PDA

View Full Version : Tony Parker: 1st Ballot Basketball HOF

phxspurfan
04-25-2008, 11:27 PM
- 3 championships by age 25
- 1st notable French NBA player
- 2007 NBA Finals MVP

If Isaiah Thomas, Alex English, Robert Parish, Drazen Petrovic are in there, Parker should get the nod later on. So should Horry, Ginobili, and of course, Duncan.

Findog
04-25-2008, 11:28 PM
- 2007 NBA Finals MVP

If Isaiah Thomas, Alex English, Robert Parish, Drazen Petrovic are in there, Parker should get the nod later on. So should Ginobili, and of course, Duncan.

If Petrovic is the standard, then sure. But he doesn't yet deserve to be mentioned with those other names.

JMarkJohns
04-25-2008, 11:34 PM
What do you mean when you say if Isiah Thomas?

Thomas was a great, great player. He deserved the Hall-of-Fame, no questions asked.

As for the other, I think you're on the right track. Statistically, James Worthy shouldn't be in the HoF, either. His HoF moniter ranking is well below where the standard is.

Elraptor
04-25-2008, 11:34 PM
If he keeps this going, without a doubt.

JMarkJohns
04-25-2008, 11:41 PM
- 2007 NBA Finals MVP

If Isaiah Thomas, Alex English, Robert Parish, Drazen Petrovic are in there, Parker should get the nod later on. So should Horry, Ginobili, and of course, Duncan.

databasebasketball.com's HoF monitor is a statistical analysis with extra points added for All-NBA selections, All-Star selections, Title won and other significant awards (namely DPOY and MVPs).

The standard to get in the Hall is 135. That's the number that most will need to get in.

Thomas: 182
English: 129
Parish: 152
Petrovic: 55* (well, you know)
Worthy: 110

I don't think Thomas really belongs on the discussion. Maybe I'm reading too much into the comment?

phxspurfan
04-25-2008, 11:46 PM
databasebasketball.com's HoF monitor is a statistical analysis with extra points added for All-NBA selections, All-Star selections, Title won and other significant awards (namely DPOY and MVPs).

The standard to get in the Hall is 135. That's the number that most will need to get in.

Thomas: 182
English: 129
Parish: 152
Petrovic: 55* (well, you know)
Worthy: 110

I don't think Thomas really belongs on the discussion. Maybe I'm reading too much into the comment?

Hmm...that is an interesting calculator. I wonder how much more weight is put on NBA accomplishments than those form other sources. It also makes me think about intangibles, like being one of the first notable players from a country that had previously not been so into basketball. I don't disagree with the calculations. But there's more to the Basketball HOF than weighted all-star game appearances and the like.

JMarkJohns
04-25-2008, 11:53 PM
Hmm...that is an interesting calculator. I wonder how much more weight is put on NBA accomplishments than those form other sources. It also makes me think about intangibles, like being one of the first notable players from a country that had previously not been so into basketball. I don't disagree with the calculations. But there's more to the Basketball HOF than weighted all-star game appearances and the like.

The only thing really given more weight in the rank is MVPs won and Title won. After that, it's pretty straight forward statistical computations with a few extra point nods given to All-Stars, All-NBAers and other significant award winners.

Obviously, if you have the stats, you'll be an All-Star. Most potential HoF All-Stars will be named to All-NBA squads. Most All-NBA squaders are in the running for major awards.

So, basically everything is pretty dependant upon NBA statistics, which is why Thomas is so high (played at an incredibly high level for a decade, received several honors and won two Titles) and Petrovic's isn't (was cut down at the beginning of his NBA prime).

Parker really didn't play elsewhere. Not like Manu. And, while important to France, Parker carries no where near the weight of importance that Petrovic did.

I'm not saying this because I don't think highy of Parker. I'm on record as saying that beyond Paul (and a healthy Davis and in-prime Nash), that Parker is the hardest defend among NBA PGs. I think very, very highly of his potential.

I just was completely baffled at Thomas' inclusion in you "if they made it, then" list. That's really my entire reason for posting in this thread.

ECZ
04-26-2008, 12:15 AM
interesting...

urunobili
04-26-2008, 12:16 AM
he will probably have 5 or 6 rings only with the Spurs... so he is a lock for the HOF

phxspurfan
04-26-2008, 12:24 AM
I'd say if his jersey is retired here, he will be in the HOF.

JMarkJohns
04-26-2008, 12:27 AM
I think he's got a decent shot. He'll need to make a few more All-Star teams, if not All-NBA teams before anything looks great, but he's got potential and winning 3-5 Titles will definitely help.

I pretty certain Ginobili is in on his body of work, as it is the BASKETBALL HoF, not just NBA.