PDA

View Full Version : Suns' Fans Ready For Game 3 Tonight

duncan228
04-25-2008, 11:42 AM
http://ktar.com/?nid=6&sid=818497

Suns' fans ready for Game 3 tonight

Now or never, crunch time -- any cliche you can think of -- applies to the Phoenix Suns' predicatment as they take on the San Antonio Spurs at US Airways Center tonight in Game 3 of their NBA playoff series.

by Jim Cross and Bob McClay/KTAR

The Spurs won the first two games in San Antonio and no team in NBA history has ever come from three games down to prevail in a seven-game series.

Phoenix Mayor Phil Gordon was confident as he prepared to go through his game day ritual, visiting Starbucks at the arena, today.

"They like to make it exciting. We're going to keep the hope, and I've got to start drinking a lot of espresso," Gordon said. "I'm willing to take bets the Suns will win the next game."

He added, "Keep the faith, we'll get there."

Suns fan Craig Lewis was semi-confident.

"Right now, it's tough, man. I think the Suns are extremely talented and right now it's tough on them, because with the big trade (for Shaquille O'Neal), they're still having to gel. And the Spurs are extremely experienced, this is not new for them."

Lewis said if the Suns can get a win tonight, they'll be back in the thick of it.

An unidentified fan was confident, but careful not to give the Spurs any fuel for the fire.

"I'm not going to trash talk the Spurs," he said. "I'm actually from Texas. I support all those guys -- the Spurs, the Suns, everybody.... The Suns are all great guys, they have a great style that they play, so I want the Suns to pull it out in the long run."

San Antonio fans arriving in the Valley see their NBA defending champions as on the way to a repeat.

"I think the Spurs are a better team, and I like Tim Duncan and Tony Parker. I think the Suns don't have a chance of beating them," said one, although he said he believes the Suns will win tonight.

Downtown Phoenix sports bars are bracing for big crowds this weekend -- Game 3 tonight and Game 4 on Sunday.

"People are always more excited during the playoffs, so they'll be a lot of people," said one worker.

"Because of the playoffs, I'm going to say up to two and a-half hours before the game, we'll be busy," said Chase Crane who works at Stoudemire's.

Chelsea works at Majerle's downtown. She'll not only be working, but really cheering for the Suns.

"I despite the Spurs with every fiber of my being," she says, mentioning one in particular, "If I ever saw Bruce Bowen on the street, I probably would run up and deck him."

She expects to be busy: "There are going to be so many people here. It's going to be so packed before the game both days. And hopefully after the game because everybody's going to want to be celebrating a win."

Chelsea says the Spurs are boring and dirty.

"They are ridiculous. I think they play very dirty. Now we have Shaq and the hack-a-shaq s--- they pull. I don't like the flopping, I don't like the theatrics. I would rather see just an honest-to-God played-out basketball game."

Bartender John Weber says, "The Spurs are the most boring team in the NBA."

A Spurs' fan did not dispute that, agreeing his team doesn't provide much excitement. "But, it's efficient. It gets the job done, so you really can't complain about it."

Weber said the series doesn't start until the home team loses and the Suns still have a good chance.

"We'll win two here, then we'll see the best two out of three after that," he said.

One surprise prediction from the Lone Star State: Austin York of WOAI Radio in San Antonio, said, "I don't know if it's going to be Game 3 or Game 4, but the Spurs are going to lose one of those games by, I suspect, double digits."

Still, York said there's no team better prepared for the playoffs than the Spurs.

"They can turn it on more than I've ever seen any other team. The regular season, no matter what happened through it, as long as they get to the playoffs, they manage to flip that switch."

Tonight's game is sold out. But, tickets are available at KTAR.com classified, e-bay and Craigslist.

BonnerDynasty
04-25-2008, 11:48 AM
`I despite the Spurs with every fiber of my being," she says, mentioning one in particular, ``If I ever saw Bruce Bowen on the street, I probably would run up and deck him."

