PDA

View Full Version : Game Thoughts: Spurs @ Suns Game 4

timvp
04-28-2008, 03:32 AM
If Game 3 was about as good as the Spurs can play, Game 4 was about as bad as the Spurs can play. The Suns came out desperate and dominated the action. San Antonio got down by ten points less than four minutes into the game and Phoenix never looked back.

The Suns deserve a lot of the credit for their 105-86 victory. Boris Diaw and Raja Bell were simply fantastic. Diaw had 20 points, ten rebounds, eight assists and two blocks, while Bell had 27 points, six rebounds and five assists. Shaquille O’Neal also played well. It would have been easy for the Suns to wave the white flag but instead they showed a lot of heart. The Spurs are going to have to play well to send this team packing.

In basically every aspect of the game, the Spurs struggled and looked a step slow. Their offense was ugly. Their defense was largely ineffective. The coaching staff didn’t come up with any answers. From A to Z, it was just an ugly game for San Antonio.

Overall, it’s tough to be too depressed about this loss if you’re a Spurs fan. The Suns are a quality team – most likely a top five team in the NBA. Nobody thought the Spurs were going to sweep the Suns coming into this series. Going home for Game 5 with a 3-1 advantage in the series is a good position to be in.

-Tim Duncan played by far his worst game of the series. For the first three games, Duncan was aggressive and powerful offensively. In this game, he was passive on offense and let the Suns’ defense dictate his play on that end of the court. Defensively, he was decent but not great. Duncan finished with 14 points and ten rebounds, while shooting 6-for-18 from the field. In Game 5, Duncan needs to establish himself in the post again. Game 4 was a flashback to how he played against the Suns in the regular season. The Spurs can’t afford anymore of these games out of their foundation.

-Manu Ginobili wasn’t helping much in this affair. Four turnovers in 21 minutes won’t get it down in the playoffs on the road. Defensively, Ginobili wasn’t close to as effective as he was in Game 4. On the whole, Ginobili had ten points and four rebounds, while shooting 4-for-8 from the field. For the Spurs to put away the Suns in Game 5, Ginobili needs a big game. Whether that means a big scoring night or a game in which he penetrates and kicks to shooters will depend on the type of defense the Suns are playing.

-Tony Parker, fresh off arguably the best game of his career, played a poor game. He finished with 18 points, four rebounds and three assists, while shooting 7-for-17 from the field. Parker’s five turnovers in 29 minutes were especially damaging. Overall, it was just not a very smart game authored by Parker. The Suns changed their defense yet he was playing as if he needed to again carry the load. More patience offensively would have done wonders for the Spurs’ offense. Defensively, Parker was far below average. In Game 5, Parker needs to learn from his mistakes and come with a much smarter performance.

-Bruce Bowen’s outing is hard to gauge. Steve Nash again didn’t do much – thanks in large part to Bowen’s defense. However, offensively Bowen’s inability to help out was really hurting the team. Bowen went without a point and missed all three of his shots. That makes three out of four games in which Bowen has gone scoreless. He has yet to hit a three-pointer in this series. While that has a lot to do with the Suns’ strategy to not let Bowen get open looks in the corners, he needs to figure out a way to help out at least a little bit offensively. Running more and getting to his spots faster might get him an open look or two to get him going. Right now, his good defense is being nullified by his offense.

-Michael Finley was deceptively horrible. He hit half of his four shots but he did nothing else. His seven points in 22 minutes was decent but it would have been nice if Finley mixed in at least one rebound or one assist. I’m not sure how Finley didn’t grab a single rebound considering he started the second half at power forward. In Game 5, the Spurs need Finley to bring defense and rebounding even more than scoring now that Diaw is playing small forward for the Suns.

-Kurt Thomas started and did a decent job. The game was over so quickly that it’s tough to tell if Thomas was part of the problem. In 15 minutes, Thomas had four points and five rebounds. In Game 5, Thomas needs to help limit O’Neal’s production. He’s been the best player for the Spurs on the low block against O’Neal.

