PDA

View Full Version : Los Barrios Matriarch found dead

Sunshine
04-24-2008, 04:45 PM
http://http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/metro/stories/MYSA042408.BodyFound.EN.96c6c3bc.html

Woman found dead in S.A. home

Web Posted: 04/24/2008 03:56 PM CDT

Lomi Kriel
Express-News

Viola B. Barrios, who as a single mother with three children started one of this city's best-known Mexican restaurants, was found slain inside her Northwest Side home Thursday, not long after firefighters extinguished a small blaze at the stone and brown-brick house.

Authorities have refused to say how Barrios was killed or where inside the home she was found. Firefighters discovered her at about 10 a.m. inside the house in the 10800 block of Tioga, and immediately knew it was a homicide, police spokesman Sgt. Gabe Trevino said, though he declined to release any details.

A silver Mercedes, with the Mercedes emblem missing, was taken from the home. Police asked that anyone with information about the E350 Mercedes, with Texas license plate 576 JGV, call authorities at 210-207-7635.

Investigators did not yet know if anything was missing. But her son, Louie Barrios, now the chief executive officer of the popular Los Barrios restaurant chain, said he thought it was a botched burglary. His mother had sold the house, he said, and was closing on it at the end of the month. Most of her possessions were packed up in boxes and he suspected someone had "felt her to be an easy target," because she lived alone at the home.

"It's a very sad day in my family's life," he said, in tears, as he stood outside the police tape that separated dozens of friends and relatives from the home. "Words cannot describe how we feel right now."

Barrios founded the restaurant in 1979, after unexpectedly losing her husband in a car accident and $10,000 on a bad investment. With three small children, and limited English, starting the restaurant was "a last hope," her son said.

Since then, the restaurant has expanded, Barrios and her relatives have made numerous appearances on national television shows, and published several cook books.

Thursday, at the Blanco location of their flagship restaurant, Juana Lara walked out of the building, sobbing. She has worked there for 17 years, she said, starting off in the kitchen and gradually progressing to a waitress.

"I'm in shock, really," the 48-year-old said. "I can't explain. I cannot believe it."

BacktoBasics
04-24-2008, 04:52 PM
I don't know why it came to mind but was this the lady that did the crispy taco throwdown with Bobby Flay?

Sunshine
04-24-2008, 04:55 PM
I don't know why it came to mind but was this the lady that did the crispy taco throwdown with Bobby Flay?

It was the daughter, Diana, that did the Throwdown with Bobby Flay. She's done a couple of other things on the Food Network and is a semi-regular on the morning new shows "in the kitchen" segments.

My b/f and I frequent the second restaurant, La Hacienda, quite often and we're really saddened to hear this. They seem like a genuinely nice family.

BacktoBasics
04-24-2008, 04:58 PM
It was the daughter, Diana, that did the Throwdown with Bobby Flay. She's done a couple of other things on the Food Network and is a semi-regular on the morning new shows "in the kitchen" segments.

My b/f and I frequent the second restaurant, La Hacienda, quite often and we're really saddened to hear this. They seem like a genuinely nice family.Strange thing is that all the years I lived in SA I haven't been to either.

degenerate_gambler
04-24-2008, 05:00 PM
That's sad...

Only two Mexican restaurants I will eat at are Los Barrios on Blanco and Jacala's on West Ave....both family owned for years.

degenerate_gambler
04-24-2008, 05:02 PM
They seem like a genuinely nice family.

They are and you can usually find Louis walking table to table shaking hands, talking w/customers any nite of the week at the original restaurant.

remingtonbo2001
04-24-2008, 05:03 PM
I've been there on a couple of occassions. Haven't been in a couple years though.

My prayers go out to the family.

Sunshine
04-24-2008, 05:04 PM
Strange thing is that all the years I lived in SA I haven't been to either.

I have only been to Los Barrios once, a long time ago. La Hacienda is out on Redland Rd close to where I live and I think it's one of the better Mexican places around.

That's sad...

Only two Mexican restaurants I will eat at are Los Barrios on Blanco and Jacala's on West Ave....both family owned for years.

My family has gone to Jacala's for YEARS, long before the added on and expanded. Great food.

BacktoBasics
04-24-2008, 05:07 PM
Yeah Jacala's is a favorite of mine

La Fogata
Jacala's
Rosarios
El Jarro
Bee's

pretty much my top 5 although I'm leaving out the old El Bosque and a few others

mrsmaalox
04-24-2008, 05:08 PM
The original one on Blanco is my favorite. Just a few weeks ago I was at La Hacienda with friends, and Diana was chatting with us about them FINALLY getting their mom to sell her house!! So sad, such a nice family.

Sunshine
04-24-2008, 05:10 PM
They are and you can usually find Louis walking table to table shaking hands, talking w/customers any nite of the week at the original restaurant.

You don't find that too often anymore.

To me, it's like they're saying "It's because of you that my restaurant has been a success and I want to thank you for coming."

