PDA

View Full Version : Are the Spurs the most hated team in the country?

Amuseddaysleeper
04-26-2008, 10:39 AM
I'm not asking for a pity thread, I'm just asking.

It sure seems that way.

doldrums
04-26-2008, 10:41 AM
If we didn't win, nobody would hate us

wijayas
04-26-2008, 10:41 AM

It sure seems that way.

By the Suns!

wijayas
04-26-2008, 10:42 AM

:toast Just like the Hawks!

JMarkJohns
04-26-2008, 10:43 AM
As much as I hate your team right now, no... At least not for me. Lakers will always have top billing. You're probably #2, though.

GSH
04-26-2008, 10:43 AM
Do you know what you call the most hated team in the country? NBA Champions!

SAGambler
04-26-2008, 10:47 AM

You should title you sig..."getting a shot of beaver during the game".

Obstructed_View
04-26-2008, 11:03 AM
Who cares?

AstroCowboy
04-26-2008, 11:13 AM
I don't think so, I'm sure that vote goes to the LAKERS. They are like they YANKEES & COWBOYS. People really love them, or really hate them.

I think the masses are just jealous of the SPURS success and just want some "new blood" to get a ring etc.

Screw them though, I want a back to back championship to put the explanation point on our dynasty! =)

balli
04-26-2008, 11:19 AM
I don't say this to be offensive, but I say it because you asked the question.
Please don't call me a jealous bitch in response and please don't resort to flaming the Jazz and Hawks.

The answer is yes. Not only are you the most hated team in the country, you are BY FAR the most hated team in the country. I actively root against you. Everyone I know who follows the NBA actively roots against you. I'll often hear the question- who do you want in the finals. The inevitable answer is always two teams followed by, "really, anyone but the Spurs."

We're not jealous. It has nothing to do with your rings other than the fact that people don't like you or your players to begin with and the fact you win championships makes it that much worse. You are just not a likable team. Bill Simmons had a podcast this week where him and Matt Berry were speculating as to why people dislike Kobe so much. Berry basically said that for whatever reason there are just people you look at and right off the bat you either like them, or don't like them. Kobe is a just a guy you don't like. The same goes for your team. Duncan is not likable. His personality and his game bore people. Ginobili is downright hatable- His flopping and unconventional play really gets under opposition skin. Parker is not likable. The way you play is very, very effective, but frankly it isn't very likable. There are very few athletic highlight in Spurs games you know. You just go out and quietly kill people- which is not likable. Your arena and court design are not likable. Your crying about fouls all the time is not likable. Texas as a whole, is not very likable. Basically, people look at you and just don't like you. It sucks for you, but based on the mundane product on the floor, the effecicacy of said product and the often entitled attitude of the team, it shouldn't be very surprising.

I used to root big time for the 90's Jazz teams. Everyone hated us. It's not because they were jealous. In that case they would have hated Chicago. It's because we were a slow, effective, flopping & hard-nosed team from a small, rural market and we had unlikable players. It was effective and beautiful basketball, just like the Spurs of today, but I understand why they hated us. In other words- I don't get why you guys don't understand the same thing about your team?

DazedAndConfused
04-26-2008, 11:23 AM
Nope and it's not even close. You're team isn't even on the radar of hated teams, most fans view the Spurs as a classy organization. This is a good thing.

Nobody on the Spurs has an ego. It's hard to hate a team that is so selfless.

Amare_32
04-26-2008, 11:25 AM
The Lakers have that title on lock.

carina_gino20
04-26-2008, 11:25 AM
Please don't call me a jealous bitch in response and please don't resort to flaming the Jazz and Hawks.

The answer is yes. Not only are you the most hated team in the country, you are BY FAR the most hated team in the country. I actively root against you. Everyone I know who follows the NBA actively roots against you. I'll often hear the question- who do you want in the finals. The inevitable answer is always two teams followed by, "really, anyone but the Spurs."

We're not jealous. It has nothing to do with your rings other than the fact that people don't like you or your players to begin with and the fact you win championships makes it that much worse. You are just not a likable team. Bill Simmons had a podcast this week where him and Matt Berry were speculating as to why people dislike Kobe so much. Berry basically said that for whatever reason there are just people you look at and right off the bat you either like them, or don't like them. Kobe is a just a guy you don't like. The same goes for your team. Duncan is not likable. His personality and his game bore people. Ginobili is downright hatable- His flopping and unconventional play really gets under opposition skin. Parker is not likable. The way you play is very, very effective, but frankly it isn't very likable. There are very few athletic highlight in Spurs games you know. You just go out and quietly kill people- which is not likable. Your arena and court design are not likable. Your crying about fouls all the time is not likable. Texas as a whole, is not very likable. Basically, people look at you and just don't like you. It sucks for you, but based on the mundane product on the floor, the effecicacy of said product and the often entitled attitude of the team, it shouldn't be very surprising.

Thanks. You made me laugh so hard. :lol

Obstructed_View
04-26-2008, 11:26 AM
The answer is yes. Not only are you the most hated team in my house, you are BY FAR the most hated team in my house.

:lol:lol

You don't even hate them enough to actually watch them and form your own opinions. That you hate them enough to bother signing up for a Spurs message board when you are so ignorant of them is almost surprising.

carina_gino20
"Detestation of the high is the involuntary homage of the low."

Sportman
In the part of canada i live in, i can DEFINITELY tell you, THEY ARE!!!!!

DazedAndConfused
04-26-2008, 11:30 AM
What is their to hate about SAS outside of Bruce Bowen?

Parker, Ginobli, and Duncan are the most ego-less superstars the league has.

michaelwcho
04-26-2008, 11:31 AM
That part about Kobe was true... I think I dislike him primarily because of something about his face, his expression. Nothing concrete.

It may be useful to draw a comparison between our Spurs and the old Jazz. Tough, fundamental, successful. Although, to me Parker and Ginobili are two of the flashiest, most entertaining players around.

peskypesky
04-26-2008, 11:32 AM
What is their to hate about SAS outside of Bruce Bowen?

Parker, Ginobli, and Duncan are the most ego-less superstars the league has.

:toast

Nice to hear something classy coming from a fan of the Lakers. I'm sure that'll change when we beat you in a few weeks.

balli
04-26-2008, 11:34 AM
:lol:lol

You don't even hate them enough to actually watch them and form your own opinions. That you hate them enough to bother signing up for a Spurs message board when you are so ignorant of them is almost surprising.

First off. I've been through this before. Don't be the guy that resorts to, well you signed up for a Spurs board. I've watched them play thousands of games by the way. Y'know what. Fuck you man. I took the time to come up with a reasonable and I thought inoffensive post that answered the original question in the thread. If you don't like it fine. Tell me what you disagree about, but don't resort to calling me ignorant of them and bashing me for signing up for this board. You're a fucking asshole.

Tippecanoe
04-26-2008, 11:35 AM
dude. the yankees. /end discussion

balli
04-26-2008, 11:39 AM
Although, to me Parker and Ginobili are two of the flashiest, most entertaining players around.

Parker, I just don't like. I think his success is predicated by Duncan and Ginobili. I don't like many pg's from a basketball standpoint really. I grew up with Stockton so basically It's paul, Deron and Nash for me. Besides that, it's Eva, it's his gay little rap videos, it's his french heritage, it's his cocky little sneer. I just don't like him.

