PDA

View Full Version : Cowboys trade Ayodele, Fasano to Dolphins for fourth-round pick

dougp
04-26-2008, 12:03 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft08/news/story?id=3368421&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines

MIAMI -- The Dallas Cowboys (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=dal) traded linebacker Akin Ayodele (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=5975) and tight end Anthony Fasano (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=7802) to the Miami Dolphins (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=mia) for a fourth-round draft pick, a person familiar with the deal said Friday.
The person didn't want to be identified because the Dolphins and Cowboys hadn't confirmed the trade. The Dolphins have repeatedly tapped the Dallas pipeline since the arrival of former Cowboys coach Bill Parcells in December to run Miami's football operations.
The draft pick is No. 100 overall Saturday. The Dolphins have eight other picks and will use the No. 1 overall choice to take tackle Jake Long, who has already signed a five-year contract worth $57.75 million, $30 million of it guaranteed.
Ayodele has been a starter for the past five seasons and made 55 tackles last year. His spot with the Cowboys may be filled by Zach Thomas (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=3569), acquired after the Dolphins released him in February.
Fasano, a second-round pick in 2006, has made 14 receptions in each of his first two NFL seasons and is expected to contend for a starting job with the Dolphins.
Miami will still be looking to upgrade in the draft at quarterback, cornerback, defensive end, guard and receiver.
Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

I don't quite understand why you'd trade them for only a 4th rounder? Clearing cap space for some reason?

O-Factor
04-26-2008, 12:10 AM
nice, 1st pick in the 4th round.

fyatuk
04-26-2008, 12:40 AM
Well, both players were highly expendable. Fasano is a decent but not great TE who is pretty much irrelevant since the Cowboys are not going to run 2-tight very often anymore. Ayodele was solid, but no way he was going to stick around with Thomas coming in. You'd think you could get a little more for both of them, but the first second day pick is not a bad pickup for 2 people who weren't frivolous anyway.

Whisky Dog
04-26-2008, 12:55 AM
Basically, they traded these two for Pacman + jumping to the front of the round. Not a bad deal if Pacman pans out, and a great deal if the 4th becomes another Barber-like pick.

Mr. Peabody
04-26-2008, 01:47 AM
This also gives the Cowboys a pick to use to try and move up in the first if a top cornerback/running back falls to 20 or so.

Harry Callahan
04-26-2008, 05:55 AM
I just wanted to thank Bill Parcells for going away before ruining another draft like he did in '06. Bobby Carpenter and Anthony Fausano were the 1st two picks. Awful.

Maybe Carpenter will get on the field this year, but it was clear Parcells was not terribly interested in being the Cowboys coach at the time he made these picks (Jerry had to beg him to coach in '06). He clearly made these picks - the son of a former player of his (the player also had the same agent as Pacells). Then he picks a backup tight end who grew up in New Jersey.

Pissed away an entire draft did Parcells. By the time he got to be coach of the Cowboys, he was washed up and was mediocre at "shopping for the groceries".

I do not miss him at all.

samikeyp
04-26-2008, 08:00 AM
Good move.

sa_butta
04-26-2008, 08:08 AM
I think thats a fair deal, I can live with that.

Mr.Bottomtooth
04-26-2008, 08:58 AM
:tu

yavozerb
04-26-2008, 09:08 AM
I think its a great trade for the dolphins simple cause Fasano will start and ayadole will provide depth at LB...Great job so far Parcells.

BacktoBasics
04-26-2008, 09:15 AM
I liked Fasano. You can't judge this guys impact by receptions. He's a great blocker and tough nosed kid. Akin I could care less about they're stacked there any way but I'm not super hot on having let Fasano go.

If the move was intended as a piece to help move up then I feel better about it.

samikeyp
04-26-2008, 10:21 AM
I think thats a fair deal, I can live with that.

You bought your Jake Long jersey yet? :)

sa_butta
04-26-2008, 10:28 AM
You bought your Jake Long jersey yet? :)
:lol

Not yet, Im getting a Marino throwback for my birthday though.
Im holding of on the Long jersey.

Whisky Dog
04-26-2008, 01:30 PM
I liked Fasano. You can't judge this guys impact by receptions. He's a great blocker and tough nosed kid. Akin I could care less about they're stacked there any way but I'm not super hot on having let Fasano go.

If the move was intended as a piece to help move up then I feel better about it.

I like Fasano but he'd just be relegated to jumbo packages being behind Witten.

leemajors
04-26-2008, 01:53 PM

I remember him more for some of the passes he dropped, but he's not a bad player by any means.

Harry Callahan
04-26-2008, 04:13 PM
Fausano was also an injury issue from the day he was drafted. He had back and shoulder issues.

ClingingMars
04-26-2008, 04:42 PM
both were expendable. I trust that the FO knows what it's doing.

- Mars

BacktoBasics
04-28-2008, 08:44 AM
They traded this pick didn't they? The weekend was a blur

degenerate_gambler
04-28-2008, 09:15 AM
They traded this pick didn't they? The weekend was a blur

It was a blur..

But yeah I believe they sent the Titans a 4th rounder for Pacman and then recouped it with the trade.

BacktoBasics
04-28-2008, 09:25 AM
It was a blur..

But yeah I believe they sent the Titans a 4th rounder for Pacman and then recouped it with the trade.Yes but this recouped pick was also moved....I think.

leemajors
04-28-2008, 09:47 AM
Yes but this recouped pick was also moved....I think.

the DMN blog had a good summary:

The Cowboys started today with this ...

* 2008 Third round pick -- 92nd overall

* 2008 Fourth round pick -- 100th overall (from Miami)

* 2008 Sixth round pick -- 167th overall (from Miami)

They actually used one of those picks -- the 167th overall, which turned out to be Middle Tennessee OLB/DE Erik Walden. The 100th pick was used by Oakland on UConn CB Tyvon Branch. The 92nd pick was used by Detroit to take Purdue DE Cliff Avril.

After the smoke cleared on five trades, this is what the Cowboys came out of the day with ...

* Georgia Tech RB Tashard Choice (122nd overall)

* Boise State CB Orlando Scandrick (143rd overall)

* Middle Tennessee OLB/DE Erik Walden (167th overall)

* 2009 Third-round pick (Browns)

* 2009 Fourth-round pick (Lions)

So overall, you get players drafted in Rounds 4, 5 and 6, plus a 3 and a 4 next year, after coming in with a 3, a 4 and a 6.

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/

BacktoBasics
04-28-2008, 10:03 AM
Great work then. Thats what I call working the system

DBryant88
04-28-2008, 10:51 AM
ayodele was a solid 3 down linbacker, and fasano was a good blocking tghtn end. but Bradie James is a all aorund better linbacker exept for speed and zach thomas has still got some in the tank. Fansano i think will be missed but it will give tony curtis more time to develop into a good tightend because i think he is a prospect.

fyatuk
04-28-2008, 11:30 AM
Yes but this recouped pick was also moved....I think.

This is the one they traded to Oakland for next year's 3rd I believe...

popshark86
04-29-2008, 03:39 PM
cowboys got raped

mardigan
04-29-2008, 09:42 PM
cowboys got raped

yea they did

Evan
04-29-2008, 09:48 PM
How?

dallaskd
04-29-2008, 10:01 PM
Bennett>Fasano

i do wish we drafted maybe someone like mario manningham instead.