PDA

View Full Version : NBC SPORTS: In comeback for the ages, Lakers will win title!

spurscenter
04-27-2008, 03:12 AM
oh boy, here we go
The infamous 2000-2002 LAKERS starstruck national media come out from their holes. lol

I have been waiting for these people since they got #1 seed

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/24129059/site/21683474/

In comeback for the ages, Lakers will win title

Yes, Kobe is spoiled, but he has the ability to will a team to a championship
By Michael Ventre

It was only last May that Kobe Bryant had advanced to the finals. He got past the first round of interviews ripping the Lakers and demanding a trade, then burrowed through the second round of interviews, then the third round, all the while showing the determination for which he has become renowned.

Then he reached the finals, which in this scenario was represented by a few half-hearted phone calls to the Chicago Bulls by the Lakers regarding a possible trade of their superstar.

That kind of experience at this time of year is invaluable, because soon Bryant should make the jump from those dubious finals of last year’s spring of discontent to the 2008 NBA Finals, where he will celebrate a championship.

My, how far he has come.

For that matter, the Lakers themselves have experienced a personal and professional odyssey that has brought them to or near the top of the elite free-for-all that is the Western Conference race. They now have that look in their eyes that comes from assessing each other and the way they’re performing and concluding, “We got it.”

Kobe Bryant is the most prominent beneficiary of this sudden ascension to power, but he is by no means the only one. Just about every Laker has improved in some way, and the parts have made the whole into an enviable collection of talent, experience and hunger.

To say that the Lakers will win it all this year is not to diminish the opposition, because the other contenders — especially in the West — are all confident and committed. This will not be a saunter, but rather a slog, and uphill at that. And when the Lakers wade through the West, they will very likely meet up with the Boston Celtics, their storied rivals who are feeling as good about themselves as the Lakers are about themselves.

But for a variety of reasons, this crown will end up in Laker Nation, an unfathomable notion less than a year ago.

First and foremost, there is defense. These Lakers aren’t nearly as consistently suffocating on defense as the Celtics, but they have been more effective than the giveaway spree of last season, when they were 25th in the NBA in points allowed, serving up an average of over 103 per contest.

This year, the Lakers contest shots. They would challenge even more shooters if they had Andrew Bynum in the lineup. But he’s been out since Jan. 13 with a knee injury, and although the club keeps releasing news flashes of hope on the subject, he will probably be of no help during these playoffs.

But without Bynum, the Lakers still have people who like to swat shots. Pau Gasol and Lamar Odom are the two most notable, but Ronny Turiaf and Bryant also like to get in on the act. And before they even try to block shots, harassers like Jordan Farmar and Derek Fisher are active in stripping the ball.

In general, the Lakers have a defensive mentality that wasn’t there last year, and their ability to keep the opponents’ score down has taken pressure off their offense.

Yet their offense is much improved also. The addition of Gasol, who has been good for more than 18 points and eight rebounds a game, has given the Lakers a championship dimension. It has relieved the scoring burden resting on Kobe, and it also has freed up Odom to play some of the best basketball he has exhibited since he came into the league.

When the big three of Bryant, Gasol and Odom are in need of aide, they’ve gotten it all year with a vastly improved supporting cast that includes Fisher, Farmer, Luke Walton, Vladimir Radmanovic, Sasha Vujacic and Turiaf.

Fisher has been especially important in bringing a championship glow to this assemblage, because he reflects a time earlier this century when Phil Jackson and the Lakers ruled the NBA for three straight seasons. He has been a calming influence on the once-frustrated Bryant, and he has mentored the kids.

All of that is nice, of course. But there is nothing like doing it on the court entering the playoffs.

The Lakers have been a curiosity on the NBA scene this year. Their rags-to-riches tale has been a popular topic among pundits, who can’t recall anything quite like it — except, of course, for what the Celtics did in the offseason by getting Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen.

But in the Lakers’ case, it all goes back to Kobe and his rounds of interviews last year. He is the best player in the game (and he might even win the MVP). He is also the most spoiled. He wants what he wants, without regard to whose feathers he ruffles.

He declared most emphatically that he wanted to win a championship. Nothing else would do. And he wanted out because he knew he couldn’t win one with the team he had last season.

Now there are no excuses. Sure, it would be nice to have Bynum, and even Trevor Ariza. Still, with this team the Lakers smoked both their chief rivals at the top of the Western Conference last week, the Hornets on Friday and the Spurs on Sunday (although San Antonio was without Manu Ginobili). Bryant looks around him now and realizes that he has the reinforcements he needed.

