PDA

View Full Version : Definitely not a flop

TMTTRIO
04-24-2008, 09:29 PM
April 24, 2008

Jeff McDonald: Definitely not a flop

PHOENIX -- Remember those old "You Make the Call" commercials back in the day? They'd show an old NFL Films clip of some controversial play or another, then stop it before the decisive moment and ask You to make The Call.
Well, here's Courtside's version of that.
For those of you who Tivo'ed Game 2 between the Spurs and Suns on Tuesday, do us a favor. Fast-forward to the final two minutes of the third quarter.
Got it? OK, now watch what happens at the 1:47 mark.
Manu Ginobili and Shaquille O'Neal and Leandro Barbosa are tangled for a rebound. Shaq has Ginobili around the neck in a semi choke-hold. Barbosa has Ginobili from behind.
In the tussle, Ginobili and Barbosa go flying to the ground. By now, the whistle has already blown, and O'Neal has been called for a foul. Prone on the court, Barbosa throws what looks to be a right-handed punch at Ginobili's head. From the TV angle, it is hard to tell if the blow connects, but the action is such that it causes the TNT announcers to take notice.
"Inadvertent contact," Jeff Van Gundy says sarcastically.
So, was it a punch? Was it intentional? Should Barbosa be suspended?
You make the call.
We can tell you what the NBA's call is. Unintentional. The league said today it had reviewed the play and Barbosa's actions warrant no suspension or other disciplinary action.
One thing, at least, is 100 percent for certain. This time, there was no flop for O'Neal to complain about.

Emanuel20
04-24-2008, 09:34 PM
April 24, 2008

Jeff McDonald: Definitely not a flop

PHOENIX -- Remember those old "You Make the Call" commercials back in the day? They'd show an old NFL Films clip of some controversial play or another, then stop it before the decisive moment and ask You to make The Call.
Well, here's Courtside's version of that.
For those of you who Tivo'ed Game 2 between the Spurs and Suns on Tuesday, do us a favor. Fast-forward to the final two minutes of the third quarter.
Got it? OK, now watch what happens at the 1:47 mark.
Manu Ginobili and Shaquille O'Neal and Leandro Barbosa are tangled for a rebound. Shaq has Ginobili around the neck in a semi choke-hold. Barbosa has Ginobili from behind.
In the tussle, Ginobili and Barbosa go flying to the ground. By now, the whistle has already blown, and O'Neal has been called for a foul. Prone on the court, Barbosa throws what looks to be a right-handed punch at Ginobili's head. From the TV angle, it is hard to tell if the blow connects, but the action is such that it causes the TNT announcers to take notice.
"Inadvertent contact," Jeff Van Gundy says sarcastically.
So, was it a punch? Was it intentional? Should Barbosa be suspended?
You make the call.
We can tell you what the NBA's call is. Unintentional. The league said today it had reviewed the play and Barbosa's actions warrant no suspension or other disciplinary action.
One thing, at least, is 100 percent for certain. This time, there was no flop for O'Neal to complain about.

I remember the play but can anyone post it on youtube

BonnerDynasty
04-24-2008, 09:49 PM
Takes more than that to stop The Manu.

td4mvp21
04-24-2008, 09:53 PM
Who cares. That would have been yet another thing for Suns fans to bitch about.

Shaolin-Style
04-24-2008, 09:55 PM
Don't get him suspended!

Hes playing so bad it would be an improvement to their team if he was.

Not to mention it'd give those fucking crybabies more ammo for their 9whinameter.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
04-24-2008, 09:56 PM
Manu doesn't even know Barbosa exists.

Johnny_Blaze_47
04-24-2008, 10:05 PM
Curses... beaten by a few minutes.

http://www.ksat.com/sports/15986549/detail.html

remingtonbo2001
04-24-2008, 10:08 PM
Curses... beaten by a few minutes.

http://www.ksat.com/sports/15986549/detail.html

Pimpin the Ksat website, I see.

Johnny_Blaze_47
04-24-2008, 10:23 PM
Pimpin the Ksat website, I see.

Man's gotta live.

Solid D
04-24-2008, 10:38 PM
Yeah, I ran it back and looked at it during the game but I didn't notice the punch. I noticed Gino pushing Ime out of the way and then Shaq elbowing his way in and Barbosa seemed to throw Gino back as they fell together.

It wasn't Jeff Van Gundy, though. As I recall it was Doug Collins.

carina_gino20
04-25-2008, 12:35 AM
They were both out of control. But it looked more like Barbosa's left arm than his right that took a swing. I'll upload the video later.

carina_gino20
04-25-2008, 12:37 AM
okay, here's the vid:

Yw9evVVnZ2g

BlackSwordsMan
04-25-2008, 12:39 AM
That wasn't van gundy

coopdogg3
04-25-2008, 12:43 AM
That looked like an intentional punch to me. I guess the league is thinking twice about suspending Suns players this year.

naico
04-25-2008, 01:31 AM
That looked like an intentional punch to me. I guess the league is thinking twice about suspending Suns players this year.

Man if that wasnt intentional..What was Barbosa trying to do?Put his hands out to break his fall?

Troll_Dynasty
04-25-2008, 01:33 AM
thats a flop!

carina_gino20
04-25-2008, 01:36 AM
Man if that wasnt intentional..What was Barbosa trying to do?Put his hands out to break his fall?

