PDA

View Full Version : Syria's Not So Nuclear Program

Nbadan
04-25-2008, 04:28 AM
The same sources (i.e. Dick Cheney and the Neo-Cons) who pointed to satellite photos of refrigerant trucks in Iraq before the war and said they were mobile WMD labs are now saying that a building in Syria was supposed to be a North Korean built nuclear reactor...anyone buying?

zuUs3pddmps

US Government allegations that North Korea helped Syria build a nuclear reactor have been greeted with scepticism because of their timing.

Israeli jets bombed the alleged site in Syria's eastern desert last September. Today, after months of whispers, the White House publicly claimed that the target of the strike was a nuclear reactor.

. . .

But Mike Chinoy, from the Pacific Council on International Policy, says the claim needs to be taken in its political context, as North Korea's denuclearisation reaches a critical stage.

"Everything I'm hearing from my own sources in Washington is that what you have now is a kind of push back by Vice-President Cheney and his office and other hardliners who are opposed to diplomatic dealings with North Korea," he said.

"(They are) hoping that by making public these allegations of nuclear cooperation it will torpedo the diplomatic process."

ABC News (http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/04/25/2227483.htm?section=world)

Don't buy it...

Vincent Cannistraro, Director of Intelligence Programs for the National Security Council under President Ronald Reagan and Chief of Operations at the Central Intelligence Agency's Counterterrorism Center under President George H. W. Bush, said Sunday that what the Israelis hit was "absolutely not a nuclear weapons facility."

"Syria has a small nuclear research facility and has had it for several years," Cannistraro said. "It is not capable of enriching uranium to weapons capability levels. Some Israelis speculated that the Syrians had succeeded in doing just that, but according to the US intelligence experts that is simply not true."'

and

"Allegations that a Syrian envoy admitted during a United Nations meeting Oct. 17 that an Israeli air strike hit a nuclear facility in September are inaccurate and have raised the ire of some in the US intelligence community, who see the Vice President’s hand as allegedly being behind the disinformation.

A United Nations press release discussing the General Assembly’s Disarmament Committee meeting mistranslated comments ascribed to an unnamed Syrian diplomat as saying that Israel had on various occasions “taken action against nuclear facilities, including the 6 July attack in Syria.”

The UN has since gone through the tape recordings of the meeting and found that there was no mention of the word “nuclear” at all. According to the UN, the error was one of translation, involving several interpreters translating the same meeting.

Recent news articles, however, continue to make allegations and suggest that a nuclear weapons facility was hit -- something that the Syrian government has denied, the Israeli government has not officially confirmed and US intelligence does not show.

<snip>

According to current and former intelligence sources, the US intelligence community has seen no evidence of a nuclear facility being hit.

US intelligence “found no radiation signatures after the bombing, so there was no uranium or plutonium present,” said one official, wishing to remain anonymous due to the sensitivity of the subject.

“We don't have any independent intelligence that it was a nuclear facility -- only the assertions by the Israelis and some ambiguous satellite photography from them that shows a building, which the Syrians admitted was a military facility.”

Their statements come as officials claim Syria has begun to 'disassemble' the site. An article today quotes former Administration hawk and onetime Bush United Nations Ambassador John Bolton, who links Syria's alleged action with Iran.

Israel has not spoken publicly about the air raid, other than to confirm that it happened. The confirmation came nearly a month after the Sept. 6 bombing, and provided only that “Israeli officials said the strike took place deep inside Syria.”

and

"The International Atomic Energy Agency - the United Nations nuclear watchdog - has not been able to conduct an investigation into the events surrounding the Sept. 6 Israeli bombing of a Syrian military installation because neither the Bush administration nor Israel are cooperating.

A diplomatic source close to the Vienna based IAEA told Raw Story that both the United States and Israel have been approached by the organization requesting supporting evidence of a nuclear reactor which media sources have cited, based on anonymous sources in both governments, as the reason for the Israeli strike.

The source also explained that the satellite footage, which the IAEA obtained through commercial channels for lack of any "credible evidence," does not show a nuclear reactor in the early construction phase. Another source, close to the IAEA, who wished to remain anonymous due to the sensitive nature of the topic, told RAW STORY last week that based on satellite imagery, evidence that "it was nuclear related is shaky" and pointed out that even basic security for such a facility - such as "security fences" - is missing.

