PDA

View Full Version : Great White Shark Kills Man In Southern California

duncan228
04-26-2008, 11:20 AM
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/shark-beach-county-2026885-great-attack

Shark kills triathlon trainee in Solana Beach
By LAYLAN CONNELLY

A shark attacked and killed a swimmer in Solana Beach at about 7 a.m. as he trained for a triathlon just 150 yards from shore.

The man was identified during a news conference as David Martin, a 66-year-old veterinarian of Solana Beach. Experts confirmed it was a great white shark – 12 to 17 feet long – that killed the man.

He was taken to the Fletcher Cove Park lifeguard station, where he was pronounced dead on the scene, according to a statement on the city Web site.

The beach and waters of Solana Beach have been cleared and sheriff's helicopters are scanning the shores for the animal, according to the statement. The beach could stay closed for about 72 hours.

State Parks Superintendant Rich Rozzelle said the state beaches – including nearby San Onofre – will remain open, and they have no plans to add signs warning the public.

Back in 2005 when a pair of great whites were hanging around the area, signs were posted. But until this attack, there have been no reports of sharks recently, he said.

Lifeguards in San Clemente, the southernmost Orange County city beach near San Diego County, said they were keeping the beaches open and have not sent out an alert to beach-goers. But lifeguards have had several calls come in to the station, according to lifeguard Kevin Cook.

"We haven't had any sightings or alerts. It's business is going to go on as normal around here," he said. "We're kind of right up the street here. It's close, but it's considered pretty safe around here."

Laguna lifeguards said they won't be closing the beach or sending out shark alerts.

"We're not having any sightings, and at this point in time, we're not going to do anything as far as any closures go," said Lt. Tom Trager, who said he's seen a few sharks locally over the years, but none that have been aggressive toward humans. "Obviously, we all know there's a few out there. We're all curious to learn more."

According to a city press release, Martin was part of the Triathlon Club of San Diego. There were nine swimmers training, with Martin in the middle of the pack.

"We are all stunned and deeply saddened by this rare accident," Joe Kellejian, Mayor of Solana Beach, wrote in the release. "Dr. Martin was a good man, an expert swimmer and one who knew these waters well. We wish his family well during this difficult time."

Sheriff's helicopters will scan the San Diego beaches to track any possible shark activity until 6 p.m. Coastal cities along San Diego's North and Central County will remain on high alert for the weekend from south Carlsbad State Beach to Torrey Pines State Beach, according to the release.

Triathlon athelte Scott Zornig, 48, of Coto de Caza, said the recent attack isn't enough to keep him out of the water, and sharks and other dangers are part of the reality of ocean swimming.

"I feel very bad for the family and the person that this happened to," he said. "But it will not change my feelings about swimming in the ocean.

Zornig said he purposely does not go into the water wearing a wet suit, because it makes swimmers look like seals – making them a target for great sharks.

"Those happen to be on the menu for great whites," he said.

Zornig has clocked about 2,000 miles in the ocean, doing swims such as Long Beach to Catalina. He said he once encountered a 12- to 15-foot tiger shark near Hawaii that nearly ate his swimming partner.

"We grabbed the swimmer just as the shark was lunging for him," he said. "He hasn't been in the ocean since."

There have been several recent local reports of shark sightings in Orange County. One surfer at Dog Beach said his board was bitten by a great white shark.

According to Associated Press reports, the man attacked in San Diego had a single shark bite across both legs, Solana Beach Deputy Fire Chief Dismas Abelman said.

"It looks like the shark came up, bit him, and swam away," he said.

Several swimmers wearing wet suits were in a group when the shark attacked, Solana Beach lifeguard Craig Miller said.

Miller said two swimmers were about 20 yards ahead of the man when they heard him scream for help. They turned around and dragged him back to shore. He was declared dead at 7:49 a.m., Miller said.

Swimmers were ordered out of the water for a 17-mile stretch around Solano Beach and the county Sheriff's Department sent helicopters up to scan the waters for the shark.

"The shark is still in the area. We're sure of that," Mayor Joe Kellejian said.

In Orange County, there have been several shark sighting in the past few months reported to the Shark Research Committee, a nonprofit group that tracks shark attacks.

The last fatal shark attack in California, according to data from the state Department of Fish and Game, took place on Aug. 15, 2004, in Mendocino County at Kibesillah Rock. The victim was a man diving for abalone with a friend, according to wire reports.

On Aug. 19, 2003, a woman swimmer was killed by a great white at Avila Beach in San Luis Obispo County on the central California coast. That was the state's first fatal shark attack since 1994, according to Fish and Game.

The last fatal shark attack in San Diego County was in June 1959, when a free diver was killed, Fish and Game said.

Overall, shark attacks are extremely rare. There were 71 reported worldwide last year, up from 63 in 2006. Only one attack, in the South Pacific, was fatal, according to the University of Florida.

According to the Solana Beach Web site, there had never been a shark attack off Solana Beach, which is between Cardiff by the Sea and Del Mar, just south of Orange County.

"There have only been two shark sightings in these waters within the past 30 years, both of which were blue sharks who were injured and making their way into shallow water to die," a statement on the site says.

According to Ralph Collier, president of the Shark Research Committee, there have been few known cases of great whites in Southern California: A white shark was caught off the Huntington Beach pier two years ago. There was a fatal attack of a diver in 1959 in La Jolla. And a kayaker was killed in Malibu in 1989; the other kayaker's body was never found.

He confirmed the Huntington Beach incident was a great white, and planned on picking up the board for inspection.

Huntington Beach Marine Safety Lt. Mike Baumgartner said the guy who claimed the attack never saw a shark, and safety agencies haven't seen any first hand. Huntington Beach will remain open.

