PDA

View Full Version : On D'Antoni putting the starters back in...

GSH
04-27-2008, 09:59 PM
With a 21 point lead, only 5:44 left, and all of the Spurs' subs in the game, D'Antoni put Stoudamire and Bell back in the game - along with Diaw, who hadn't been to the bench at all. A lot of thoughts went through my mind, but after a few seconds I realized, "This is a man living in complete terror of the Spurs. He actually thinks his team could still lose."

And you know what? He was right. If the Spurs got a few stops, and maybe hit a couple of 3's along the way, that 21 points could have been 11 or 12 with 4:00 left in the game. And D'Antoni knows that's a lead they could lose. And he would have looked like an even bigger tool than Avery did last year, if he let this one get away from them.

The Spurs fans watching the game saw our starters on the sidelines with ice bags on their knees, on a day when everything was going the Suns' way. I think we all counted the game as being over. And from the looks of things, so did Pop. But D'Antoni actually saw the possibility of the game slipping away. Call it respect or, like I do, call it fear... but Mike D'Antoni knows how dangerous the Spurs are, even on a bad day.

I think it was a mistake to have the starters in the game that late in the fourth quarter. But who knows the Suns limitations better than Mike D'Antoni? If he thought it was necessary...heh...it probably was.

Strike
04-27-2008, 10:05 PM
Today was a last ditch effort to avoid complete humiliation.

I think bringing starters back in was a 2 tier plan.

1. Run up the score a little to try and deflate the Spurs.
2. Make sure that his team wouldn't give up the lead.

I have no problem with it. I see no reason why a team should "take it easy" when they are dominating their opponent. You play to win. If you can win big, win big.

With that said, one look at the Spurs bench in the 4th quarter showed me that the Spurs weren't worried, deflated, beaten down, whatever you want to call it. I saw a team that realized they took a dump and knew they'd be back in Texas for the next game.

Spurs close this shit out in 5.

td4mvp21
04-27-2008, 10:06 PM
I didn't see anything wrong with it. I would have wanted Pop to do the same-you never know in the NBA.

GSH
04-27-2008, 10:26 PM
With that said, one look at the Spurs bench in the 4th quarter showed me that the Spurs weren't worried, deflated, beaten down, whatever you want to call it. I saw a team that realized they took a dump and knew they'd be back in Texas for the next game.

Spurs close this shit out in 5.

I didn't see any of the Spurs looking beaten down. But I do think they had conceded the day.

I'm just saying that D'Antoni knows better than anybody where his team is mentally. If that lead had shrunk down to 11 or 12, after being up by so much, he was afraid his starters wouldn't be able to hold it. I don't think it had anything to do with running up the score. He was trying to prevent a potential disaster. I know it's hard to imagine at that point in the game - especially this game. But D'An was scared shitless.

As for there being anything wrong with it... his job is to win games. It's his right to play whoever he wants. I don't blame him one bit. Just saying that the Spurs have his number, and he knows it. There will be a lot of talk about them coming back one game at a time. He'll say it. But he doesn't believe it.

BlackSwordsMan
04-27-2008, 10:28 PM
He brought in starters because he has no bench

Sigz
04-27-2008, 10:51 PM

lol it's true.

mrcoon29
04-27-2008, 10:57 PM
Well, I think he was foolish as our guys were iced down. I don't think he did his team any good by those actions, I think he sent his team the message that they cannot be counted on to win even with a huge lead and the opponent on ice, I feel he also silently told his bench "Screw You"'; and what the hell was the beef about that got him tossed?! That left me scratching my head and when the camera panned to the Suns players sitting on the bench laughing - well, it made me wonder a bit if they were laughing at their coach.

marini martini
04-27-2008, 10:58 PM
And D'Antoni knows that's a lead they could lose. And he would have looked like an even bigger tool than Avery did last year, if he let this one get away from them.

The Spurs fans watching the game saw our starters on the sidelines with ice bags on their knees, on a day when everything was going the Suns' way. I think we all counted the game as being over. And from the looks of things, so did Pop. But D'Antoni actually saw the possibility of the game slipping away. Call it respect or, like I do, call it fear... but Mike D'Antoni knows how dangerous the Spurs are, even on a bad day

And for this, is my bedtime story. Thanks & good night:sleep

Marini:toast

m33p0
04-27-2008, 11:01 PM
he was giving his starters a mental blowjob.

but BlackSwordsMan is right. he has no bench to begin with.

m33p0
04-27-2008, 11:03 PM
Well, I think he was foolish as our guys were iced down. I don't think he did his team any good by those actions, I think he sent his team the message that they cannot be counted on to win even with a huge lead and the opponent on ice, I feel he also silently told his bench "Screw You"'; and what the hell was the beef about that got him tossed?! That left me scratching my head and when the camera panned to the Suns players sitting on the bench laughing - well, it made me wonder a bit if they were laughing at their coach.
i believe he is still reliving the 1st quarter of games 1 and 2 where they had a huge lead only to see it evaporate quicker than you say "abracadabra".

marini martini
04-27-2008, 11:09 PM
i believe he is still reliving the 1st quarter of games 1 and 2 where they had a huge lead only to see it evaporate quicker than you say "abracadabra".

