PDA

View Full Version : Sportsnation NBA Chat on ESPN about the Spurs

usckk
01-20-2005, 11:42 AM
This is a ESPN chat with Marc Stein. Here are the ones about the Spurs (I'm suprised there's so many):

1) Ted, Houston: Why havn't I heard anything about the Rocket's going after Nick Van Excel? I mean... the guy lives in Houston & wants to play here + we neeeeeed a pg like him in our system.... what is Carrol Dawson Doing?

STEIN: (11:15 AM ET ) Nick is in the last year of a contract that pays him almost 13 mil. So it'd be tough for any team to trade for him now. Although Nick said recently that he's thinking about retirement, he has also said in the past that he would keep playing if he could sign with a Texas team next season. I expect all three Texas teams to pursue Van Exel in the offseason, when he's a free agent.

2)Troy (San Francisco, CA): Tony Parker's been putting up All-Star like numbers lately: consistently scoring 20+ points, handing out 6 to 10 assists and leading the Spurs to the best record in the league. What are the chances that the coaches (if not the fans) are going to reward his efforts?

STEIN: (11:22 AM ET ) I'd be surprised if San Antonio had any All-Stars besides Duncan.

3)
David Urteago (Chicago, IL): For the past seven years the Spurs have been a perenial contender, and yet for the last seven years the GM of the spurs has never been honored with an executive of the year award. What's with that? Last year all the talk was about the great job that Kevin Mchale did with the Timberwolves, but how much skill does it take to go over the cap by tens of millions of dollars? On the flip side, how much skill does it take to build a championship team while never going over the cap?

STEIN: (11:24 AM ET ) Can't blame the media for this one. The GMs vote on their own award, and typically it's the GMs who make the splashiest moves that win EOY. But RC Buford has indeed been fabulous in San Antonio, continously upgrading the roster around Duncan despite low draft picks and a tight budget. He's considered one of the best even though he hasn't won the EOY trophy yet. If it's any consolation, Jerry West was a GM for a long time before he won one, if I remember right.

4)Patrick (Dallas, TX): So only one All Star? The Kings will likely have two (Peja, Miller, Bibby or Webber), with a much worse record... why no love for SA?

STEIN: (11:26 AM ET ) I also expect the Kings to only have one -- Webber. With the Spurs, is Parker a clear-cut All-Star choice over Manu when the coaches vote? Doubtful.

Rummpd
01-20-2005, 01:34 PM
Parker based on last month deserves to go, carrying Spurs.

MadDoc

T Park
01-20-2005, 01:53 PM
With the Spurs, is Parker a clear-cut All-Star choice over Manu when the coaches vote? Doubtful.

If the coach's have a brain then hell yes.

Tony Parker deserves to be there this year.

Next year could be Ginobili, Duncan, and Parker.

Supergirl
01-20-2005, 02:50 PM
I agree. Parker is the reason the Spurs have taken over the #1 spot. The Spurs record when Parker plays well is SO CLEAR - he is an All Star. With Nash injured, he should be selected by the coaches. But he probably won't.

Sense
01-20-2005, 06:46 PM
You should ask yourselve's has Tim Duncan played Allstar status?

Personally, I think he isn't.

He's playing like Yao Ming!

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-20-2005, 08:23 PM
If I were a coach, I'd be voting for Manu every time. The A-S isn't about stats, it's about who you wanna see play 48 minutes of streetball with fellow NBAers.

For my money I'd be wanting to see the Argentinian Wonder throwing bounce passes off of everything but press row for ridiculous dunks. Vote for Manu!