PDA

View Full Version : Expectations for Game 4

spurschick
04-26-2008, 10:40 AM
Listening to the guys on NBATV after the game last night, there seem to be two schools of thought.

The Suns do their best to save face and get one game at home, even though they know that winning a Game 5 in SA will be almost impossible – or – they decide not to prolong the inevitable, forego one last plane ride and tank the game.

Thoughts?

Bulwark
04-26-2008, 10:43 AM
I hope it is the latter. The guys need the rest to heal the bumps and bruises. I think this Suns team is totally demoralized, but do they have any pride left? It doesn't seem like it. I would've thought that this pride would have come out last night.

wijayas
04-26-2008, 10:45 AM
Suns has too much pride to simply lie down and die. They will strike back, hard. Let's not assume the series is over until it is over.

Amare_32
04-26-2008, 10:46 AM
If the Suns start off slow in Game 4 I don't think mentally they can play an uphill game. They need to jump out to an early lead and sustain it.

Mr.Bottomtooth
04-26-2008, 10:46 AM
Tank.

1Parker1
04-26-2008, 10:51 AM
I actually think the Spurs have a great chance at winning Game 4. I think yesterday's game was more of a do or die game for them and they came out completely flat. I do think they'll come out with better effort and keep it close, but I expect the Spurs to do everything in their power to make this series over in 4. Esp with Ginobili and Parker banged up, they know how much rest before round two would help.

I don't even think it's a matter of effort at this point. If the Suns don't come up with an answer and quick on how to defend the Spurs pick and roll, they could play with about 110% heart and effort, but it won't help them any.

SpurOutofTownFan
04-26-2008, 10:54 AM
I would say the spurs win the game but in no way the suns will tank it. that's crazy.

dbreiden83080
04-26-2008, 10:57 AM
You could see it in the post-game quotes, Suns are emotionally bankrupt right now. Spurs just need to not let them off the hook and i don't think they will. There is no love loss here, Spurs don't talk trash but you know they would love to sweep these guys with all the talk of Suns being the better team and last year was robbery. Come out with a focused first half and Suns will likely quit mentally, Spurs have them reeling begging to be KTFO.

alamo50
04-26-2008, 11:00 AM
How can they tank if they still believe they're the better team?

:)

dbreiden83080
04-26-2008, 11:01 AM

LOL. Even Danton'i is having a hard time selling that by now.

Admidave50
04-26-2008, 11:02 AM
I think that the Spurs have great chance to win the game 4, but it will be a dog fight. No way that the Suns let the Spurs win the last game easily.

boutons_
04-26-2008, 11:02 AM
Suns are spent,
demolished,
flummoxed,
dumbfounded,
out-played,
beat like rug,
kaput.

As team and coach, they don't have the backbone for "sauver l'honneur". Their classless fans can suck it all summer.

Spurs have the huge motivation to get home and rest up while watching Hornets-Mavs. They won't let up. 4-0

TampaDude
04-26-2008, 11:05 AM
It's very difficult to close out a team in their house, especially one as good as the Suns...and it IS a Sunday afternoon game. If the Spurs play anything close to how they played last night, though, they will win Game 4 easily and finish the sweep.

Obstructed_View
04-26-2008, 11:06 AM
Spurs better be ready to close this out. Fortunes can turn around really quickly in sports, and rest is important for an old team. Underestimate the opponent now and they're likely to find themselves in a six game slugfest for the chance to meet a rested Hornets team.

TampaDude
04-26-2008, 11:08 AM
Spurs better be ready to close this out. Fortunes can turn around really quickly in sports, and rest is important for an old team. Underestimate the opponent now and they're likely to find themselves in a six game slugfest for the chance to meet a rested Hornets team.

+1

I'm a Yankees fan, and I'll never forget the debacle in 2004...it ain't over 'til it's OVER.

SAGambler
04-26-2008, 11:10 AM
Suns has too much pride to simply lie down and die. They will strike back, hard. Let's not assume the series is over until it is over.

I agree. And I think the Spurs do too. Listening to Tonys remarks about how they have been up 2-0 and then lost and they aren't about to let that happen again, tells me they aren't going to let up until the series is in the books.

But I don't think Suns will lay down. I just think they are outmanned and outcoached, and they just don't have a chance in hell. They are mentally defeated, whether they publicly admit it or not.

SpursFan0728
04-26-2008, 11:14 AM
I say is going to be a hard battle
and spurs will win a close one

TheTruth
04-26-2008, 11:15 AM
Pretty stupid to think that a team with Shaq and Nash would even think about tanking.