-If there’s a bright spot for the Spurs, it’s that Game 4 allowed both Brent Barry and Robert Horry to play extended minutes. Both players needed the minutes to shake off the rust and get into better basketball shape. Barry was able to play 28 minutes, while Horry played 20 minutes. Neither one of them played too well but the playing time could pay dividends down the line. Barry had five points and four rebounds on 1-for-4 shooting from the field. Horry had six points and seven rebounds on 2-of-7 shooting.

-Ime Udoka and Fabricio Oberto didn’t have too much of an opportunity to have an impact on this game. By the time either broke a sweat, the Spurs were in a hole. Udoka finished with four points and five rebounds, while Oberto had three points and three rebounds. Both players will play big roles in Game 5. Udoka will be asked to try to slow Diaw on the low block. Oberto will need to bring solid defense while also helping the offense find a flow.

-Jacque Vaughn and Damon Stoudamire entered the game in garbage time. I though both played pretty well. Vaughn brought energy and attacked the basket well. If he could do that in game that isn’t decided, he’d be more effective. Stoudamire was even more impressive. He had 11 points in 13 minutes and also grabbed three rebounds. If the Spurs are struggling for offense at some point in this series, I can imagine Pop putting Stoudamire into the game. Putting Stoudamire in pick-and-rolls and instructing him to shoot over the bigman every time is actually not a bad game plan against the Suns.

-Pop’s magic finally came to an end in Game 4. Hack-a-Shaq didn’t work. Small ball didn’t work. Actually, nothing he tried ended up working too well. He was slow to respond to Diaw and Bell having great games. Putting more size on Diaw and Bell could have curtailed their outbursts but Pop didn’t nip this pair of problems in the bud.

Ironically enough, I thought Pop missed a golden opportunity to employ Hack-a-Shaq in the second quarter. While I’ve been against Hack-a-Shaq for the most part, I thought midway through the second quarter would have been a great time to break it out. The Spurs were down by a dozen points and were scoring nearly every time down the court. Pop opted for regular defense and the Suns went on a 14-2 run to end the game. The first time I was looking forward to Hack-a-Shaq and Pop throws a curve ball. Should've known.

Heading into Game 5, Pop needs to figure out what to do with the big frontline of Amare Stoudemire, O’Neal and Diaw. This whole season, the Spurs haven’t had much success against Diaw unless Diaw was guarded by a bigman. Pop needs to figure out a way to put a big on Diaw, which is difficult with Stoudemire and O’Neal also on the court.

One way would be to put Finley on Stoudemire and go back to the “make Amare beat us” strategy that has been almost always effective. Another option would be to put three bigs on the court and try to out-big the Suns. A third option would to just hope Diaw’s Game 4 production was a fluke and continue defending him with smalls.

Offensively, the Spurs need to get out and run in front of the home crowd. If the Suns want to start a big lineup, speed will be a big advantage for the Spurs. When the Spurs aren’t running, they can’t forget about Duncan on the low block. Pick-and-roll have been good to the Spurs in this series but Duncan needs more touches in good position to help soften up the Suns’ defense.

The bottomline is the Suns came out and played desperate basketball and got a win. Despite the loss, the Spurs remain in the driver’s seat. However, Game 5 will be hugely important. If the Spurs lose, this all of a sudden becomes a series. It’s time to come out, compete and send the Suns back to Phoenix – alone.

Believe.

MannyIsGod
04-28-2008, 03:46 AM
I'd bet big money on Bonner being active for game five. I think he's currently a better option than Horry - although Pop probably doesn't share this feeling (obviously since he was inactive, right?) - and we could use his hustle in spots where the Spurs are flat.

ForeignFan
04-28-2008, 03:51 AM
I
-Tony Parker, fresh off arguably the best game of his career, played a poor game. He finished with 18 points, four rebounds and three assists, while shooting 7-for-17 from the field. Parker’s five turnovers in 29 minutes were especially damaging. Overall, it was just not a very smart game authored by Parker. The Suns changed their defense yet he was playing as if he needed to again carry the load. More patience offensively would have done wonders for the Spurs’ offense. Defensively, Parker was far below average. In Game 5, Parker needs to learn from his mistakes and come with a much smarter performance.