Riiiiiiight.

callo1
04-25-2008, 11:53 AM
:sleep:sleep:sleep:sleep

Same old Suns...errr Dungs fans. "The Spurs are dirty" "The Spurs are boring" "The Spurs flop".

If that makes you warm and fuzzy and helps you sleep at night...ummm...ok.

Most Sons fans are delusional.

I'm sure Bruce is REAL worried about the chick "decking" him LMAO !! :lmao

...actually, she probably has a better chance of doing that than one of the soft Sunsie players does. :rollin

You keep filling those seats and keep being "entertaining"...we will keep winning trophies. :flag:

Harry Callahan
04-25-2008, 11:53 AM
Good god, this "The Spurs are Dirty and Boring" has been beaten, kicked, buried, rolled over, and pounded into the ground like its some kind of fact. Its not true. Tim Duncan is an efficient offensive player who does not waste energy. Parker and Ginobili are more exciting than 90% of the players in the NBA. The should not ask for basketball analysis from Chelsea the Waitress.

More Stupidity from Phoenix. I wouldn't expect anything else.

SAGambler
04-25-2008, 11:55 AM
This would be a prime time for the Spurs to send a message to the rest of the playoff teams. The Champs are here and we intend to take it all again.

The way to send that message would be to send the Suns packing in 4 games.

SAGambler
04-25-2008, 11:57 AM
Getting the lowdown from a broad that schleps drinks for a living seems to be the norm in Phoenix.

NoMoneyDown
04-25-2008, 12:01 PM
"[The Spurs] are ridiculous. I think they play very dirty. Now we have Shaq and the hack-a-shaq s--- they pull. I don't like the flopping, I don't like the theatrics. I would rather see just an honest-to-God played-out basketball game."

Translation: I don't know a thing about basketball, except I want to see both teams score 150 points like I'm used to watching with my Sun's team.

oboymeetsogirl
04-25-2008, 12:29 PM
Yep, Suns fans hate Hack-a-Shaq because what can be more nauseating than watching Shaq shoot foul shots?

Well, I'm sorry, Suns fans: I don't think Pop is going to indulge you your need for your team's "Seven Seconds or Less" entertainment. We understand that you have to think positive and support Shaq's presence on the team. But if you got'em, I'm afraid you'll have to start learning how to enjoy watching his 52% foul shooting form.

Borosai
04-25-2008, 12:40 PM
Amusing.

Mister Sinister
04-25-2008, 12:41 PM
Pathetic.

ForeignFan
04-25-2008, 12:43 PM
http://ktar.com/?nid=6&sid=818497

Chelsea works at Majerle's downtown. She'll not only be working, but really cheering for the Suns.

"I despite the Spurs with every fiber of my being," she says, mentioning one in particular, "If I ever saw Bruce Bowen on the street, I probably would run up and deck him."

Chelsea says the Spurs are boring and dirty.

"They are ridiculous. I think they play very dirty. Now we have Shaq and the hack-a-shaq s--- they pull. I don't like the flopping, I don't like the theatrics. I would rather see just an honest-to-God played-out basketball game."

Bartender John Weber says, "The Spurs are the most boring team in the NBA."

:flipoff I cannot believe it. I really hope the Spurs give them a good beating tonight. At least the bartenders will be able to go home early.

JMarkJohns
04-25-2008, 12:45 PM
You'd have to go all Clockwork Orange on me to get me to sit through this game. I'll follow it, but there's no way, win or lose (unless it's an unexpected blowout in favor of the Suns) that I could ever enjoy it.

SpursWoman
04-25-2008, 12:47 PM
Oh, yeah?! Well, they are all just a bunch of ugly poo-poo heads!!!!!!11111

:shootme

mardigan
04-25-2008, 12:48 PM
The Spurs are much more exciting to watch now than the Suns are, and the Suns are just about as old.