Obstructed_View
04-26-2008, 11:17 AM
I remember when the Spurs were up 2-0 on Minnesota in the first round. Someone asked David Robinson if the Spurs were thinking sweep and he said "no". They went out and lost the next game. Timmy has always said that wanting to close out a series is a sign of respect for your opponent.

MannyIsGod
04-26-2008, 11:23 AM
My school of thought is that right now the Suns can't stop the Spurs and thats not going to change in one day. Nope, it'll be like game 3 where no matter what the Suns do it won't matter because the Spurs are just flat out better.

td4mvp21
04-26-2008, 11:25 AM
I'd have to think the Spurs would come out just as focused, if not more, than they did in Game 3. The Suns may start off hot like a lot of teams do on elimination games and the Spurs may just have to weather the storm for a couple of quarters and then win the game.

Obstructed_View
04-26-2008, 11:29 AM
There are an awful lot of chickens around SpursTalk today. I hope the team doesn't start counting them.

peskypesky
04-26-2008, 11:30 AM
There are an awful lot of chickens around SpursTalk today. I hope the team doesn't start counting them.

I think you meant "eggs".

DazedAndConfused
04-26-2008, 11:31 AM
The Suns have no answer for the P&R with Parker and Duncan. Until that changes I expect the Spurs to blow them out again.

Amare_32
04-26-2008, 11:32 AM
We are screwed

T Park
04-26-2008, 11:36 AM
Pretty stupid to think that a team with Shaq and Nash would even think about tanking.

Yeah Shaq is famous for not tanking and losing in 4.

michaelwcho
04-26-2008, 11:38 AM
Guys, I hate to be pessimistic, but it's not common for our whole team to be nailing perimeter shots all night. Unless it's another layup drill, we could easily go cold and get outscored once or twice. Weren't we near the bottom of offense during the regular season?

Obstructed_View
04-26-2008, 11:50 AM
I think you meant "eggs".

The term refers to counting chickens. Don't overanalyze it.

urunobili
04-26-2008, 11:51 AM
+1

callo1
04-26-2008, 11:56 AM

LMAO !!

Seriously, No-D'Antoni has lost his team, and it was apparent last night. Those guys have no confidence in him or his system anymore...none. I believe that what Van Gumby said is 100% true, when he said that if you have real confidence, you don't have to keep telling yourself your the better team, you just go out and prove it.

As much as Sons fans don't want to admit it, the Spurs simply own that franchise. Part of me feels bad for the real classy Suns fans, but it is REAL hard to give a rats ass about the moronic crap talking Sons fans if you know what I mean.

I feel similar to the way I feel about Sonic fans right now. I feel their pain, knowing they are losing a franchise, but at the same time, I can never forget the utter lack of class displayed when Timmy hit the floor in agony grasping his twisted ankle and many of their fans cheered.

No-D'Antoni will be fired, of this I have no doubts. That is good news for real Suns fans, but having Snaq O'meal on the payroll for 40mill over two years really limits that team financially.

Oh yes, and get ready for the inevitable Suns fans...Snaq is going to pull the "I didn't get the ball enough" crap and toss teamates under the bus as soon as the series is over.

Nash I feel somewhat bad for. He will go down as another Dan Marino. Never able to win a ring. Yes he gets calls, complains etc., but there are alot worse roll models out there for kids if you know what I mean. Suns fans need to get off his ass...you knew he didn't play defense before you picked him up.

Nash on a team of team defenders would not be near the liability he is on that team.

The Suns need a bench. They have no depth to speak of because Dumb'Antoni doesn't use deep rotations. The next coach will address this, but due to Snaq's contract, it will be hard to accomplish anything. The allure of the Sun 'N gun offense will disapear when No-D'Antoni leaves, and this will complicate things more, as veterans looking for a ring will chose the Spurs, Hornets etc. over the Suns in a heartbeat.

In short, it is time to rebuild Suns fan.

IceColdBrewski
04-26-2008, 12:14 PM
They'll tank.

BiZNicK
04-26-2008, 12:15 PM
Anyone have a broom i can borrow??

Xylus
04-26-2008, 12:42 PM
Suns will try and go out with a little pride by winning Game 4, but the Spurs should close it out on their home floor in Game 5.

GrandeDavid
04-26-2008, 12:49 PM
Thought? That there's no way Phoenix would "tank" the game. Game 4, I feel, will be very tough.