He has shown he could do that. I trust Pop will help make sure that trend continues...

urunobili
04-28-2008, 03:57 AM
thank u timvp... let's just hope the spurs finish this team next game!

Supreme_Being
04-28-2008, 03:58 AM
We tanked this for a few days rest.

Ice009
04-28-2008, 04:08 AM
We tanked this for a few days rest.

WTF are you on about?

whottt
04-28-2008, 04:21 AM
I like Horry on Diaw....not Udoka. I noticed at the end of the game that he's a guy that doesn't really put Horry at a speed disadvantage, which is unusual at this stage of Horry's career. Diaw has a very methodical pace to his game and it's one that suits Horry's lack of speed well. Diaw doesn't really have the bulk to push Horry around, or the size to shoot over him, which pretty much sets Horry apart from all the other guys we might attempt to defend him with...and the main reason I like this is that Horry is very disruptive to certain player's offensive rythym(like Tim Duncan for intance), especially a guy that is trying to post him up and doesn't have a big size or weight advantage on him. The way he(Horry) pokes at the ball and shoves and keeps them from getting their balance, he's just good at not letting certain types of players get comfortable. I think he could be a factor there assuming his conditioning let's him spend much time on the court.

Anyway...In my opinion, what lost the Spurs this game was too much one on one(it was usually more like one on three) basketball by Manu and Parker...

Yes the Suns made a concentrated effort to take everyone away but Manu, Parker and Duncan...but Parker and Manu were really bad about not looking to kick it out on their penetrations, and as good as you say Jacque Vaughn played...he did the exact same thing.

I know they tend to play this way a lot, and Pop encourages it(to the point where he benches guards that don't play that way)...but I don't think he was encouraging it yesterday. In fact they said in the huddle during the second quarter he was telling them to move the ball more and I never saw any huge effort by Parker or Manu to carry those orders out on the court...

There definitely was a disconnect yesterday between what Pop was asking for and what the guards were actually doing on the court.

I'm pretty sure that's one of the the reasons Barry got so many minutes yesterday.

Anyway, I think that ball movement issue was the #2 reason we lost this game.

The #1 reason of course was not showing up for the first quarter...this was definitely a game that was over after the first quarter.

Defensively the Spurs played fine, after the first quarter. I mean the Suns only shot 42-43% for the game. Anytime you can hold a team with Steve Nash, Amare Stoudamire, and Shaq O'Neal to 43% shooting...you are doing something right on the defensive side of the ball. And I think yesterday was Amare's worst game against the Spurs ever....

But basically I think the Diaw problem is something that's going to need to be figured out quickly...because I think it will be an issue in the next game.

Tom_Foolery
04-28-2008, 04:27 AM
I honestly turned it off after the 1st quarter. I wanted to see if the Spurs could cut the lead before the 2nd quarter. Didn't happen. The Spurs live on the edge sometimes thinking they can get away with a slack effort here or there because someone will come up big. But not on the road. If you get down that far in the first quarter on the road, it was money that they lost the game. They got down in the 1st 2 games and barely squeaked by with a win. No way was that going to happen on the road.

The Spurs looked like a team up 3-0 that didn't look challenged and was caught off-guard.

Spurs will win game 5 and I expect to see Duncan have a monster game again.

Not worried. I think this team is still incredible.

I would like to see more of Barry though.

cly2tw
04-28-2008, 04:37 AM
For the Suns, the problem is defense. As long as we can limit Spurs to their regular season shooting percentage, we are in the game. (If that happens, hack-a-Shaq doesn't work as long as Shaq shoots 50% FT)

whottt
04-28-2008, 04:42 AM

Barry got plenty of minutes yesterday...but he didn't do much with them.

#1. the Suns were not leaving him open.

#2. His passing was off yesterday...

For virtually all of Barry's career I've watched him get ripped by Spur fans for his passing..but what I always loved about it was the timing...

