PDA

View Full Version : Does KG Deserve the DPOY Award???

gasolina
04-24-2008, 04:28 PM
I wonder why the award went to KG. The NBA (or the press) stated that this
is due to the fact that he anchored the best defensive team in the league
this season. Really??? Then if such is the case, Bowen should've won it for
exactly the same reason. I tried to see if KG's stats will at least erase my
doubts.

With close scrutiny, it made me doubt even more. How can the NBA hand the
award to someone who finished 15th in defensive rebounds (Duncan is 4th)
36th in Blocks (Duncan is 9th) and 23rd in steals? The award should've gone
to Dwight Howard,Marcus Camby or even Chris Paul or Duncan (who should've
won it years ago).

We all know that TD is waaayyy better than KG at the defensive end. I sure
hope the NBA will review the criteria and selection procedures in naming the
DPOY awardees for the future.

TampaDude
04-24-2008, 04:33 PM
KG and the Celtics are the new darlings of the NBA...haven't you seen the Gatorade commercials every five minutes on ESPN, TNT, and NBA TV???

manufor3
04-24-2008, 04:39 PM
^^yes....

Spurminator
04-24-2008, 04:48 PM
It's better than someone like Marcus Camby getting it for numbers. I wish voters had decided this was the criteria for the last ten years too, but at least Garnett is a worthy choice for this year.

T Park
04-24-2008, 05:06 PM
It's better than someone like Marcus Camby getting it for numbers. I wish voters had decided this was the criteria for the last ten years too, but at least Garnett is a worthy choice for this year.

Agreed.

Better than Artest or Camby, or hell someone else.

polandprzem
04-25-2008, 01:42 PM
Artest is/was a damn great defender.

Now KG has MVP and DPOTY - Tim did not achived that

hater
04-25-2008, 01:43 PM
he deserves a kick in the balls for being such a corny bitch

Shaolin-Style
04-25-2008, 01:45 PM

Oh well, hes achieved one additional mvp and 3 finals mvps. I think TD still has the edge.

gasolina
04-25-2008, 01:46 PM

Which is why I wonder WTF the NBA has done to address the issue of giving awards to undeserving ballers. I feel that the DPOY to KG is simply a "make-up" or consolation prize for KG since the league already decided that KG is out of MVP contention.

It'll be either Kobe (who might end up winning it) or CP.

1Parker1
04-25-2008, 01:48 PM
Well, I can't disagree with giving it to KG neccesarily. However, whatever criteria they were basing it on...i.e player who sets the defensive tone for the best defensive team in the league, etc. it should be well noted that by this criteria Duncan and/or Bowen should have gotten in years ago and repeatedly.

As with everything else in these awards, it usually goes to players/teams who have the biggest turnaround from one year to the next. That's what makes it noticeable. I don't think KG's defense this season is any better than its been in the past when he was with the TWolves. But the fact that he's made the Celtics now one of the best defensive team, it's easy to see the difference.

People like Bowen and Duncan on the other hand play the same way year in and year out, so people aren't going to notice it as much IMO. That's why you rarely see Duncan end the regular season in Top 5 in MVP voting either. Even though to me, almost every year he should be a candidate hands down.

The DPOY became a joke officially when Marcus Camby won the award last season with the Nuggets tanked 29th in defense. Camby is a good defender, but grabbing defensive boards and blocking shots isn't what defense is all about. I wish the media who voted for this would look beyond stats. But no one does usually.

fyatuk
04-25-2008, 01:58 PM
KG and the Celtics are the new darlings of the NBA...haven't you seen the Gatorade commercials every five minutes on ESPN, TNT, and NBA TV???

Damn those get way beyond annoying when you see them at least once a commercial break. I swear a few nights ago they showed it 3 times in one break...

Well, I might have been channel surfing and just gotten unlucky, I don't remember...

ambchang
04-25-2008, 03:04 PM
I wonder why the award went to KG. The NBA (or the press) stated that this
is due to the fact that he anchored the best defensive team in the league
this season. Really??? Then if such is the case, Bowen should've won it for
exactly the same reason. I tried to see if KG's stats will at least erase my
doubts.