Some IAEA experts have privately opined that the facility - located between the cities of Hama and Dayr az-Zawr in the Northeastern part of Syria - may have been "no more than a workshop for the pumice mining industry along the banks of the Euphrates." Both individuals independently confirmed that the IAEA cannot conduct a formal investigation without the cooperation of either Israel or the United States, although both confirmed that the Syrian government is cooperating. An IAEA spokesman did not immediately respond to a request for comment."

Larisa Alexandrovna writes:

But you need not rely on my reporting if you do not wish to. There is another reporter who closely worked this story. I give you Sy Hersh's excellent article on this situation. He can tell you in his own words:

VIDEO AT LINK

And before Hersh published his report, I was up against the Murdoch-owned machine and their obedient media followers in the press all alone - as I appear to be again now. Where is the rest of the media? Why is this laundering being allowed to happen?

So is it going to be me and Hersh against WSJ and the Cheney machine? If so, I suggest you choose sides quickly because I am not about to sit around quietly while this administration fabricates another reason for yet another war. If this administration wants to talk about chemical weapons, then that would be honest. But for some reason, they just really want to play the "nukelar" propaganda over and over and over.....

Sources at Link (http://www.atlargely.com/2008/04/massive-propaga.html)

whottt
04-25-2008, 04:34 AM
FU Dan...we'll get Syria's Oil if it's the last thing we do.

Winehole23
11-07-2011, 03:24 AM
But after further probing by private researchers, Syria’s mystery plant is looking far less mysterious. A new report (http://lewis.armscontrolwonk.com/archive/4654/closing-the-file-on-hasaka)concludes that the facility and its thousands of fast-spinning machines were intended to make not uranium, but cloth — a very ordinary cotton-polyester.

“It is, and always has been, a textile factory,” said one of the researchers, Jeffrey Lewis (http://cns.miis.edu/staff/lewis_jeffrey.htm), a nuclear policy expert at the Center for Nonproliferation Studies and publisher of the blog Arms Control Wonk (http://lewis.armscontrolwonk.com/archive/4654/closing-the-file-on-hasaka)[/URL][url]http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/checkpoint-washington/post/that-secret-syrian-nuclear-facility-its-a-textile-factory-researchers-say/2011/11/04/gIQA0MV7mM_blog.html (http://lewis.armscontrolwonk.com/archive/4654/closing-the-file-on-hasaka)

Winehole23
11-07-2011, 03:30 AM
Former U.S. Vice President Dick Cheney urged the United States to bomb a suspected Syrian nuclear reactor in June 2007, the New York Times reported on Wednesday, quoting excerpts from Cheney's autobiography due to be published next week.

According to Cheney, former U.S. President George W. Bush refused his demands and opted for a diplomatic approach after other advisers expressed apprehension. Foreign reports indicate that the Syria reactor was later bombed by Israel in September 2007.

“I again made the case for U.S. military action against the reactor,” the New York Times quoted Cheney as writing about a meeting on the issue. “But I was a lone voice. After I finished, the president asked, ‘Does anyone here agree with the vice president?’ Not a single hand went up around the room.”
http://www.haaretz.com/news/international/cheney-i-urged-bush-to-bomb-syria-s-nuclear-reactor-but-he-refused-1.380613

4>0rings
11-07-2011, 03:30 AM
FU Dan...we'll get Syria's Oil if it's the last thing we do.

Sup brah, how's it hanging?

Wild Cobra
11-07-2011, 03:38 AM
I don't buy it that Israeli intelligence would screw up that badly.

Winehole23
11-07-2011, 11:12 AM
A world that is contrary to your beliefs exists without your permission and is thus inconceivable to you. It also seems to be beyond your ken that an intelligence service might occasionally fib or overhype for strategic reasons.

Winehole23
11-07-2011, 11:19 AM
The Mossad and the CIA wouldn't ever lie to us, would they now.

Agloco
11-07-2011, 05:07 PM
A world that is contrary to your beliefs exists without your permission and is thus inconceivable to you. It also seems to be beyond your ken that an intelligence service might occasionally fib or overhype for strategic reasons.

This.

lol nuclear Syria.

DarrinS
11-07-2011, 05:54 PM
Sup brah, how's it hanging?

You know he died, right?

4>0rings
11-07-2011, 07:01 PM
You know he died, right?

No wonder your're an idiot.

ChumpDumper
11-08-2011, 01:31 AM
No wonder your're an idiot.Sorry. Sad but true. :depressed

There are many other reasons Darrin is an idiot though.