PDA

View Full Version : Carl Landry

phxspurfan
04-25-2008, 12:14 AM
He just came up with a huge game-saving block against Deron Williams in the Rockets-Jazz game. The Spurs could really use a guy like this...any chance we could get him?

ChumpDumper
04-25-2008, 12:16 AM
No.

T Park
04-25-2008, 12:18 AM
Sigh....

Rynospursfan
04-25-2008, 12:19 AM
No chance of getting him, but a sweet block, and after he lost a tooth in the game.

Scola then made a FT he should have missed to end the game...Rockets still won.

gmanrulz
04-25-2008, 12:27 AM
No chance of getting him, but a sweet block, and after he lost a tooth in the game.

Scola then made a FT he should have missed to end the game...Rockets still won.

Im waiting for someone to say "Scolas so fucking good he cant even miss a free throw when he tries."

DAF86
04-25-2008, 12:35 AM
Im waiting for someone to say "Scolas so fucking good he cant even miss a free throw when he tries."

I'm waiting for someone to say "Scola's a choker"

ducks
04-25-2008, 12:36 AM
like I keep saying he is greater then scola

ducks
04-25-2008, 12:37 AM
scola was choking this game
he was not that great at all
he was not playing like a rookie of the year candiate

T Park
04-25-2008, 12:38 AM

His european playoffs suggest that thats true.

DAF86
04-25-2008, 12:42 AM
His european playoffs suggest that thats true.

In europe he's a Nowitski kind of choker, he's numbers are OK but his team never wins (even though he's lead them to the "final four" several times).

ducks
04-25-2008, 12:43 AM
In europe he's a Nowitski kind of choker, he's numbers are OK but his team never wins (even though he's lead them to the "final four" several times).

:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

PlayoffEx-static
04-25-2008, 12:45 AM
Landry is like a slimmer version of Malik Rose. He's a hustle guy but not anything special. You can probably retrieve something very like him every year from the d-league.

DAF86
04-25-2008, 12:47 AM

I don't want to get into another Scola discussion so I'm just going to say this:
How on hell could you say, that a rookie that doesn't get his number called on the ofensive end, choked when he'd a 16 points 10 rebs. night.

Deimosfobos
04-25-2008, 12:55 AM
Carl Landry would be great for the Spurs, love the guy, but no way on hell we can get it.

whottt
04-25-2008, 01:07 AM

Scola's a choker...bigtime.

And BTW...as I predicted...his FG% is going into the fucking tank...like I said it would. It just took a while because he sucked so bad early it took time for the NBA to realize he was worth learning how to defend...and now it's started....he probably won't suck as bad as he is in this playoff series for the rest of his career, because you know, a playoff series they really focus on taking things away, but the NBA teams do it on a smaller scale during the regular season...He's not going to be any career 50% FG shooter in the NBA...that won't happen again after this season. His polish got him that...after he sucked so bad early that the NBA teams weren't sure if he was worth the effort to figure out.

If he hadn't sucked worse than anyone thought he would for the first 2 months of the season this would have started happening much earlier as teams focused on finding ways to stop him...

And I hate to tell you guys this...but Scola isn't going to get any faster, or bigger, or stronger, or more athletic...or younger.

He had the element of suprise...because he came in as a rookie and he's not a freaking rookie, he is an extremely experienced player whose game is as refined as it is going to get.

Scola's done...

And he's a choker.

DAF86
04-25-2008, 01:11 AM
Scola's a choker...bigtime.

Thanks, now I'm cool

whottt
04-25-2008, 01:15 AM
Thanks, now I'm cool

THe fact that you think a bigman should be judged on his clutchness by his FT shooting...well, welcome to the NBA is all I have to say to that.

I guess Tim Duncan, Shaq, and just about every other greatbigman in NBA history aren't clutch by your definition then...this makes you an idiot.

DAF86
04-25-2008, 01:20 AM
THe fact that you think a bigman should be judged on his clutchness by his FT shooting...well, welcome to the NBA is all I have to say to that.