Usually the second an extra defender takes a step towards Barry that ball is in then instantly in the hands of the man who's defender is stepping towards him, one step....that's what he watches for whenever he's got the ball, that's what keys his passing. And even though Spurfans have always complained about his quick passes as being fear on the part of Barry...if they'd bother to look they'd see the guy he passes it too is always open and has just been given a space to shoot...a space that is physically impossible for the defender that just left them to fill. It's impossible for the human body to change it's momentum like that...

When that defender take a step towards him it is impossible for them to take a step back towards their man at the same time. It's physically impossible.

I personally think it's a brilliantly simple philosophy about passing...I think it's been over looked by both the Spurs coaches and Spurs fans for all of Barry's career...hell, I think it's been overlooked by his teamates as well, when they have been the recipient of those passes(with the exception of Manu).

It's just one of those little things that Barry does that makes our offense better when he is on the court, that makes guys all of a sudden start hitting shots, getting easy baskets even though I think no one really sees the dynamic behind why it is happening.

Well, that aspect of Barry's passing was a complete no show yesterday...he was passing the ball to defended men. Yesterday I would say he was hesitant and trying to get rid of the ball, either that or his timing was just off...but he definitely wasn't moving the ball in the extremely under-rated and effective way he usually does.

timvp
04-28-2008, 04:44 AM
I like Horry on Diaw....not Udoka. I noticed at the end of the game that he's a guy that doesn't really put Horry at a speed disadvantage, which is unusual at this stage of Horry's career. Diaw has a very methodical pace to his game and it's one that suits Horry's lack of speed well. Diaw doesn't really have the bulk to push Horry around, or the size to shoot over him, which pretty much sets Horry apart from all the other guys we might attempt to defend him with...and the main reason I like this is that Horry is very disruptive to certain player's offensive rythym(like Tim Duncan for intance), especially a guy that is trying to post him up and doesn't have a big size or weight advantage on him. The way he(Horry) pokes at the ball and shoves and keeps them from getting their balance, he's just good at not letting certain types of players get comfortable. I think he could be a factor there assuming his conditioning let's him spend much time on the court.I'd be fine with Horry on Diaw. Actually, any big on Diaw would work. You put a small on Diaw and Diaw's post skills are too refined and his passing is too good.

But do you put Horry at small forward or do you put a small on Stoudemire and go back to letting Stoudemire get 40 while trying to stop everyone else?

ForeignFan
04-28-2008, 04:57 AM
I'd be fine with Horry on Diaw. Actually, any big on Diaw would work. You put a small on Diaw and Diaw's post skills are too refined and his passing is too good.

But do you put Horry at small forward or do you put a small on Stoudemire and go back to letting Stoudemire get 40 while trying to stop everyone else?

Put Horry at SF would mean no Bowen, right ? Could Bowen not defend on Diaw? and then on Nash when Diaw is out ? In terms of offensive production, I guess we should not expect too much of Horry and Bowen, though Horry could come up with a clutch shoot.

whottt
04-28-2008, 05:01 AM
I'd be fine with Horry on Diaw. Actually, any big on Diaw would work. You put a small on Diaw and Diaw's post skills are too refined and his passing is too good.

Yeah...let Finley defend Amare.

I know Finley wasn't exactly the hero of the game yesterday..and he was the recipient of some posterizations by Amare...but if you look at Amare's stats, he pretty much sucked yestery and from what I saw Finley was the guy that got most of the minutes on him.

For some reason Amare doesn't play like himself when Finley is defending him...and this was true even when Finley was with the Mavs.

romain.star
04-28-2008, 05:12 AM

I know Finley wasn't exactly the hero of the game yesterday..and he was the recipient of some posterizations by Amare...but if you look at Amare's stats, he pretty much sucked yestery and from what I saw Finley was the guy that got most of the minutes on him.

For some reason Amare doesn't play like himself when Finley is defending him...and this was true even when Finley was with the Mavs.

+1

timvp
04-28-2008, 05:34 AM

For some reason Amare doesn't play like himself when Finley is defending him...and this was true even when Finley was with the Mavs.That's actually what I'd like Pop to at least try. Go back to old school defending the Suns strategy.