Ginobili is a very, very exciting player. He does it though by taking huge steps and making weird shots that absolutely decimate other teams. You watch a guy flop on one end and then consistently nail some crazy ass prayer shots at the other end and you are just not going to like him. The unconventionality of his game in other words is just deflating to the opposition. It sucks getting beat by someone so untraditionally crazy. Plus, his bald patch is disgusting.

PlayoffEx-static
04-26-2008, 11:42 AM
I used to root big time for the 90's Jazz teams. Everyone hated us.
Newsflash: people STILL hate the Jazz. The target on your backs just isn't as big because you have no LOB trophies. If you were consistently knocking of the league and media faves, you'd be blasted in the press, too.

Spurminator
04-26-2008, 11:44 AM
It sucks for you

Good post but I disagree with the above. I really don't think my Spurs fan experience would be any better if basketball fans and the media loved us like the 90's Bulls. In fact, there are aspects of that scenario that would really annoy me... 70% of our fanbase would be bandwagon hoppers who think Spurs History began in the mid 00's.

Screw that, I'd rather have the nation actively rooting against us. I like the idea of Spurs haters having to watch something else in June because they can't stand to watch the Spurs in the Finals. What do I care about ratings? And do you know how awesome it was to see Dan Patrick have to be on the podium with the Spurs after he had thrown such a temper tantrum with David Stern on his show over the Suns suspensions? I loved it.

For the most part, I think the Spurs are very respected. As long as that's the case, I don't care who likes them.

balli
04-26-2008, 11:45 AM
Newsflash: people STILL hate the Jazz. The target on your backs just isn't as big because you have no LOB trophies. If you were consistently knocking of the league and media faves, you'd be blasted in the press, too.

And I'd be okay with that. Like I said, I understand why. We're a hard-nosed team from a small, rural market, with an ugly court and (in some cases) very unlikable players. Is there a Spurs fan willing to say the same about their team?

Obstructed_View
04-26-2008, 11:47 AM
First off. I've been through this before.
I'm not the first person to notice what an ignoramus you are? What a fucking surprise.

Don't be the guy that resorts to, well you signed up for a Spurs board.
I didn't. I said that I'm surprised that you bothered to sign up for a Spurs board when you clearly know so little about the team that you offer up the same BS that everyone else that doesn't watch the Spurs talks about.

I've watched them play thousands of games by the way.

"very few athletic highlight"
"crying about fouls all the time"
"entitled attitude of the team"
Yeah, thousands of games on ESPN maybe. :lol

Y'know what. Fuck you man. I took the time to come up with a reasonable and I thought inoffensive post that answered the original question in the thread. If you don't like it fine. Tell me what you disagree about, but don't resort to calling me ignorant of them and bashing me for signing up for this board. You're a fucking asshole.

Couldn't find the crying smiley.

:dramaquee:loser:baby

balli
04-26-2008, 11:47 AM
Screw that, I'd rather have the nation actively rooting against us. I like the idea of Spurs haters having to watch something else in June because they can't stand to watch the Spurs in the Finals. What do I care about ratings? And do you know how awesome it was to see Dan Patrick have to be on the podium with the Spurs after he had thrown such a temper tantrum with David Stern on his show over the Suns suspensions? I loved it.

For the most part, I think the Spurs are very respected. As long as that's the case, I don't care who likes them.

And that's really the point. You are respected. Likability should be the least of your concerns. I hate your team, but damn I do respect the hell out of them. If anything, like you said, unlikability should be a motivating factor so you can keep shoving your product down me and everyone elses throats. I'd love it if my team could do that.

trueD
04-26-2008, 11:48 AM
It's hard to imagine WHY the Spurs would be the most hated team unless one is viewing the ballclub purely from the standpoint of jealousy. Which is why the Jazz fan's thoughts should be considered the "low" that you cross out. My thoughts are likely the "high"--just a warning. ;)

Spurs are consistant and very nearly always rise to the occassion post-season. That is what a solid team is supposed to do. Forget that Duncan plays boring technical b-ball, he gets the job done. And now players around him have risen to the point that Duncan can take some plays off. From a practical standpoint, that is a good thing.

Dependability, durability and cohesion are key if a team wants to win more than one championship (with most of the same players). Spurs fit that bill. Dependability may seem boring on it's face, but it gets the job done!

I heard that Bowen went scoreless during the first two games. How often can a starter go scoreless for the first two games post-season and continue to receive respect and awe from other teams? You don't even notice that Bowen doesn't score because he's so very valuable at the other end.

Spurs fans are knowledgable and classy, for the most part. Tim and Kori have expanded this forum for b-ball lovers of ALL teams, which says a lot for their sportsmanship. And they emulate the Spurs fan, I believe.

The small-market Spurs ARE likeable and, although I root against at times, they are the most deserving champs I've seen in my short existance as a b-ball fanatic.

SpursIndonesia
04-26-2008, 11:48 AM

I used to root big time for the 90's Jazz teams. Everyone hated us. It's not because they were jealous. In that case they would have hated Chicago. It's because we were a slow, effective, flopping & hard-nosed team from a small, rural market and we had unlikable players. It was effective and beautiful basketball, just like the Spurs of today, but I understand why they hated us. In other words- I don't get why you guys don't understand the same thing about your team?

Blah, blah, blah, the Spurs game is not black & gangsta enough for the masses, i get it. :blah

balli
04-26-2008, 11:49 AM
I'm not the first person to notice what an ignoramus you are? What a fucking surprise.

I didn't. I said that I'm surprised that you bothered to sign up for a Spurs board when you clearly know so little about the team that you offer up the same BS that everyone else that doesn't watch the Spurs talks about.

"very few athletic highlight"
"crying about fouls all the time"
"entitled attitude of the team"
Yeah, thousands of games on ESPN maybe. :lol

Couldn't find the crying smiley.

:dramaquee:loser:baby

Douche. Don't be a fuck. If you want to engage in the reasoned debate that's going on, fine. If you just want to rag on me with absolutely no idea who or what you're talking about, do it in a PM.

PlayoffEx-static
04-26-2008, 11:50 AM
And I'd be okay with that. Like I said, I understand why. We're a hard-nosed team from a small, rural market, with an ugly court and (in some cases) very unlikable players. Is there a Spurs fan willing to say the same about their team?

Add to that that we constantly fuck up the league and media projections and wishes by winning, and I'm down with that.

It used to disturb me, but now I revel in it. Fuck 'em. I enjoyed watching the talking heads squirm when we made yet another Finals last year. They basically had to introduce the team to the casual fan, since they had spent the previous three rounds of the playoffs trashing us nationally.

carina_gino20
04-26-2008, 11:56 AM

It sucks to be you then, to root for a team you think is unlikable. I don't think you will find a Spurs fan willing to say that we have an unlikable team, because I think all of us genuinely like them. They're not the most marketable guys and the national media does enough to make viewers not like the Spurs, so I would think that those who call themselves Spurs fans, really see that there is something special in these guys. And it's not just because of loyalty to the city, because a lot of us here in this board are not from San Antonio, or even from the US.

balli
04-26-2008, 11:59 AM
It's hard to imagine WHY the Spurs would be the most hated team unless one is viewing the ballclub purely from the standpoint of jealousy. Which is why the Jazz fan's thoughts should be considered the "low" that you cross out. My thoughts are likely the "high"--just a warning. ;)

Spurs are consistant and very nearly always rise to the occassion post-season. That is what a solid team is supposed to do. Forget that Duncan plays boring technical b-ball, he gets the job done. And now players around him have risen to the point that Duncan can take some plays off. From a practical standpoint, that is a good thing.