CosmicCowboy
04-26-2008, 12:51 PM
Suns are angry, embarrassed, and know the big 3 are killing them.

I am expecting some very physical and cheap fouls on Manu and Parker especially in game 4 and just hope they can come out of that game healthy.

callo1
04-26-2008, 12:53 PM
My prediction:

http://i25.tinypic.com/3005qbt.jpg

ShoogarBear
04-26-2008, 12:53 PM
It will all hinge on Shaq.

I expect all the other Suns to put up a good fight. It's 50-50 whether The Big Sweep shows up.

Mr. Happy
04-26-2008, 12:54 PM
The Suns won't lay down, but if the Spurs execute and knock out the open shots like they did last night then it won't matter how much the Suns want the game. It's all up to the Spurs since they are the matchup nightmare for the Suns, not the other way around.

m33p0
04-26-2008, 12:55 PM
a combination of things may happen:
Spurs -
A) Spurs have been known to tighten the screws on a closeout game.
B) Possible letdown knowing they are up 3-0 and can finish off the suns at home.

Suns -
1) They have nothing more to lose and everything to gain.
2) That sinking feeling that the Spurs truly are their daddy will make them tank this one and end the misery.

if the combination A1 happens, we are in for a treat. tooth and nail affair.
if either A2 or B1 happens, its a blowout for one of the teams.
if B2, tune in at the last 2 minute mark to see who wins.

hopefully, its A1. if not, i'll settle for A2 for a sweep.

Bruno
04-26-2008, 12:55 PM
The series isn't over before a team win 4 games and Suns are a talented team.

Saying that, Spurs are a vet team, have played very well and Suns have lost a lot of confidence. I expect Spurs to win game 4. If not Spurs will have to win game 5 at home.
The road to the repeat will be long and hard. Having some rest before the WCSF could be crucial.

Strike
04-26-2008, 01:18 PM
The only thing I expect is a Spurs win.

SpursFanATL
04-26-2008, 01:30 PM
I don't have all the stats in front of me, but I think the Spurs have a really good record in non game 7 closeout opportunities. Going back to at least 2005, I think the only time that the Spurs had a chance to closeout at team (prior to a game 7) but didn't win was game 6 of the Finals in 2005 against Detroit. The Spurs are very good at delivering the knock out punch when the opposing team is on the ropes.

E20
04-26-2008, 01:32 PM
Expectations for Game 4:
-We win.
-Manu goes apeshit, because first it was TD, then it was TP doing the apeshitting, now following logic, it's Manu's turn to do some shitting.

WalterBenitez
04-26-2008, 01:32 PM
I only expect to kick their asses ...

sabar
04-26-2008, 01:36 PM
A playoff series has never been won when hack-a-shaq has been used.

Time to make history.

Agloco
04-26-2008, 01:48 PM
The Spurs need to shoot well or else they'll get their asses handed to them in Game 4. The first 6 minutes of the game will tell us if the Spurs are serious about closing this out, or just content to come home and do it here.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-26-2008, 02:22 PM

Actually Shaq is pretty likely to mail it in, that's typical for him down 3-0 in series.

I could see Nash, Amare, Barbosa, those guys laying it all out, but I expect Shaq to mail it in.

BonnerDynasty
04-26-2008, 02:31 PM
It's pretty simple.

The Suns will either learn how to defend the p'n'roll better, or get pwned again.

Spurs play defense.

SAGambler
04-26-2008, 02:38 PM
Listening to the guys on NBATV after the game last night, there seem to be two schools of thought.

The Suns do their best to save face and get one game at home, even though they know that winning a Game 5 in SA will be almost impossible – or – they decide not to prolong the inevitable, forego one last plane ride and tank the game.

Thoughts?

I predict one more "moral" victory for the Suns. They will then have swept the Spurs in moral victories and can have a Desert Parade in the Valley of the Suns.

boutons_
04-26-2008, 02:42 PM
"Suns has too much pride to simply lie down and die"

nah, Suns are done, sooner or later. Not a question of pride. I doubt their team+coach to keep it for 48 minutes.

Spurs will take care of business, knowing they are winners, closing out a series on the road, which they've done many times.

FromWayDowntown
04-26-2008, 02:47 PM
We've been here before -- in 2005 -- and the Suns came up with a monsterous effort in Game 4 in San Antonio to extend the series to 5.

I would expect nothing less from them this year, too.

SenorSpur
04-26-2008, 04:02 PM
Broom and dustpan!

