PDA

View Full Version : J.A. Adande Chat: Minus Lost Discussion

Bulwark
04-25-2008, 03:35 PM
J.A. Adande: (3:00 PM ET ) Greetings. After two weeks of airports this week I'm coming to you poolside from Phoenix, where I'm getting ready for Suns-Spurs tonight -- the most important game of the entire playoffs to date. So, yes, I'm in a good mood. So good that I'll hold off on the Lost discussion till the very end and promise to give you spoiler warnings.

Remember, multiple submissions won't be answered. Let's keep the question queue free from clutter so I can get to as many as possible.

Jake (Syracuse): J.A., do you think Philly has a chance to win the series or do you think they awoke the sleeping giant in the Pistons by winning game 1?

J.A. Adande: (3:02 PM ET ) When Detroit wants to the Pistons can play as well as anyone in the league. Now that Philly has their attention I don't think you'll see another lapse by Detroit again this round. But the fact they had one doesn't bode well for them down the road

RL (NY): Mike Brown may be a great defensive coach, but he is completely inept on the other end of the court. He has a transcendent star in Lebron, and a viable post option in Z, as well as some decent shooters, yet he can't get this team to put the ball in the hole consistently. Did he not anticipate the trapping on Lebron to force the ball out of his hands? He couldn't come up with a better game plan against this?

J.A. Adande: (3:04 PM ET ) Apparently not. Nothing about the elements surrounding LeBron -- players, coaches, front office -- screams "championship" at you. Coach could be the easiest one to address before tLeBron's opt-out date in 2010. As Michael Ray Richardson would say, the clock be ticking

Jay Sydney Australia: Hey adande, how far do you see the lakers going, and why? What will be their key to success or reason for failure be?

J.A. Adande: (3:06 PM ET ) The further the submission, the better the chance of getting posted. G'day, mate! I can see the Lakers making the Finals if the matchups go right (but I don't think they way they've played this week would beat the Spurs the way they've played this week). The whole key to the Lakers is if they're going to play defense the way they did on the last weekend of the regular season. If not, they'll be out earlier

Ben (Charlotte): Why is it that the Pistons are always questioned for their psyche, but the Cavs go out and lose by 30 pts to the Wiz and it's just "a bad performance?"

J.A. Adande: (3:07 PM ET ) Because the Pistons are a much better team than Cleveland. We've seen Cleveland lose to plenty of bad teams this season. There's no way the Pistons should have lost that opening game of the playoffs at home to an unseasoned team. Inexcusable.

John M. Houston, TX: J.A., I Read your article today (Suns Losing At Own Game, Now Racing Against Elimination) and you made some good points. However, you lost me when you said "They (Suns) started the playoffs thinking of themselves as championship contenders, in the same class as the Celtics, Pistons and Lakers." I guess the Spurs aren't in this class either?

J.A. Adande: (3:09 PM ET ) Just an accidental oversight on my part. Lack of sleep. Of course the Spurs are in the championship-contender class. After all, they're the champions.

Zach (NC): Can you explain to me exaclty why everyone was picking the Mavs to win their series against New Orleans? What exactly is playoff experience? It seems to me that the Mavs' most recent "playoff experience" includes two bad choke jobs in their last two playoff series, three if this one holds up.

J.A. Adande: (3:12 PM ET ) The GS series wasn't just a choke, it was a bad matchup, following the way things went in the regular season. The Mavericks clocked NO in their last regular-season meeting, so it isn't as if NO is one of those teams Dallas just can't beat. I think the first time a team plays at a new level that's worth a game to the opponent (i.e. the Bulls losing Game 1 of the NBA Finals to an inferior Laker team in 1991). the Hornets' jitters showed in the first half of Game 1. But Dallas wasn't able to capitalize, put them away and take that game.

Tristan (Kyoto): Hey JA - do you see the Raptors coming back and winning this series? They are a Chris Bosh jumper away from being up 2-1 right now, and Mitchell is finally playing the right personnel. Do you see Mitchell getting canned if the Raps lose?