Dependability, durability and cohesion are key if a team wants to win more than one championship (with most of the same players). Spurs fit that bill. Dependability may seem boring on it's face, but it gets the job done!

I heard that Bowen went scoreless during the first two games. How often can a starter go scoreless for the first two games post-season and continue to receive respect and awe from other teams? You don't even notice that Bowen doesn't score because he's so very valuable at the other end.

Spurs fans are knowledgable and classy, for the most part. Tim and Kori have expanded this forum for b-ball lovers of ALL teams, which says a lot for their sportsmanship. And they emulate the Spurs fan, I believe.

The small-market Spurs ARE likeable and, although I root against at times, they are the most deserving champs I've seen in my short existance as a b-ball fanatic.

Your blending likability with technicality and dependibility. Frankly, being a highly technical and dependable team is a great thing for you guys and I'd imagine to a lot of people that leads to liking them. If they were my team I'd not only like them for it, I'd love them for it. Like I said, it certainly is respectable anyway. However, you can't really blame me for wanting to see maybe a less dependable, less technical but more exciting, more risk-taking team instead. I mean, I'm sorry I like to watch alley-oops and guys like Kobe make their hands into guns and blow away the smoke. I'm sorry I like to see KG and Cassell beat the shit out of Rondo because they're so excited he scored. I'm sorry I like loud crowds in big, traditional NBA markets. If I could pattern the Jazz after anyone, it would be the Spurs, just like you were patterned after our 90's teams, but when it comes to teams out of market, I'm sorry, but all that other shit appeals to me.

BiZNicK
04-26-2008, 12:02 PM
I don't think lottery team fans hate us...

Just playoff contender fans...because they know if the Spurs are still in it, they're chances at a ring drop 75%

balli
04-26-2008, 12:03 PM
It sucks to be you then, to root for a team you think is unlikable. I don't think you will find a Spurs fan willing to say that we have an unlikable team, because I think all of us genuinely like them. They're not the most marketable guys and the national media does enough to make viewers not like the Spurs, so I would think that those who call themselves Spurs fans, really see that there is something special in these guys. And it's not just because of loyalty to the city, because a lot of us here in this board are not from San Antonio, or even from the US.

I don't dislike the Jazz, but I understand why other people would. Likewise, I'm not asking for a Spurs fan to say that they don't like the team they root for. I'm asking for Spurs fans to understand why OTHER people don't like them.

Obstructed_View
04-26-2008, 12:04 PM
Douche. Don't be a fuck. If you want to engage in the reasoned debate that's going on, fine. If you just want to rag on me with absolutely no idea who or what you're talking about, do it in a PM.

Only someone as stupid as you would think that "Texas as a whole, is not very likable" somehow amounts to "reasoned debate". If you're too much of a fucking pussy to take criticism that you so clearly deserve, then you shouldn't be hanging around on a message board.

I'm really glad that you blindly hate the Spurs, but don't act like there's a basketball reason for it. I might respect you if you were man enough to say "I'm a Jazz fan and I hate the Spurs no matter what they do". Alas you aren't.

CubanMustGo
04-26-2008, 12:05 PM
Spurs are the most ignored 'ship team in the country. Ignorance != hate.

Strike
04-26-2008, 12:08 PM
People are hypocrites and completely full of shit. People bitch about wanting "role models" for their kids, classy, selfless players that win the right way, no egos, no thugs, no criminals, no drug abusers, no rapists, the list goes on and on.

Enter the Spurs.

1 through 12 (Damon Stoudamire excluded based on past transgressions), a team that is selfless, puts team first, wins championships, gives back to their communities, niether has nor entertains the idea of employing criminals and/or thugs (once again, Damon Stoudamire excluded even though it seems his bad days are behind him).

The team that fans have been clamoring for exists. And people nitpick and whine about flopping, supposed "dirty" play, whining, etc. You're all hypocrites. Every single last god damn one of you.

What is not to like about Tim Duncan? He's a laid back, fun loving guy who inspires those around him and makes his teammates better. How many players take less money and employ the notion of team loyalty? Ask his teammates what kind of person he is. Nary a negative thing to say about him.

What is everyone's problem with Tony Parker? Is it that he's married to a celebrity? Is it that he's French? What is it? I don't understand it. He's not an egomaniac, he's not a criminal or a blowhard, he's not any of the things that people bitch about when it comes to the typical asshole athlete. He plays hard, respects his teammates and opponents, and is possibly the best point guard, pound for pound, in the league.

Ok, I understand people's disdain for Manu Ginobili. He's a flopper. I, as a die-hard Spurs fan admit it. He's also a balls-out player who isn't afraid to put his body on the line. People respect that about Allen Iverson but turn a blind eye to the cornrows, tattoos, and the scrapes with the law.

Bruce Bowen. Just the name brings some people's blood to a boil. Every day it's "Bruce is dirty! Bruce is dirty!" You know who was dirty? Bill Laimbeer. How many people recognize that name? Not only was he a dirty player, he reveled in it. He didn't try to hide the fact that he was a complete asshole on the court. Many of the things that Bruce Bowen does can be construed as dirty. But guess what? When you specialize in playing hard, physical defense, shit happens. The occaisional player sprains an ankle or gets kicked in the grill or junk. I'm not defending it. I'm just saying that shit happens. Many of the best defenders in the history of the game have been called dirty. But how many people out there hear about his work ethic? Or his devotion to his family? Or the volunteer work he does? How many times has he thrown a punch or clotheslined another player?

People can say whatever they want. I think it all boils down to envy and/or jealousy. Other fans want what us Spurs fans have. We have a team that not only plays its guts out, but also wins consistently AND remembers that without fans, a team can't flourish.

I couldn't care less about what most people say about my team, about my beloved Spurs. I've been proud to be a Spurs fan since 1987, through the 20 win seasons and championship celebrations. From the Admiral to the Big Fundamental. From the Hemisfair Arena to the AT&T Center.

And no, the Spurs are NOT the most hated team in the country. Definitely not the most revered, but not the most hated, either.

balli
04-26-2008, 12:09 PM
Only someone as stupid as you would think that "Texas as a whole, is not very likable" somehow amounts to "reasoned debate". If you're too much of a fucking pussy to take criticism that you so clearly deserve, then you shouldn't be hanging around on a message board.

I'm really glad that you blindly hate the Spurs, but don't act like there's a basketball reason for it. I might respect you if you were man enough to say "I'm a Jazz fan and I hate the Spurs no matter what they do". Alas you aren't.

Fuck off. You fucking douche. Quit taking my shit (8 words out of hundreds) out of context while bashing me for it and anything alse you can think of. I've said a lot of good things about the Spurs in this thread. And I've said a lot about the way they play the game of basketball. I've said a lot about my level of respect for the way they play. If you didn't like my answer then you shouldn't have opened a thread about whether or not people hate the spurs. Everyone else in this thread has managed to stay chill and reasonable about it except for your dumb ass. Just shut your fucking mouth already you fucking cocksucker.

gospursgojas
04-26-2008, 12:10 PM
Simple answer is:

Those who know basketball don't hate the Spurs. They might root against them but know that there is nothing to hate.

Those who don't know basketball, hate the Spurs and resort to coming up with silly reasons to do so.

mowgli
04-26-2008, 12:12 PM
If they aren't already, the Patriots should be the most hated team in America.

As for the Spurs, I don't think they're hated, but they have unfortunately been stereotyped as boring by the mediots. So, anytime anyone brings up the Spurs, there is almost a reflexive groaning by the masses.