Put Finley on Stoudemire. If Stoudemire goes for 45, oh well. He's not a playmaker so him scoring doesn't really break down your defense. Plus you can double him and trust he won't always make the right pass.

At the same time, Diaw versus a bigman becomes a lot less of a headache. It turns him into a jump shooter. But you put a small on Diaw and he'll not only score, he'll kill you with his passing.

We'll see what Pop is going to do. The drop from having Oberto on Stoudemire to having Finley on Stoudemire isn't that great. But the difference between having a big or a small on Diaw is huge. Pop may just bank on Diaw laying an egg ... which could very well happen.

Really though, I'd love the Finley on Stoudemire alignment. Force the Suns to post up Stoudemire every time up the court. That has never beaten the Spurs. It's when Nash and the role players get going that causes the Spurs to lose against the Suns.

timvp
04-28-2008, 05:39 AM
Put Horry at SF would mean no Bowen, right?You could move Bowen to shooting guard if you put Horry at small forward. But yeah, that'd be a scary bad offensive unit.

Could Bowen not defend on Diaw?He'd be decent but I'd rather any of Duncan, Thomas, Oberto or Horry on Diaw.

polandprzem
04-28-2008, 06:20 AM
Really though, I'd love the Finley on Stoudemire alignment. Force the Suns to post up Stoudemire every time up the court. That has never beaten the Spurs. It's when Nash and the role players get going that causes the Spurs to lose against the Suns.

Quite risky when you consider that Finley is not much productuve on offense in two games vs Suns now.
And you want Amare abuse us 1-1 like TD was doing it to the 2005 Suns?

I think that Pop will come up with two plans for the game - if the first one won't work he will change to another.
We just got to see who will be on fire in Suns squad.
barbosa had 2 great games in a row right now, and we might see some minutes given to Hill.

After that one game Suns seems to have plenty of weapons they can beat the spurs in the series. The weapons they always had and we knew it. They are much more flexible then Spurs are

WalterBenitez
04-28-2008, 06:30 AM
thanks TIMVP :toast , at this point your recap sound like a far poem to me; we played bad, we let them the protagonism and we were witness. :bang

I think was intensity, rotation, can't understand why these ups and lows; we looked tired and worried about refs more than in the game.

My summary ... we sucked yesterday. :D

timvp
04-28-2008, 06:46 AM
Quite risky when you consider that Finley is not much productuve on offense in two games vs Suns now.It's not that risky. It's not like Oberto has done anything to slow him down.

And you want Amare abuse us 1-1 like TD was doing it to the 2005 Suns?Amare average like 40 in that series ... and that series was even easier than this series.

It's not a coincidence that in 2005, the Spurs lost the game that Amare scored the least amount of points. Same this year.

Like I said, Amare scoring a lot of points doesn't cause the Spurs to lose. It's the role players that beat the Spurs.

I think that Pop will come up with two plans for the game - if the first one won't work he will change to another.Yeah, I'm fine with that. Starting a small against Diaw is probably the best option just to see if Diaw is going to choke. But if Diaw starts dominating again, you have to switch a big on him. Series are about adjusting. Diaw isn't a superstar but he has a skillset that can be a difference maker.

polandprzem
04-28-2008, 07:10 AM
It's not that risky. It's not like Oberto has done anything to slow him down.

I see your point here.
Then you want either Kurt or Fabio to guard Diaw who can shoot from permiter and when posting up can find Amare who is covered by Finley.

We can do a little change here and only when Fin will be out with his shot again, put Ime on Amare, let's see how that can work.
Still we got Tim on Shaq for most of Shaq's minutes. (As we talking about Boris Problem)

How the spurs can go when the Suns will have Amare and Diaw down low?
Tim on Amare? when basicly he is involved with this in the middle p&r with Nash?

I would like to rewatch that game but I don't know if to download it.
All game long I was disturbed by a Shaqs lover :rolleyes

Amare average like 40 in that series ... and that series was even easier than this series.