I guess Tim Duncan, Shaq, and just about every other greatbigman in NBA history aren't clutch by your definition then...this makes you an idiot.

:wtf When did I say something remotely close to the words Free throws or clutch or anything that you just said? :wtf:wtf:wtf:wtf:wtf:wtf

whottt
04-25-2008, 01:22 AM
:wtf When did I say something remotely close to the words Free throws or clutch or anything that you just said? :wtf:wtf:wtf:wtf:wtf:wtf

Well to tell you the truth you didn't...but you did ask for someone to come in and call him a choker because he hit a FT(after missing the first one)...in a game his team was up by 1 with virtually no time left when he went to the FT line.

I looked for various ways to infer what you meant and could only conclude that you were pointing out(in sarcastic fashion) that he was clutch because he hit a late FT(that he should have missed, after missing the first one)...

You tell me then...why did you want someone to come in and call him a choker?

DAF86
04-25-2008, 01:29 AM
Well to tell you the truth you didn't...but you did ask for someone to come in and call him a choker because he hit a FT(after missing the first one)...in a game his team was up by 1 with virtually no time left when he went to the FT line.

Why did you want someone to come in and call him a choker?

'Cause some guys did this after game 2 of the Rockets and Jazz series. and it was a response for a guy that said
Like making fun of the Scola homers. so I said
I'm waiting for someone to say "Scola's a choker" making fun of the irrationals Scola's bashers.

Indazone
04-25-2008, 01:34 AM
In the end after about 3-4 years after Landry learns the NBA game and maybe goes to Big Man school with Hakeem Olajuwan, yes he will be greater than Scola. Landry has the makings of a potential All-Star in the future.

Indazone
04-25-2008, 01:44 AM
Landry is like a slimmer version of Malik Rose. He's a hustle guy but not anything special. You can probably retrieve something very like him every year from the d-league.

^
:lmao

whottt
04-25-2008, 02:50 AM
'Cause some guys did this after game 2 of the Rockets and Jazz series. and it was a response for a guy that said
Like making fun of the Scola homers. so I said making fun of the irrationals Scola's bashers.

So basically...you think Scola's clutch...

Dre_7
04-25-2008, 03:24 AM
Well in college Carl Landry's brother Marcus Landry was a better player. He is a senior this coming year. :D

atxrocker
04-25-2008, 03:32 AM
this kid really impressed me today. went about his business like a warrior. a true professional. liked what i saw. props.

urunobili
04-25-2008, 05:32 AM
i don;t think the rox will pull out this series... but this win was huge...

Clemenza
04-25-2008, 05:45 AM

Pato puto

AI-square
04-25-2008, 06:06 AM
Landry is good as is Chuck Hayes. Love these hustle young guys they are much better to watch than some of the immature big money players in the league.

hsxvvd
04-25-2008, 08:23 AM
Must we sign every player who ever does anything everyday. Oberto, Thomas > Landry.

Splitter too will be better next year than Landry

SAGambler
04-25-2008, 08:25 AM

Ask Yao about missing FTs. Why is he seemingly the only big man around that makes FTs look easy. And he is the biggest of the big men.

wildbill2u
04-25-2008, 09:14 AM
He just came up with a huge game-saving block against Deron Williams in the Rockets-Jazz game. The Spurs could really use a guy like this...any chance we could get him?

Are yu kidding. This guy is the Rocket's future starter. Tremendous attitude, physical ability, and upside.

Elraptor
04-25-2008, 09:50 AM
Wrong forum buddy.

Indazone
04-25-2008, 10:25 AM
Spurs got a guy like Landry...he's languishing in the D-Leagues. Ian Mahinmi. Highest PER in the preseason. Higher than even Landry's numbers and he is stuck in the D-Leagues.

MoSpur
04-25-2008, 10:32 AM
I like Landry. He was huge during the Rockets win streak. He has a bright future in this leauge IMO. I think the Spurs will be fine next season though with guys like Ian and Splitter coming in. I don't expect Ian and Splitter to be really huge contributors next season though.