J.A. Adande: (3:14 PM ET ) I dont like the fact that they made 12 three-pointers in their lone victory -- at home. It's hard to see that happening again. Yes, the Magic made a lot of threes in their victory in the opener, but they also got a 20-20 from Dwight Howard -- and as we've seen that is something we can reasonably expect to see again.I think how the Raptors go out will affect Mitchell's job status, not just if

Columbia Falls, MT: Besides trying to control Chris Paul from anywhere on the court, what do the Mavs have to do to make it out of the 1st round?

J.A. Adande: (3:16 PM ET ) Play smarter offensively. They settled for jump shots far too often, while the supposedly less savvy Hornets showed more patience and got the ball inside. The Hornets only shoot threes when they're wide open. And when the Mavs have been wide open, they aren't connecting. That's one thing that should change at home.

Joe (GR, MI): Whats more impressive 49 and 10 or 32 and 17?

J.A. Adande: (3:18 PM ET ) math-wise, 64 is more than 59, right?

J.A. Adande: (3:18 PM ET ) Both were amazing performances, though. Kobe's late flurry -- 19 in less than 4 1/2 minutes -- was so fast you almost didn't realize what had happened. Paul's was more of a steady domination

Ryan (Canada): So, if the Pistons don;t get it done again this year then the 2004 title could have been a fluke. I think thats a little disrespectful, did you forget they got back to game 7 of the nba finals the next season? Getting a title and then ebing 12 minute away from anther isnt a fluke wouldn't you say?

J.A. Adande: (3:22 PM ET ) Sometimes a few minutes are all it takes to change legacies. The Mavs were a couple of minutes away from getting a 3-0, and then a championship, and Dirk would have been the Ultimate Euro player.. Now we look at them as choking dogs. The Pistons couldn't close the deal. And the way they've gone about losing some of these playoff games is a bad reflection on them...not a sign of greatness. Their one chance to change that impression is by winning a chip this year.

Friedman - NY: Im no mathemitician but 32 + 17 does not equal 64...

J.A. Adande: (3:23 PM ET ) 66. Sorry. Can you tell I only took one math class in college? (how basic was it? there were a lot of athletes in there)

Rick(orlando): 32 +17 = 49

J.A. Adande: (3:25 PM ET ) No we have to do some explaining: 17 assists equals 34 points + 32 points equals 66. 49 points plus 10 assists equals 69 points, which is more than Paul's total, which means I got that whole thing wrong, which is why i'm never trying to do any math in here again

David (St. Louis, MO): Word is coming out of Bynum's swelling being under control...any chance the Lakers can incorporate him for the WCF and Finals if they can get past HOU/UT without him?

J.A. Adande: (3:29 PM ET ) For all of the Bynum questions out there, I wouldn't get too excited about a report that swelling is going down. He still has to get several practices in, then step back into a different team than when he left. When you hear reports about how he's tearing it up in practice, then you can get your hopes up. I'm still not expecting much from him this postseason

Rick (running from the smoke monster): Is Ben traveling through time?

J.A. Adande: (3:30 PM ET ) sorry. meant to save that for later. back to the playoffs

Adriel Carolino (Cerritos, Ca): All this talk is from other articles making me curious... What the hell did David West say to Dirk during that confrontation?

J.A. Adande: (3:30 PM ET ) I think he said something about Dirk's sister...wait, that was the World Cup

G (NYC): I think Kobe's passes hit more teammates for threes than Paul's! LOL. How about keeping it simple. Kobe = 59 and Paul = 49.

J.A. Adande: (3:31 PM ET ) More math consideration. I'm leaving the numbers to Hollinger

Josh Pak-Hou: what are the chances of houston winning in Utah Again with a revived alston?

J.A. Adande: (3:33 PM ET ) Asking Houston to win twice in Utah is a little much. I think last night's game was a case of Utah not taking them seriously enough and expecting fans to win it for them

Kurt (Wilmington, NC): Why does DeShawn Stevenson feel the need to keep running his mouth both on and off the court like he has done something in his career? It is extremely annoying!!

