PDA

View Full Version : Moncrief focused on business life if Milwaukee doesn't work

ducks
07-30-2003, 03:07 PM
LITTLE ROCK (AP) _ Sidney Moncrief wasn't looking for another NBA job, but one of the places he would consider came open when the Milwaukee Bucks fired coach George Karl on July 20.

Moncrief left the Dallas Mavericks after three years as an assistant when his contract expired May 31. Moncrief said it was a ``mutual parting of the ways'' because he wanted to focus on business and family.

But the Milwaukee job would be a good fit since he played 10 seasons for the Bucks from 1979-89.

``I played there years ago, but it's still very close to my heart _ the Bucks and the city of Milwaukee,'' Moncrief said Wednesday from his new car dealership in Edmond, Okla. ``I still would like to coach, but only the right situation. ... My history with the Bucks certainly fits what I would consider acceptable.''

Moncrief's interview will be sometime this week, but he said Bucks' officials don't want candidates giving out specific dates.

Other possible candidates include Atlanta Hawks interim coach Terry Stotts, Sacramento Kings assistant coach Terry Porter, Bucks assistant Don Newman, Detroit Pistons assistant coach Mike Woodson, Seattle SuperSonics associate head coach Dwane Casey and Phoenix Suns assistant coach Marc Iavaroni.

Moncrief played for Mavericks coach Don Nelson at Milwaukee, where the former Arkansas star was a five-time All-Star and two-time NBA Defensive Player of the Year. When Nelson hired him three years ago many thought Moncrief was being groomed to take over when Nelson retired.

``It was a tremendous experience just working with coach Nelson and (assistant) coach Del Harris,'' said Moncrief, whose only head coaching experience is a 4-24 season at Arkansas-Little Rock in 1999-2000. ``It enhanced my basketball coaching IQ substantially. I learned so much about the game of basketball and how to coach the game of basketball in those three years.''

Moncrief started a Hyundai dealership in Pine Bluff a little more than two years ago and he opened the Oklahoma site on June 26.

His family still lives in Richardson, Texas, but Moncrief said he's in the process of moving back to Little Rock. Moncrief grew up in Little Rock and played at Hall High School before his All-American career at Arkansas.

He and his wife Debra have four sons ranging from 8- to 15-years-old, so he said being around for games and family activities played a role in his decision to step back from the NBA. However, he said being a head coach in Milwaukee would be hard to pass up.

``I want the position and certainly one reason that Dallas was no longer a fit for me was there are certain things you like to do when your kids get older,'' Moncrief said. ``You weigh those factors when you make decisions about what you want to do.''

Moncrief was listed as a candidate for the Toronto Raptors' opening in June before they hired Kevin O'Neill. Moncrief said if the Milwaukee job doesn't pan out, he'll be happy being a businessman again.

``I'm not chasing positions and I have not inquired about positions so I'm not looking at any other position right now,'' he said. ``I like where I am.''

Note: The following stories are the most recent wire transmissions from SportsTicker and other ESPN.com sources. Versions of some of these stories appear elsewhere on the service.
scoop (http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/gen/wire?messageId=18547850)