UV Ray
04-26-2008, 04:40 PM
I remember when the Spurs were up 2-0 on Minnesota in the first round. Someone asked David Robinson if the Spurs were thinking sweep and he said "no". They went out and lost the next game. Timmy has always said that wanting to close out a series is a sign of respect for your opponent.

Excellent quote. Diplomatic and motivating.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
04-26-2008, 05:39 PM
Spurs know they have business to take care of, it's just like the Cleveland game, they don't take close-out games for granted anymore, and complacent Spurs have matured since their pre-2005 days. They always seemed to ease up in playoff series. Now they've learned.

Expectations for Game 4:
-We win.
-Manu goes apeshit, because first it was TD, then it was TP doing the apeshitting, now following logic, it's Manu's turn to do some shitting.

It would be cool, so they all can have career playoff games in the Suns series, but he's hurting right now.

Pop's kept his minutes under 30 in the last two games, so I think they're preserving him for the next series, in hopes that he can go apeshit there.

I think it'll be a balanced attack and Pop will keep using Parker to exploit the defenses.

BiZNicK
04-26-2008, 05:42 PM
http://www.majordojo.com/images/broom.jpg

^
Speaks for itself.

SpurOutofTownFan
04-26-2008, 05:50 PM
I dont know what you guys are talking about, the spurs will try closing this out tomorrow mark my words. they know they dont want to see these guy's faces anymore and they will likely have more time to rest than the winner of the other series. Dont entertain too much the idea of the spurs closing out at home on a game 5 - they will wrap this up tomorrow at any cost tank or no tank.

raspsa
04-26-2008, 06:08 PM
I hope they finish it. Take advanyage of the game 3 momentum and Suns frame of mind. There's a lot of pressure on the Suns to win at least 1 game so I think they will play tight. Spurs,on the other hand should be relaxed and loose.

Tradition
04-26-2008, 07:30 PM
No excuses. You close this out tomorrow. AGAIN NO EXCUSES. The Spurs have that killer instinct now. They showed it on a consistent basis last years playoffs when they eliminated anyone the first chance they were in that position. The killer instinct is there especially for a team like the spurs. If this goes to a game 5, id be shocked. There is no reason they cant end this tomorrow no matter how hard the Suns play. The Spurs know what to do. Go out and execute that shit on the court and they will win game 4.

Indazone
04-26-2008, 07:33 PM
Spurs are gonna sweep. D'Antoni doesn't have a clue on the inside out game and defensive schemes to defend the lane. He needs to have better rotation to cover Manu and Parker which means that a forward is gonna have to jump out now and then to double. But I don't think this level of defensive sophistication exists in the Suns organization.

m33p0
04-26-2008, 11:53 PM
i expect a Spurs win in Game 4.

failing that, a Suns loss will also do.

SKINNYPIMP210
04-27-2008, 02:18 AM
Expectations for Game 4:
-We win.

THAT IS ONE OF THE FUNNIEST QUOTES I'VE EVER READ SERIOUSLY!!! LMFAO! :lol

DAF86
04-27-2008, 02:30 AM
A lot of booing by Sons funs.

Shaolin-Style
04-27-2008, 03:04 AM
The Spurs are Drago
And the Suns are Rocky

"I must break you"

"We're the bad guys, and they're the good guys. And I'll be damned if we're gonna let the good guys win!"

spurs_fan_in_exile
04-27-2008, 03:49 AM
I think it will look a lot like game 2. Spurs shots won't be falling and Phoenix will be going all out. Spurs will break their backs in the third, Suns wave the white flag half way through the four and their season ends in a chorus of boos.

My biggest worry is that Shaq, in the name of "pride", will lay out Manu or Tony like Derek Anderson when they embarrass him one too many times.

ManuTastic
04-27-2008, 06:27 AM
Phx is done. I knew hack-a-shaq was working great when they showed D'Umbtoni's halftime speech in game 3 and he was trying to get them not to worry about the fouls. The fact that he had to take time to address it just shows it was a big psychological problem for them. Props to Pop for a brilliant coaching move: exposing Shaq and making his new teammates stop trusting him.

Spurs are ROLLING right now, Suns are shaking their heads, it's gonna be a sweep TODAY.

ManuTastic
04-27-2008, 06:32 AM
My biggest worry is that Shaq, in the name of "pride", will lay out Manu or Tony like Derek Anderson when they embarrass him one too many times.

I agree; this worries me too. To be fair, I can't remember any times Shaq has done this. For a guy who could put anyone in the hospital with his little finger, he's shown great self-restraint through the years.