PDA

View Full Version : Amare calls TD "The King"

Timmy!
04-26-2008, 09:23 AM
10 paragraphs down..

by Paul Coro - Apr. 25, 2008 10:21 PM
The Arizona Republic

The Suns' spirit and championship hopes are looking about as good as the storage cabinet door on Amaré Stoudemire's locker.

The door was missing, with only a strip of wood around the hinges - roughly the same shred of a chance Phoenix has to survive this first-round series after a 115-99 loss gave San Antonio a 3-0 lead and a viselike grip on the Suns.

Phoenix went all season as the only NBA team to not lose three games in a row. When it mattered most, these three Suns losses have left them waiting for last rites. The visitors in black were dressed more appropriately for the ceremony than the orange crush of Suns fans that was booing by the third quarter.

A Valley swept over with enthusiasm when Shaquille O'Neal arrived in February is on the brink of seeing its Suns swept by the Spurs, who have won five consecutive playoff games against Phoenix. No NBA playoff team has rallied from a 3-0 deficit.

A loss on Sunday - or Tuesday, Thursday or Saturday - would mean Phoenix's third playoff exit to San Antonio in the past four years.

The Suns' theory that it should shut off San Antonio's role players and see whether the Spurs' big three could outscore them is exploding in their faces. Tony Parker handed out 12 assists and scored 41 points, a career-best total in regular season or postseason play, and did it primarily with jumpers after riddling Phoenix with drives in the first two games. Manu Ginobili (20 points) and Tim Duncan (23 points) still scored above their season averages, too.

"It's not working, is it?" Suns guard Steve Nash said. "So we should probably adjust."

The Suns keep making the Spurs look like something more than the NBA's third-lowest-scoring offense of the regular season. With the season essentially on the line, Phoenix could not respond like the other playoff teams facing 2-0 holes have. Instead, they either showed little home-court pride or little defensive ability to give up 61 points in the first half and 56.1 percent shooting for the game. It started innocently enough because the Suns were keeping the Spurs on the perimeter, but Parker hit his first four jump shots and the Spurs scored on their first nine possessions for an 18-8 lead.

The pick-and-roll defense continued to be decimated, isolating Nash, O'Neal and Stoudemire repeatedly for scores. D'Antoni was reaching for anything, even the zone defense he hates to implement.

"Tony Parker was a maniac out there offensively," Stoudemire said. "He was scoring the ball from all different angles. We tried to take out the king (Duncan) but when playing a game of chess, there's always that queen that steps up and hits you from the blind side."

It looked like it could not be any easier for Parker to dice up the Suns in the first two games, when he scored 40 of his 58 points in the paint. But the Spurs point guard, against whom Phoenix once used Shawn Marion to defend, had his best game yet with mainly jumpers and floaters.

Everything that was easy for Parker was hard for Nash, who was hounded by Bruce Bowen.

"It was very frustrating for me to feel out of control," Nash said. "I felt like an outsider most of the night."

Between Parker's scoring deluge and the deflating, rhythm-breaking employment of Hack-a-Shaq, the Suns never found an offensive beat to counter the Spurs.

"That's the best I've seen someone play," Suns coach Mike D'Antoni said.

The Suns trailed 61-47 by halftime and it grew only worse in the second half, when the Spurs used the space Phoenix provided on pick-and-roll defense, zones and switches to knock down shots. Parker, Duncan and Ginobili made 33 of 52 shots (63.5 percent).

Aside from one Leandro Barbosa fourth-quarter flurry that helped cut it to 13, there was about as much chance of Phoenix winning Game 3 as there is with the series now.

"It's going to be hard to bounce back from a 0-3 situation that's highly impossible but we're going to give it a shot," Stoudemire said.

BlackSwordsMan
04-26-2008, 09:24 AM
I think he called Tony a girl.

makedamnsure
04-26-2008, 09:26 AM

hahahaha What an asshole :lol

phyzik
04-26-2008, 09:32 AM

Naaa, I doubt that, I seriously think it was just a reference to chess and nothing more. I am however suprised he knows 2 pieces on a chess board. I would have thought he would use a checkers reference.

MaNuMaNiAc
04-26-2008, 09:35 AM
Naaa, I doubt that, I seriously think it was just a reference to chess and nothing more. I am however suprised he knows 2 pieces on a chess board. I would have thought he would use a checkers reference.

that joke just went right over your head, didn't it? :lol

wildbill2u
04-26-2008, 09:53 AM
A better analogy would've been the Knight which comes at you from crazy angles.

