PDA

View Full Version : Mike Monroe: Suns still searching for answers vs. Spurs

wijayas
04-27-2008, 02:20 AM
Web Posted: 04/27/2008 12:32 AM CDT

Mike Monroe
San Antonio Express-News

PHOENIX — His team faced with a situation that has guaranteed playoff elimination through 60 years of NBA history, Suns coach Mike D’Antoni searched Saturday for inspiration from any source.

As he analyzed the implications of Tony Parker’s sudden emergence as a deadeye perimeter shooter, D’Antoni said the Spurs’ offensive versatility has his players’ heads on swivels.

“Before (Game 3) it was all in the paint and fast-break points,” D’Antoni said. “We took care of those two things, and now we have to take care of the outside shots.

“I think it was Yogi Berra who said, ‘Hit them where they ain’t.’ That’s where they hit us.”

In fact, it was baseball Hall of Famer Wee Willie Keeler whose approach to hitting was simplified in the oft-quoted aphorism.

D’Antoni’s point, though, was no less valid.

Besides, the Suns coach could be forgiven for having Berra, baseball’s master of the malaprop, on his mind. Berra, not Keeler, said, “It ain’t over until it’s over.”

The playoffs will be over for the Suns unless they can find a solution today to a Spurs attack that has produced a huge edge in points in the paint, fast-break points and, in Game 3, perimeter scoring.

Adjustments?

D’Antoni said he ran through everything in his defensive playbook Friday night trying to limit the Spurs’ pick-and-roll success.

“We tried to ‘show,’.” he said. “We tried to trap. We tried a zone. We tried to force them left, tried to force them right, tried to go under, tried to push up.

“They had an answer for everything.”

Steve Nash, the Suns’ two-time MVP point guard, understands his team isn’t configured to properly defend the Spurs’ pick-and-roll attack.

“I think, ideally, you’d like to trap pick and rolls,” he said. “I’m not sure we have the personnel to do that. It would be nice to get the ball out of (Tony’s) hands with hard show. Right now, we’re kind of laying our bigs way back. It kind of gives Manu (Ginobili) and Tony freedom to do a lot of things out there.

“It would be nice to see if we could adjust a little bit tomorrow.”

D’Antoni knows that focusing all his defensive emphasis on taking the ball out of Parker’s hands risks leaving too many other Spurs with open shots.

As far as Nash is concerned, it is worth a try.

“Right now,” he said, “I think I’d like to see those other problems.”

In fact, the greater problem for the Suns is restoring belief that the impossible is attainable.

The example the Suns need to follow?

The Spurs’ response to double-digit adversity in both Games 1 and 2. :toast

“We’ve just got to play hard and compete,” said Nash. “Give yourself a chance for things to happen for you. I think that’s what they did in Game 1 and Game 2. We had good leads in both games and they just kept competing and stuck with it and gave themselves a chance for something to happen.

“We have to have the same resilience.”

D’Antoni saw his team’s spirit broken Friday and did his best to mend it during a brief Saturday practice session.

“Our theme is: Win Sunday, and set ourselves up for a miracle,” D’Antoni said. “Give ourselves a chance. Why not?

“I didn’t have any coaching to do today. They’re ready to go. We know we need to win on Sunday, and we’re going to give it our best shot.

“We’ll see if it’s good enough.”

Kori Ellis
04-27-2008, 02:21 AM
D’Antoni said he ran through everything in his defensive playbook Friday night trying to limit the Spurs’ pick-and-roll success.

What? We are supposed to believe that D'Antoni has a defensive playbook?! :lmao

5xhulZeZUh0

dastrey
04-27-2008, 03:16 AM
“Our theme is: Win Sunday, and set ourselves up for a miracle,” D’Antoni said. “Give ourselves a chance. Why not?

“I didn’t have any coaching to do today. They’re ready to go. We know we need to win on Sunday, and we’re going to give it our best shot.

:lmao

SouthernFried
04-27-2008, 03:25 AM
You'd think he'd wanna coach the last game he'll have in Phoenix.

Seems he's given up before his team has.

m33p0
04-27-2008, 03:39 AM

its written on table napkin.

MaNuMaNiAc
04-27-2008, 03:45 AM

5xhulZeZUh0

:lmao man, what movie does this remind me of??

damn, that shit is going to bug me to no end...

Warlord23
04-27-2008, 08:50 AM

Well maybe a few less rah-rah chants and "Let's Go!" cheers could have a positive effect on the Suns' players. You could tell they were tired of listening to this broken record for 85 games.

YoMamaIsCallin
04-27-2008, 09:28 AM
"Tired's not in our vocabulary" ?????

wow. How asinine.

Can you imagine Popovich saying something completely lame like that? Or how many sarcastic comments he'd get back from the players if he did?

The Suns players must be thinking, "Try coming out here and playing, Mr. 'Tired's not in our vocabulary'".

K-State Spur
04-27-2008, 10:23 AM
You know, it's not like the team was throwing in a bunch of turnaround 3s like the Warriors did against the Mavs last year.

These were wide open 12 footers. On more days that not, the Spurs are going to knock these shots down. Maybe not the tune of Friday night, but not far off either.

diego
04-27-2008, 01:46 PM
d'antoni is incredible. possibly his last game as coach, and he says he's not doing anything to the media. its like he wants to be fired