PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Fourth Quarter Offense

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-19-2005, 11:01 PM
Good old sorry ass Pop damn throw it into Tim. Eight minutes without a FG.

Pick and roll would have been dumb to run when we needed a bucket, I mean Tony only had 15 points off of it in the third. If it weren't for that last bucket, Tony would have ended the game with the same number of points he ended the third with.

Thank God Manu found Tony on the kickout, or we would have lost another due to the "let's get Tim his touches" fourth quarter offense (the offense formerly known as 4down).

Oh and Bowen, you're 6'8". Dunk the damn ball.

ducks
01-19-2005, 11:03 PM
yes duncan is sick according to tp but we go to him
please

GoSpurs21
01-19-2005, 11:07 PM
I you were Pop and Tim asked for the ball late in the 4th quarter could you really say no?

I mean its easy to be a monday morning quarterback (coach whatever).

Thank god for Mr Clutch..........Tony Parker

I am wearing my Parker jersey to the next home game I have tickets for...the Sac game.

Ginofan
01-19-2005, 11:09 PM
Mr.4th Quarter and Tony came up big for us at the end...thank god. We can't keep underestimating these type of teams...we need to take every game like it's the POs.

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-19-2005, 11:11 PM
Spare me. Tim's been sick or hurt for two weeks now, because it's been at least that long since he showed anything in a fourth quarter.

I'd doubt very seriously knowing Tim's personality that he's screaming for the ball, more than likely Pop is screaming for everyone to give it to Tim.

Tony was on fire tonight. This isn't the first time (think LA, playoffs - not last year but before that) I've watched Tony absolutely rip a team to shreds for the first half or three quarters of a game only to watch us go all Tim, all the time and try to piss away a game in the fourth.

Maybe Duncan will come around (I hope to God he does for the playoffs) but right now he's not one of the two best players on the floor for us, and that needs to be taken into account when we're running our offensive sets.

Something's wrong with Tim, and whatever it is I don't think is going to get better if we keep trying to ride him for entire fourth quarters while other teams beat the shit out of him defensively every time down the court.

LA couldn't stop Tony, but our play calling very nearly did.

Mark in Austin
01-19-2005, 11:14 PM
LA couldn't stop Tony, but our play calling very nearly did.

true.

Ginofan
01-19-2005, 11:15 PM
Tim needs to sit out a game or two, full games. He needs to rest and get well...he can't do that when he continues to play.

GoSpurs21
01-19-2005, 11:42 PM
Spare me. Tim's been sick or hurt for two weeks now, because it's been at least that long since he showed anything in a fourth quarter.

I'd doubt very seriously knowing Tim's personality that he's screaming for the ball, more than likely Pop is screaming for everyone to give it to Tim.

Tony was on fire tonight. This isn't the first time (think LA, playoffs - not last year but before that) I've watched Tony absolutely rip a team to shreds for the first half or three quarters of a game only to watch us go all Tim, all the time and try to piss away a game in the fourth.

Maybe Duncan will come around (I hope to God he does for the playoffs) but right now he's not one of the two best players on the floor for us, and that needs to be taken into account when we're running our offensive sets.

If guess if we had Nellie or one of the other stellar coach (not to win a championship) call the gimic play that would have lost us this game.

Something's wrong with Tim, and whatever it is I don't think is going to get better if we keep trying to ride him for entire fourth quarters while other teams beat the shit out of him defensively every time down the court.

LA couldn't stop Tony, but our play calling very nearly did.Just because Pop called plays for Duncan doesnt mean Tony had to run them. I think its easy to blaim Pop, but since the Spurs play team ball maybe Tim should have told Pop to call other plays? I mean isnt that the sign of a true leader to share the responsibility and deligate to the other players?

I'm sure Nellie or one of the other non championship winning coaches would have called some gimic play that would have resulted in a Spurs loss

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-19-2005, 11:45 PM
Just because Pop called plays for Duncan doesnt mean Tony had to run them

Yeah, I see Parker staying on the court after telling Pop to fuck off. Really, I do.

GoSpurs21
01-19-2005, 11:47 PM
Yeah, I see Parker staying on the court after telling Pop to fuck off. Really, I do.What about Tim telling Pop, I just dont have the legs tonight call someone elses number? How come you dont address that possibility?

Are you that short sighted? I mean the Spurs play team ball. So if Tim's number is being called over and over, and he doesnt have it, is it only on Pops sholders? Pop trusts Tim, Tim needs to learn that if he doesnt have it to trust his team mates and tell Pop to call another play. Thats the definition of a true leader (MVP).

boutons
01-19-2005, 11:48 PM
Tim, 5-13 FGs.

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-19-2005, 11:50 PM
Because that's not Tim's personality.

Similarly, Pop's personality is such that Tony waving off Pop's play calling would result in a Malik-esque pining.