It's not a coincidence that in 2005, the Spurs lost the game that Amare scored the least amount of points. Same this year.
Yup but we closed the shooters down - esp. the 3-pointers.
But right now with Shaq out there we don't have same edge on offense as we had in 2005 (4-down and damn that beauty ball movenment which must be back at some degree)

Like I said, Amare scoring a lot of points doesn't cause the Spurs to lose. It's the role players that beat the Spurs.
Spurs will have to do something when Amare drops 10 consistent unanswered point on Finley, like send somebody to help wich will be bad as Suns seems like they found a touch in thei J's - there you have the produce from the role players.

Yeah, I'm fine with that. Starting a small against Diaw is probably the best option just to see if Diaw is going to choke. But if Diaw starts dominating again, you have to switch a big on him. Series are about adjusting. Diaw isn't a superstar but he has a skillset that can be a difference maker.

Yup, and I was wondering all season long why didnt he got more minutes.

SAGambler
04-28-2008, 08:36 AM
It would have been easy for the Suns to wave the white flag but instead they showed a lot of heart.

If they waved the white flag, they would have been booed out of town.

Time to sell next years season tickets. Gotta make the fans believe. Suns had to have a good showing in this one.

Not one damn thing in this game surprised me at all. Spurs were never interested in sweeping Phoenix.

Spurs Dynasty 21
04-28-2008, 08:39 AM
the main question is will Parker again be shut down by Diaw

1Parker1
04-28-2008, 08:40 AM
Is Game 5 a must win for the Spurs? If they lose, do the Suns have a chance to pull of something?

Or even if the Spurs go on to win after losing Game 5, how much energy will they have in the next round? Esp since they are injured. That's why I think it's a must win for the Spurs in Game 5.

polandprzem
04-28-2008, 08:52 AM
Is Game 5 a must win for the Spurs? If they lose, do the Suns have a chance to pull of something?

Or even if the Spurs go on to win after losing Game 5, how much energy will they have in the next round? Esp since they are injured. That's why I think it's a must win for the Spurs in Game 5.

Same here in Poland @ my house @ my desk in front of my comp.

E20
04-28-2008, 09:05 AM
I think Diaw had a fluke performance, same with Bell. It will be highly unlikely that Bell put up Kobe numbers again and Diaw look like mini Hakeem. Abberation.

remingtonbo2001
04-28-2008, 09:21 AM
It looks like you spent more time preparing for these Game Thoughts than the Spurs did preparing for Game 4.

However, I felt an entire page should've been dedicated to Finley's defensive shortcomings.

ForeignFan
04-28-2008, 09:34 AM

I do not think so. Actually, I do not think Diaw shut down Parker. Maybe the defense on Parker was better than in Game 3 but TP's problem was that his shot did not fall in, though he had quite a few good looks. What killed us upfront was the turnovers combined with the inability to get stops (or with the Suns' sudden "can't-miss" offense).

thispego
04-28-2008, 10:03 AM
I think Diaw had a fluke performance, same with Bell. It will be highly unlikely that Bell put up Kobe numbers again and Diaw look like mini Hakeem. Abberation.

:tu

1Parker1
04-28-2008, 10:22 AM
BTW, the constant complaining by Duncan, Parker, and Ginobili after non-calls has got to stop. I know there are some obvious missed calls that are justified by their griping, but they have to understand it's not going to help their case any with the refs reacting that way. They need to get back in transisition and quit the whining.

anakha
04-28-2008, 10:49 AM

Dumbest take of the week. SD21 never fails to rise to the occasion. :lol

SenorSpur
04-28-2008, 10:51 AM
BTW, the constant complaining by Duncan, Parker, and Ginobili after non-calls has got to stop. I know there are some obvious missed calls that are justified by their griping, but they have to understand it's not going to help their case any with the refs reacting that way. They need to get back in transisition and quit the whining.

Amen.

And I like the idea of trying Horry out on Diaw. I say why not? No one else on the team seems to be able to handle him in the post. You'd think Oberto or either Udoka would be able to somewhat slow him down. I guess not.

