008, 12:43 PM
repost but...

wtf is taking so long...

All these scrubs in most of these commercials and no spurs.

Trainwreck2100
04-24-2008, 12:44 PM
two weeks ago called

Trainwreck2100
04-24-2008, 12:45 PM
repost but...

wtf is taking so long...

All these scrubs in most of these commercials and no spurs.

That Nash Kidd one will prob stop soon

1Parker1
04-24-2008, 02:08 PM
The Nash/Kidd one is the only one I've seen that looks a little odd. The others look slightly normal. haha

I bet Parker is paired up with Chris Paul. Ginobili may be paired up with Rip Hamilton?

I would think Duncan would be paired with KG, but I think I saw the KG with Lebron one. So Duncan may be with Dwight Howard.

What do you guys think will be paired with whom? Let's see who ends up right. :lol

Shaolin-Style
04-24-2008, 02:10 PM
I thought Dwight Howard/Chris Paul already had one?

1Parker1
04-24-2008, 02:12 PM
Oh, I haven't seen that one. I've seen three I think. The Kobe/Shaq, Lebron/KG, and Kidd/Nash one.

SAtown
04-24-2008, 02:14 PM
"Manu didn't make any mistakes," Faris recalled. He hungrily "attacked the script, wanted to do a good job."

:hat As usual.

phyzik
04-24-2008, 02:14 PM
The Nash/Kidd one is the only one I've seen that looks a little odd. The others look slightly normal. haha

I bet Parker is paired up with Chris Paul. Ginobili may be paired up with Rip Hamilton?

I would think Duncan would be paired with KG, but I think I saw the KG with Lebron one. So Duncan may be with Dwight Howard.

What do you guys think will be paired with whom? Let's see who ends up right. :lol

Duncan with Dirk maybe.

MaNuMaNiAc
04-24-2008, 02:26 PM
n2hrjeZfTVg

boutons_
04-24-2008, 02:27 PM
"capture the more dramatic — and vulnerable — sides"

"It was great to see him show some vulnerability, Faris said"

what bullshit. vulnerability? who cares? what is the point of capturing vulnerability? how real can the vulnerability be repeating a script before cameras?

People are fucking nuts.

NBA Finals won't be followed by 95%+ of America, no matter how much vulnerability BS Stern spreads around.

Princess Pimp
04-24-2008, 02:34 PM
Are there any of Spurs players??

So far I haven't seen any I wonder why? :lol

WildcardManu
04-24-2008, 03:22 PM
there's dwight/cp3 already

wildbill2u
04-24-2008, 03:55 PM

If they paired them up by position, I'd think Manu with Iverson. Parker with Williams of Utah?

CosmicCowboy
04-24-2008, 05:28 PM
Those commercials are fucking awful. I was really hoping the Spurs would pull a Nancy Reagan and just say no.

milkyway21
04-24-2008, 08:23 PM
Duncan, Parker and Ginobili all "nailed" their spots beautifully,...:D

I thought I saw a highlight of Duncan wearing white boxing gloves doing some routines. Was that an ad? When was that?

BonnerDynasty
04-24-2008, 08:27 PM
Ginobili and Parker together.

Ducan and the LOB Trophy.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
04-24-2008, 08:41 PM
"capture the more dramatic — and vulnerable — sides"

"It was great to see him show some vulnerability, Faris said"

what bullshit. vulnerability? who cares? what is the point of capturing vulnerability? how real can the vulnerability be repeating a script before cameras?

People are fucking nuts.

NBA Finals won't be followed by 95%+ of America, no matter how much vulnerability BS Stern spreads around.

:lol

kinda agree,

CP just looked like a wooden guy reading off a script. There isn't too much you can interpret from their participation in the commercial. Most of the scripts are bullshit. "For me? I like the feel." yeah yeah yeah...

ABC + Stern has been really really annoying in trying to push the NBA as this trendy product. I really hate the whole campaign. Especially the part where they pat themselves on the back for doing charitable works, pushing this agenda that the NBA has a soft image to people who don't give a damn about the NBA in the first place.

TMTTRIO
04-24-2008, 08:56 PM
I have to admit I miss all of these commercials. These were the best :).
mjpvXynyVHU

yBPlr7ERzwM

OwxbGEkvVIM

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
04-24-2008, 09:43 PM
I liked the 2005 season ABC campaign. Those were funny. "Manu? Tony?" :lol

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
04-24-2008, 10:00 PM
Another reason for the delay of the Spurs commercials is they're probably having a hard time pairing Manu with someone, nose to nose ratios and such.

thiste
04-24-2008, 10:54 PM
Another reason for the delay of the Spurs commercials is they're probably having a hard time pairing Manu with someone, nose to nose ratios and such.

And everybody looks ugly next to Tony :lol