Harry Callahan
04-25-2008, 11:47 AM
Spurs got a guy like Landry...he's languishing in the D-Leagues. Ian Mahinmi. Highest PER in the preseason. Higher than even Landry's numbers and he is stuck in the D-Leagues.

I don't think Ian M is "stuck" in the D league. He is getting valuble experience that a 21 or 22 year old with no college and limited pro experience needs. Next year he will take the place of one of the Graybeards (Horry?)

I think he'll be able to do a lot for the Spurs in the coming years. Splitter as well.

SA could have drafted Landry last year in the second round. They drafted the Arizona guy instead (OOPS). It happens. I really like Landry. The Rockets drafted effectively for the first time in a long time (along with the Yao no-brainer in 2002).

The challenge for the Rockets will be when Landry's Rookie contract expires (probably after next year). Do they pay the guy big bucks to keep him (no Bird rights for Landry if he signed a 2 year deal)? Then that probably means they may let Scola go the following year when he is a 30 year old free agent (with Bird rights).

The Rockets have to pay Yao and McGrady the bulk of their dollars in the next few years. Can you say luxury tax for Houston? I don't think Les Alexander wants to do get deep into luxury tax territory.

wijayas
04-25-2008, 11:50 AM

No. Let's see what Ian and Tiago can bring us...

mardigan
04-25-2008, 11:55 AM
I loved when he came back and flashed a huge smile with his front tooth missing. Guy is all hustle and toughness.

Bruno
04-25-2008, 11:59 AM
SA could have drafted Landry last year in the second round. They drafted the Arizona guy instead (OOPS). It happens.

No, Landry has been drafted before Marcus Williams.

ChumpDumper
04-25-2008, 12:07 PM
The challenge for the Rockets will be when Landry's Rookie contract expires (probably after next year). Do they pay the guy big bucks to keep him (no Bird rights for Landry if he signed a 2 year deal)?If it was a two-year deal, the Rockets will have early Bird rights on Landry and with the Gilbert Arenas rule can pretty much match any other offer made to him.

Indazone
04-25-2008, 12:12 PM
Rockets didn't think this guy was going to be anything so they signed him to a $400,000 one year contract while giving the other true Rookie Aaron Brooks a 4-year contract worth $5,153,500.00. Brooks will be a free Agent in 2011. Team holds options for the 2009-2010 and 2010-2011 seasons.

Landry was a Rockets boo-boo but he suprised everyone. But kudo's to Landry, he'll make a lot more than Brooks now and a lot faster. His minimal first year salary and contract means that he can renegotiate for the big bucks now.

ChumpDumper
04-25-2008, 12:16 PM
The two sources I usually go by say the Rockets have an option on a second season for Landry, but the Chronicle article written at the time makes no mention of it. If there is no option, perhaps some team could steal Landry away.

Indazone
04-25-2008, 12:19 PM
Yeah you are right, the Rockets do have the option for a second season for Landry and they own his Bird rights. He can still negotiate with other teams because he's a restricted FA..meaning the Rockets have the right to match any other offer and you can bet your two dollars that Landry will be fielding offers from other teams if nothing else but to drive his price up.

Kill_Bill_Pana
04-25-2008, 12:50 PM

Not true. I have see this Landry do Amare type dunk many time.

Harry Callahan
04-25-2008, 01:39 PM
Thanks guys for the clarification on the early Bird rights. I did not know that. Landry's making him some money right now.

Harry Callahan
04-25-2008, 01:44 PM
No, Landry has been drafted before Marcus Williams.

Yup. 31st pick ahead of Marcus. He's good.

JBIIRockets
04-25-2008, 02:45 PM

No, unlike the Spurs, we do not give division rivals good productive power forwards.

Indazone
04-25-2008, 03:08 PM
^ LOL

That was cold but funny!

Crow
04-26-2008, 04:23 PM
Spurs worked Landry out before draft and if Seattle/Houston hadn't taken him at 31 I think there probably was a good chance Spurs would have at 33.