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-28-2008, 11:28 AM
To me, it looked like the Spurs treated this as a throw-away game. The overall intensity was about 50% of what it was in the previous three games.

I hate for a team to take their foot off the gas. I'd of rather seen the Spurs play all-out and lose by 3 or 5 than this fiasco. You should never downshift, because sometimes it's hard to shift back. But we'll see. I figured the Spurs needed a good fifteen regular season games to shift into "playoff mode" too, and they proved me wrong.

Here's hoping game 5 is a repeat of game 3. :toast

1Parker1
04-28-2008, 11:38 AM
Yea, Spurs definitely came out with 50% effort. Not only that, but I believe it's been Duncan who's been saying ever since Game 2..."We don't expect to come here and sweep these guys." Again he said it after yesterday's game, which led me to believe they sort of expected this to happen....

TampaDude
04-28-2008, 12:06 PM
Yea, Spurs definitely came out with 50% effort. Not only that, but I believe it's been Duncan who's been saying ever since Game 2..."We don't expect to come here and sweep these guys." Again he said it after yesterday's game, which led me to believe they sort of expected this to happen....

Yeah...Duncan didn't look too worried sitting on the bench in the 4th quarter. If the Spurs were gonna lose Game 4, it was better to get blown out and give the starters some rest, rather than scrap for the full 48 and lose a close one.

Look for the Spurs to come out full throttle on the Suns like they did in Game 3 and cruise to a double-digit win. Let there be no doubt. Spurs in 5.

polandprzem
04-28-2008, 02:45 PM

Once David "Admiral" Robinson said that it won't be an easy series and it will take some time ... and that it will be definitely a long series.
He was talking about a Portland series in 1999 (and I think it was afer game one).

SpurOutofTownFan
04-28-2008, 03:13 PM
. And I think yesterday was Amare's worst game against the Spurs ever....

i felt Amare went in thinking they were going to get swept

hater
04-28-2008, 03:29 PM

Pop knows psychology and has instructed his players on this. I think the complaining they do does have a slight effect on the refs at times. Of course they know they should not piss off the ref at the same time.

jman3000
04-28-2008, 03:33 PM
i shit bricks in 2005 when we got blown out the first 2 games in detroit... i really felt like the spurs had lucked out with the first 2 blowout wins and that detroit was proving themselves to be the better team... a 32 point win is nothing to scoff at.

like a lot of other spurs fans here... i dont think i could ever lose faith the spurs just because of a lopsided loss.

spurs in 5.

miss paxton
04-28-2008, 03:34 PM
i felt Amare went in thinking they were going to get swept

In the brief interview he did with Michele Tafoya pre-game, I thought he appeared remarkably subdued.

All Seeing Eye
04-28-2008, 03:37 PM
Pop knows psychology and has instructed his players on this. I think the complaining they do does have a slight effect on the refs at times. Of course they know they should not piss off the ref at the same time.

On that note...congratulations to Popovich for turning Kurt Thomas into a whiner. Seeing Thomas with his palms upturned and pleading with the ref is quite a shock.

hater
04-28-2008, 03:41 PM
On that note...congratulations to Popovich for turning Kurt Thomas into a whiner. Seeing Thomas with his palms upturned and pleading with the ref is quite a shock.

if you would take your homer glasses off for a second you would see that Nash, Amare and D'antoni complain as much or more than Spurs

the difference is that Spurs do it through Pop's orders. Suns do it because they are whiny bitches

Cry Havoc
04-28-2008, 04:05 PM
I hope the Suns attempt the tri-towers again. That's going to get them run out of the gym in San Antonio.

All Seeing Eye
04-28-2008, 04:14 PM
if you would take your homer glasses off for a second you would see that Nash, Amare and D'antoni complain as much or more than Spurs

the difference is that Spurs do it through Pop's orders. Suns do it because they are whiny bitches

And if you would just stick to the post you'd see I was writing ONLY about Thomas. And I KNOW it's Popovich's orders, that was the point of the post.

