PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Suns Aren't Making Vacation Plans Yet

duncan228
04-24-2008, 10:31 PM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA042508_SunsSider.en.98a613cb.html

Pro basketball: Suns aren't making vacation plans yet
Mike Monroe
Express-News Staff Writer

PHOENIX — A reporter wielding a microphone and a deep baritone voice asked Suns coach Mike D'Antoni on Thursday what he would say to Suns fans so overwrought they are poised to jump out windows in tall buildings because the Suns are down 2-0 in their first-round playoff series against the Spurs.

“Those can go ahead and jump,” D'Antoni said. “We've got 6 million people here. We're fine. We're overcrowded anyway.”

It was a joke from a coach who often employs sarcasm to take the edge off any situation, and the media throng clustered around him in a corner of the Suns' practice facility understood he wasn't serious.

This, though, is no one-liner: The Suns, from D'Antoni to two-time MVP point guard Steve Nash to newcomer center Shaquille O'Neal, still believe they can win the series if they do little else but play as well as they did in the first two games.

D'Antoni understands how deflating the two losses were. He chooses to see the Suns' effort as a sign that they are capable of playing with the defending champions.

“I'm ready to jump, too,” he said of the reporter's mythical ledge walkers. “I'm on the ledge with them, but I'm not going. I'm crawling back in, and we're going to play Friday, and we're going to bust them up Friday.

“That's our mind-set, and we still don't have any doubt that we can win the series. Our guys are ready.”

The four-time champion Spurs, of course, have their own mind-set about the series that resumes tonight at US Airways Center. The Suns hardly expect them to accept the notion they didn't deserve to win the first two games of the best-of-7 set.

“You've got to give them all the credit in the world,” D'Antoni said. “But there will be no back down, and we're not fretting now. We're ready for Friday.”

The Suns face tonight's must-win game — no team in league history has recovered from a 3-0 deficit to win a series — content they have defended the Spurs well enough. All that is required, they say, is to return to the offensive mind-set that has made them one of the league's most prolific scoring units since D'Antoni has been head coach.

“I don't think it's our defense that's causing us to lose right now,” D'Antoni said. “It's our offense. We need to up the production. We need to hoist them up. We need to run more and move the ball a little better.

“We've got to play a little more carefree. We're a little tight right now. They got us down and with our backs against the wall, but I like our guys. They'll come out firing.”

Nash pointed to the 61 points the Suns scored in the first half of Game 2 as proof they haven't been frustrated by the Spurs' defense.

“We had a lot to feel good about in Game 1,” he said, “and we had a great first half in Game 2. We've just got to tweak it a little bit — be a little bit smarter and tougher and make a play or two. But they're the defending champs, and they're definitely going to be tough to knock off.”

urunobili
04-24-2008, 10:34 PM
we have to stay humble until we have 4 on our pocket... the suns are still a dangerous team and we haven;t done anything but do what we're supposed to that is defend our homecourt...

theroc5
04-24-2008, 10:44 PM
agreed, though im sure if we win game 3 (which its gona be very hard to do) this board will go crazy.

Budkin
04-24-2008, 10:48 PM
I'm fully expecting to get blown out of the building in Game 3. Spurs need to nut up and prove me wrong.

Strike
04-24-2008, 10:56 PM
I think something controversial is gonna happen in game 3.

The outcome of the game will be impacted by it.

MaNuMaNiAc
04-24-2008, 10:58 PM
Pro basketball: Suns aren't making vacation plans yet
Mike Monroe

damn procrastinators!

raspsa
04-25-2008, 12:46 AM
A P P R O P R I A T E
F E A R

BiZNicK
04-25-2008, 12:50 AM
Will be a tough game but spurs will win...

then all suns fans willl flee to their suns forum and have a bitch-off with each other..

gilmor
04-25-2008, 01:28 AM
Will be a tough game but spurs will win...

then all suns fans willl flee to their suns forum and have a bitch-off with each other..

Suns will take this one..

Troll_Dynasty
04-25-2008, 01:31 AM
this will be an easy win for the Spurs.

SenorSpur
04-25-2008, 05:00 AM
Spurs have historically been known to "take their foot off the gas" during series situations like this. I expect the Suns to play with that desparate energy and motivation in Game 3. Even if the Spurs do not with Game 3, I fully expect them to win Game 4.

1Parker1
04-25-2008, 07:44 AM
I predict...Game 3 will be a Suns win, possibly even by 10+ points. :lol

fyatuk
04-25-2008, 07:57 AM
The way it's going in the NBA, only the Celtics and Lakers (maybe) end up 3-0.

Gm 3 could go either way It'd be nice if the Spurs only take 1 game in Phoenix so they can finish them off in SA. Not that I expect that. Over the last 10 years, the Spurs seem to like finishing off teams in front of that teams fans.

easjer
04-25-2008, 08:00 AM
I'm expecting a Suns win, because of the Spurs historic (and recently displayed) tendency to relax and then be surprised when the other team doesn't roll over for them. The players have all been through that situation, and their statements to the press indicate that they are aware of the problem in the past and going to fight - but I believe it when I see it.

I hope they understand how huge a game 3 victory can be, but I fear that their mindset isn't do or die. This game is less must win than game 2 was. It's much more in the 'gosh it could really help us if we win, but we'll still have the series lead if we don't' category, and it is must win for the Suns at home.

Spurs would have to be very motivated and play very well to win; both of which things I am not sure will happen simultaneously.

101A
04-25-2008, 08:03 AM
Glad to see D'Antoni has figured it out.

It's NOT the layup clinic the Spurs have put on to win these games; it's the Suns lack of offense. I'm sure that's gonna work out great for 'em.

YoMamaIsCallin
04-25-2008, 09:10 AM
So far, all three series that were 2-0 have gone to 2-1. (Rockets/Jazz, Magic/Raptors, Wizards/Cavs).

Historically, the team that's behind 0-2 wins game three 2 out of 3 times.

Hopefully the Spurs can hold off the Suns and choke all hope out of them. But the odds are against the Spurs.

T Park
04-25-2008, 09:23 AM
I predict...Game 3 will be a Suns win, possibly even by 10+ points. :lol

Wow theres a shocker.

T Park
04-25-2008, 09:23 AM
:lol

Wow, so I guess tonight's game is a foregone conclusion and no need to watch?

Wow...

thispego
04-25-2008, 10:04 AM
:lol

Wow, so I guess tonight's game is a foregone conclusion and no need to watch?

Wow...

no shit, what a bunch of cop outs

Spurs win this one

SenorSpur
04-25-2008, 08:09 PM
Hell it'd be better for them if they swept these bitches. That way they'd likely get more rest.

Mr.Bottomtooth
04-25-2008, 08:15 PM
no shit, what a bunch of cop outs

Spurs win this one

I agree.

Spurs Dynasty 21
04-25-2008, 08:16 PM
the Suns are going to play this game like it's Gm7, I only hope the Spurs do as well

pawe
04-25-2008, 08:24 PM
Barbosa is going to start and if he will be defending TP then i think the suns are in trouble. Crush their spirits and win game 3 boys!!!