PDA

View Full Version : ESPN says Suns win Game 3

ForeignFan
04-25-2008, 11:08 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs2008/columns/story?page=ScoutingSunsSpurs-Game3

Some interesting stuff ... but for the conclusion

Scouts Inc. Scouting Breakdown: Suns vs. Spurs, Game 3
By David Thorpe
Scouts Inc.

The good news for the Suns in their Game 2 loss in San Antonio is that for three quarters (first, second and fourth combined) they were the better team, outscoring the Spurs by 10 points and looking dominant for stretches. Of course, the 27-11 thrashing they received in the third quarter proved to be ruinous and should be the focus of their film study prior to Game 3.

San Antonio used two separate styles on offense to attack the Phoenix defense in the third quarter. The Spurs ran Michael Finley in a boxed set off staggered screens or a double screen and got three made jumpers.:worthy: And they paired him with Tim Duncan on a side pick-and-roll, forcing the slow-moving Shaq into a switch, which Finley made him pay for with a short and uncontested baseline jumper.

After five minutes and eight points from Finley, the Spurs went from down nine points to up two. Credit Finley and the Spurs for running these sets instead of just relying on Duncan and a Tony Parker to start the half. Yes, Phoenix would prefer to have Finley taking shots rather than TP or TD, but it would prefer he misses.:lol

After that, it was the Manu and Parker show. San Antonio just kept running ball screens -- from the top and the wings, mostly with the guy Shaq was guarding. It was as if Gregg Popovich said to his players: Shaq may be a good matchup against Duncan in the post, but he's a huge liability defending in space, so let's attack him there. Every time. Shaq was too slow to hedge effectively, so he typically stayed back and gave up the midrange jumper. Parker and Manu can hit that shot or look as if they are going to stop and shoot, then blow past Shaq for the layup. :tu

There is no magic adjustment to protect Shaq outside of benching him in favor of smaller guys who can defend in space better. But then Duncan will go to work in the post. So Phoenix has to pick its poison.

One thing the Suns can do is play better in defensive transition. San Antonio outscored Phoenix in fast-break points 23-4, after getting just three fast-break points in Game 1. Again, Shaq was a liability here, not only because he was too slow to race back and protect the paint (which would allow his guards to leave the basket and find the shooters), but because he was caught defending in space again when the Spurs set drag or influence screens. Also, he stayed up the floor with Duncan at times. Because of that, there was a clear post area, which allowed Parker and Ginobili to beat their man and get an uncontested layup. Shaq blocked four shots, but the Spurs scored 72 points in the paint.

Stoudemire has to be more aware of helping in the paint in transition as well. Phoenix cannot get scorched in both the half-court and full-court games and expect to win this series, much less a couple of games.

The Suns will have an easier time making offensive adjustments, and perhaps that's where their focus should lie -- just try to outscore the Spurs. Their shot selection and overall decision-making in the third quarter were poor. Bruce Bowen picked up Nash as close to half court as he could, hoping he would give the ball up quickly. Too often, Nash did. Shaq couldn't get an angle past Kurt Thomas and forced up some awkward-looking shots. Stoudemire settled for a contested long and off-balance jumper early in one possession, then tried to force a drive past a helping Parker on another, in which Parker stole the ball.

In pick-and-rolls, the Suns were able to induce Duncan to switch out onto Nash, and though Nash didn't hurt TD much in this game, it is likely he will in Phoenix. :nope

The Suns' best action in the first half was the same as the Spurs' in the second, high ball-screen action from the top with Nash and Amare Stoudemire. Nash was brilliant at getting the ball early to a slipping Stoudemire, who would make the catch in the soft middle of the paint instead of deeper, where other Spurs players were waiting.

But in the second half, because Grant Hill is struggling offensively, the Spurs had Finley clogging the middle up on the same actions, helping to neutralize the play. So in Game 3 I'd look for less playing time for Hill, with maybe Leandro Barbosa :lol or Gordan Giricek in his spot, hoping to keep Finley stuck on the baseline.

Despite playing so well for three of the four quarters, the Suns shot only 4-for-13 from 3 and 46.3 percent overall. They can shoot with more confidence at home. In another nail-biter, I see Phoenix putting together a better overall offensive game, perhaps by going smaller more often. :violin

PREDICTION: Suns win Game 3 :sleep

jman3000
04-25-2008, 11:10 AM
i concur.

HarlemHeat37
04-25-2008, 11:11 AM
they said the same thing after game 1..

ESPN picking the Suns is good for us..

DarrinS
04-25-2008, 11:12 AM
The good news for the Suns in their Game 2 loss in San Antonio is that for three quarters (first, second and fourth combined) they were the better team

I had to stop reading after the first sentence. :sleep

Steve_Javie
04-25-2008, 11:12 AM
I'll just say yall are lucky I'm not a Phoenix fan!

MrChug
04-25-2008, 11:13 AM
I can't disagree that much. This has been at WORST a "hotly contested" matchup. These teams play well against each other. Every game has shown the best and worst of both teams.

But don't think they'll win 4 out of 5. They won't--in fact if they win this one their prayers will be answered. But not much else.

SpursWoman
04-25-2008, 11:14 AM
Cool, then I won't even have to watch ... I can go to NIOSA after all. :toast

DarrinS
04-25-2008, 11:16 AM
Cool, then I won't even have to watch ... I can go to NIOSA after all. :toast

Is it pronounced "nee-osa" or "ni-osa"?

