PDA

View Full Version : Texans 08 Draft

ATRAIN
04-28-2008, 11:54 AM
Texans fans or not, im curious on what you guys thought about the Texans draft. I like how holes were filled but im not too happy with us passing on Mendenhall. What do you guys think?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2008/draft/teams/texans.html

midgetonadonkey
04-28-2008, 01:14 PM
I'm 50/50 on this draft. I would've liked Mendenhall in the first but they need for a OT was way more important than picking up a 7th RB, especially after spending on Chris Brown in the offseason and signing old ass Ahman Green last year. Both of them won't get past week 3 before being placed on the IR so Mendenhall would've been great. Slayton is a good back that will be used as a speed back on screens and dump passes so I like that pick. Hopefully Antwaun Molden is decent enough to help the terrible defensive backfield into a not so bad backfield.

peewee's lovechild
04-29-2008, 09:27 AM
They shouldn't have passed on Mendenhall, but overall it was a pretty solid draft.

Slayton is a decent back, more of a complimentary back, but there's a crowded group of RBs already.

The Texans have a solid team and drafted well enough. They have to make it to the playoffs this coming season. There are no more excuses.

ATRAIN
04-29-2008, 09:34 AM
They shouldn't have passed on Mendenhall, but overall it was a pretty solid draft.

Slayton is a decent back, more of a complimentary back, but there's a crowded group of RBs already.

The Texans have a solid team and drafted well enough. They have to make it to the playoffs this coming season. There are no more excuses.

Well I would agree with you, however in that division I still think we are 1 more draft/free agency away. We should have about a .500 season though, no excuses on that.

peewee's lovechild
04-29-2008, 09:56 AM
Well I would agree with you, however in that division I still think we are 1 more draft/free agency away. We should have about a .500 season though, no excuses on that.

No, enough with the .500.

That's what you guys were last season. To expect another .500 season is to not expect any improvement whatsoever.

That's a copout.

No excuses.

ATRAIN
04-29-2008, 10:18 AM
No, enough with the .500.

That's what you guys were last season. To expect another .500 season is to not expect any improvement whatsoever.

That's a copout.

No excuses.

Sorry I meant to say above a .500 season this year.

Looking at this schedule I think we can win weeks 2,3,6,7,9,10,12,14,15,16, and 17 which would give us a 11-5 record. That of course is on if we stay healthy or not. I honestly think we are better then Tenn at this point and especially after their weak draft. Green Bay if they had Farve I would say 10-6, but Rogers sucks. Cinci is on a downward spiral (IMO). Miami, lol there isnt much else to say. Detroit and Minn will be good games but I think we can beat them, but we have to contain Peterson. Oakland is still rebuilding and Chicago isnt the same team they were a few years ago.

1 Sun, Sep 7 at Pittsburgh 1:00 PM
2 Sun, Sep 14 Baltimore 4:15 PM
3 Sun, Sep 21 at Tennessee 1:00 PM
4 Sun, Sep 28 at Jacksonville 1:00 PM
5 Sun, Oct 5 Indianapolis 1:00 PM
6 Sun, Oct 12 Miami 1:00 PM
7 Sun, Oct 19 Detroit 4:05 PM
9 Sun, Nov 2 at Minnesota 1:00 PM
10 Sun, Nov 9 Cincinnati 1:00 PM
11 Sun, Nov 16 at Indianapolis 1:00 PM
12 Sun, Nov 23 at Cleveland 1:00 PM
13 Mon, Dec 1 Jacksonville 8:30 PM
14 Sun, Dec 7 at Green Bay 1:00 PM
15 Sun, Dec 14 Tennessee 1:00 PM
16 Sun, Dec 21 at Oakland 4:05 PM
17 Sun, Dec 28 Chicago 1:00 PM

midgetonadonkey
04-29-2008, 10:24 AM
I say 10-6 and get a wildcard. They are much better than a .500 team.

Amobi is in his second year and they drafted a fat fuck to plug the middle. That will help him out a lot. Mario will be even better this year and the offense will be even better now that Shaub is in his second year in this system. The running game should improve with the addition of Alex Gibb helping coach the run game. The secondary is still a huge question mark but hopefully Ray Rhoades can coach them up to play above their potential.

Fucking Jacques Reeves. :pctoss

ATRAIN
04-29-2008, 10:28 AM
Fucking Jacques Reeves. :pctoss

Yeah im still not happy with this signing but maybe he will be ok, im trying to be positive here!! I hope to have Dunta back hopefully by week 9 after our bye if not sooner, but I don't want him to rush back.

GaryJohnston
04-29-2008, 11:46 AM
Sorry I meant to say above a .500 season this year.