Sunshine
04-24-2008, 05:15 PM
Yeah Jacala's is a favorite of mine

La Fogata
Jacala's
Rosarios
El Jarro
Bee's

pretty much my top 5 although I'm leaving out the old El Bosque and a few others

It would be hard for me to list my top 5, but in no particular order they would include:

La Hacienda
La Fogata
La Fonda
Jacala
Blanco Cafe

T Park
04-24-2008, 05:18 PM
Never been to any of those places.

Sorry to hear about her, though. Prayers out.

degenerate_gambler
04-24-2008, 05:23 PM
My family has gone to Jacala's for YEARS, long before the added on and expanded. Great food.

love it there..

and i'm usually on the hook to buy my girls on of those head halo thingys the lady outside sells if we're there on a weekend nite.

Sunshine
04-24-2008, 05:27 PM
love it there..

and i'm usually on the hook to buy my girls on of those head halo thingys the lady outside sells if we're there on a weekend nite.

:lol

She's always there! We're supposed to go there this weekend to celebrate my nephews birthdays. I can already taste the puffy tacos!

jcrod
04-24-2008, 05:37 PM
Sad, it's been a favorite of my familys since I've been little.

Dex
04-24-2008, 05:47 PM
I miss San Antonio. I've been to every one of the Mexican food places listed in this post, and they're all delicious.

Very sad news indeed. Condolences go out to the Barrios family :(

KEDA
04-24-2008, 09:01 PM
As a frequent attendee of La Hacienda, my thoughts and prayers go to the Barrios family.

marini martini
04-24-2008, 09:02 PM
How sad. My prayers go out. Started going there when the took over the old D.Q.

Sonia_TX
04-24-2008, 10:10 PM
I've never been to Los Barrios but it's sad to hear that news.

as for the other restaurants... Jacala is yummy! It's not too far from my house (5 minutes?) but we don't frequent it but I am sure we will go there this weekend since we have family from California in town.

SequSpur
04-25-2008, 12:21 AM
I ate there today for lunch. When we walked out, the news cameras were out there trying to interview everyone... WTF?

MoSpur
04-25-2008, 08:37 AM
That was sad to hear. It has to be someone who knows her.

MoSpur
04-25-2008, 08:37 AM
May God bless her and the family.

degenerate_gambler
04-25-2008, 08:41 AM
All this Jacala's talk...

Now I think I'm going to have to have my pregame meal there tonite..:toast

Extra Stout
04-25-2008, 08:47 AM
I insist upon going to Jacala's when I'm in SA. The Yankee family I married into doesn't comprehend true Puro San Antonio Mexican food, and prefers Gringified places like Sausalito's.

They also think it's weird that I insist upon having tamales on Christmas Eve.

degenerate_gambler
04-25-2008, 08:54 AM
I insist upon going to Jacala's when I'm in SA. The Yankee family I married into doesn't comprehend true Puro San Antonio Mexican food, and prefers Gringified places like Sausalito's.

They also think it's weird that I insist upon having tamales on Christmas Eve.

Get a rope...

JoeChalupa
04-25-2008, 09:06 AM
Was so sad to hear about this. I had just watched the puffy taco throw down with Bobby Flay a few days ago. My prayers go out to the family.

fatsack
04-25-2008, 12:35 PM
they got the scumbag.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/crime/stories/MYSA042508.barriosarrest.en.9b17ab71.html

Police arrest man in Barrios slaying

Web Posted: 04/25/2008 11:42 AM CDT

Robert Crowe
Express-News

Police announced the arrest of Joe Estrada, 18, in the slaying of restaurateur Viola B. Barrios.

On Thursday, firefighters responding to calls for a small fire discovered Barrios slain inside her home.

They said the arrest was made overnight and that Estrada robbed Barrios for money to buy drugs before killing her and setting fire to her home.

burn, motherfucker.

04-25-2008, 12:38 PM
KSAT is also reporting that the aforementioned scumbag was also her neighbor.

fatsack
04-25-2008, 12:40 PM
he was allegedly using her stolen credit cards around town.
a real genius.

BacktoBasics
04-25-2008, 12:42 PM
Thankfully he's just old enough for the death penalty.

Johnny_Blaze_47
04-25-2008, 12:46 PM
Word is this neighbor robbed Barrios for drug money, so yeah, his mind ain't all right.

MoSpur
04-25-2008, 01:33 PM
I knew it was someone who knew her.

cornbread
04-25-2008, 04:08 PM
Los Barrios has brought me much happiness and fed me countless meals for over 20 years. What a tragedy.

Shelly
04-25-2008, 04:36 PM
Terrible

Johnny_Blaze_47
04-25-2008, 04:52 PM
http://www.ksat.com/news/15990375/detail.html

UPDATE: 4:46 p.m. -- Police executed a search warrant Friday afternoon at the home of Joe Estrada, who lived next door to his alleged victim, Viola Barrios. Detectives at the scene removed one bow and several arrows from the home. The items were removed and classified as evidence possibly connected to the crime, a detective told KSAT 12 News.