Devin Brown just said on the news, when asked about the end of the game, that Pop wanted the ball in Duncan or Manu's hands (well he got it half right), no one else's, on the last play.

GoSpurs21
01-19-2005, 11:54 PM
Because that's not Tim's personality.

Similarly, Pop's personality is such that Tony waving off Pop's play calling would result in a Malik-esque pining.

Devin Brown just said on the news, when asked about the end of the game, that Pop wanted the ball in Duncan or Manu's hands (well he got it half right), no one else's, on the last play.Well then maybe both Pop and Tim need to swallow some pride and do whats best for the team. And since Tony was the only one bringing his A game tonight I dont see how Pop would have benched him, especially if Tony desisions resulted in points.

But I guess Pop haters can always put all the blame on Pop. Spurs won get over your hate

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-19-2005, 11:58 PM
Because it's Pop. His system has always been "my way or the highway." You run what Pop wants you to run, or you sit.

I don't know how long you've been a Spurs fan, but Pop's lips have always been firmly attached to Tim's rear end. Tim's the only one who can take Tim out, and I guess you're right in that he needs to swallow some pride and do that.

But at the same time, Pop has been prodding him to become "the leader" of the team, so with that in mind I don't think you'd see Tim say "gee, I'm sucking, better take me out."

And I don't think that Tim would be offended or get pissed at Pop if he called a play for someone else, that's why in that regard I think the onus is on Pop to ride the hot hand until Tim gets over whatever he's got. And right now that hot hand unequivocably belongs to Tony.

exstatic
01-20-2005, 12:04 AM
Good old sorry ass Pop damn throw it into Tim. Eight minutes without a FG.

Spare us. The only times I saw Tim get the ball during that drought were in the high post, and within the offense. I agree he couldn't hit water, but neither could anyone else during that stretch. They went 0-11 at one stretch, and at least FIVE of those shots hit the rim twice or more. They got some bad bounces tonight.

exstatic
01-20-2005, 12:06 AM
Look at the reboudning stats. LA beat SA by ten in that department. That was what almost killed us, NOT 4down.

GoSpurs21
01-20-2005, 12:06 AM
Because it's Pop. His system has always been "my way or the highway." You run what Pop wants you to run, or you sit.

I don't know how long you've been a Spurs fan, but Pop's lips have always been firmly attached to Tim's rear end. Tim's the only one who can take Tim out, and I guess you're right in that he needs to swallow some pride and do that.

But at the same time, Pop has been prodding him to become "the leader" of the team, so with that in mind I don't think you'd see Tim say "gee, I'm sucking, better take me out."

And I don't think that Tim would be offended or get pissed at Pop if he called a play for someone else, that's why in that regard I think the onus is on Pop to ride the hot hand until Tim gets over whatever he's got. And right now that hot hand unequivocably belongs to Tony.I have been going to games since the 76-77 season. I have had 1/2 season tickets since 92-93 season. Since the Spurs are 32-9, their best season start ever and the Spurs have the best winning % over the last 7 years in any professional sports, I guess Pop doesnt know what the FUCK he is doing.

You stick to your Pop hate, Im sure it keeps you warm at night, Bob Hill.

exstatic
01-20-2005, 12:12 AM
Oh, and 89% FTs for SA tonight, AHF. :lol

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-20-2005, 12:22 AM
The FT shooting was great. We'll probably follow it up by hitting 50% Friday :(

ex, you're right we couldn't hit a thing during that stretch. So why not give the one guy who had been hitting all night (Tony) a chance?

He didn't get the ball in a position to score/pick and role situation the whole fourth quarter (until Manu drew the whole LA did and made the kickout with 10 seconds left).

GoSpurs21
01-20-2005, 12:28 AM
The FT shooting was great. We'll probably follow it up by hitting 50% Friday :(

ex, you're right we couldn't hit a thing during that stretch. So why not give the one guy who had been hitting all night (Tony) a chance?

He didn't get the ball in a position to score/pick and role situation the whole fourth quarter (until Manu drew the whole LA did and made the kickout with 10 seconds left).yet some more useful insite from Bob Hill. I guess this is why you are still coaching in the NBA.

I showed you my credetials, what are yours Spurs super fan (Pop hater)

Solid D
01-20-2005, 12:35 AM
Pick and rolls were only half effective tonight, as were pick and pops. The dribbler did fine but Duncan, Rose and Rasho were not a threat from 15-18 feet. Tim wasn't even taking his FT line jumper in the 4th quarter when it was open because noboday was hitting it. That shot was there any time the Spurs wanted it tonight, as were most of their 3 point attempts (2-15).

Tim did get the ball near the end there and tried to dunk it but it wasn't on a 4-down.

T Park
01-20-2005, 12:39 AM
Rasho were not a threat from 15-18 feet

He had 1 whole shot.

Whew, wouldn't want to try that again.

IMO, once again, the drill and pop play to Rasho at the FT is not run enough.

Hell, it helped beat the Timberwolves the game before christmas.