Tony was a speedy "hoss" that wove around and through the befuddled Suns all night.

texbound
04-26-2008, 09:55 AM

And I think he just said that Duncan was slow and needs others to protect him (Just like the :bking King :king in Chess). I hope TD uses this as motivation :toast

BlackSwordsMan
04-26-2008, 09:56 AM
Horry is the rook he'll run straight at you and knock you over

freedom&justice
04-26-2008, 10:00 AM
I guess this is as good a thread as any to say good job, Spurs. I hope you finish 'em off and go on to get another 'ship. Spurs seem to be coming together at the right time (once again). :toast

WildcardManu
04-26-2008, 10:02 AM
Where is Snaq and his big mouth now?

Indazone
04-26-2008, 10:03 AM
If the Suns want any chance of winning one game, yeah that's right just one game, they need Shaq to play Duncan straight up and cover the rest of the Spurs players straight up and then try to take away the middle with their help defense. Otherwise, the Suns are going to get swept. Do I think that'll happen? No I think the Spurs win in 4.

dirk4mvp
04-26-2008, 10:03 AM
I don't think he is smart or clever enough to have meant it like it could be taken.

lurker
04-26-2008, 10:05 AM

:lol

GSH
04-26-2008, 10:06 AM
The image of Amare Stoudamire playing chess - staring at the board with a puzzled look on his face - is priceless. "Now which one of these little guys can slam on the others?"

There's a reason why Amare shines in the wide-open offense the Suns run. He doesn't have to think a whole lot.

I wonder if he's even aware that "queen" is, by definition, female?

diego
04-26-2008, 10:13 AM
tony was player of the game, no doubt, but my favorite sequence was duncan giving amare the facial then rejecting him the next trip down. SCHOOL IS IN SESSION!

dbreiden83080
04-26-2008, 10:13 AM
Suns are emotionally destroyed, all the Spurs need is to have a good first half in game 4 and they will mentally concede to their season being over.

wijayas
04-26-2008, 10:14 AM
Naaa, I doubt that, I seriously think it was just a reference to chess and nothing more. :tuI am however suprised he knows 2 pieces on a chess board. I would have thought he would use a checkers reference.:lmao

T Park
04-26-2008, 10:15 AM
Wow, Amare actually made a good reference.

Although I think its akin to in Tommy Boy when Chris Farley got the butcher's analogy right as well.

PlayoffEx-static
04-26-2008, 10:16 AM
If the Suns want any chance of winning one game, yeah that's right just one game, they need Shaq to play Duncan straight up and cover the rest of the Spurs players straight up and then try to take away the middle with their help defense. Otherwise, the Suns are going to get swept. Do I think that'll happen? No I think the Spurs win in 4.

Uh, they tried that, but that plan falls apart on about the 3rd pick and roll of the 50 that we run at them. They suck badly at defending it. Suns don't really have any kind of help defensive scheme anyway.

1Parker1
04-26-2008, 10:20 AM
:lol And if the Suns had contained the King and Queen, Spurs have 2 rooks waiting on the sidelines who can get going at any point too in Ginobili and Finley.

spursfan09
04-26-2008, 10:24 AM
:lol At first I thought wow how classy he called TD the King. But then he called Tony Parker the Queen. So I don't know....

Dingle Barry
04-26-2008, 10:31 AM
I think Black Jesus meant to say "highly improbable" instead of "impossible". That's rather defeatist.

Timmy!
04-26-2008, 10:33 AM

Although I think its akin to in Tommy Boy when Chris Farley got the butcher's analogy right as well.

D'antoni has been helping Amare study for his GED and teaching some chess on the side.

Amuseddaysleeper
04-26-2008, 10:38 AM
:lol At first I thought wow how classy he called TD the King. But then he called Tony Parker the Queen. So I don't know....

Marc Stein said in his Daily Dime that Amare wasn't trying to insult TP by calling him a "Queen". He just meant he was the second most important piece of the game behind Duncan.

SpurOutofTownFan
04-26-2008, 10:59 AM
the title of this thread is misleading

Solid D
04-26-2008, 11:08 AM
The Suns got pawn3d.

carina_gino20
04-26-2008, 11:18 AM
Tony Parker doesn't like being called a queen. He's going for 50 in game 4. :lol

Man of Steel
04-26-2008, 11:20 AM
http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii174/thereaperess/WARRIORQUEEN.jpg

ATRAIN
04-26-2008, 11:25 AM
There is no way Amare is smart enough to know how to play chess!!

Texas_Ranger
04-26-2008, 11:37 AM
mms://phxsuns.wmod.llnwd.net/a205/o2/rd1gm3_080425.wmv

Here you can see what he said and what other Suns players said.

Whisky Dog
04-26-2008, 11:38 AM
Chess isn't a difficult game to understand or play, but it does require a lot of time and strategy to master.