J.A. Adande: (3:36 PM ET ) He's exactly like his buddy Soulja Boy, getting all hyped over one hit. DeShawn needs to win at least two games in this series before he can start clowning the way he was. By the way, the Wizards were doing a retrospective of celebration dances last night. On that and-one, Caron gave you a little Vince Carter rev-it-up, and a Darius Miles head pound. Old school. Caron has more license to do that because he's been an All-Star

Gustavo (San Juan, Puerto Rico): Why is Dirk getting so criticized for being a wimp? If he took a swing at David West, he would be suspended right now. Although a little push would have been nice...

J.A. Adande: (3:38 PM ET ) All people were saying is, at least slap his hand away. You won't get kicked out for doing that. You'd get a double-tech, but at least your rep would be intact. A player told me yesterday that if he saw Dirk let West get away with that he'd know he could have freedom to do whatever he wanted to Dirk with no fear of retaliation

ardalan lansing mi: ja coming home from lansing to socal has messed up my timing. i practically missed the whole chat! what is your favorite basketball moment of all time?

J.A. Adande: (3:42 PM ET ) David Aldridge and I were talking last night about some of the great moments we've been lucky enough to see in person...the ones we both were at included Jordan's sick game, the triple-OT, the "Save the City" and the Paxson shot games from the 93 Finals, among them. But I think my personal best was one I watched on TV: Magic's Junior Sky Hook against the Celtics. It has added meaning because it's one of the few hoops moments I remember sharing with my mom, who passed away 8 years ago

Juan (Miami): J.A.: With the success of Chris Paul this season, Do you see any way the Heat don't pick Derrick Rose with the top pick if they land the first pick.

J.A. Adande: (3:44 PM ET ) That should help Rose's case. Plus I think his best-case scenario plays out like Chris Paul's career (I don't hink he'll quite get there, but he could)...where I don't know if Michael Beasley projects to the level of an MVP candidate.

Brad(NM): Talk about running his mouth, what was Mike Bibby thinking?

J.A. Adande: (3:45 PM ET ) Not smart, but it's a better move to call out the fans than to call out someone who can drop 30-10-10 on you, right DeShawn?

Emery (Rye, NY): Just to give a playoffs a rest for a sec-what are the realistic expectations for Walsh's first year in NYC? Does he shed as many useless players in a fire sale asap, or see if the existing team can improve with a coach who actually knows what he is doing?

J.A. Adande: (3:47 PM ET ) If the players are useless, who's going to be them, even at a fire sale? I think they do as little as possible, actually, to avoid taking on any bad contracts. But they had to make the apperance of change, which is why Isiah's gone and someone like Mark Jackson can give peope something to talk/think about for a while

Keyan (Rockville): hey JA, had a discussion with my friends and we concluded Kobe's style of game(Similar to that of MJ) as opposed to Lebron's(Driving/slashing primarily) will be remembered as a greater all time player. All of Jordans memorable clutch shots are jumpers and the ability go one on one and consistently knock medium range jumpers. Dont you think in the Finals teams will load up Lebrons drives..thus not allowing him to create as many memorable clutch shots?

J.A. Adande: (3:51 PM ET ) Interesting point. But I think we could see LeBron go on one of his unstoppable drives to the basket at any time or place.
that dunk against the Pistons wasn't the Finals, but conference finals is close enough.

http://imgsrv.espn950.com/image/wiau2/UserFiles/Image/lebron%20dunk.jpg

What makes Kobe's so memorable is that he can make bad -- or even impossible shots -- better than anyone in the history of the game.

Gerardo (Tempe, AZ): JA, I'm sure you are enjoying one of our very many awesome resorts in the valley...welcome! If you could take any 1 player right now, and your ONLY purpose is to win a championship, who do you take? I think I still take TD.