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-20-2005, 12:47 AM
What does Bob Hill have to do with anything?

Did you even watch the game? LA couldn't stop Tony tonight on the pick and roll (15 points in the third), yet until Tony got that pass from Manu with ten seconds to go, he hadn't gotten a look the entire fourth quarter.

Seriously, were you honestly sitting there watching us miss 11 straight FG attempts, go eight minutes without a field goal, thinking "one of these times with Tim it's gonna work out"?

Especially given Tim has been playing like ass for a good two weeks now, and obviously didn't have the lift or explosiveness that we've seen from him in the past.

This isn't rocket science, and doesn't take an NBA coach to see.

Is that you, TPark?

--------------

Solid, it wasn't all 4down. Tim got the ball in the high post on a few occasions, also got it outside the low block but in the midrange area.

The bottom line is, everything was going to Tim, no matter where he was on the court, in the fourth tonight. THere was no reason for that given 1) Tony Parker was on fire and has been for a good month now and 2) Tim is obviously hurt and/or sick and is not shooting well/jumping/playing with power/however you want to describe it.

GoSpurs21
01-20-2005, 12:55 AM
What does Bob Hill have to do with anything?

Did you even watch the game? LA couldn't stop Tony tonight on the pick and roll (15 points in the third), yet until Tony got that pass from Manu with ten seconds to go, he hadn't gotten a look the entire fourth quarter.

Seriously, were you honestly sitting there watching us miss 11 straight FG attempts, go eight minutes without a field goal, thinking "one of these times with Tim it's gonna work out"?

Especially given Tim has been playing like ass for a good two weeks now, and obviously didn't have the lift or explosiveness that we've seen from him in the past.

This isn't rocket science, and doesn't take an NBA coach to see.

Is that you, TPark?No I didnt get to see the game. I gave up my tickets (to tonights game) cause I am in Boston all this week (supporting a customer). Some of us have to work to support our Spurs ticket habit (and it is a habit, hence the 12 years). I agree that Duncan is not playing up to par, but I have been lobbying for him to sit out some games (like tonight) to get healthy.

I have read many of your posts and I dont understand your obsession with all the Pop hate (hence the Bob Hill reference) while you coddle Duncan. But my wonderful wife (bigger Spurs addict than me) has been kind enought to record the games so that I can watch on Friday when I get back home to Tejas sweet Texas, before the Spurs / Suns matchup.

You questioned my Spurs loyalty, so I showed you my resume, but I have yet to see yours. Defense win championships hence my loyalty to Pop.

SPARKY
01-20-2005, 12:55 AM
Thinking very deeply, if an opponent collapses on Duncan in the post does that not free up the guards for dribble penetration and shots a little bit more?

The Spurs already pay Rasho, Malik, Mass, and Horry to play off the ball and clean up the mess on the offensive end. Not going to your stud in the post at the end of games sounds like something an Aggie would argue. :)

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-20-2005, 02:03 AM
I agree that Duncan is not playing up to par, but I have been lobbying for him to sit out some games (like tonight) to get healthy.

Now that I can agree with you on.

And I don't "coddle" Duncan. I've just taken him to be a passive person out there, when teams play physical with him he disappears. All I have to go on is what I see him do on the court, but if I were an opposing team scout that'd be at the top of my list: play Duncan physical, and he'll go into a shell offensively.

He'd hardly blame free. I guess in a funny I figure if anyone is going to light a fire under Duncan's ass it's going to be Pop, but unfortunately he seems very hands off with his franchise player.

As for my resume, born and raised in SA, lived there all my life til' going to A&M. My first memories of the Spurs were in HemisFair, pissing off my dad's boss who always took us to the Spurs-Pacers game (dad's boss owned the Pacers) when we sat first row behind the Pacers bench with me cheering on the Spurs (but it was all in good fun!).

I guess my other claims to fame were the water hose game in the 'Dome, the Shaq VCR game, a perfect pic from row 35 of Sean's dunk on the night of his return, being in attendance for Dave's quad, and being there for Game 6 of the Nets series (and having an 8 AM class the next morning in College Station, walked in 20 minutes late, hungover sporting Spurs Championship t-shirt, cap).

At A&M I tried to catch the games when I could but I seemingly always got stuck with Calvin Murphy yapping about the Rockettes or even worse Houston Friggin' Aeros hockey :flipoff

Now I'm waiting on big brother for an intel job to go hunt down Osama's punk ass, and 4down makes my blood pressure rise.

LilMissSPURfect
01-20-2005, 10:16 AM
HOW bout' callin 4down in first qtr only & run the rest of the way..?

Duncan should get the ball in the first quarter & make a statement (make his presence felt)...then he draws the quadruple team ....(like against phoenix) then thats when TP & Manu take o'er..................

bigzak25
01-20-2005, 10:35 AM
eh...our Spurs finally won a close game. I'm happy.