OR................................................ .................................................. ....Bibbity Bobbity Boo!:lol

spurscenter
04-27-2008, 11:16 PM
http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20080427/capt.1b97e43aed7a4182a5b153e871d9760c.spurs_suns_b asketball_pnu115.jpg

CMON GUYS, 48 MINUTES, LETS GO LETS GO

guy in green shirt, "coach, STFU"

marini martini
04-27-2008, 11:22 PM
http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20080427/capt.1b97e43aed7a4182a5b153e871d9760c.spurs_suns_b asketball_pnu115.jpg

CMON GUYS, 48 MINUTES, LETS GO LETS GO

guy in green shirt, "coach, STFU"

And this is what instigated, D'Antoni, getting ejected??????????????

:lmao:lmao:lmao

BlackSwordsMan
04-27-2008, 11:25 PM
D'antoni was ejected?

Sammy's Mom
04-27-2008, 11:35 PM
D'antoni was ejected?

he sure was. and the suns were up by 24....not that i am rooting for them but i mean come on....hold it together man.

efrem1
04-27-2008, 11:37 PM

Except for Barbosa, that is true indeed. No monkeying around and blow these guys out on Tuesday. :ihit

marini martini
04-27-2008, 11:44 PM
D'antoni was ejected?

Oh yeah! Dam hothead:madrun

And his team, was up by 20+

Jerkwad:bang:bang:bang

:toast

BlackSwordsMan
04-27-2008, 11:46 PM
Just watched on youtube. I'm surprised you guys could stomach that game for 4 quarters.

marini martini
04-27-2008, 11:56 PM
Actually I had to DVR it. But fast forwarded it to the end. Even that shit wasn't pretty.:bang But Spurs will win the next one, BOOOK IT

:flag::lobt::flag::lobt::flag::lobt::flag::lobt::f lag::lobt::flag:

Red Hawk #21
04-28-2008, 12:22 AM
Dantoni sucks he's getting fired and so will Mike woodson

milkyway21
04-28-2008, 12:27 AM
With a 21 point lead, only 5:44 left, and all of the Spurs' subs in the game, D'Antoni put Stoudamire and Bell back in the game - along with Diaw, who hadn't been to the bench at all. A lot of thoughts went through my mind, but after a few seconds I realized, "This is a man living in complete terror of the Spurs. He actually thinks his team could still lose."

And you know what? He was right. If the Spurs got a few stops, and maybe hit a couple of 3's along the way, that 21 points could have been 11 or 12 with 4:00 left in the game. And D'Antoni knows that's a lead they could lose. And he would have looked like an even bigger tool than Avery did last year, if he let this one get away from them.

The Spurs fans watching the game saw our starters on the sidelines with ice bags on their knees, on a day when everything was going the Suns' way. I think we all counted the game as being over. And from the looks of things, so did Pop. But D'Antoni actually saw the possibility of the game slipping away. Call it respect or, like I do, call it fear... but Mike D'Antoni knows how dangerous the Spurs are, even on a bad day.

I think it was a mistake to have the starters in the game that late in the fourth quarter. But who knows the Suns limitations better than Mike D'Antoni? If he thought it was necessary...heh...it probably was.

:lmao for those Suns fans who acted like they already won the series

sunspride
04-28-2008, 02:00 AM
i thought dantoni wanted diaw to get his triple double that's why he had to remain in the game.

wijayas
04-28-2008, 10:01 AM
I didn't see any of the Spurs looking beaten down. But I do think they had conceded the day.

I'm just saying that D'Antoni knows better than anybody where his team is mentally. If that lead had shrunk down to 11 or 12, after being up by so much, he was afraid his starters wouldn't be able to hold it. I don't think it had anything to do with running up the score. He was trying to prevent a potential disaster. I know it's hard to imagine at that point in the game - especially this game. But D'An was scared shitless.

That's why he needs to get tossed out of the game. He cannot withstand seeing his starter lost again... :lmao :lmao :lmao

ancestron
04-28-2008, 10:47 AM
D'antoni's grandstanding and getting tossed at the end was retarded. They were up by like 25 points, the game was clearly in hand...what the fuck could he possibly be soooo upset with the refs about in the closing minutes of the game when almost every freakin call has gone his way all afternoon.

Reminds me of a kid who gets a million kick ass presents at christmas, but bitches constantly about the one thing he didn't get.

What do they call that again? Oh yeah, a BRAT!