J.A. Adande: (3:53 PM ET ) I don't think Duncan is still The Guy that will win the championship this year. Was last year, but this year Manu is as or more important to the Spurs. Hmmm. there's no one else out there who has shown he can do it and is still able to do it. Maybe, at this moment, Garnett. But I wouldn't bank on him the way you could bank on Duncan last year

Justin (IL): I disagree with Dirk's rep taking a hit because he did not slap West's hand away. Don't you think it shows Dirk staying poised and focus instead of getting into a slap fest with West?

http://assets.espn.go.com/i/sn2.gif J.A. Adande: (3:55 PM ET ) It's the subtle things. You saw LeBron get chippy and pop on Haywood when Haywood was standing over him, but he didn't let it escalate. Smart

Johnstone (Wrigleyville): Whats to say that LeBrons game cant evolve? MJs game evolved which is why he was so dominating. From a slashing player to a player who relied on a fade away turnaround jumpshot at the end of his career. Judging LeBron as a player today and trying to model out his entire career is selling his growth potential far too short

J.A. Adande: (3:56 PM ET ) He can evolve. But why not go through the lane the way he has been until teams show they can stop it? I love the fact that he figured out he can do that at will and doesn't settle for fallaways

Dan (Hollywood, CA): We are a couple of games into the playoffs do you imagine any team that is down in their series pulling an upset? If you had to choose what series do you think?

J.A. Adande: (3:58 PM ET ) I think the Suns still are capable. Two home wins and they have to feel as if they can play just a little better in San Anton and win Game 5

Jeff (Dallas, Tx): If Dallas is bounced and Avery is fired, who does Cuban bring in? Larry Brown?

J.A. Adande: (3:59 PM ET ) I can't imagine Cuban and Brown working together. Both are too insistent on doing things their way.

Drew (San Jose): In my mind, the oft-seen gesture by many NBA players in confrontations would've been appropriate by Dirk: point your finger in the guy's face and saying something like: if you do that again, something very bad is going to happen to you. Minimal risk because if DWest throws a punch or slap, he'd have been out for the game.

J.A. Adande: (4:01 PM ET ) LIke a player told me, nobody fights in the NBA, so you might as well just start pointing and pushing because you know there won't be any punches thrown. (It's amazing how this incident came up as much with current and ex players as it does with the fans and media) Somehow that tap turned into one of the main talking points of the first round. Can we get back to Chris Paul?

Celtic Pride (Boston): Are the Celtics even participating in this post season? Judging by this chat, No. What is Rando's ceiling? Are we seeing it, or do you think he'll get better with more experience?

J.A. Adande: (4:06 PM ET ) Celtic fans have been quiet in here all season. Surprisingly few questions for the year the team and KG had. Mayb Bibby was on to something. As for Rondo, he has answered every challenge this season. That's saying something, because the whole Big 3 thing could have been rendered useless if Rondo didn't account for himself. Much like Chris Paul, he still has some points to prove. Next step...doing it on the road in the playoffs. for Rondo, I think the real test comes vs. Chauncey and the Pistons. Would you settle for him being as effective in his system as Derek Fisher? Different styles, but Fisher's turned out pretty well in LA

Keyan (Rockville): Please take this one last comment. JA, there is where we disagree. Lebron has to learn how to hit jumpers and pull ups at the end of games because in the Finals(Hence the Spurs series) great teams are going to take away the lane in the finals. What finals moment can you give me where there was an actual dunk or lay up to win a game? Defenses can not take away pull up jumpers. My issue is Lebron's style has always been to attack and I don't think he can change that, and that will hurt his ability to create finals moments, like a Kobe or MJ?

J.A. Adande: (4:09 PM ET ) Would you really be willing to bet that he won't develop it? Has LeBron failed to respond to any challenge he's faced so far? Take my answer to the Rondo question and multiply it times 10

Mike (Wash DC): Is it possible for a team to be less disciplined than Denver? And what exactly is George Karl's job title? He doesn't seem to be doing any real coaching. Or if he is, it's not sinking in. And how many seconds go by between the time the Nugs are eliminated and when Karl gets called into the boss' office for a little chat?

