PDA

View Full Version : Carter out to prove he's healthy; restore reputation

ducks
07-29-2003, 08:44 PM
Tuesday, July 29
Carter out to prove he's healthy; restore reputation
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Associated Press

TORONTO (AP) _ Vince Carter, who was added to the U.S. Olympic qualifying team this week, views next month's tournament in Puerto Rico as an opportunity to start turning around a career that has been on a slow decline since the 2000 Olympics.

``It's my chance to go out there and let people see that I'm fine, I'm healthy, and that I'm on my way back,'' Carter said.

The Toronto Raptors' star hasn't played a complete season in three years because of knee injuries. He averaged only 20.6 points last season _ his lowest total since his rookie season _ in just 43 games.

Some of his peers criticized him for not playing through pain.

``It was a rough season. There's a lot doubters out there,'' said Carter, who will try to restore his reputation.

``I think I'll do it through my play. I'm not going out there to say 'Hey, be my friend again,''' Carter said. ``They'll see who I am and what I'm about, and hopefully some of those guys will regret what they said and they'll come to me and say 'Look I'm sorry.'''

Carter replaces Kobe Bryant, who withdrew from the team last week because of shoulder and knee surgeries. The Los Angeles Lakers' star still plans to play for the U.S. team at the 2004 Olympics if the Americans qualify.

Carter isn't guaranteed a spot on the 2004 team, but he didn't seem worried about it.

``If I do what I'm supposed to do, it will take care of itself,'' Carter said.

Carter led the U.S. team in scoring at the 2000 Olympics, averaging 14.8 points and shooting 50.6 percent as the Americans won the gold medal.

He will play in the Tournament of the Americas qualifying tournament from Aug. 20-31. Three Olympic spots are open to teams from the FIBA-Americas region.

Also on the 2003 U.S. team are Seattle's Ray Allen and Nick Collison, Sacramento's Mike Bibby, Elton Brand of the Los Angeles Clippers, Tim Duncan of San Antonio, Philadelphia's Allen Iverson, New Jersey's Jason Kidd and Richard Jefferson, Karl Malone of the Lakers, Tracy McGrady of Orlando and Indiana's Jermaine O'Neal.

The team opens training camp in New York on Aug. 10. scoop (http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/gen/wire?messageId=18478025)

exstatic
07-29-2003, 09:14 PM
Jefferson being on the team is almost as much a travesty as Isaiah Thoms being left of the Original Dream Team. RJeff is strictly middle of the road talent, and I'll bet he was Kidd's price for playing. He couldn't shoot his way out of a wet paper bag, and has been exposed against the best competition.

MannyIsGod
07-29-2003, 09:37 PM
I've heard this before. whatever.

F7
07-29-2003, 09:38 PM
I better see some cool dunks.

genghisrex
07-29-2003, 10:41 PM
Whoa, deja vu! Carter's out to prove something, he'll be an MVP candidate, yada, yada. It sounds just like ... last year.

MissAllThat
07-29-2003, 11:01 PM
I hope he does well. I used to like him a lot as a player, back when he actually played.

adidas11
07-30-2003, 12:33 AM
Best of luck to Vince Carter in the upcoming season. I hope he has a strong year, and is able to regain his superstar status.