ChumpDumper
04-25-2008, 12:48 PM
You'd have to go all Clockwork Orange on me to get me to sit through this game. I'll follow it, but there's no way, win or lose (unless it's an unexpected blowout in favor of the Suns) that I could ever enjoy it.Interesting. Could you please elaborate a little?

hater
04-25-2008, 12:50 PM
I am so ready for the game. I want spurs to win and sweep these sorry SOBs

and yeah, I agree, SPurs are actually playing more fun than Suns...

I mean, do you want to see Parker, and Manu penetrating. or Shaq's fat ass?

Don Quixote
04-25-2008, 12:54 PM
I understand they are ready for tonight.

So, they brought their boxes of tissues, I take it?

boutons_
04-25-2008, 12:54 PM
"I despite the Spurs"

Shouldn't that have been:

"I despite [sic] the Spurs"

??

JMarkJohns
04-25-2008, 01:06 PM
Interesting. Could you please elaborate a little?

I can't watch. I'm all tore up inside. If something bad happens, or D'Antoni does something stupid, I'll lose my head.

So... instead of watching, I'll follow it at random on the internet and through various message boards. It keeps me in the know without causing me to go effin' bonkers.

Last year, after game four, I lost it. I joke I saw a bright light and was speaking in tongues, but in reality I was just way too mad at a game I have no control over. Until I can regain some control over my emotional reactions, I've separated myself from viewing the games.

I'm serious, I'm like the freakin' Hulk when watching the games. Every little thing just eats at me. I can't enjoy a possession. It's a sickness and I'm trying to get a handle on it.

On Saturday, instead of watching, I sat in a parked car and listened on the radio to the fourth and two OTs. Why in a parked car, because even simply listening I was too upset to safely drive.

Hope that's enough psycho analysis for ya :)

PHXSpursFan
04-25-2008, 01:26 PM
Just a game, bro. I love sports, but I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

ehz33satx
04-25-2008, 02:08 PM

Exactly what I thought. Its just a game. There are way more important things in life than "Game 3 of the First Round of the NBA Finals." I am going to record this game and probably watch it 2 or 3 times. But if we lose I am not going to cry like JMarkJohns most probably would. Sheesh!

easjer
04-25-2008, 02:09 PM
I can't watch. I'm all tore up inside. If something bad happens, or D'Antoni does something stupid, I'll lose my head.

So... instead of watching, I'll follow it at random on the internet and through various message boards. It keeps me in the know without causing me to go effin' bonkers.

Last year, after game four, I lost it. I joke I saw a bright light and was speaking in tongues, but in reality I was just way too mad at a game I have no control over. Until I can regain some control over my emotional reactions, I've separated myself from viewing the games.

I'm serious, I'm like the freakin' Hulk when watching the games. Every little thing just eats at me. I can't enjoy a possession. It's a sickness and I'm trying to get a handle on it.

On Saturday, instead of watching, I sat in a parked car and listened on the radio to the fourth and two OTs. Why in a parked car, because even simply listening I was too upset to safely drive.

Honey, I am the same way. I completely understand. :depressed

easjer
04-25-2008, 02:10 PM

That's exactly why I (and probably JMarkJohns, though I don't want to put words in his mouth) turn it off. Mental health is a good thing, and recognizing when you are losing it over a stupid basketball game is a good thing.

SRJ
04-25-2008, 02:19 PM
Honestly (and I'm not saying this to rain on JMark or any of the cool Suns fans), I stopped going apeshit over games once the Spurs won their first championship. Sure I get angry here or there, but knowing that my favorite team joined the club at last make losses easier to take. I shudder to think what I might be like today if the Spurs were still one of the "0-fer" teams. (Again, not trying to rub in anything)

Spurminator
04-25-2008, 02:24 PM
I had very similar emotions during the Spurs-Lakers series in 01 and 02.

ancestron
04-25-2008, 02:34 PM
Schooling Nash, O'Neal, and Stoudemire, hitting game-saving threes, hitting game winning shots, coming back from double digit deficits, locking down on D, forcing turnovers, knifing through the lane possession after possession, taking hard fouls and still making the shot, O'Neal getting his fat ass blocked....
the only thing missing is a few between the leg passes, an alley-oop slam or 2, a breakaway Ginobili Dunk, and for someone(*cough* Bruce Bowen *cough*) to set up shop in the corner and drill about 7 threes.