"It's the Pacific Ocean; that's where sharks live," he said. "At this point, we are operating as normal."

Collier said there have been 145 attacks on the Pacific Coast since 1900, and that great whites come here to give birth during spring.

There was a report as recent as April 10 claiming a shark sighting in Orange County. Mark Wilson said he was surfing at Bolsa Chica State Beach when he saw a triangular dorsal fin moving south about 20 yards from him. "The fin was about 12 inches high and grey/brown in color. It was not threatening in any way," according to the Web site.

T Park
04-26-2008, 11:38 AM
Solana?!?!

Holy crap, isn't that near Del mar?

Gulp :(

jman3000
04-26-2008, 11:47 AM
gay... they're probably gonna kill about 1000 sharks now to see if they can find the man eater.

duncan228
04-26-2008, 11:51 AM
Solana?!?!

Holy crap, isn't that near Del mar?

Gulp :(

Yes, just a bit north.

Fillmoe
04-26-2008, 11:51 AM
gay... they're probably gonna kill about 1000 sharks now to see if they can find the man eater.

Doubt it.

IceColdBrewski
04-26-2008, 12:48 PM

I think you've watched JAWS one too many times.

ShoogarBear
04-26-2008, 01:02 PM
ucMLFO6TsFM

I remember seeing this preview when it actually ran in theaters.

Good Times.

baseline bum
04-26-2008, 01:03 PM
Scared the hell out of me when I saw a shark while surfing at Redondo Beach last year. I got the hell out ASAP.

jman3000
04-26-2008, 01:15 PM
I think you've watched JAWS one too many times.

no... that's what they do when there is a fatal shark attack... there is generally some impetus put on finding the shark that did the killing and there is a search that goes out. killing a bunch of sharks calms the local residents and makes it look like things are safe again.

discovery channel is everyone's friend.

Condemned 2 HelLA
04-26-2008, 01:45 PM
no... that's what they do when there is a fatal shark attack... there is generally some impetus put on finding the shark that did the killing and there is a search that goes out. killing a bunch of sharks calms the local residents and makes it look like things are safe again.

Apparently, the great white species is protected, so even if the authorities mange to actually find the shark, there's nothing they can do to it.
Reports were that the beaches are still closed today, and that there are helicopters performing searches. Word is that there is a large seaweed bed not too far off shore, so the shark is either under that cover or it completely bolted altogether.

balli
04-26-2008, 02:18 PM
I go to Solana Beach and Del Mar every year (I even just referenced it in 4cc's most fucked up thread). Luckily I already have an irrational fear of the ocean but needless to say I'll take extra care not to go in the water next time.

TheSanityAnnex
04-26-2008, 04:53 PM
I've fished off the coast down there many times and seen plenty of sharks, but never a great white. That is fucking scary.

TheSanityAnnex
04-26-2008, 04:53 PM
I've fished off the coast down there many times and seen plenty of sharks, but never a great white. That is fucking scary.

TheSanityAnnex
04-26-2008, 04:54 PM
^^^
WTF? Scary

Elraptor
04-27-2008, 01:17 PM
Wouldn't that just suck to die for something like that. That just sucks. And is sad.

Jimcs50
04-27-2008, 01:44 PM

What do we expect? We over fish our oceans, so the sharks have to come in closer to shore just to survive....our planet is going to hell more each year.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-27-2008, 01:44 PM

They do that in Australia and South Africa. Out in Cali, they don't. They just shut down the beaches for a week or so and tell everyone the shark has moved on (which has some grounds in scientific research).

People always ask me about being worried about sharks while scuba diving. I have no fear of them there, mutual respect sure. But have been in the middle of shark feeds and never felt concerned for my safety.

That said, you couldn't pay me to swim or surf off the coasts of California, South Africa, Australia, Hawaii, or the Pacific side of Mexico.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-27-2008, 01:46 PM
What do we expect? We over fish our oceans, so the sharks have to come in closer to shore just to survive....our planet is going to hell more each year.

Bingo. Shark finning along kills something like 100 million sharks a year, and overfishing the rest of the ocean has dwindled the food supply for sharks. Hence, they come in closer.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-27-2008, 11:03 PM
Two bites (neither fatal) in Florida this weekend as well...

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/florida/sfl-427shartattacks,0,7508335.story

braeden0613
04-27-2008, 11:29 PM
I really hope we dont have to hear about this crap all summer

tlongII
04-28-2008, 12:45 PM
There have been no more shark attacks this year than usual. The sharks are always this close to shore. We have great whites off the coast of Oregon. We just don't have as many surfers so you don't hear about them.

2Blonde
04-28-2008, 02:05 PM
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/shark-beach-county-2026885-great-attack

Shark kills triathlon trainee in Solana Beach
By LAYLAN CONNELLY

The last fatal shark attack in California, according to data from the state Department of Fish and Game, took place on Aug. 15, 2004, in Mendocino County at Kibesillah Rock. The victim was a man diving for abalone with a friend, according to wire reports.

That last fatal shark attack... The diver was Randy Fry and he was my Mom's first cousin.

http://www.cdnn.info/safety/s040919/s040919.html

Trainwreck2100
04-28-2008, 02:09 PM
Sounds like the makings for another "Summer of the Shark"

tlongII
04-28-2008, 02:19 PM
That last fatal shark attack... The diver was Randy Fry and he was my Mom's first cousin.

http://www.cdnn.info/safety/s040919/s040919.html

I remember that. One of the most horrific shark attacks I've heard of. That was a nasty way to go.

G-Nob
04-28-2008, 02:20 PM
Thats Why I Never Go Into The Ocean!!