The Spurs are NOT boring. We have three superstars that play their hearts out up-and-down the court and can play any type of basketball with any team. They make tough shots with great style. Like I said, it's unfortunate that we're stereotyped as plodders. As Spurs fans, we need to stop complaining about other fans complaining about our team. We're awesome, and it's sad that too many others are brainwashed into not looking past the ESPN label.

balli
04-26-2008, 12:13 PM
People can say whatever they want. I think it all boils down to envy and/or jealousy. Other fans want what us Spurs fans have. We have a team that not only plays its guts out, but also wins consistently AND remembers that without fans, a team can't flourish.

Why didn't people hate the Jordan Bulls then? I didn't and I root for Utah for christsakes. The only way in which we're jealous is this: We didn't like you to begin with and the fact you win rings makes it that much worse. Your success extrapolates the hatred for you, no question, but damned if it's the root reason or cause for it.

balli
04-26-2008, 12:14 PM
If they aren't already, the Patriots should be the most hated team in America.

As for the Spurs, I don't think they're hated, but they have unfortunately been stereotyped as boring by the mediots. So, anytime anyone brings up the Spurs, there is almost a reflexive groaning by the masses.

The Spurs are NOT boring. We have three superstars that play their hearts out up-and-down the court and can play any type of basketball with any team. They make tough shots with great style. Like I said, it's unfortunate that we're stereotyped as plodders. As Spurs fans, we need to stop complaining about other fans complaining about our team. We're awesome, and it's sad that too many others are brainwashed into not looking past the ESPN label.

I don't think you're plodders. I think you're unathletic and emotionless.

Capt Bringdown
04-26-2008, 12:15 PM
In the US at least, I don't think many people outside of Bexar county want to see them win again.

HarlemHeat37
04-26-2008, 12:26 PM
like mowgli said, the Patriots are easily #1 in sports..they win and they got caught cheating..

hating the Spurs is simple..

we live in an era of flash..this is what happened post-Jordan..to be respected by the casual fan, you have to dunk entertain..now all of us do find the Spurs entertaining, but the problem with our team is that WE WIN..Tim Duncan is the most "boring" star ever, but nobody had a problem with him when the Lakers were winning..Duncan started gaining the haters in 2003 and has been ever since..the problem is that he plays the game the correct way, he wins AND he plays for a small-market team..if Tim played for the Lakers, he'd be the most loved player in the world..

Ginobili and Parker are surely entertaining..but they play for the Spurs..and since we win and the team is from a small market, EVERYTHING is magnified..Manu and Parker "flop" around and get hated on it more then anybody else(especially Manu), DESPITE every team in the NBA having multiple floppers, and there are a good amount that flop more than Manu IMO..but he plays for the Spurs, so it's magnified..

Bruce Bowen..more than half of his "dirty" plays wouldn't have been anything if he played for another team, but since he does, everything is magnified..everything he does is considered dirty..

they hate on us for doing the "hack-a-Shaq", despite many teams doing it over the years..

it's simple..WINNING creates haters, especially with our fundamentally sound basketball and small market..let them hate..

Strike
04-26-2008, 12:26 PM
Why didn't people hate the Jordan Bulls then? I didn't and I root for Utah for christsakes. The only way in which we're jealous is this: We didn't like you to begin with and the fact you win rings makes it that much worse. Your success extrapolates the hatred for you, no question, but damned if it's the root reason or cause for it.

One thing I forgot to mention in my long, boring diatribe:

The Spurs aren't a flashy, chest thumping, "look at me!!!" team. People are basically fickle and like to look at the pretty lights. The Spurs don't have pretty lights. I'll admit that the Spurs aren't every person's brand of vodka and I don't expect the county to love them. But to hate them because they're not the belle of the ball? And to hate them more because they win? Sorry, but to me that sounds retarded and closed minded.

You know what? I take that sorry back. I'm not sorry for calling the average, simple minded sports fan retarded.

And by the way, it's hard to take anything you say seriously when you try to debate, then call people "douche" or "fucking asshole".

And another "by the way", people DID hate the 90's bulls. Maybe not as many, but there were PLENTY of people who hated Jordan and the Bulls. Jordan was easier to market because he appealed to the fickle fan who stares at the pretty lights and says "ooooh, ahhhhh". Being a Spurs fan requires more thought than other teams. And in this day and age, people don't want to think. They want to be mesmerized.

ShoogarBear
04-26-2008, 12:30 PM
People's hate for the Spurs is inversely proportional to their understanding of the game.

Beast
04-26-2008, 12:31 PM

x4!!!!!!!

manubili
04-26-2008, 12:36 PM
I don't dislike the Jazz, but I understand why other people would. Likewise, I'm not asking for a Spurs fan to say that they don't like the team they root for. I'm asking for Spurs fans to understand why OTHER people don't like them.

Great posts, ballijuana. A lot of people surely hate the spurs for the same reasons as you. But I think there are other reasons to choose from: too many international players, too many rings, etc.

Also, many people is blinded by their hate or dislike, and wont give the spurs the props they deserve. It may annoy me once in a while, but then i remember :lobt::lobt::lobt::lobt: And smile.

Jimcs50
04-26-2008, 12:37 PM
The Spurs are not even the most hated team in Phoenix right now.

The Suns are.

:)

balli
04-26-2008, 12:39 PM
People's hate for the Spurs is inversely proportional to their understanding of the game.

That's so wrong. I know as much as anyone here about basketball. Likewise, I've watched as much or more NBA ball than anyone here. For anyone to say that I don't know basketball solely because I dislike the Spurs is brainless. I'm not obligated to like the Spurs. I might be obligated to respect them. But knowing a lot about the game doesn't make me obligated to like them.

Jimcs50
04-26-2008, 12:39 PM

I hated Jordan and the Bulls

spurastic
04-26-2008, 12:40 PM
People are hypocrites and completely full of shit. People bitch about wanting "role models" for their kids, classy, selfless players that win the right way, no egos, no thugs, no criminals, no drug abusers, no rapists, the list goes on and on.

Enter the Spurs.

1 through 12 (Damon Stoudamire excluded based on past transgressions), a team that is selfless, puts team first, wins championships, gives back to their communities, niether has nor entertains the idea of employing criminals and/or thugs (once again, Damon Stoudamire excluded even though it seems his bad days are behind him).

The team that fans have been clamoring for exists. And people nitpick and whine about flopping, supposed "dirty" play, whining, etc. You're all hypocrites. Every single last god damn one of you.

What is not to like about Tim Duncan? He's a laid back, fun loving guy who inspires those around him and makes his teammates better. How many players take less money and employ the notion of team loyalty? Ask his teammates what kind of person he is. Nary a negative thing to say about him.

What is everyone's problem with Tony Parker? Is it that he's married to a celebrity? Is it that he's French? What is it? I don't understand it. He's not an egomaniac, he's not a criminal or a blowhard, he's not any of the things that people bitch about when it comes to the typical asshole athlete. He plays hard, respects his teammates and opponents, and is possibly the best point guard, pound for pound, in the league.

Ok, I understand people's disdain for Manu Ginobili. He's a flopper. I, as a die-hard Spurs fan admit it. He's also a balls-out player who isn't afraid to put his body on the line. People respect that about Allen Iverson but turn a blind eye to the cornrows, tattoos, and the scrapes with the law.