How boring.

Borosai
04-25-2008, 02:35 PM
I also lose it sometimes. During the '06 series against the Kings, I tore my t-shirt in half (after that Manu-turnover-Martin-layup play). I used to let every loss during the regular season bother me too. Now, the idea of losing to anyone still sickens me; I can always find a reason to be really pissed about losing to a certain team. But, I'm a Bills fan, so I know how it feels to be on the other end.

I'm just trying to enjoy the games (and hopefully watch the Spurs beat teams they are supposed to beat).

easjer
04-25-2008, 02:38 PM
I enjoy a lot of the games and don't always feel worked up, but sometimes I still do get all crazy about it - which is when it gets turned off (or I leave the room). I don't know how to not get mad, so I do the next best thing.

Oh, btw, Spurs are dirty, old, and boring. How original. I'm so tired of reading that, because all it does is show that people don't watch games, and how can you take someone seriously pontificating when they tell you up front that they didn't see it or follow it?

ATRAIN
04-25-2008, 02:48 PM

Do you turn green too?

SAGambler
04-25-2008, 02:53 PM
Guys, no reason to go ballistic over a ballgame......of any kind.

We have young men and women losing their lives in Iraq. We have a looming recession, many even say a depression coming at us. You may soon see gas and even some food rationing.

So when you look at the big picture, the winning or losing of a ballgame, by a bunch of highly paid athletes probably rates about a 1 on the "things to worry about" scale. Right up there with worrying about UFOs.

Look at it for what it is. Entertainment. Nothing more, nothing less.

You'll be a whole lot happier and get to quit worrying about impending ulcers.

Brutalis
04-25-2008, 02:54 PM
I keep trying to accept that Suns fans are really just believers. All they been through on top of help and still failure, I see why they truly believe they are better and should win the title.

It's just so sad. They at least are getting us worked in for these playoffs.

Brutalis
04-25-2008, 02:55 PM
When I looked into their demented souls I should add.

GaryJohnston
04-25-2008, 03:01 PM

Thats tought man. But I understand. Well I guess if I had to sit through my Spurs failing every year, I'd probably feel the same way.

smeagol
04-25-2008, 03:05 PM
Crappy article . . .

Xylus
04-25-2008, 03:16 PM
I'm not quite as bad as JMark at handling a loss, but I'm close to it. I'm sick and fucking tired of having a championship-level team on the court that never seems to perform at the level they can obviously achieve. I'm sick of watching D'Antoni poison the mindset of this team with his dumbass delusions that somehow he deserves to win a championship simply because the media has anointed him the "savior of the NBA." I want my fucking cake and I want to fucking eat it.

phyzik
as much as I hate Hack-a-shaq, nothing would please me more than to watch Pop pick Horry, of all people, off the bench to start some hack-a-shaq on PHX home court, just to irk the shit out of their fans :lol

FromWayDowntown
I feel you JMark.

Age has brought me some perspective, but I've always struggled to fight negative emotions when watching Spurs games on TV or listening to them on the radio. I would agree with the notion that the Spurs' successes have mellowed me, to some extent at least, on the frustration with individual losses or the sense of impending doom that they can collectively create. But I'll admit that I still get that building frustration and (occasionally) rage that comes with being passionate about something and sometimes have to walk away from the TV or turn off the radio to maintain my sanity.

FromWayDowntown
04-25-2008, 03:17 PM
I'm not quite as bad as JMark at handling a loss, but I'm close to it. I'm sick and fucking tired of having a championship-level team on the court that never seems to perform at the level they can obviously achieve. I'm sick of watching D'Antoni poison the mindset of this team with his dumbass delusions that somehow he deserves to win a championship simply because the media has anointed him the "savior of the NBA." I want my fucking cake and I want to fucking eat it.

Welcome to being a Spurs fan, circa 1990-1996.