Looking at this schedule I think we can win weeks 2,3,6,7,9,10,12,14,15,16, and 17 which would give us a 11-5 record. That of course is on if we stay healthy or not. I honestly think we are better then Tenn at this point and especially after their weak draft. Green Bay if they had Farve I would say 10-6, but Rogers sucks. Cinci is on a downward spiral (IMO). Miami, lol there isnt much else to say. Detroit and Minn will be good games but I think we can beat them, but we have to contain Peterson. Oakland is still rebuilding and Chicago isnt the same team they were a few years ago.

1 Sun, Sep 7 at Pittsburgh 1:00 PM
2 Sun, Sep 14 Baltimore 4:15 PM
3 Sun, Sep 21 at Tennessee 1:00 PM
4 Sun, Sep 28 at Jacksonville 1:00 PM
5 Sun, Oct 5 Indianapolis 1:00 PM
6 Sun, Oct 12 Miami 1:00 PM
7 Sun, Oct 19 Detroit 4:05 PM
9 Sun, Nov 2 at Minnesota 1:00 PM
10 Sun, Nov 9 Cincinnati 1:00 PM
11 Sun, Nov 16 at Indianapolis 1:00 PM
12 Sun, Nov 23 at Cleveland 1:00 PM
13 Mon, Dec 1 Jacksonville 8:30 PM
14 Sun, Dec 7 at Green Bay 1:00 PM
15 Sun, Dec 14 Tennessee 1:00 PM
16 Sun, Dec 21 at Oakland 4:05 PM
17 Sun, Dec 28 Chicago 1:00 PM

I believe you are reaching for the stars here buddy and are overly optimistic. I can see a 8-8 or 9-7 finish.

ATRAIN
04-29-2008, 12:10 PM
I believe you are reaching for the stars here buddy and are overly optimistic. I can see a 8-8 or 9-7 finish.

Then tell me who is going to beat us? Whats your breakdown?

GaryJohnston
04-29-2008, 12:27 PM
Five losses right off the bat from division(2 to Indy, 2 to Jacksonville, 1 to Titans)

Pitt will beat the Texans, no discussion there

Minny had a great offseason, and they will be at home. Very tough defense that got better with the addition of Jared Allen. And One word. Peterson

Cincy game I see as a toss up. I don't trust the Houston secondary, but I can also see a Houston win here.

Cleveland is a loss. They are good and got even better this offseason. I expect them to be one of the top team in the AFC

Greenbay is also a very good team. Rodgers just need to be a bus driver. He has had a few years to really sit back and learn the pro game. He's a sleeper for me.

Bottom line is Houston didn't do enough in the offseason IMO. Their draft picks are not guys who can come in and play right away. It was dissapointing to see them not be players in free agency.

midgetonadonkey
04-29-2008, 12:40 PM
Five losses right off the bat from division(2 to Indy, 2 to Jacksonville, 1 to Titans)

Pitt will beat the Texans, no discussion there

Minny had a great offseason, and they will be at home. Very tough defense that got better with the addition of Jared Allen. And One word. Peterson

Cincy game I see as a toss up. I don't trust the Houston secondary, but I can also see a Houston win here.

Cleveland is a loss. They are good and got even better this offseason. I expect them to be one of the top team in the AFC

Greenbay is also a very good team. Rodgers just need to be a bus driver. He has had a few years to really sit back and learn the pro game. He's a sleeper for me.

Bottom line is Houston didn't do enough in the offseason IMO. Their draft picks are not guys who can come in and play right away. It was dissapointing to see them not be players in free agency.

The Texans have always played the Jags really hard. I say they get 1 win against them and 1 against Indy. The Minnesota game will be a defensive game and as long as Peterson is mildly contained I don't think they have enough offense to beat the Texans. Also, I think Green Bay had a fluke season last year and losing Farve will have a larger effect on the team than believed. I say 10-6 is a decent prediction for this team. I don't think they will get out of round 1 of the playoffs but they have made huge strides and with the offseason coaching additions, it will make them a solid team.

ATRAIN
04-29-2008, 12:57 PM
The Texans have always played the Jags really hard. I say they get 1 win against them and 1 against Indy. The Minnesota game will be a defensive game and as long as Peterson is mildly contained I don't think they have enough offense to beat the Texans. Also, I think Green Bay had a fluke season last year and losing Farve will have a larger effect on the team than believed. I say 10-6 is a decent prediction for this team. I don't think they will get out of round 1 of the playoffs but they have made huge strides and with the offseason coaching additions, it will make them a solid team.