Bryant is the kind of player who can will a team to victory, so long as he has a complete team. He has no peer in the NBA in that department. For all his faults, nobody can put a club on his back the way Bryant can and lead them to victory.

These are the Finals he belongs in. These are the Finals he will come out of looking like a hero.

Michael Ventre writes regularly for NBCSports.com and is a freelance writer based in Los Angeles. LOL
URL: http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/24129059/site/21683474/

MSN Privacy . Legal
© 2008 NBCSports.com

DAF86
04-27-2008, 03:19 AM
Bryant is the kind of player who can will a team to victory, so long as he has a complete team. He has no peer in the NBA in that department.

I guess this dumbfuck didn't watch what Tim did on game 1.

SouthernFried
Didn't take 'em long to roll off Shaq's wagon and onto Kobe's.

They'll ride Kobe until he's gone, then will take up Boston's until the Finals.

Then they'll grudgingly crown the Spurs and try again next year.

...so it goes.

m33p0
NBC has a sports section?!?

Allanon
04-27-2008, 03:34 AM
The Lakers have a complete team, no real weaknesses. Their defense is above average and their offense is great. They have a well balanced talented bench.

When Bynum went down, that pretty much ended their season. But the Grizzlies saved the day and now they're chugging along again.

The 3 teams who can win it this year are the Celtics, Spurs and Lakers. Pistons seem to be laying an egg and no other East team has a chance against Lakers or Spurs. I'm not sure if the Celtics will even make it to the Finals, their 2nd round opponent looks to be the Wizards.

Spurs have the disadvantage of being in a much more difficult bracket. I thought the Suns would do much better but so far they've laid down. Hornets/Mavs should put up a better fight. The Lakers are strolling through the Nuggets and will stroll through the Jazz so they'll be much more rested.

The Lakers winning the Championship this year would be no shocker and would probably be the favored team in all games except those played in Boston.

No real news there.

J.T.
04-27-2008, 03:35 AM
Nice work stealing my countdown banner, but you can go ahead and keep it.

MaNuMaNiAc
04-27-2008, 03:41 AM
The Lakers have a complete team, no real weaknesses. Their defense is above average and their offense is great. They have a well balanced talented bench.

When Bynum went down, that pretty much ended their season. But the Grizzlies saved the day and now they're chugging along again.

The 3 teams who can win it this year are the Celtics, Spurs and Lakers. Spurs have the disadvantage of being in a much more difficult bracket. I thought the Suns would do much better but so far they've laid down. Hornets/Mavs should put up a better fight. The Lakers are strolling through the Nuggets and will stroll through the Jazz so they'll be much more rested.

The Lakers winning the Championship this year would be no shocker and would probably be the favored team in all games except those played in Boston.

No real news there.

Not surprisingly, the Suns were favored to win the first round as well... and they got trampled. Same thing is going to happen to your new age Lakers.

Allanon
04-27-2008, 03:43 AM
Possibly. They just have a more difficult bracket to get through first so I think that gives the Lakers the edge. In addition, they have HCA.

I wouldn't be shocked if the Spurs win it all either.

Medvedenko
04-27-2008, 03:49 AM
I still think we're 1 year out from serious contention, and I wouldn't be surprised if we got bounced next round either. But, my boys are playing really well right now and will have Ariza back for the second round, which will be huge. Oh, and maybe Bynum comes back as well, but still too many variables. The spurs are still the team to beat out West. It wouldn't be a shame to lose to the Spurs if we face them.

Shaolin-Style
04-27-2008, 03:52 AM
The majority picked the Suns to cream us.
The majority are also picking the Lakers or Boston to fuck up everyone.

All the spurs can do is hope they keep changing some minds and proving predictions wrong, and hopefully that'll start tomorrow.

I will say if the Spurs don't do it, I know its gonna be whoever from the West after seeing Boston last night.

td_tp_manu
04-27-2008, 03:55 AM

The 3 teams who can win it this year are the Celtics, Spurs and Lakers. Pistons seem to be laying an egg and no other East team has a chance against Lakers or Spurs. I'm not sure if the Celtics will even make it to the Finals, their 2nd round opponent looks to be the Wizards.

Spurs have the disadvantage of being in a much more difficult bracket. I thought the Suns would do much better but so far they've laid down. Hornets/Mavs should put up a better fight. The Lakers are strolling through the Nuggets and will stroll through the Jazz so they'll be much more rested.

No real news there.

It's funny that the Spurs-Suns series doesn't do much in convincing people how great Spurs is, instead people start to believe "Suns have obvious weeknesses" - don't forget who made them obvious:nope

And Lakers better be prepared for a tough war against Jazz:hat

Allanon
04-27-2008, 04:00 AM
Timmy was awesome in the first game.

