PDA

View Full Version : Ahead 3-1, Spurs see Game 5 as a must-win

Spurs Brazil
04-28-2008, 06:30 PM
Ahead 3-1, Spurs see Game 5 as a must-win
By ELIZABETH WHITE, Associated Press Writer
58 minutes ago

AP - Apr 27, 5:34 pm EDT 1 of 14 NBA Gallery SAN ANTONIO (AP)—For the Phoenix Suns, Tuesday’s night Game 5 against San Antonio is a must-win.

The Spurs, who get their second straight chance to finish off the Suns, are treating it that way, too.

Even though the defending champions have a 3-1 series lead, they want to wrap it quickly and avoid a return trip to Phoenix.

“We know that winning a Game 6 there is going to be really tough. If we don’t, then Game 7 we know is a lottery,” Spurs guard Manu Ginobili said. “We don’t even have to think that there’s a Game 6 or Game 7. We have to take (Game 5) as a Game 7. We know we have a great opportunity at home.”

The Suns denied the Spurs what would have been a surprising sweep in four games with an energetic and convincing 105-86 rout at home in Game 4 on Sunday. They’ve extended their postseason at least one more game and plan to come to San Antonio with the same focus that sparked Boris Diaw’s near triple-double and Raja Bell’s 27 points.

“We’re down 3-1, we know we’ve got a long road to go, but we don’t think about the series, we think about Tuesday,” Suns coach Mike D’Antoni said. “We can win Tuesday. That’s the only thing we’re thinking about. That’s definitely a possibility and that’s what we want to make a reality.”

In the first two games, Phoenix built double-digit lead in the first half, only to give them away and allow the Spurs to rally. Not Sunday. The Suns controlled the game end-to-end.

And considering their double-overtime loss in the opener, the Suns don’t feel like 3-1 is an accurate reflection of the series.

“In our minds, we feel the series should be 2-2,” Suns big man Shaquille O’Neal said. “We let the first one slip away.”

As the series shifts to San Antonio, any shred of momentum they gained in Game 4 will be tested. But the Suns say their confidence is up.

“If we play as well as we did yesterday, we’ll win, and that’s all that we’re focusing on,” D’Antoni said.

D’Antoni said Diaw will start Game 5 in place of Grant Hill, who didn’t play Sunday and may sit out Tuesday because of a sore right groin.

“I don’t think we’re there. I don’t think he can play,” D’Antoni said. “We’ll see. It will always be an open possibility. Boris will start and we’ll see from there.”

Diaw started on Sunday and it seemed to work just fine. He made life hard on Spurs point guard and fellow Frenchman Tony Parker, who shot 7-of-17 from the field for 18 points. The 6-foot-8 Diaw also scored 20 points, grabbed 10 rebounds and dished out eight assists.

“He’s a great player, he’s a tough cover, he’s got a lot of different skills at his height,” said Spurs coach Gregg Popovich. “He’s just a fine player and Mike knows how to use him. He was a big problem for us.”

While the Suns like their chances, history doesn’t bode well for them. No NBA team has come back from 0-3 to win a series.

Are these Suns the ones? This series was billed as the first-round matchup to watch, with plenty of predictions that it would run the full seven games.

“We’re just excited to be alive still. After being 3-0, it’s nice to feel like we have a little life,” Suns point guard Steve Nash said.

After rolling over the Suns in Game 3 and looking like they were on their way to a sweep, the Spurs said that they played a little too “relaxed” in Game 4. Coupled with the Suns’ explosiveness, Game 4 was decided early for Phoenix, with Popovich pulling his stars late in the third quarter.

Popovich said the team focused on watching film on Monday.

“In general they played a great game,” Popovich said. “They had an edge, they were physical. They executed well, they did most things better than we did.”

Now, Ginobili said, the Spurs must take care of business at home, where they lost just seven games all season.

“We stopped doing the things that gave us results,” Ginobili said. “We let them loose and that’s the worst thing you can do against Phoenix.”

While the game plan may not change, it’s the energy and aggressiveness that must improve, said the Spurs’ Bruce Bowen.

“We were embarrassed as well. Part of it is the fact that as basketball players, the last thing you want to do is not give a great effort,” Bowen said. “We have to come out with a better effort than we did last game.”

