PDA

View Full Version : Attention Suns trolls especially Princess Pimp!

Louie Vega
04-27-2008, 02:28 AM
Your own beat writers in Phoenix are closet Spurs fans!

The aftershock of Game 3
Was it a crack or a thud? Was it the sound of hearts breaking or a window finally closing?

Whatever that terrible noise was Friday night, the aftershock of Game 3 has turned the Valley into a somber, muted, humble place. It must be how Michael Spinks felt when he tasted Mike Tyson's fist. And it would be really nice if these splintering Suns could win just one game before checking out for the summer, thus denying a San Antonio broomstick party in Phoenix Sunday afternoon.

No one is ready for that.

Ugh. This is beyond nauseating. The Spurs are leading 3-0 in this series because of one miracle shot (Tim Duncan's 3-pointer in the opener), one perfect game (Game 3), and one hellacious, 12-minute mugging (the third quarter of Game 2). But it all seems to represent something bigger.

It wasn't long ago that the Spurs were struggling to score 80 points a game. They looked old, vulnerable, even preferable as a first-round draw. As silly as it seems now, the Suns once were extremely confident in their ability to match up against their nemesis. And heading into Game 1 of this series, the Suns actually were inside the Spurs' heads a little bit.

"Yes, you always have doubts," Spurs star Manu Ginobili said. "We were not playing good, except for that last game in Utah. We were not scoring well. We were not moving the ball well. We didn't look good."

Now the Spurs look like a team that has won four championship trophies in the past nine years, about to reduce the Suns to nothing but a footprint in the path of a dynasty. The transformation in this series has been stunning, so much that the Spurs didn't even bother to practice Saturday. They met the media in their posh Biltmore hotel and then dispersed for the afternoon.

"It's been seven years," Spurs guard Tony Parker said. "We've been doing the same things. We have the same core players. We have great coaches and a great organization, and I think it just works for us."

As a head coach, it must be nice to have a team so focused and driven, and as much as this might be sacrilege in the Valley, it's hard not to respect the bedrock of these Spurs.

At the very least, you wish our sixth man from South America (Leandro Barbosa) could be more like theirs (Ginobili). You wish our French player (Boris Diaw) had the drive and motor of their French player (Tony Parker). You wish our defensive stopper (Raja Bell) were more like their defensive stopper (Bruce Bowen), the one who put Nash through the ringer in Game 3.

But as you look about the Spurs, there are other poignant faces attached to our struggle, such as Kurt Thomas'. The Suns once acquired him as an antidote to Duncan, let him go for cost measures, and then he resurfaced in San Antonio as a defensive option against Shaquille O'Neal.

By the way, Kurt seems very happy to be missed so much.

There also is Brent Barry and Michael Finley, players the Suns courted in recent years when they desperately were trying to keep their championship puzzle intact on the fly and on the cheap, with a constant eye on the budget. They all are symbols for what is happening here in Phoenix, and it's not pretty.

Of course, we all know when it began. It began when Robert Sarver wouldn't budge another $5 million to satisfy Joe Johnson, who wanted a $50 million extension. That led to the Diaw myth, the Diaw contract extension and, ultimately, this 3-0 deficit against the Spurs.

Back in time, when that awe-inspiring, hugely popular, high-flying team from 2004-05 was busting apart over money, the worst fear was that someday we'd look back with no parades in our hearts and no rings on their fingers. We'd wonder what happened to our championship-caliber team and how it all slipped away.

That's what it felt like Saturday. And it would be really nice if the Suns could show some pride, win a game and change the script just a little bit.

Saturday, April 26, 2008 at 06:22 PM
Report a Violation
Topics: SPORTS, suns, NBA, Spurs, dan bickle

http://www.azcentral.com/members/Blog/DanBickley/22444

BATMAN
04-27-2008, 02:35 AM
Its not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

DAF86
04-27-2008, 02:36 AM
Joe Johnson should learn from Tim and Manu. But then again that's why Tim and Manu are future HOF and Joe Johnson is... well, Joe Johnson.

MaNuMaNiAc
04-27-2008, 03:08 AM
That's what it felt like Saturday. And it would be really nice if the Suns could show some pride, win a game and change the script just a little bit.

Saturday, April 26, 2008 at 06:22 PM
Report a Violation
Topics: SPORTS, suns, NBA, Spurs, dan bickle

Too easy? :D

m33p0
04-27-2008, 03:15 AM
Getting the broom would be the ultimate humiliation.

Ouch!

Dario
04-27-2008, 03:31 AM
Wow, that is actually a nice article by suns writer

SpursIndonesia
04-27-2008, 06:57 AM
Joe Johnson should learn from Tim and Manu. But then again that's why Tim and Manu are future HOF and Joe Johnson is... well, Joe Johnson.

50 mil 6 yrs contract for Joe Johnson in summer 2005 wasn't something you can call ridiculous, even back then when he was merely an up and coming young player.

What do you think if Holt decided not to fullfill Tony's 66 mil contract demand back then, sticking with his best offer of 60 mil, and Tony decided to go to a greener pasture out there ? That just showed such a shortsighted and penny pinching attitude of an owner out of Sarver, stupid.

wijayas
04-27-2008, 07:19 AM
I said this before. We need Princess Pimp to make Spurstalk "interesting" and "alive". Don't run him out... We need a punching bag once in a while. Ha!

raspsa
04-27-2008, 07:22 AM
Worth reading.. Suns Blogs particularly the game 3 recap.
http://www.brightsideofthesun.com/

DAF86
04-27-2008, 07:23 AM
50 mil 6 yrs contract for Joe Johnson in summer 2005 wasn't something you can call ridiculous, even back then when he was merely an up and coming young player.