Sheesh.

wildbill2u
04-28-2008, 04:37 PM
RE Suns Big Lineup:

Too bad Pop put Bonner in the doghouse this spring and didn't let him get any minutes. He can't be ready although I'm sure he'd hustle if he was used. We're down to three bigs that got any extended playing time in the last four months: Tim, Thomas and Oberto so you'd have a hard time playing those guys together for extended minutes in Game 5 against Shaq, Diaw, and Amare.

Udoka isn't taking his shot in rhythm when he catches it, especially behind the arc. He hestitates, probably due to playoff nerves and inexperience and then goes inside for a shorter jumpshot. What a waste. Either bring it or get out of the way, young man.

Bruce is doing the same thing, getting away from the 3s that have been his basic contribution on offense for years and trying to emulate Parker by driving inside for a pull up jumper. Bruce, you can't make that shot and you can't drive to the rim. Do what you do best (occasionally) instead of trying to change your game in the playoffs.

I expected Phoenix to win game 4. They had to cowboy up or be laughed out of the league. But we should win this thing. If we lose this round, then WE'LL be laughed out of the league.

smeagol
04-28-2008, 05:25 PM
No worries.

In Game 5, Game 1 Timmy, Game 2 Manu and Game 3 Tony will show up.

Book it.

td4mvp21
04-28-2008, 05:27 PM
I don't think Bell and Diaw will have career games in Game 5.

The only good news is that the Spurs got their shitty performance out of the way. They'll more than likely come out a lot better in Game 5, which will put them in a good position to close this series off. I'm already ready to get Game 5 over with, I'm hoping the Spurs end this series pronto.

tp2021
04-28-2008, 05:43 PM
I don't like the "there's no way (insert player here) steps up like that again" mindset. The Spurs have to be prepared to handle whatever it is the Suns throw at them. Every attack needs a counter.

td4mvp21
04-28-2008, 06:03 PM
I don't like the "there's no way (insert player here) steps up like that again" mindset. The Spurs have to be prepared to handle whatever it is the Suns throw at them. Every attack needs a counter.

I think it's just us fans that have that mindset :lol The Spurs are way too smart to think like that.

bigfundamental21
04-28-2008, 07:08 PM
Thanks for the thoughts, timvp.

I agree that the Spurs seemed uninterested and unprepared for what the Suns brought in game 4, but we all know that the Spurs bounce back well from losses. The big 3 will be ready for sure for tomorrow nights game.

BELIEVE!

Sexy Stud 28
04-29-2008, 12:03 AM
I honestly turned it off after the 1st quarter. I wanted to see if the Spurs could cut the lead before the 2nd quarter. Didn't happen. The Spurs live on the edge sometimes thinking they can get away with a slack effort here or there because someone will come up big. But not on the road. If you get down that far in the first quarter on the road, it was money that they lost the game. They got down in the 1st 2 games and barely squeaked by with a win. No way was that going to happen on the road.

The Spurs looked like a team up 3-0 that didn't look challenged and was caught off-guard.

Spurs will win game 5 and I expect to see Duncan have a monster game again.

Not worried. I think this team is still incredible.

Im with you on that I def want to see Barry more also. We could esp use his ability to score and hit tha 3!!!

timvp
04-29-2008, 03:53 PM
A lineup I want to see early is Duncan, Thomas, Ginobili, Barry and Parker. Put Ginobili on Diaw, Barry on Bell and Parker on Nash. Ginobili has had success against Diaw at times in this series so I'd give him another shot at Diaw. Barry just needs to get a hand up on Bell and make him drive. Parker has been guarding Nash very well for the most part. Offensively, you'd have a lot of shooting and passing ability on the court.

The adjustment I don't want to see is Udoka on Diaw. Udoka has gotten owned by Diaw both in this series and the regular season.

If the Spurs' offense starts to stagnate at all, Pop has to have a short hook with Bowen. The Spurs have been a lot better offensively with Bowen off of the court in this series. The biggest reason is it forces Nash to participate at the defensive end. You put five capable scorers on the court Nash has to guard someone and then the Spurs can take advantage of that.