J.A. Adande: (4:12 PM ET ) All people at Staples Center could talk about was how undisciplined the Nuggets were in the first two games. I lost a question that asked where Avery could go if he gets canned by the Mavs. How about Denver? maybe he could instill the defensive accountability that took the Mavs to the finals

Raymond (baltimore): JA I think this is a better link for James' dunk on sheed, unless he's posterized him more then once lol. http://media3.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/photo/2007/05/27/PH2007052701349.jpg

Ryan (San Diego): Get out of here with the Bibby had a point nonsense. Just cause Celtics fans don't have to resort to annoying Cowbell style gimmicks doesn't mean they aren't there. Rondo is already better than Derek Fisher ever was and he is in his second year. Two years from now his defense is going to be getting him compared to The Glove.

http://assets.espn.go.com/i/sn2.gif J.A. Adande: (4:15 PM ET ) Why does the Celtic defense come from San Diego? Where ya at, Boston?

Tim (Athens): Why are you so obsessed with trying to run LeBron out of Cleveland? He continues to say he loves it there, is from there, his family is all there. Not once has he said that he wants to leave, why do you think he would magically change his mind?

J.A. Adande: (4:18 PM ET ) I'm not one of those people that automatically believes LeBron will leave for NY. In addition to the factors you mentioned, he can sign the largest contract if he stays with Cleveland (unless he does a sign-and-trade). But if his No. 1 priority is winning a championship and he doesn't have confidence in the Cleveland organization to get it done, then he could bounce.

Mike (Boston): I don't know for a fact that the Celtics will win a championship, but I do know that I wouldn't want to step on the tracks when the KG express is coming through.

J.A. Adande: (4:19 PM ET ) Uh, not exactly the strongest trash talk...but I'm telling you. Slim pickings from Boston.

Marc (Malden, MA): Celtics fans don't need to defend ourselves.

Josette (Wilmington, DE): Do you agree with me and my husband about Chris Paul, that he has the potential to become one of the best point guards in the history of the NBA?

J.A. Adande: (4:21 PM ET ) Sure. I don't think anyone will knock Magic out of the top perch in my mind, but I could Paul up there with Isiah, Stockton, etc.

Mike (Boise): It is amazing to me how the Suns are 1 basket away from being tied and now the sky is falling and D'Antoni can't coach and is on the hot seat. I'd be more worried if I were a Mavs fan than a Suns fan and that has nothing to do with the Spurs or Hornets, just the fact that the Suns arguably should have won both games in SA.

J.A. Adande: (4:24 PM ET ) No question, the Suns did a lot right and can take encouragement from that. But winning games in crunch time is its own separate category -- maybe the most important -- and the Suns came up short there twice. They CAN find something. They're not ready for the morgue yet. But I'd feel better for them if they had a bread-and-butter they could fall back on, plus more of a defensive backbone. We'll see tonight on ESPN! (Obligatory company hype)

J.A. Adande: (4:26 PM ET ) that'll do it for the hoops portion of the program. Now for some Lost talk. If you haven't seen it yet (you can watch it on abc.com) I'll see you next week, if you have seen it and want to talk stick around

Bulwark
04-25-2008, 03:37 PM
John M. Houston, TX: J.A., I Read your article today (Suns Losing At Own Game, Now Racing Against Elimination) and you made some good points. However, you lost me when you said "They (Suns) started the playoffs thinking of themselves as championship contenders, in the same class as the Celtics, Pistons and Lakers." I guess the Spurs aren't in this class either?

J.A. Adande: (3:09 PM ET ) Just an accidental oversight on my part. Lack of sleep. Of course the Spurs are in the championship-contender class. After all, they're the champions.

This was my question and now I know why the Spurs are left out of the title-contention discussion: A lack of sleep for the authors.

I also asked him if he changed his pre-series prediction of Suns In 6 and got no answer.

BonnerDynasty
04-25-2008, 05:57 PM
I fucking hate this guy. He is such a Lakers homer.

He left Spurs out on purpose.

Bulwark
04-25-2008, 07:38 PM
I fucking hate this guy. He is such a Lakers homer.

He left Spurs out on purpose. Yeah, sleep deprivation as a response is pretty weak in my book.