What do you think if Holt decided not to fullfill Tony's 66 mil contract demand back then, sticking with his best offer of 60 mil, and Tony decided to go to a greener pasture out there ? That just showed such a shortsighted and penny pinching attitude of an owner out of Sarver, stupid.

If Tony'd have decided to go to another team because of money then he'd have proven to be very stupid and not deserving of beign a Spur.

I didn't know Tony demanded more money, he's lost a lot of points in my personal spurs valuation. If Duncan and Ginobili accepted less money to have a better team you can't bitch 'bout money. I'm very disappointed right now :depressed

Alain
04-27-2008, 07:33 AM
Tony would have certainly found a crappy team willing to offer him much more than what he gets with the Spurs. And he still had the Kidd fiasco in his head...

RuffnReadyOzStyle
04-27-2008, 07:47 AM
If Tony'd have decided to go to another team because of money then he'd have proven to be very stupid and not deserving of beign a Spur.

I didn't know Tony demanded more money, he's lost a lot of points in my personal spurs valuation. If Duncan and Ginobili accepted less money to have a better team you can't bitch 'bout money. I'm very disappointed right now :depressed

You misunderstand what happened. Tony's agent bid high, Holt bid low, they came to an agreement in the middle, and Tony could have gotten more elsewhere. No reason for Tony to lose points in anyone's estimation. As a top 5 PG in the league he is underpaid at 11mil/yr.

wijayas
04-27-2008, 08:11 AM
You misunderstand what happened. Tony's agent bid high, Holt bid low, they came to an agreement in the middle, and Tony could have gotten more elsewhere. No reason for Tony to lose points in anyone's estimation. As a top 5 PG in the league he is underpaid at 11mil/yr.

Of the big three (Tim, Many, Tony), Tony is the one most likely to bolt for the brighter lights of L.A. or New York. Afterall, he's got Eva who is used to life in the brighter side of the country. So, let's hope Holt has enough in the wallet to keep Tony.

jmard5
04-27-2008, 08:22 AM

Just a question, guys. Duncan and Bowen (and Ginobili?) agreed for lesser salaries. Parker receives less than the other PGs in the league. But don't teams (and their players) receive incentives when they go deep into the playoffs and then win championships?

I know the rings are expensive. But other than that, are they "richer" due to the added incentives and benefits?

:wtf

5ToolMan
04-27-2008, 09:06 AM
Of the big three (Tim, Many, Tony), Tony is the one most likely to bolt for the brighter lights of L.A. or New York. Afterall, he's got Eva who is used to life in the brighter side of the country. So, let's hope Holt has enough in the wallet to keep Tony.

I don't think Eva will have any impact on Tony going anywhere. In fact, she may be "pushing him" to stay. Eva is a down home Texas girl, and they both know Tony is in the best place to build his NBA legacy.

The big stars of today don't live only in New York or LA. Most have their own private spread out of the hustle and bustle and use private jets when they want to get to a media event or just go play.

YoMamaIsCallin
04-27-2008, 09:18 AM

They're building a 20,000 square foot house here. And LA is less than 3 hours by plane from here.

JMarkJohns
04-27-2008, 09:23 AM
Considering Sarver was offering six years, 45 million, the counter of six years, 50 million shouldn't have forced him to get all huffy and run JJ out of town.

Other than that tidbit that I picked up, I don't read Bickley. If I wanted to get dumber from an activity, I can think of any number of things more fun than his columns.

PlayoffEx-static
04-27-2008, 09:30 AM
Just a question, guys. Duncan and Bowen (and Ginobili?) agreed for lesser salaries. Parker receives less than the other PGs in the league. But don't teams (and their players) receive incentives when they go deep into the playoffs and then win championships?

I know the rings are expensive. But other than that, are they "richer" due to the added incentives and benefits?

:wtf

Any "incentives" are built into the cost of the contract. There is a pot of playoff money that the team splits, but for any player making real money it's a pittance.

For example, the 2006 champion Heat would have received a total pot of $2,548,637. That would have been for the whole team. Then they usually vote shares or partial shares for coaches, trainers, etc.

If you just split that amount among the minimum of 13 players and selfishly gave nothing to anyone else, it would be $196,049 for what essentially amounts to another quarter to one third of a season. For players making $15,000,000M, that's a pittance.

PlayoffEx-static
04-27-2008, 09:34 AM
Oh, and I went on record in 2005 as saying they should have dumped Marion then and PAID Joe Johnson. Marion is a defender, but is pretty limited offensively. Joe Johnson can do it all, and would have definitely drawn the Bowen assignment, leaving Nash free to operate. They also haven't really had anyone to spell Nash effectively when he's on the bench since JJ left town.

JMarkJohns
04-27-2008, 09:38 AM
Oh, and I went on record in 2005 as saying they should have dumped Marion then and PAID Joe Johnson. Marion is a defender, but is pretty limited offensively. Joe Johnson can do it all, and would have definitely drawn the Bowen assignment, leaving Nash free to operate. They also haven't really had anyone to spell Nash effectively when he's on the bench since JJ left town.

I said similar as well. I said they probably could have dumped Marion on teams like the Bulls or the Clippers, if not even the Hawks, received a decent talent in return, but because said teams were under the CAP, they could have eaten a few million more, saving the Suns some money.

But then, Amare went down, the Thomas trade didn't work and with JJ, we wouldn't have had Diaw or James Jones, so the frontcourt that year would have been Tim Thomas, and that would have been until late in the regular season.