Do we really think so lowly about women to actually view this reference as a slight? I thought that was just Shaq who though "queen" was an insult.

duncan228
04-26-2008, 11:40 AM
Long live the king. :bking

endrity
04-26-2008, 11:43 AM
There is no way Amare is smart enough to know how to play chess!!

Yeah that was the most impressive part of this thing. Amare knows chess??? He actually knows the pieces???

Gary Kasparov can't believe he is the same group with Amare Stoudemire.

my2sons
04-26-2008, 11:43 AM

Ya, I keep looking for a quote from "THE BIG TRAINWRECK!"

Jayem
04-26-2008, 11:45 AM
http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/919/shaqbearxy8.jpg

ShoogarBear
04-26-2008, 11:46 AM
WTF, Amare thinks they're playing Sacramento?

Spurminator
04-26-2008, 11:50 AM
Sounds like Amare has been watching The Wire.

Pero
04-26-2008, 11:54 AM
"It's going to be hard to bounce back from a 0-3 situation that's highly impossible but we're going to give it a shot," Stoudemire said.

:lol

Timmy!
04-26-2008, 11:58 AM
http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/919/shaqbearxy8.jpg

:lmao WOW....you've got too much time on your hands! Keep em comin!!

BiZNicK
04-26-2008, 12:10 PM
Well if TD is the king...and TP is the queen...(wow that sounds gay..)...then what is Manu???

Amare how dare you reference Parker as a girly man just because he can't dunk...

bdictjames
04-26-2008, 12:29 PM
Funny to think, The King is the most worthless piece in the chessboard.

Strike
04-26-2008, 12:32 PM

Buried in a whopper.

E20
04-26-2008, 12:46 PM
Well, Amare should leave the Suns and come be a pawn for the Spurs.

JamStone
04-26-2008, 12:48 PM
Gregg "Bobby Fischer" Popovich?

edit: Amare knows what chess is? Impressive.

spurastic
04-26-2008, 12:52 PM

I would bet that it's not Amare original thought. He probably heard it said by someone else and thought it sounded smart so he used it.

cherylsteele
04-26-2008, 12:55 PM
It is?....that is point of chess, to trap the king then....checkmate.

bdictjames
04-26-2008, 02:54 PM
It is?....that is point of chess, to trap the king then....checkmate.
I know but its basically worthless.

Duncan is the original queen, while Manu and Parker are queens evolved from pawns. Sorry about the women reference.

No Fischer sucks, Popovich is Kasparov. There is even some similarity in the names.

BonnerDynasty
04-26-2008, 02:59 PM
lmfffaaoo!

one of the fan comments

"Nash couldn't guard Parker with a gun..."

hahaha

statman32
04-26-2008, 10:52 PM
I would bet that it's not Amare original thought. He probably heard it said by someone else and thought it sounded smart so he used it.

Just stfu. Every comment Amare has made this series has shown he has matured. Now lets hope he works on his defense in the off-season and the Suns hire him some help. Every comment he has made lately leads me to believe that he is realizing just how important defense is.

Leetonidas
04-26-2008, 10:53 PM
Tony = Queen?

He was on fire last night...so I guess that makes him a Flaming Queen?

Kori Ellis
04-26-2008, 11:36 PM
http://koriellis.com/tim-king-tony-queen.jpg

m33p0
04-27-2008, 12:06 AM
A Queen maybe more agile and has more ammo is her arsenal. But a King can win or lose a match all by himself.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
04-27-2008, 12:19 AM
King is an enfeebled piece. the King is Horry.

I'd Say Duncan is the queen.

Parker is a bishop

and Manu is a Knight

and Amare's reference is like one of those metaphorical attempts to sound intelligent, but doesn't really make sense when you really think about it. "Try to take out the King and the queen comes at you from the blindside. " I don't think he plays chess.

Elraptor
04-27-2008, 12:23 AM
Last time i checked Lebron was called "The King". Guess not anymore. :D

bdictjames
04-27-2008, 12:27 AM
A Queen maybe more agile and has more ammo is her arsenal. But a King can win or lose a match all by himself.
A King cant win a match all by himself, no.

The King basically does nothing in the game, the other chess pieces stick around and protect it. It moves one square for crap's sake. :lol:

mikekim
04-27-2008, 12:49 AM
A King cant win a match all by himself, no.

The King basically does nothing in the game, the other chess pieces stick around and protect it. It moves one square for crap's sake. :lol:

Seriously...the king is only a little more than a glorified pawn

Stabbin' Cabin
04-27-2008, 12:52 AM
Wait a minute, Parker is the queen now? Manu will have something to say about that...

http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/5272/manustehgheyqx5.gif

bdictjames
04-27-2008, 01:13 AM
Seriously...the king is only a little more than a glorified pawn
Agree, Amare still says something dumb again.