With close scrutiny, it made me doubt even more. How can the NBA hand the
award to someone who finished 15th in defensive rebounds (Duncan is 4th)
36th in Blocks (Duncan is 9th) and 23rd in steals? The award should've gone
to Dwight Howard,Marcus Camby or even Chris Paul or Duncan (who should've
won it years ago).

We all know that TD is waaayyy better than KG at the defensive end. I sure
hope the NBA will review the criteria and selection procedures in naming the
DPOY awardees for the future.

Do you know much about basketball? Stats != defense.

Camby is a terrible defender compared to the rep he has. Just watch him get abused by Gasol the last couple of games more or less confirmed it. In fact, last year vs. the Spurs, Camby didn't guard Duncan, Nene did, that tells you how good a defender Camby is.

Chris Paul is a sieve defensively, and D12, though decent, is no where close to the defensive greats in terms of footwork, positioning and timing.

KG deserves it, he changed the whole culture of the Celtics and helped them concentrate on defense. Not too much to argue there.

polandprzem
04-25-2008, 03:31 PM
Well, I can't disagree with giving it to KG neccesarily. However, whatever criteria they were basing it on...i.e player who sets the defensive tone for the best defensive team in the league, etc. it should be well noted that by this criteria Duncan and/or Bowen should have gotten in years ago and repeatedly.

As with everything else in these awards, it usually goes to players/teams who have the biggest turnaround from one year to the next. That's what makes it noticeable. I don't think KG's defense this season is any better than its been in the past when he was with the TWolves. But the fact that he's made the Celtics now one of the best defensive team, it's easy to see the difference.

People like Bowen and Duncan on the other hand play the same way year in and year out, so people aren't going to notice it as much IMO. That's why you rarely see Duncan end the regular season in Top 5 in MVP voting either. Even though to me, almost every year he should be a candidate hands down.

The DPOY became a joke officially when Marcus Camby won the award last season with the Nuggets tanked 29th in defense. Camby is a good defender, but grabbing defensive boards and blocking shots isn't what defense is all about. I wish the media who voted for this would look beyond stats. But no one does usually.

Nice and clean post as usual :tu

As Camby earned it Mark Eaton earned it

Typhoon
04-25-2008, 03:34 PM
Yes he does, KG is awesome.

Bob Lanier
04-25-2008, 03:49 PM
Did you just say Bruce Bowen anchored the Spurs defense the last few years?

Do you even think he's the best defensive player on your team?

dbreiden83080
04-25-2008, 04:30 PM

For his career Duncan has been the better defender though and he should have won that award in the past, he was very worthy of it several years.

G-Nob
04-25-2008, 04:36 PM
When is bruce gonna get his props?

dbreiden83080
04-25-2008, 04:37 PM
When is bruce gonna get his props?

Never unfortunately.

HarlemHeat37
04-25-2008, 07:11 PM
he definitely deserved it this year..if KG didn't play for Boston, he wouldn't have won it though IMO..Duncan has been doing the same thing, anchoring the top D, with even better stats, and has never won it..

both Duncan and KG should have multiple DPOY's, because they are the 2 best defenders of this generation IMO..

unfortunately, the voters like blocks and rebounds..Camby isn't even an average man defender, he's TERRIBLE..he's TERRIBLE at rotating as well..he gets blocks, so he gets love..it's disgusting..

lefty
04-25-2008, 07:19 PM
Stackhouse and J-Ho deserve the DPOY

TDfan2007
04-25-2008, 08:56 PM
Going by the criteria they're giving the award to KG for, Tim should have won the award at least 4 times by now. But since Tim plays for the Spurs he receives very little consideration for what he does by the media.

The real honors are all-NBA first team and all-defensive first team. Coaches vote for those awards and they're far more knowledgable and accurate in their picks than the media dumbasses that swarm ESPN's studios.

But to answer you're question, he isn't undeserving, but Bruce/Battier are just as deserving, if not more.