SpursWoman
04-25-2008, 11:17 AM
For the love of God, it's "NI-OSA" !!!! :lol

DarrinS
04-25-2008, 11:20 AM
For the love of God, it's "NI-OSA" !!!! :lol

That's how I pronouce it. After all, it does stand for Night In Old San Antonio. But, I still hear people say nEEEEEosa. WTF?

wijayas
04-25-2008, 11:20 AM
Naturally, we would have preferred for the Spurs to bag this one home.

m33p0
04-25-2008, 12:03 PM
oh i see. so they sent phoenix some advice on how to stop manu and tp from pick and rolling them to death.

SAGambler
04-25-2008, 12:11 PM
I like the way the media is just steadily confirming for the Suns that this is a must-win game for them. Never hurts to remind them every few minutes that if they lose game 3, they are done for.

BTW Phoenix. In case you haven't heard it lately.

Lose this next one and you can

MAKE VACATION PLANS

hater
04-25-2008, 12:16 PM
this is hilarious. He points out every single aspect the Spurs have an advantage and then says Phoenix wins game 3 :lol

lebomb
04-25-2008, 12:21 PM
I also believe Phoenix will win tonight.

jmard5
04-25-2008, 12:29 PM
What's with this "We/They are the better team" obsession?

Borosai
04-25-2008, 12:37 PM
ESPN is wrong.

Hemotivo
04-25-2008, 12:58 PM
"Steve the spread is only seven."
"Oh I thought you said 11"
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o170/ancestron/p1sheed.jpg
:lmao

Spurminator
04-25-2008, 01:06 PM
You guys are too sensitive. David Thorpe picked the Spurs in 6.

MoSpur
04-25-2008, 01:07 PM
I want to watch because I love my Spurs, but I feel like Phoenix will win tonight because of the energy in the building. I hope I am wrong.

ForeignFan
04-25-2008, 01:08 PM
+1

ancestron
04-25-2008, 01:56 PM
what does ESPN stand for?

duncan228
04-25-2008, 02:15 PM
what does ESPN stand for?

http://espn.go.com/sitetools/s/help/espn-faq.html#ESPN

WHAT DOES ESPN STAND FOR?

It doesn't stand for anything!, but since you asked, the story is this...When ESPN started in 1979 we were the Entertainment and Sports Programming Network (thus, ESPN). However, that name took too long to paint across our chests on game day, so we dropped it in 1985 and adopted a new corporate name -- ESPN, Inc.-- and a new logo. And by the way, we're a subsidiary of ABC, Inc., which is a wholly owned subsidiary of The Walt Disney Co. Also, the Hearst Corporation has a 20% interest in ESPN.

ancestron
04-25-2008, 02:19 PM
cool, thanks :)

SpursFan0728
04-25-2008, 02:56 PM
fuck it
i say spurs win game 3 then lose game 4

Spurs in 5 =)

samikeyp
04-25-2008, 02:58 PM
I think Phoenix wins tonight.

I also think that if the Spurs do win game 3, Phoenix won't win game 4.

FromWayDowntown
04-25-2008, 03:07 PM
I'd be really happy if someone could give me an unconditional guarantee right now that Game 3 will be close in the late stages of the 4th quarter.

Spurminator
04-25-2008, 03:08 PM
I'll give Tim Donaghy a call and see if he knows anyone. ;)

SpursWoman
04-25-2008, 03:09 PM

Nice. :lol

jn77
04-25-2008, 03:21 PM
Didn't ESPN also pick the Suns in 6? Yeah, I'd listen to them right now..:rolleyes

Spurminator
04-25-2008, 03:22 PM
Didn't ESPN also pick the Suns in 6? Yeah, I'd listen to them right now..:rolleyes

David Thorpe, who wrote this column, picked the Spurs in 6.

1Parker1
04-25-2008, 03:23 PM
I thought the easiest game the Suns could have stolen from the Spurs is Game 3. The fact that they are at home should bode well for them tonight. I still don't think they can win 4 of 5 against the Spurs, but if there was one game I think that can help turn things around for them and get their confidence going, it's tonight's game.

SpurOutofTownFan
04-25-2008, 03:32 PM
it's ok they pick the suns, they need to do it for ratings.

FromWayDowntown
04-25-2008, 03:33 PM

Nice.

Dingle Barry
04-25-2008, 03:35 PM
Suns win by 18 points tonight fellas. Spurs unravel in the second half and pop pulls the Big 3 with 8 mins to play.

Budkin
04-25-2008, 03:39 PM
Suns win by 18 points tonight fellas. Spurs unravel in the second half and pop pulls the Big 3 with 8 mins to play.

That's right about what I'm expecting. Obviously we still win the series, but this is just going to be one of those nights where you just look forward to the next game.

BiZNicK
04-25-2008, 03:50 PM
Spurs are winning this game. It won't be easy obviously...but it will happen

I GUARANTHREEEE IT

Rummpd
04-25-2008, 03:54 PM
When ESPN predicts it is smart money to go other way.

Shaolin-Style
04-25-2008, 04:19 PM
Add the around the horn guys to a unanimous pick for the Suns to win game 3.

spyder
04-25-2008, 04:47 PM
ESPN blows:jack

ransome
04-25-2008, 05:58 PM
ESPN is wrong.

Not yet

Allanon
04-25-2008, 06:58 PM
ESPN "Kia Shootaround" pre-game ...All say Suns tonight with Barbosa going big. On the Hornets/Mavs, most agree on Mavs but Stephen A. Smith says Hornets.

Suns are truly pathetic if they can't win these next two home games.

td4mvp21
04-25-2008, 07:02 PM
I hope the Spurs get this game. It would really put a hit to the Suns' confidence. Just keep it close and steal it in the fourth, that's all I ask.

anakha
04-26-2008, 08:49 AM
Bumpage, just for the hell of it. :lol

ransome
04-26-2008, 01:42 PM
Espn was wrong, how unusual.