PDA

View Full Version : Prince/KSU in talks for extension, rest of Big 12 celebrates

SrA Husker
04-26-2008, 09:46 PM
I hope this isn't just a belated April Fools.

Calling it a work in progress, Kansas State athletics director Bob Krause confirmed to The Manhattan Mercury today that contract extension talks are on-going with Wildcat football coach Ron Prince.

"This is something that started last fall," Krause said. "We had over 200 recruits and family members in this past weekend (for the spring game), and obviously we want to send the right message to recruits that we're very committed to this program and the staff. There's a plan in place and the plan is being worked."

Krause said that Prince was given a five-year contract when hired in December of 2006, which included an automatic additional year after the first season. That leaves Prince with a current K-State contract that would extend through the 2011 season. Krause declined to give any particulars to the current contract discussions in terms of length or salary, but hoped that an agreement would be made before the start of summer camp.

http://www.themercury.com/k-statesports/article.aspx?articleId=e80472f0f9884b99ae29bddc092 c32fa

K-State Spur
04-26-2008, 09:56 PM
pretty funny coming from the school that gave Callahan a MONSTER extension then fired him a few months later.

pot/kettle/black mean anything to you.

SrA Husker
04-26-2008, 10:27 PM
pretty funny coming from the school that gave Callahan a MONSTER extension then fired him a few months later.

pot/kettle/black mean anything to you.

Not really. Callahan was coming off a career year, taking a team to the CCG and a January 1st bowl game. There was plenty of reason to give him that extension. Unfortunately, no one could predict that the players would quit on him the way they did the next season. Kansas State is coming off a year where they failed to make a bowl game and had to cancel a home game against Fresno State because the non-BCS competition was going to be too tough.

K-State Spur
04-26-2008, 10:52 PM
do you understand how this stuff works - you give an extension (along with an un-publicized buyout) so as to help recruiting for the upcoming season as kids do not want to sign with a school that may be losing their coach.

either you understand how this stuff works and are just willing to bitch about any and everything you can find regarding KSU.

or you don't understand how this stuff works - in which case you should just admit it so your opinion can be ignored for here forth.

SrA Husker
04-26-2008, 11:00 PM
No, I understand fully how it works. I also know that when giving extension contracts, the buyout is typically higher (or else why would the coach sign the extension?). So even if this is just a ploy, KSU is out a bunch more money.

K-State Spur
04-27-2008, 09:58 AM
No, I understand fully how it works. I also know that when giving extension contracts, the buyout is typically higher (or else why would the coach sign the extension?). So even if this is just a ploy, KSU is out a bunch more money.

why wouldn't he sign the extension with a similar buyout (there's no downside from his perspective)? without the extension, it makes recruiting more difficult for him. why give yourself a higher degree of difficulty?

and i never said it was a ploy. he certainly has had some low points. the first 20 games of his coaching career looked like a terrific hire, then we collapsed down the stretch by epic proportions.

but he went bowling in his first year, and still has 2 wins over top 10 teams in 2 years. by comparison, UNL hasn't beaten a top 15 team in 7 years.

the big worry is that some of the guys seemed to give up on him last year. however, since these guys were by and large former Snyder players, it's tougher lay the full blame of that on Prince. we'll know a lot more about him over the next 2 years.

He's 7-9 against the Big 12 so far. That's not good. But it's not terribly embarrassing to the point that the rest of the conference should rejoice.