PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Notebook

duncan228
04-24-2008, 11:36 PM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA042508.SpursNotebook.en.17ddac4.html

Spurs Notebook: Hill will sit if he's not 100 percent
Mike Monroe
Express-News staff writer

PHOENIX — Unless Suns forward Grant Hill is 100 percent certain he is 100 percent healthy by tipoff time for Game 3 of the Spurs-Suns Western Conference playoff series at US Airways Center, he will be kept on the sidelines by Suns coach Mike D'Antoni.

Hill averaged 13.1 points this season, his first in Phoenix, but suffered a groin strain in the final week of the season. He started against the Spurs in Games 1 and 2, but the injury clearly has limited his effectiveness. He has played only 48 of 106 possible minutes and has scored only five points. He did not play at all in the second half of Game 2.

"If he's on the floor, he needs to be at full speed, so he can run (the floor)," D'Antoni said. "We'll take care of that. If he's not at full speed, he won't play."

The Suns sent Hill for a Thursday morning MRI exam to determine the extent of his injury. The veteran of 14 seasons understands, more than most, the danger involved when players try to push through pain because they don't want to miss a playoff game. Hill played on a sprained ankle in the 2000 playoffs and worsened a foot injury. He was able to play only 47 games the next three seasons.

"Sometimes, as a basketball player, we're like thoroughbred horses," Hill said. "All we want to do is run. That's gotten me in trouble before, and I've got to be smart about it.

"We still feel like we're in this series and we've got a lot of basketball ahead of us. We'll see where it's at, come tomorrow night."

Barbosa cleared: After reviewing tape of Game 2, the Spurs were concerned about a play in which Phoenix guard Leandro Barbosa appeared to throw a punch at Manu Ginobili.

The incident occurred with 1:47 left in the third quarter, when Ginobili became entangled with Barbosa and Shaquille O'Neal while grappling for a rebound.

During the skirmish, Ginobili and Barbosa fell to the ground. Television replays seem to show that while the pair was prone, Barbosa directed a punch at Ginobili's head.

An NBA spokesman said Thursday that the league's basketball operations office had reviewed the play and determined that Barbosa's actions did not warrant disciplinary measures.

Parker, Ginobili rest: Nursing what Spurs coach Gregg Popovich called "just bumps and bruises," Ginobili and point guard Tony Parker did not practice with the team Thursday.

Both are expected to be available for Game 3.

Foul-out king: O'Neal isn't the only big man in this series feeling besieged by the referees.

"I'm averaging six fouls in two games," Spurs forward Kurt Thomas said.

Thomas, indeed, has fouled out of both games of the series. Given his role of low-post enforcer, he said fouls come with the territory.

"I've got to come in and be physical, make them earn their field goals," Thomas said. "My job is to use at least five of my fouls."

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
04-24-2008, 11:52 PM
Kurt Thomas our new enforcer

T Park
04-24-2008, 11:53 PM
Nice Kurt, way to work the refs a little!!

About time one of our players did it.

pawe
04-25-2008, 12:32 AM
No easy baskets for ol' crazy eyes.

polandprzem
04-25-2008, 01:37 PM
Damn that sucks for Grant

I remember when in 2000 he was laying neer the bench cheering for his team to win. Ofcourse Detroit lost and Hill could do nothing plus he knew he probably will miss the rest of a playoffs.

I think Giricek playing more and having confidence that coach will give him Grant's minutes will do all good for the Suns.

This game is almost impossible to win for the spurs.

But as addidas commercial says: Impossible is ...

The Truth #6
04-25-2008, 01:44 PM
Just like in the 2004 series, I expect Shaq to come up huge in this game 3. We'll have to stay aggressive and not settle for mediocre shots.

duncan228
04-25-2008, 01:54 PM

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x282/duncan228/timad4mc.jpg

Manu's Bald Spot
04-25-2008, 01:59 PM
Damn that sucks for Grant

I remember when in 2000 he was laying neer the bench cheering for his team to win. Ofcourse Detroit lost and Hill could do nothing plus he knew he probably will miss the rest of a playoffs.

I think Giricek playing more and having confidence that coach will give him Grant's minutes will do all good for the Suns.

While Grant Hill could be great this series for the Suns, I think it was a bit of a reach for them to expect Hill to be able to play so many minutes for an entire season as well as the playoffs. This is GRANT HILL we're talkin about. Now they're gettin burnt because of it and have no bench whatosever.

However, I do miss the old Grant Hill, the one on the pistons. Jeeeeeesus that dude could play. His career if one big "what if?".

ancestron
04-25-2008, 02:45 PM
I hope Parker and Ginobili arent off tonight since they didn't practice yesterday.

ancestron
04-25-2008, 02:46 PM
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x282/duncan228/timad4mc.jpg

this picture says it all.

FromWayDowntown
04-25-2008, 03:32 PM
If Grant can't go, I wonder if D'Antoni goes a bit deeper into his bench or whether he just sticks with his 7.5 guys and goes from there.