That's what I was wondering. Is that a natural motion (left hand) when you're right hand is tangled up with another guy? But if the NBA thinks that Stack's push on Manu's neck/face was incidental, it's no surprise that they cleared this one too. :rolleyes

DAF86
04-25-2008, 01:38 AM
Barbosa's a little bitch!

Fillmoe
04-25-2008, 01:42 AM
lol.. spurs fans complain too fucking much... you squares won the fucking game... the leagues not gonna hand you any gimmes this post season

timvp
04-25-2008, 01:42 AM
That was one of the better flops Manu has ever pulled off. First he grabs his bald spot for no apparent reason when he was tussling with Shaq and then he hooks Barbosa and throws both himself and Barbosa to the ground. That flop was so good it's difficult to even see it in slow motion. But that was a 100% acting job by Ginobili.

Impressive :clap

DAF86
04-25-2008, 01:48 AM
That was one of the better flops Manu has ever pulled off. First he grabs his bald spot for no apparent reason when he was tussling with Shaq and then he hooks Barbosa and throws both himself and Barbosa to the ground. That flop was so good it's difficult to even see it in slow motion. But that was a 100% acting job by Ginobili.

Yeah and he also grabbed Barbosa's left arm with his invisible third arm and made it look like the poor brazilian actually wanted to punch Manu in the face. Shame on you Emanuel :nope

timvp
04-25-2008, 01:53 AM
Yeah and he also grabbed Barbosa's left arm with his invisible third arm and made it look like the poor brazilian actually wanted to punch Manu in the face. Shame on you Emanuel :nopeBarbosa was mad that he was getting pulled down. If this were the regular season, that might have been suspendable.

TMTTRIO
04-25-2008, 02:01 AM
It didn't look that bad. What I don't get is the Spurs turn in something like this for the NBA to see but I thought the Stackhouse incident was a lot worse than this and they did nothing about it.

greyforest
04-25-2008, 02:11 AM
okay, here's the vid:

Yw9evVVnZ2g

hahahahah

its funny the way they manhandle the shit out of him and hes like uh wtf

greyforest
04-25-2008, 02:13 AM
and yeah thats not suspension worthy give me a break

sheriee84
04-25-2008, 02:59 AM
the nba really should've taken action on that little "move" by barbosa... he could've really hurt him.

SAGambler
04-25-2008, 08:37 AM
Face it. Suns could punch a Spur in the face in the middle of the court with no one around, and they aren't getting suspensions this year.

The whining and pissing and moaning last year is finally paying off.

YoMamaIsCallin
04-25-2008, 09:07 AM
Sorry homers but I agree with the league. Not clear cut enough to warrant a suspension.

Hemotivo
04-25-2008, 09:09 AM
nice punch

wildbill2u
04-25-2008, 09:11 AM

The league is not going to do anything to Phoenix players for physical play, short of a knife fight, becaue of the brouhaha that would arise because of last year's suspensions.

That puts a target on the back of our players, especially Manu and Parker as they drive the lane. Raja Bell was quoted as saying the Sun's big men were going to physically defend the paint by putting the Spurs on the ground and "if he gets up, the God bless him."

Since the league has declined to take action on a deliberate blow by Barbosa, this series could get even uglier.

The refs have to be aware of the league's attitude (plan?) and it will be reflected in their calls.

I just hope one of our players doesn't get injured because of the league's studied indifference.

Rick Von Braun
04-25-2008, 09:20 AM
Barbosa was mad that he was getting pulled down. If this were the regular season, that might have been suspendable.

This makes no sense. Barbosa hit him in the face... if he is "mad" about whatever is completely irrelevant. I wonder if you would say the same if it were TP in that position.

1usamotorsports.com
04-25-2008, 09:54 AM
If it was bowen puching barbosa the shit would hit the fan .

diego
04-25-2008, 10:16 AM

i have no problem with manu being called on his flops. but how was that a flop? 100% acting job? manu gets between shaq and barbosa and they push down on his shoulders (shaq with the right, barbosa with the left). you can say it was a no call, or that nobody had possession or intent, or that manu sold it (30% acting job), but i fail to see how manu fabricated a call there.

SpurOutofTownFan
04-25-2008, 10:19 AM
He actually tackled him into the ground. Marvelous.

timvp
04-25-2008, 03:55 PM
This makes no sense. Barbosa hit him in the face... if he is "mad" about whatever is completely irrelevant. I wonder if you would say the same if it were TP in that position.ROFL. WTF? RVB resorts to this elementary MG vs. TP smack? Unexpected.

If anyone on the team was in the same situation, I'd be saying the same thing. That's not a suspension in the playoffs. You seriously think that I only think it's not a suspension because it's Manu getting hit? The CoM is really starting to lose it . . .

:dizzy

carina_gino20
04-25-2008, 08:02 PM
ROFL. WTF? RVB resorts to this elementary MG vs. TP smack? Unexpected.

If anyone on the team was in the same situation, I'd be saying the same thing. That's not a suspension in the playoffs. You seriously think that I only think it's not a suspension because it's Manu getting hit? The CoM is really starting to lose it . . .

:dizzy

it's amazing how it takes you so much time to bring up the CoM. :stirpot: