PDA

View Full Version : Possible Raptors-Knicks trade

Kori Ellis
01-20-2005, 12:17 PM
Isiah seeks to score Donyell and Jalen for Kurt and Penny

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/story/273086p-233815c.html

BY FRANK ISOLA
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

TORONTO - Isiah Thomas' month-long pursuit of Donyell Marshall and Jalen Rose has finally reached a point where the Knicks and Raptors are discussing a deal that would send Kurt Thomas and Penny Hardaway to Toronto.
According to a league source, Thomas and Rob Babcock, the Raptors general manager, exchanged phone calls yesterday in an attempt to hammer out a deal that would represent Thomas' first major roster move since he acquired Jamal Crawford from the Bulls in August.

More importantly, the deal would also change the way the Knicks play since Marshall, who would play power forward, is regarded as a perimeter player. The 6-11 Marshall had six 3-pointers in Monday's win over Minnesota and is averaging 10.5 points and 6.8 rebounds in 24.1minutes.

The under-rated Marshall, who has even played center for Toronto this season, is the player who interests Thomas most. However, Rose is also a proven scorer, averaging 14.9 points in 28.9 minutes. He also has a reputation of being a disruptive presence in the locker room, which is why Indiana, with Thomas as its coach, traded Rose three years ago.

The success of both the Phoenix Suns and Seattle Sonics has apparently encouraged Thomas to adopt a smaller and quicker style. The theory is that if the Knicks can spread the floor with shooters - Crawford, Marshall and Allan Houston - it would maximize Stephon Marbury's ability to penetrate and pass.

The one major risk is that the Knicks would be sacrificing defense. Kurt Thomas, a natural power forward, is the team's best low-post defender. He is also effective in playing the pick-and-roll game that is Marbury's strength. Isiah Thomas, however, may be convinced that unproven second-year forward Michael Sweetney is ready to play significant minutes.

Marshall, who is also coveted by Minnesota, is in the final year of his contract that will pay him $5 million. Marshall's agent, Andy Miller, refused to comment yesterday when asked about the possibility of the UConn product being traded to New York.

Rose is making $14.4 million, $15.9 million next year and $16.5 million in 2006-07. The Raptors have been looking to move his contract since last summer. The same is true of the Knicks and Hardaway, who asked to be traded two weeks ago and hasn't been seen or heard from since. Hardaway's contract expires after next season.

Rose and Isiah Thomas had a famous falling out when Thomas coached the Pacers. Rose who has since cleared the air with Thomas, reminded reporters that his relationship with Thomas dates back to when Rose was growing up in Detroit and Thomas played for the Pistons.

"At the end of the day, he wasn't the GM or the president of Indiana," Rose said. "Ultimately, he didn't make the decision to trade me."

Rose, however, is represented by renowned agent David Falk, who is an archenemy of Thomas. Falk publicly criticized Thomas last season after Thomas traded away another Falk client, Keith Van Horn. Former Knick Dikembe Mutombo said that Falk warned him last season that once Thomas became Knicks president he would look to trade the veteran center because of a strained relationship with the agent that dates back to Thomas' days as union president.

Last season, Mutombo and Thomas also had a disagreement. Thomas had suggested to Mutombo that he take some time off - "a vacation," the center called it - and rejoin the team right before the playoffs were to begin. Mutombo refused to take a forced leave of absence and was eventually traded to Chicago in the Crawford deal and then was rerouted to Houston.

ChumpDumper
01-20-2005, 12:23 PM
The one major risk is that the Knicks would be sacrificing defense. Kurt Thomas, a natural power forward, is the team's best low-post defender.Kurt even got the call to cover Eddy Curry against the Bulls. Both he and Marshall are underrated. This trade doesn't make a whole lot of sense for Toronto unless they plan on using Thomas as a center again. Getting rid of Jalen is worth the cost, I guess.

Medvedenko
01-20-2005, 12:30 PM
Jalen was money last night...as I was there watching...he's a very good player given the motivation, however he's sulked not getting the starting job. He does close out games though and is not bashful as the the go to guy. This would be good pick-up for the Knicks, however the Raps get back some quality guys that aren't known as malcontents and save some salary.

SPURS21
01-20-2005, 12:52 PM
The raps are prolly stupid enough to do this too

thats worse than the Vince trade

Donyell n Jalen were money last inte against the knicks, the raps are finally winning again

tekdragon
01-20-2005, 12:53 PM
Good trade for the Knicks.