Xylus
04-25-2008, 03:18 PM
Welcome to being a Spurs fan, circa 1990-1996.

Or a Suns fan during that same time period.

Crookshanks
04-25-2008, 03:21 PM
Just a quick note here: I'm now living in the DFW area and I wore my 2007 Championship t-shirt today. This one guy just stopped me and went "oh man, you're a Spurs fan?" He said the Mavs suck but that the Spurs were going down also. I asked him if he meant in this 1st round, and he said yes. I said he was crazy and he said "if the refs stay out of it, then the Suns will win." WHAT A MORON!

And just to prove what a know-nothing he was, he went on to talk about how Tony Parker BROKE Steve Nash's nose last year...

phyzik
04-25-2008, 03:22 PM
I feel you JMark.

Age has brought me some perspective, but I've always struggled to fight negative emotions when watching Spurs games on TV or listening to them on the radio. I would agree with the notion that the Spurs' successes have mellowed me, to some extent at least, on the frustration with individual losses or the sense of impending doom that they can collectively create. But I'll admit that I still get that building frustration and (occasionally) rage that comes with being passionate about something and sometimes have to walk away from the TV or turn off the radio to maintain my sanity.

Ya, whats really crazy is in San Antonio, you can actually FEEL it in the air the next day when something doesnt go right with the Spurs... EVERYONE is upset and in a foul mood, its crazy!

There is just no way to explain it to someone who hasnt been here. This IS a one horse town and just about everyone in town is affected by its performance.

I had never noticed it so much until a few years ago when an old friend came down from up north. He was here during a 5 game span, If I remember right, the first 2 games we won, the next 2 we lost and the last one we won (cant be sure, but it was something like that). He had to point out to me how creepy it was how that affected everyones personality that he met for those 2 weeks, everyone from the grocery store attendant to the people in the bars. :lol

Mr.Bottomtooth
04-25-2008, 03:55 PM

:lol

FromWayDowntown
04-25-2008, 04:14 PM

I don't know -- you guys at least got to a Finals.

We crapped out in Round 2, Round 1 (losing to a 7 seed), Round 1, Round 1, Round 3 (losing all 3 games at home), and Round 2 during the same stretch.

timvp
04-25-2008, 04:53 PM
I would say championships have made watching the Spurs lose in the playoffs easier, but 2004 and 2006 were so annoying that I don't know if that's true. It's true for regular season, though. After four championships, it's pretty hard to get up or down no matter what happens in the regular season.

I'm weird in that I like soaking up playoff losses. My theory is that if watching the Spurs lose didn't suck so much, watching them win wouldn't be so fun. I'll re-watch playoff losses more than wins just to soak it all in. Playoff losses suck but it's part of the journey.

Borosai
04-25-2008, 05:14 PM
I would say championships have made watching the Spurs lose in the playoffs easier, but 2004 and 2006 were so annoying that I don't know if that's true. It's true for regular season, though. After four championships, it's pretty hard to get up or down no matter what happens in the regular season.

I'm weird in that I like soaking up playoff losses. My theory is that if watching the Spurs lose didn't suck so much, watching them win wouldn't be so fun. I'll re-watch playoff losses more than wins just to soak it all in. Playoff losses suck but it's part of the journey.

See, I'm the opposite. When the Spurs lose, I avoid SC at all costs. :bang

JMarkJohns
04-25-2008, 05:22 PM
Exactly what I thought. Its just a game. There are way more important things in life than "Game 3 of the First Round of the NBA Finals." I am going to record this game and probably watch it 2 or 3 times. But if we lose I am not going to cry like JMarkJohns most probably would. Sheesh!

Who said anything about crying? I've punched holes in my walls from being frustrated. I lose my mind. I don't sit and sob. I go effin' nuts.

And no, you just don't understand. It's not just a game. Not to me. In reality it may very well be such, but I've followed the Suns for 20 years. I've bled them. I've screamed byself hoarse, and clapped my hands so hard ans so often they became numb.