I agree for the most part. Indy will be Indy and should beat us 2 times. The Texans however outplayed 3 qtrs with the healthy roster they had last year in week 1. At that time Mario still was in his shell, so who knows how much different the outcome would have been. Jax on the other hand can go either way. Its a big rivalry game and in the past we have had their number no matter how good they were/bad we were. GB has some good players and Grant has emerged as the back of that team but yeah without Farve its going to be a different story. Minn off will be all AP. IF we contain him and get to Jackson as much as possible, they will not be able to beat us. Our young front line and LB's are going to have a good year I think. Yes our secondary is an issue but I think we will be ok for the most part. Out of those teams mentioned (Indy, cincy, and pitt are the exceptions) none of them have a really dangerous passing attack. Rodgers wont be able to get his WR the ball as much as Farve did so I rule the out too.

midgetonadonkey
04-29-2008, 01:10 PM
10+ wins is my prediction. Who wants to put a case of beer on it?

ATRAIN
04-29-2008, 01:12 PM

I say 11-5 and for a 6 pack. Either way we both win, but it has to be that exact number.

midgetonadonkey
04-29-2008, 01:25 PM
I say 11-5 and for a 6 pack. Either way we both win, but it has to be that exact number.

Deal. I say 10 wins exactly.

I want a 6 of Shiner 97.

ATRAIN
04-29-2008, 01:26 PM
Deal. I say 10 wins exactly.

I want a 6 of Shiner 97.

Ill take a 6 of Negra Modelo

leemajors
04-29-2008, 01:56 PM

have you had this?
http://www.flyingdogales.com/images/beer-gonzo-bottle.gif

http://www.flyingdogales.com/beer-specialty-gonzo.asp

midgetonadonkey
04-29-2008, 02:16 PM
have you had this?
http://www.flyingdogales.com/images/beer-gonzo-bottle.gif

http://www.flyingdogales.com/beer-specialty-gonzo.asp

I've had Flying Dog simply because Ralph Steadman did the labels but I didn't know there was a Gonzo specific one. I must try it and save the bottles.

peewee's lovechild
04-29-2008, 02:59 PM
You guys are betting six packs?

Pussies.

Bet some cases.

midgetonadonkey
04-29-2008, 03:27 PM
I said case but ATRAIN wanted a 6 on it.

peewee's lovechild
04-29-2008, 04:05 PM
I said case but ATRAIN wanted a 6 on it.

There's no way he's paying up.

This is an empty bet.

Trust me, I know.

leemajors
04-29-2008, 04:21 PM
You guys are betting six packs?

Pussies.

Bet some cases.

part of the reason I suggested a $10 4 pack of Gonzo. I had been meaning to ask midge if he'd had it as well.

midgetonadonkey
04-29-2008, 05:07 PM
I'm going to look for it. If I find it I don't think I'm going to drink it. Just put it away.

leemajors
04-29-2008, 11:49 PM
I'm going to look for it. If I find it I don't think I'm going to drink it. Just put it away.

well they have it here in Austin at Grapevine Market - i'm sure Atrain can pick up some for you.

ATRAIN
04-30-2008, 12:35 AM
There's no way he's paying up.

This is an empty bet.

Trust me, I know.

:lol ill always pay up on valid bets

midgetonadonkey
04-30-2008, 12:58 AM
well they have it here in Austin at Grapevine Market - i'm sure Atrain can pick up some for you.

If I can get 3 of them here I would pay someone back for bringing them over.

Spuradicator
05-01-2008, 01:32 AM
Texans drafted decent, but they continue to fuck up by thinking they could plug in old veteran RB's. Slaton is nothing more than a third down back.

They will regret not drafting Mendenhall.

No playoffs for the Texans this year.

SPARKY
05-01-2008, 04:33 PM

I'm with you. Who wants to buy us a couple cases in January?

GuerillaBlack
05-12-2008, 07:08 PM
Texans drafted decent, but they continue to fuck up by thinking they could plug in old veteran RB's. Slaton is nothing more than a third down back.

They will regret not drafting Mendenhall.

No playoffs for the Texans this year.

Slaton is nothing more than a third down back? That is exactly what they thought of Dominick Davis when he was drafted. Look what happened (before the injury)...

And who are the old RB's besides Ahman Green?

peewee's lovechild
05-13-2008, 07:18 AM
Slayton runs head up, which is not very favorable in the NFL. And, what I have seen of him, he has a bit of a slow start. That doesn't make for a good combination. Plus, it's not like he ran up against some good defenses last season.

Last season they played:

Western Michigan
Marshall
Maryland
East Carolina
South Florida (loss)
Syracuse
Mississippi State
Rutgers
Louisville
Cincinnati
Connecticut
Pittsburg (loss)

The only notable wins were against Rutgers and Louisville, and that wasn't all that impressive. They lost to South Florida and friggin Pittsburg.

I doubt you get a featured back production from him.