Bruce Bowen. Just the name brings some people's blood to a boil. Every day it's "Bruce is dirty! Bruce is dirty!" You know who was dirty? Bill Laimbeer. How many people recognize that name? Not only was he a dirty player, he reveled in it. He didn't try to hide the fact that he was a complete asshole on the court. Many of the things that Bruce Bowen does can be construed as dirty. But guess what? When you specialize in playing hard, physical defense, shit happens. The occaisional player sprains an ankle or gets kicked in the grill or junk. I'm not defending it. I'm just saying that shit happens. Many of the best defenders in the history of the game have been called dirty. But how many people out there hear about his work ethic? Or his devotion to his family? Or the volunteer work he does? How many times has he thrown a punch or clotheslined another player?

I couldn't care less about what most people say about my team, about my beloved Spurs. I've been proud to be a Spurs fan since 1987, through the 20 win seasons and championship celebrations. From the Admiral to the Big Fundamental. From the Hemisfair Arena to the AT&T Center.

And no, the Spurs are NOT the most hated team in the country. Definitely not the most revered, but not the most hated, either.

:toast Good post!!! But Manu is not the flopper he once was. He actually gets hit more than he gets calls IMHO.

balli
04-26-2008, 12:41 PM
It may annoy me once in a while, but then i remember :lobt::lobt::lobt::lobt: And smile.

As you should. You really do have a great thing going. And, for the record, I think you add another this year.

Strike
04-26-2008, 12:41 PM
:toast Good post!!! But Manu is not the flopper he once was. He actually gets hit more than he gets calls IMHO.

Like I said, he puts his body on the line, night in and night out.

ShoogarBear
04-26-2008, 12:45 PM
That's so wrong. I know as much as anyone here about basketball. Likewise, I've watched as much or more NBA ball than anyone here. For anyone to say that I don't know basketball solely because I dislike the Spurs is brainless. I'm not obligated to like the Spurs. I might be obligated to respect them. But knowing a lot about the game doesn't make me obligated to like them.

The rule doesn't apply to people who historically didn't like the Spurs prior to the current era. For example, I'm always going to hate the Celtics, no matter how good or bad they are.

But anyone who hates the Spurs because they're boring, but thinks this year's Celtics are exciting is a moron.

m33p0
04-26-2008, 12:49 PM
in the state of arizona, you betcha.

balli
04-26-2008, 12:53 PM
The rule doesn't apply to people who historically didn't like the Spurs prior to the current era. For example, I'm always going to hate the Celtics, no matter how good or bad they are.

But anyone who hates the Spurs because they're boring, but thinks this year's Celtics are exciting is a moron.

The Celts are boring as all hell, but at least they're new and at least KG is capable of making a facial expression from time to time. And from a non-b-ball standpoint Cassell does help bring a little fire. But no, I didn't watch the Celtics play all that much this year. As if I could even put up with Tommy Heinsohn anyway.

And for the record, I've disliked Tim Duncan longer than 90% of Spurs fans have even known who he was.

Just Joe
04-26-2008, 01:10 PM
Here's the problem. ESPN doesn't like the Spurs, for whatever reason. Every moron they put on that network sucked the Suns off up until game 3 was over. Now that game 3 is over, is anyone sucking the Spurs off on that network? No. Their experts have gone strangely silent. Since most of the mindless masses of casual fans get their opinions from ESPN, then these people believe whatever ESPN says.

ESPN used to hide the bias a little better, but it is so obvious now that they love every Boston based team that it's pathetic. They hate the Yankee's and the Spurs, for whatever reason. Now, the mindless casual fans all hate the Yankees and Spurs.

trueD
04-26-2008, 01:13 PM
Your blending likability with technicality and dependibility. Frankly, being a highly technical and dependable team is a great thing for you guys and I'd imagine to a lot of people that leads to liking them. If they were my team I'd not only like them for it, I'd love them for it. Like I said, it certainly is respectable anyway. However, you can't really blame me for wanting to see maybe a less dependable, less technical but more exciting, more risk-taking team instead. I mean, I'm sorry I like to watch alley-oops and guys like Kobe make their hands into guns and blow away the smoke. I'm sorry I like to see KG and Cassell beat the shit out of Rondo because they're so excited he scored. I'm sorry I like loud crowds in big, traditional NBA markets. If I could pattern the Jazz after anyone, it would be the Spurs, just like you were patterned after our 90's teams, but when it comes to teams out of market, I'm sorry, but all that other shit appeals to me.

That's cool, viva la diferance, Baby. There's still 28 other teams out there to watch and fortunately you're in the middle of the PO's and can watch the best of the best battle on a daily basis.

It's just, consistantly being a winner must be awesome. :king

703 Spurz
04-26-2008, 01:13 PM

It sure seems that way.

Hated by who?

BonnerDynasty
04-26-2008, 01:14 PM
I get the sense that we are not hated, juts ignored.

jaffies
04-26-2008, 01:33 PM
If I were an ant....I'd hate people who squished me year in and year out. Especially when no one warned me about em.

WalterBenitez
04-26-2008, 01:36 PM

May I call you ... :lol

Strike
04-26-2008, 01:45 PM
People only hate you win your winning titles. As a Laker fan I've learned to embrace that hate. It actually feels good to know there are people out there that wish your team was losers like their team...lol. My best friend is a Laker hater and for the life of me I cant figure out why... he was born and raised in LA. Any team that he thinks can beat the Lakers is his favorite team. He's was a Suns fan up until last night. I guess he will be Spurs fan today. Anyways enjoy it while you have it:toast

It used to bother me that people disrespected and/or hated the Spurs. Now I like it. Just the fact that someone wastes their time hating the team I love is satisfying to me. It means their spending time and energy that could be used constructively on something essentially meaningless.

I try not to waste time hating other teams. Just seems like a colossal waste of time.

balli
04-26-2008, 01:47 PM
I try not to waste time hating other teams. Just seems like a colossal waste of time.

That's because you are a Spurs fan, not an NBA fan.

Strike
04-26-2008, 01:53 PM
That's because you are a Spurs fan, not an NBA fan.

Are the Spurs not an NBA team? Actually the NBA is my favorite pro league. I follow basketball more than any other sport.

There are a handful of teams I don't like. Utah, Phoenix, Lakers, Dallas and Cleveland.

Not to say I don't spend time rooting against the teams I dislike. I just don't spend large amounts of time doing so. And I certainly don't waste time on other teams' message boards bitching about why I don't like them.

balli
04-26-2008, 01:59 PM
And I certainly don't waste time on other teams' message boards bitching about why I don't like them.

Get over it. This is a great board with a lot of knowledgable people. I'm here for that. If there was a Jazz board that wasn't full of a bunch of idiotic mormons I'd post there, but there isn't. And I don't spend much time at all "bitching" about other peoples' teams. If you didn't notice what this thread title and subject was beofore now, maybe you should take a look.

PlayoffEx-static
04-26-2008, 02:08 PM
Here's the problem. ESPN doesn't like the Spurs, for whatever reason. Every moron they put on that network sucked the Suns off up until game 3 was over. Now that game 3 is over, is anyone sucking the Spurs off on that network? No. Their experts have gone strangely silent. Since most of the mindless masses of casual fans get their opinions from ESPN, then these people believe whatever ESPN says.

ESPN used to hide the bias a little better, but it is so obvious now that they love every Boston based team that it's pathetic. They hate the Yankee's and the Spurs, for whatever reason. Now, the mindless casual fans all hate the Yankees and Spurs.