The 2nd two games were pure brilliance from the Spurs and Pop. I don't think any team could have done those 2 games any better.

The Jazz I'm not worried about..5 games or less, I'm just hoping the Rockets don't make it, them I would be worried about.

td_tp_manu
04-27-2008, 04:07 AM
Timmy was awesome in the first game.

The 2nd two games were pure brilliance from the Spurs and Pop. I don't think any team could have done those 2 games any better.

The Jazz I'm not worried about..5 games or less, I'm just hoping the Rockets don't make it, them I would be worried about.

:wow I'm actually a semi-Rockets fan and don't think Rockets are by no means showing the kind of threats that Jazz have...

Allanon
04-27-2008, 04:14 AM
It's not the threat so much, most of the West teams can take out the Rockets pretty easily ... except for the Lakers.

Lakers don't match up well with the Rockets and don't do well against teams that win because of athleticism and hustle (ie. Rockets, Blazers, Grizzlies, Bobcats, Supersonics). Battier does an excellent job of containing Kobe one on one.

Jazz are a much easier matchup because they don't have a good defender for Kobe & Pau. The lack of a Kobe defender is much like the Nuggets series, you'll either have to defend him with your small forward or double-team him. If you take your big man to guard him, Luke Walton scores 15 points a game. If you double-team, Pau gets 36 points. If you guard him one on one with an inferior defender, Kobe gets 49.

spurscenter
04-27-2008, 04:43 AM
Nice work stealing my countdown banner, but you can go ahead and keep it.

yo, sorry , but i love it, I think I stole it from Kori signature.

thanks

sprrs
04-27-2008, 04:49 AM
Not surprisingly, the Suns were favored to win the first round as well... and they got trampled. Same thing is going to happen to your new age Lakers.

It is true though that the Lakers have a much easier road to the finals and if the Spurs make it to the third round, they could be much more tired than the Lakers.

spurscenter
04-27-2008, 04:53 AM
Lakers road to the WCF is so easy.

This is good for the spurs, Lakers will come to the WCF arrogant as F.

they will collapse once spurs start their game plan.

the only thing that would worry me is not having Home Court but as long as we get 1 in LA , we cool

NuGGeTs-FaN
04-27-2008, 04:57 AM
they should have an asterix against any title this season. Gasol trade will always be remembered because of obvious collusion.

Stern of course wouldnt do anything coz he gets closer to his wet dream of a Lakers-Celtics finals

wijayas
04-27-2008, 08:19 AM
It's funny that the Spurs-Suns series doesn't do much in convincing people how great Spurs is, instead people start to believe "Suns have obvious weeknesses" - don't forget who made them obvious:nope

And Lakers better be prepared for a tough war against Jazz:hat

:toast :toast :toast

SAGambler
04-27-2008, 08:28 AM

No real news there.

A. That is going to be a tough series. Even if the Lakers manage to get out of Denver without players being hurt. Utah plays a physical game, and I'm not sure how much another physical series is going to affect them.

SAGambler
04-27-2008, 08:32 AM
they should have an asterix against any title this season. Gasol trade will always be remembered because of obvious collusion.

Stern of course wouldnt do anything coz he gets closer to his wet dream of a Lakers-Celtics finals

And I'm surprised that nothing has been said of Utah releasing Fish, so he could go back to LA because of his daughter. He has probably been the one solidifier on that team.

Then when you throw in Gasol for a box crackers and a jar of peanut butter, well, if they win it all, there certainly should be an *beside it.

Pulgoso
04-27-2008, 09:07 AM
Oh boy, not yet. Just think about this...
Bruce Bowen and Ime Udoka will simply shutdown Kobe Bryant and let Tim Duncan take care of Pau Gasol. The rest can play around with Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker. Although Lakers did a big improvement this year and Kobe Bryant as the MVP this year they are one of the thoughest team in the West along with Utah Jazz. But the Spurs are still the best team in the West overall. They did not made it to be the no 1 in the West because of injuries of the Big Three players. Lakers overall as a team most of all they need to have a great mental toughness. That simple. Just watch and remember this.

Pulgoso
04-27-2008, 09:16 AM
Lakers have not seen nothing yet from the champions. What they've seen playing with the Spurs in regular season is not their real championship game. Unless Spurs will lose one of their big three in the rest of the play-off games Spurs still be the team to pick to win the West because of their championship experience. Championship game will be Spurs vs. Celtics. That will be a hell a nice match.