I don't get it for the Raps, though. Two of your most talented players (though Rose is an ass and not worth what he's getting paid) for a flaming bag of crap, a yo-yo with no string and $3.50 in cap space at the end of the year? Why? Make a deal with Portland or something...

ducks
01-20-2005, 01:00 PM
could spurs get thomas later if trade goes thru

T Park
01-20-2005, 01:01 PM
IMO, I think Toronto is trying to totally clean house and clear cap room.

Trying to get rid of the goofballs like Carter and Rose.

ducks
01-20-2005, 01:06 PM
if they were trying to clean house why did they not trade for ray allen

he has a expriring contract
then they could turn around and trade allen for picks or a good player later

exstatic
01-20-2005, 01:18 PM
thats worse than the Vince trade

The Raps were 8-17 before that trade. They are 9-6 since. How, again, did it not work for them? Sometimes, addition by subtraction is the order of the day. They got rid of one malcontent, and are trying to get rid of another. Hats off to the TOR front office for attempting to clean out the babys and sulkers from their locker room.

SPURS21
01-20-2005, 01:43 PM
Vince's stat line last nite 33points, 9 boards, 9 assists, 2 stls

T Park
01-20-2005, 01:45 PM
ince's stat line last nite 33points, 9 boards, 9 assists, 2 stls

Good for him.

When a stiff breeze comes along hell be back on the IR so what?

exstatic
01-20-2005, 01:47 PM
Vince's stat line in Toronto this year: 8-17.

Vince's stat line in NJ this year: 5-8.

Vince is a loser and a baby.

T Park
01-20-2005, 01:48 PM
He makes Rasho Nesterovic look like Will Perdue.

tekdragon
01-20-2005, 01:48 PM
X...

True, but why take Penny? Trying to rid yourself of babies and sulkers so you trade for....

Penny Hardaway?

At least get a first-rounder out of the deal.

exstatic
01-20-2005, 01:56 PM
tek - They haven't said anything about draft picks yet. That's probably the sticking point, as it sounds like both teams are content with the players included. Toronto lifted two first rounder from the Nets, and frankly, they're going to suck (the Nets). I think Penny only has a year left, where as Jalen has three, so they're subtracting two years of whininess.

T Park
01-20-2005, 02:00 PM
and adding capspace.

To go after a Bobby Simmons, or whatever Free Agents are available this summer.

ducks
01-20-2005, 02:21 PM
if spurs had not signed tp
they would have went after tp

ShoogarBear
01-20-2005, 02:23 PM
if spurs had not signed tp
they would have went after tp

Man, just when I think I have reached the Nirvana of ducksdom, I find there is a Higher Level.

team-work
01-20-2005, 05:18 PM
i don't think Isiah Thomas is doing a good job himself after hearing about the trades after trades, while the team struggles to get to 50%. quality-wise the players are good, though not of championship caliber, e.g. Kurt Thomas is the one they can't afford to lose, unless they get someone much more brilliant.

Rick Von Braun
01-20-2005, 05:30 PM
Man, just when I think I have reached the Nirvana of ducksdom, I find there is a Higher Level.
:lol

Useruser666
01-20-2005, 05:40 PM
If the Spurs spent money like NY we could sign Shaq, Kidd, and Boozer. NY is one messed up team salary-wise.

Mark in Austin
01-20-2005, 08:24 PM
its funny... after all the drama and moves thomas has made, the knicks are almost exactly where they were record-wise as they were under Layden.

Isiah Thomas was a great player, but as stops in Toronto, the CBA, and now NY proves, he's at best an average GM.

exstatic
01-20-2005, 08:38 PM
Isiah Thomas was a great player, but as stops in Toronto, the CBA, and now NY proves, he's at best an average GM.

I think you are giving him the benefit of the doubt calling him average.

Brodels
01-21-2005, 06:59 AM
I think you are giving him the benefit of the doubt calling him average.

I agree. It seems like he hasn't established any kind of clear direction for that team. They don't have an identity at all, and it's hard to see what he's trying to make them become.

The Pistons and Spurs are defensive, grind-it-out teams. The Suns are a high-flying offensive act. The Knicks? It doesn't look like they are working towards any kind of identity. The trades Thomas makes don't seem to fit into some greater philisophy of where he wants to be.

I just don't understand what he's trying to do.