I have to agree with this, and it also ties into why people didn't hate Jordan and the Bulls, many people anyways. Jordan loved the spotlight, so the networks loved him. He always had a quote and a smile and projected the now known to be false All American image. He really didn't get attacked until WAY late in the game when he was no longer on top. Tim doesn't love the spotlight, and his interviews are probably the minimum that he can do without getting fined. The media sees this as an affront to themselves, so we're "the boring bad guys". Tim is just intensely private. People at large in SA didn't even know his second child was a boy for MONTHS after his birth. I'm sure the media thinks they have some sort of right to know this, and Tim would disagree.

I also think history will be a lot kinder to this team than the present media dolts.

Sense
04-26-2008, 02:14 PM
Who gives a shit if everyone hates the Spurs... just as long as they respect them.

Strike
04-26-2008, 02:18 PM
Who gives a shit if everyone hates the Spurs... just as long as they respect them.

I don't even care if people don't respect them anymore. A person that can't muster up respect for winning just shows their lack of character.

balli
04-26-2008, 02:21 PM
I don't even care if people don't respect them anymore. A person that can't muster up respect for winning just shows their lack of character.

So you do care then?

SpursIndonesia
04-26-2008, 02:33 PM
I have to agree with this, and it also ties into why people didn't hate Jordan and the Bulls, many people anyways. Jordan loved the spotlight, so the networks loved him. He always had a quote and a smile and projected the now known to be false All American image. He really didn't get attacked until WAY late in the game when he was no longer on top. Tim doesn't love the spotlight, and his interviews are probably the minimum that he can do without getting fined. The media sees this as an affront to themselves, so we're "the boring bad guys". Tim is just intensely private. People at large in SA didn't even know his second child was a boy for MONTHS after his birth. I'm sure the media thinks they have some sort of right to know this, and Tim would disagree.

I also think history will be a lot kinder to this team than the present media dolts.

I see your point, basically the way the Spurs conduct their bussiness, it's like flipping their midfinger to the media, so they decide to screw us back by describing us unjustfully as a boring team, and most casual fans follow these presumption. :bang

Strike
04-26-2008, 02:35 PM
So you do care then?

What part of "I don't even care" led you to believe I do?

davemaniscool
04-26-2008, 02:37 PM
- Classy team
- Selfless team
- No trash talking by any of the players on the court
- No trash talking to the press about the other team (by the coach or team)
- No late night meetings with the police
- No drug issues
- They play both sides of the ball
- Tough defense where a player (Bowen) actually gets in your grill and moves his feet
- Exciting team that exhibited killer offense as shown last night

If people hate those things then they're not true fans of the game and if they say they are then they need to take a hard look at themselves in the mirror. Their feelings are a reflection of how they feel about their life in general (i.e. probably pissed off about their lot in life, jealous of others success, envious of others success, etc)

DazedAndConfused
04-26-2008, 02:48 PM
I think it's a little alarming that the Spurs can't even sell out playoff games. Do their fans not realize how incredible rare it is to have a championship caliber team that can compete for the better part of a decade?

This shit doesn't come around often, and after Duncan retires the Spurs could be in rebuild mode for a very long time. Them being in such a small market certainly doesn't help either.

michaelwcho
04-26-2008, 02:51 PM
I think we should appreciate the unique situation of having an awesome, but unpopular team.

After all, don't you hate it when some team wins the title, and all of a sudden you got a bunch of posers wearing their gear? It sucks! Better to be a fan of a truly great team that wins the right way. The Spurs are not great entertainers in the modern sense of the word, with high-flying dunks and chest bumps. But we know, and all knowledgable fans know, that what we have is fascinating, unprecedented, and all-time great.

We don't need the bandwagoners. We'll just have to survive being on ESPN's shitlist.

sprrs
04-26-2008, 03:16 PM

The thing is, if it's not jealousy, then why is it just (mostly) the Spurs? Why not hate on other, lesser teams who are just as "boring"? Because they don't win. Sure doesn't sound like jealousy to me :rolleyes

spursfan09
04-26-2008, 03:25 PM

I thought you were making good points until you started about Texans and the state of Texas. Are you saying people might hate the spurs becasue they are from Texas? Oh and I am a Texan, I think if you just spotted me you would already hate me. I am just saying...:hat

balli
04-26-2008, 03:37 PM
I thought you were making good points until you started about Texans and the state of Texas. Are you saying people might hate the spurs becasue they are from Texas? Oh and I am a Texan, I think if you just spotted me you would already hate me. I am just saying...:hat

Well a lot people don't like Texas. Any state that has their own pledge and the slogan "don't mess with us" is going to be viewed as a little self-righteous by outsiders. Especially when you take Houston (The fattest and dirtiest city) and George Bush into account. Theres even a website for people who live there to bitch about it. http://txsucks.com. Like the site says: Texas bravado- as dumb as the state is big. I say all that in jest BTW. I actually liked San Antonio a lot the one time I've been there.

But that wasn't my point. My point was that you are in a small, rural market, much like my own team in Utah and that generally there aren't many people from outside TX who have cause to root for you. Conversely, places like Chicago, LA, New York, Boston... Even like Seattle, Miami and such, have a lot of transplants and people outside of their cities who would have a reason to root for them based on the locale.

SAtown
04-26-2008, 03:39 PM
But that wasn't my point. My point was that you are in a small, rural market, much like my own team in Utah and that generally there aren't many people from outside TX who have cause to root for you.

You do realize that TONS of Spurs fans on Spurstalk aren't even from Texas... and that's only a small fraction of how many non-Texans actually root for the Spurs.

BonnerDynasty
04-26-2008, 03:42 PM
Texas would win a states battle royale.

balli
04-26-2008, 03:44 PM
You do realize that TONS of Spurs fans on Spurstalk aren't even from Texas... and that's only a small fraction of how many non-Texans actually root for the Spurs.

I realize that there are a lot of foreign fans who became Spurs fans by supporting foreign players. Otherwise probably not a lot who don't have a connection to Texas in some capacity. At least not in comparison to the other markets I mentioned.

balli
04-26-2008, 03:53 PM
Texas would win a states battle royale.

That. I will not disagree with. I'm a pretty damn liberal when it comes to war, but if I'm still living in America when shit does hit the fan, it's nice to know that there'll be a bunch of crazy as fuck Texans on our side.

Xylus
04-26-2008, 03:53 PM

+1

Good post. I wouldn't take offense to it, Spurs fans. You should be extremely proud of the way your team handles itself on and off the court, but the fact of the matter is that very few basketball fans actively root for your team once their team has been eliminated from the postseason.

People only truly hate winning teams, so it's nothing to be upset over.

Jason_Terry
04-26-2008, 04:31 PM
I don't think most people care enough (except for maybe Suns fans) to hate the Spurs. ESPN, well, that's a different story.

I think either the Cowboys or Lakers take the prize for most hated team in America. Neither one of them have won anything in a long time, so I do think it has a little more to do with a team just winning too much as to why they're hated.

ransome
04-26-2008, 06:33 PM

It sure seems that way.

Absolutely. They also pull the lowest final tv ratings, everyone outside San Antonio hates your team.

QuietDynasty
04-26-2008, 06:39 PM

sounds to me like a jealous bitch wow where did u come up with all that shit lol

SAtown
04-26-2008, 06:41 PM
Absolutely. They also pull the lowest final tv ratings, everyone outside San Antonio hates your team.

da_suns_fan? :rollin

QuietDynasty
04-26-2008, 06:42 PM

im sure the phoenix would trade everything they have, the nut swingers club special popular throne (espn) and being love, for just a chance, just one, and i mean only one of the rings Timmy and company have

so yeah how you like them apples, hateable, with 4 rings mofockas!:lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2:

balli
04-26-2008, 06:43 PM
sounds to me like a jealous bitch wow where did u come up with all that shit lol

Unfortunately for you all that shit is true. Don't call me a jealous bitch. Learn to think.