I don't paint my face or wear jersey's, but I'm about as passionate about sports as anyone is about anything. I hated losing when I played. Now that I have to live through them, I hate when they lose just as much. I hate that I can't do anything about it when adjustments are so painfully obvious a monkey could probably make them from dumb luck. I hate that nothing but the same old same old has come from a roster so full of talent we should be talking about a second Title, at the least. I hate that when a loss occurs, excuses and claims of "We're still better" fill the airways and the papers instead of admissions of, "We failed. We better find out why and do something before it's too late."

For you casual fans, and especially those who've only known these good, Title-winning years, please don't pretend you know my plight. It's like being a Cubs fan, only to be so close, so many times, you can not only see the prize at the end of the road, but you can taste victory. Problem is, everytime we reach out, the doors are slammed right on our hands.

I haven't given up on them. I follow them. Difference is, I'm still sane by games conclusion.

word
04-25-2008, 05:27 PM
I think I fucked Chelsea on a trip out to Phoenix a couple of years ago. Blonde about 5' 04", dumber than a box of rocks. Yup, that's her.

pad300
04-25-2008, 05:57 PM

I hate to tell you this Xylus, but the above well, it has a mistake. The Suns are not and have NEVER been a championship level team. They will never be, until they get, for lack of a better word, guts, toughness, balls, whatever you want to call it, to execute when the chips are down, to live up to their physical talent, to bring their best when facing the best competition.

JMarkJohns
04-25-2008, 06:33 PM
I hate to tell you this Xylus, but the above well, it has a mistake. The Suns are not and have NEVER been a championship level team. They will never be, until they get, for lack of a better word, guts, toughness, balls, whatever you want to call it, to execute when the chips are down, to live up to their physical talent, to bring their best when facing the best competition.

You can argue symantics and opinion-based definitions, but the Suns have had Championship level talent at least four true times in my lifetime. 1989, 1993, 1995 and 2007. You can throw in 1994 and 2005 if you want, but realistically those teams got beat by better teams.

In 1989 the beat the Lakers, finally, then took too deep a breath and found themselves losing to Portland, despite having homecourt. In 1993, you can argue that Jordan tipped the scales, but I've read where Jordan has said the only team he faced that he had any doubt against was the Suns. It was probably that doubt that ignited him to average 40 per in the six games. In 1995, the Suns had the second-best record in the West and had gone 2-2 vs. your Spurs in the regular season, so chances are they, at the very least, compete to advance to the Finals. I think they win it all if they beat those Rockets. And last year was definitely a team capable of winning a Title.

The biggest difference in that series was Horry's shove of Nash. That doesn't happen, then who knows.

You can sit and smuggly cast down your opinion as fact because you happen to root for a team with Titles, but the fact is, I agree with Xylus. The Suns have had some damn talented teams. And while you're right one small thing has been missing from each team, I think that was Xylus' point anyways. The fact that these teams were so close only to lose because of a mental lapse from coach or player(s).

td4mvp21
04-25-2008, 06:39 PM
The Suns have the talent. When you think about it, the Spurs have been the team they can't beat. They lost to Dallas but they didn't have Stoudemire. What they have lacked (and what they have appeared to lack this series so far, although things could easily change) is the team cohesiveness, discipline, and coaching that the Spurs have. The Suns have more overall talent than the Spurs, however, the Spurs utilize what they have better and more efficiently than the Suns. Plus, they play very good defense. That seems to give the Suns problems they can't overcome. If the Spurs hadn't beat the Suns last year, they probably would have won the title. You could argue the same thing for 2005. Hell, in 2006 they made the conference finals without Stoudemire! I actually used to cheer for Phoenix when the Spurs were out (did so in 2006 when the Spurs got knocked out). Then 2007 came and now I hate them with a passion.

JMarkJohns
04-25-2008, 06:46 PM
The Spurs have a coach, a GM (which the Suns had) and an owner both capable of constructing and willing to pay for the little things.

Mostly they have a coach. I think, in the end, at least recently, it all boils down to Pops vs. 'Antoni.