DazedAndConfused
04-26-2008, 06:46 PM
I don't think most people care enough (except for maybe Suns fans) to hate the Spurs. ESPN, well, that's a different story.

I think either the Cowboys or Lakers take the prize for most hated team in America. Neither one of them have won anything in a long time, so I do think it has a little more to do with a team just winning too much as to why they're hated.

Really???

Los Angeles Lakers

1999-2000, 2000-2001, 2001-2002 NBA Champions

Unless you consider 5-6 years ago to be a LONG time.....

balli
04-26-2008, 06:46 PM
im sure the phoenix would trade everything they have, the nut swingers club special popular throne (espn) and being love, for just a chance, just one, and i mean only one of the rings Timmy and company have

so yeah how you like them apples, hateable, with 4 rings mofockas!:lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2:

:depressed fail

SRJ
04-26-2008, 06:55 PM
The San Antonio Spurs are an object lesson in the hypocracy of media commentary.

Beginning in the 1990's, talking heads made retirement money by ripping athletes to shreds for winning without dignity, losing without grace, trash talking, and playing a style of game without regard for fundamental skills. Listen to sports radio and watch ESPN and you'll see that this trend hasn't slowed a bit.

So what happens? The San Antonio Spurs give the world a team that wins with dignity, loses with grace, consistently praises the opposition, plays the right way...and the talking heads don't like it. Their parrots at home and in the stands repeat the message ad nauseam.

I know that the Popovich-Duncan Spurs are the best team of its time in any sport precisely because the talking heads hate them or ignore them. And it makes me smile. All of that bullshit makes me embrace the asterisks; every time we win, jackasses everywhere give us asterisks. Bring 'em on.

easjer
04-26-2008, 06:57 PM
See, I couldn't understand for the longest time why anyone thought Duncan/Parker/Ginobili/etc were boring or emotionless. It was obvious to me that they are intensely emotional, and play with flair and panache. I couldn't understand why the wry humor and the subtle jabs and jokes with the media were overlooked.

I understood the winning/jealousy thing. I understood the boring/plodding/defense-driven/half-court/no highlight reel hate. I understood the working chemistry issues. I just couldn't understand what was not to like.

And then it came to me, with my new coworker - she is a Houston fan, but watches a fair amount of basketball. One day, I was sad at lunch, so I watched one of the HEB commercials to make myself laugh. She asked what it was and I showed her and she started laughing too. Sure, it's a dumb, lame little commercial, but she said that she finally understood why I liked them so much.

Outside of SA, you don't get to see a lot of the personality and emotion that this team has. They don't seem likable, because you don't know about Tim Duncan sneaking a coke into the movies, or about Ginobili coming over to joke with fans at an away game. The personality stops at the sideline, because they are professionals and all about business. If you don't see them locally and know them, you miss out on a lot.

J_Paco
04-26-2008, 06:59 PM
I realize that there are a lot of foreign fans who became Spurs fans by supporting foreign players. Otherwise probably not a lot who don't have a connection to Texas in some capacity. At least not in comparison to the other markets I mentioned.

I've ran with this team for nearly 15+ years, I'm 25, and I've never lived a die of my life in Texas. Maybe I root for this team because of guys like David Robinson and Tim Duncan, and that's exactly why others hate the team. People say they want the "good guy" to win, but that's a lie. People root for the anti-hero, especially in this society, and the Spurs don't represent that.

It also doesn't help that Tim suffers from "Kareem Abdul-Jabbar media relationship syndrome." Oh well, I've heard the same shit since he stepped onto the court in '97 and it doesn't bother me anymore. He's got the titles and accolades that everyone else wants.

Oh, also you'd be surprised how many people wear Spurs gear at their annual game in the Nation's Capital. Shit, I know I've been very shocked at how many Spurs fans are at the Verizon Center (bandwagon or not).

Brutalis
04-26-2008, 07:04 PM

Whatever point you tried to make failed. Comparing the any decade Jazz against these Spurs is senseless. No I am not offended nor do I think you're jealous either. Just somewhat ignorant.

balli
04-26-2008, 07:13 PM
Comparing the any decade Jazz against these Spurs is senseless.
I was talking about the 90's Jazz. And I am below.
Let's see: Are they both from small markets? Check. Are they both hard-nosed defensive teams? Check. Are they both effecient in the way they score? Check. Are they both disliked by the rest of the nation? Check. Do they both have players known for flopping? Check. Are they both really good teams? Check. Are they both teams that start with a hall of fame PF? Check. Are they both kind of unathletic? Check. Do they both have a lot of good character guys? Check. Has Pop consistently said he sort of modeled his team after the Jazz and that he respects Jerry Sloan above all others? Check. Careful, you're sounding somewhat ignorant.

pjjrfan
04-26-2008, 07:24 PM
Who cares!!!!!! I love my Spurs win or lose been that way since they were born.

fyatuk
04-26-2008, 08:41 PM
Everyone has their own reasons. It doesn't suprise me. Not many people know anything about San Antonio, so that already makes the team undesireable for most people. Toss in the fact that the 99 and 03 teams did play a very repetitive 4-down style (our first real showing on the national stage) against very inferior teams, add in a measure of all people involved with the Spurs shunning the spotlight (Tony Parker is the closest thing to a media darling we have), and there's not much to appeal to people not from the region.

There's just so many reasons for a person who doesn't follow the Spurs like us to dislike them. We know the players and coaches like no one else CAN know them, and we see how likeable they are, while others just see them want to run from the media. When I've seen that with teams that weren't my teams, it always struck me as aloofness and an air of superiority. After witnessing these Spurs, I know that's not always the case.

TampaDude
04-26-2008, 08:51 PM

+1 Exactly!

balli
04-26-2008, 09:08 PM
^ That's true. Nobody spends time hating on a losing team. That isn't the reason you're hated though. Plenty of teams have won a lot without being universally hated. Don't know what makes you any different?

Condemned 2 HelLA
04-26-2008, 09:16 PM
da_suns_fan? :rollin

Where has that twat been, anyway?
Him and that other skidmark yourcheatinheart haven't been leaving any pearls of wisdom around here lately.
Poor mislead asshats.

samikeyp
04-26-2008, 09:18 PM
What strikes me as funny is all the "you"s in that post. As if the people of Spurstalk actually make up the Spurs team and organization. I have no problem with anyone hating the Spurs, although I find it a little sad and pathetic that people actually feel hatred toward a group of people they don't actually know and even more so, people who play a game for a living. That being said, people can like and dislike who they want but to say one team is definitely the most hated is stupid because something like that is opinion and not fact since it cannot be proven accurately.

Just my .02

LuvBones
04-26-2008, 09:22 PM
^ That's true. Nobody spends time hating on a losing team. That isn't the reason you're hated though. Plenty of teams have won a lot without being universally hated. Don't know what makes you any different?

Where do you get that we are universally hated? Spurs have fans in North America, South America, Europe, etc....

Also, I hope you don't think that insulting the Spurs and all Texans repeatedly makes us truly upset. The more fans of other teams we can upset, the better. I love closing out games in opposing arenas, and I love how they cannot deny that the Spurs are the better team. Period. The Spurs can be hated by millions for all I care. I love how this city gets together and enjoys Championship after Championship after Championship. It's a feeling you can't even describe. :D Go Spurs Go!

:lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2:

samikeyp
04-26-2008, 09:24 PM
I would agree though that teams like the Yankees, Cowboys, Lakers and Notre Dame have decades of a head start of being hated. Those teams have been the object of scorn by many generations of people, it gets passed on from generation to generation. Being here in Big 10 country (yes, I live outside of Texas and root for the Spurs. :) ) I see the ND hate that has been passed on. The only thing that Michigan and Michigan State fans can agree on is their hatred of the Irish.

balli
04-26-2008, 09:27 PM
What strikes me as funny is all the "you"s in that post. As if the people of Spurstalk actually make up the Spurs team and organization. I have no problem with anyone hating the Spurs, although I find it a little sad and pathetic that people actually feel hatred toward a group of people they don't actually know and even more so, people who play a game for a living. That being said, people can like and dislike who they want but to say one team is definitely the most hated is stupid because something like that is opinion and not fact since it cannot be proven accurately.

Just my .02

Well what do you want a stastical analysis of a market's likability? And you do realize that the word "hate" is being used as a hyperbolic one right? I mean I don't think anyone who's used the expression wants to commit genocide against the Spurs and we don't actually hate them in the Hitler mold if that's what you're suggesting. It's a common term often used in a culturally-disseminated way to express displeasure or dislike.

samikeyp
04-26-2008, 09:28 PM
Well what do you want a stastical analysis of a market's likability? And you do realize that the word "hate" is being used as a hyperbolic one right? I mean I don't think anyone who's used the expression wants to commit genocide against the Spurs and we don't actually hate them in the Hitler mold if that's what you're suggesting. It's a common term often used in a culturally-disseminated way to express displeasure or dislike.

I understand how the term is used, my point is that I don't think its needed in reference to sports. I also realize to each his or her own and while I don't use it and don't care for it doesn't mean I am trying to scold others or convince anyone to change the way they act.

balli
04-26-2008, 09:33 PM
Also, I hope you don't think that insulting the Spurs and all Texans repeatedly makes us truly upset.

I haven't repeatedly been insulting the spurs and their fans. I've said that I don't like them and I've explained why. I've also said that I loved San Antonio when I was there and that all my criticisms of TX, other than that San Antonio is a small market, were in complete jest. I've probably said how much I respect the Spurs about 15 times. I've called them efficient and I've called their style of play beautiful and effective. I haven't said a word about the fans other than that I prefer the crowds in larger markets. In fact, except for dressing down one poster who was being an immature bitch, I think I've gone out of my way to be as amicable and kind as possible while disagreeing with the majority viewpoint. If I've repeatedly insulted you, or TX, I'm sorry. That truly wasn't my intention. I'm not sorry for saying I dislike the Spurs though. I'm allowed to form my own opinion and if that's what insulted you, well, tough.

balli
04-26-2008, 09:34 PM
I understand how the term is used, my point is that I don't think its needed in reference to sports. I also realize to each his or her own and while I don't use it and don't care for it doesn't mean I am trying to scold others or convince anyone to change the way they act.

Duly noted. Just wanted to make sure.

P.S. Hell yeah J Smoove.

BuzzerBeater
04-26-2008, 10:20 PM
Many people jump from one thing to another, clothing, cell phones, even the words they speak with. One thing hardly changes and that's the Spurs. You can't change what they do because they play as one and are the best at that.
So that irritates a lot of people, people who want to see new faces but end up seeing the same Spurs every year at the playoffs.
It's not even about sports, it's about how people want to hear about Britney Spears and other's messing up instead of about news that's a lot more positive and good to hear.
So those same people want to see someone else at the finals, like as if they could bend or break the rules because they buy Nike sportswear and drink sportsade and think they deserve to call the shots because they spent money on sports stuff or have a Superman Howard poster on their wall.

DazedAndConfused
04-26-2008, 10:38 PM
^Whatever you are talking about has only been true since Duncan came aboard. The Spurs were completely irrelevant before then as they will be afterward, unless you think winning division titles means something.

BuzzerBeater
04-26-2008, 10:49 PM
I think hate has a lot of levels and means different things to different people.
People disliked David Robinson and maybe the Spurs by association when they came to realize the things he believed in and stood for, especially how he stood at attention during the national anthem before games and before Tim Duncan joined the Spurs.
Streetball, hip hop and longer shorts worn by players became popular and the Spurs were not changing with the way things were changing back then.

carina_gino20
04-26-2008, 11:16 PM

I'm not from Texas, or Argentina, or France, or Slovenia, or.......

I have absolutely no connection to Texas. But one day I turned on the tv and watched the Spurs play and I was a goner. It probably helped that I didn't spend too much time on the web back then. Because I think someone who watches the Spurs for the first time, without any influence from the media, could really like the Spurs.

I agree with whoever said that it's probably also because outside of San Antonio, people don't really get to see that much of the Spurs. But I'm fortunate enough to have found this board that gives me a lot of gems. If not, I never would've seen Matt Bonner in drag, or Tim Duncan wearing an ugly wig. :lol

Elraptor
04-26-2008, 11:20 PM
One of them, but like i said the Spurs are also one of the best in the entire league. :hat

No one can stop the winners of the Spurs :D

Obstructed_View
04-27-2008, 01:37 AM
Has this jealous bitch gone away yet?

Pulgoso
04-27-2008, 08:40 AM
Hated because they simply have a 'Heart of a Champion'.
Classy organization from the owner, coaches, players they do it humbly with style.
They have great respect to their oponents.
Egoless players...none selfish...they do what is good for the entire team.
High IQ rosters...mental toughness one of the great characteristic of being a champion.
Great coach...bringing a low profile player into 4 championship in 7 years is consider a genius.
Play very efficient every game. Everything they do is meaningful. They don't waste effort to win meaningless game.
Plenty of talented players. They have many players that can step up and carry the offense to win every game. (Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobili, Tony Parker, Michael Finley, none high scorer but can be dangerous in a close scoring games - Robert Horry, Brent Barry, Bruce Bowen, Ime Udoka)
They only exposed their best talent during playoffs. During regular season they only exert enough to put them selves in a good playoff position for a great position to win a championship.
Great defense...top defensive players Bruce Bowen and Ime Udoka. Capable to shutdown one or two top scoring player of the oponents and let the big three take care of the offense.
Every game they have different look offensively that make it really to for the opponents to defend.
Being a champion this year is very possible. Top possible opponent.
Lakers - Bruce Bowen and Ime Udoka will simply shutdown Kobe Bryant and let Tim Duncan take care of Pau Gasol. The rest can play around with Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker. Although Lakers did a big improvement this year and Kobe Bryant as the MVP this year they are one of the thoughest team in the West along with Utah Jazz. But the Spurs are still the best team in the West overall. They did not made it to be the no 1 in the West because of injuries of the Big Three players.
Celtics - will be the toughest match. Tim Duncan vs Kevin Garnett...infairness to Kevin Garnet but Tim Duncan can overplay him. Point guard match up..Rondo is one of the best point guard but offensively Tony Parker can shread him into pieces. Michael Finley vs Ray Allen will be a tough match but I will take Ray Allen between them. Manu Ginobili and Paul Pierce...Manu Ginobili no doubt.

I can see Spurs and Celtics for this year championship so far in the first round of play-off. But if Spurs win the championship this year they are considered as a dynasty. Considering for next year at least...in addition of Euroleague top Center and Playoff MVP this year Tiago Splitter to replace Francisco Elson, men they SPurs will have a deeper bench player next year. Also another addition a power forward Ian Mahinmi this team will be solid.