AP Sports Writer Bob Baum in Phoenix contributed to this report.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AhfRjQMhO2SHIc2tZil9gJiM0bYF?slug=ap-suns-spurs&prov=ap&type=lgns

Brutalis
04-28-2008, 06:39 PM
Must win is all of them, I'm sure we all know this.

Diaw on Parker is a solid move and like any series we need to counter or just do what we did 100x better. NO is going to be equally tough and although I try not to look ahead I careless, I see them beaten within themselves closing a 'must win' game well.

Kyle45
04-28-2008, 06:41 PM
“In our minds, we feel the series should be 2-2,” Suns big man Shaquille O’Neal said. “We let the first one slip away.”

OK Shaq. In my mind the Easter Bunny will come over tonight and shit a billion-dollar check on my front lawn and the price of gas will drop to a penny a gallon. Doesn't make it reality.

td4mvp21
04-28-2008, 06:45 PM
Exactly what I wanted to hear from this team.

And fuck Shaq. That classless fatass is still saying stupid shit.

bigfundamental21
04-28-2008, 06:53 PM
“We know that winning a Game 6 there is going to be really tough. If we don’t, then Game 7 we know is a lottery,” Spurs guard Manu Ginobili said. “We don’t even have to think that there’s a Game 6 or Game 7. We have to take (Game 5) as a Game 7. We know we have a great opportunity at home.”

Manu knows, the Spurs know this series must end tomorrow night. No need to drag it on or give the Suns any more life than we already have.

:flag:

bigfundamental21
04-28-2008, 06:54 PM
OK Shaq. In my mind the Easter Bunny will come over tonight and shit a billion-dollar check on my front lawn and the price of gas will drop to a penny a gallon. Doesn't make it reality.

:lmao

Hook Dem
04-28-2008, 07:03 PM
Well, we let game 4 slip away so we feel we should be 4-0. How bout that Shaq??????????????????

urunobili
04-28-2008, 07:04 PM
it is a must win and we need to take care of business at home now!

remingtonbo2001
04-28-2008, 07:20 PM

:lol I think I just shed a tear.

ShoogarBear
04-28-2008, 08:58 PM
Who would cash a billion-dollar check? :wtf

T Park
04-28-2008, 09:00 PM
Who would cash a billion-dollar check? :wtf

A politician.

dbreiden83080
04-28-2008, 09:05 PM
Big 3 show up and we end this tomorrow, simple as that, come on Spurs lets not drag this on any longer.

T Park
04-28-2008, 09:07 PM
They'are saying the right things.

Whether they follow through with it and do it? Thats another thing.

Amuseddaysleeper
04-28-2008, 09:11 PM
They'are saying the right things.

Whether they follow through with it and do it? Thats another thing.

td4mvp21
04-28-2008, 09:36 PM
Yeah, they better damn well follow through with it :lol

Elraptor
04-28-2008, 09:36 PM
Yea with a team like Suns, they need to close it out in game 5 at home.

milkyway21
04-28-2008, 09:48 PM
game 5 is must win for the Spurs? this is ridiculous!

Reality check:
IT'S A WIN OR DIE GAME FOR THE SUNS, PEOPLE!
WIN OR GO HOME.

:fishing: is good for your health!

BiZNicK
04-28-2008, 10:12 PM
Spurs don't "need" to win this game, but it would be great if they did.

However, the Suns are the ones that "NEED" to win this game. And then the next two after that....

VinnyTestesVerde
04-28-2008, 10:15 PM

:lol:clap

phyzik
04-28-2008, 10:49 PM
I seriously hope Shaq retires soon and becomes a cop... That would be the better profession for him... All his big ego, asshole attitude, big mouth, and entitlement fit perfectly in with cops.

boutons_
04-28-2008, 11:15 PM
Like in Game3, start very strong on both ends, play all 48 minutes. Never give them a chance.

Nobody wants to go back to PHX. That's a big motivation.

pawe
04-28-2008, 11:28 PM
every game in the playoffs should be a must win anyways. make nash a scorer, penetrate the defense to get their bigs in foul trouble early and find a way to counter Diaw at the 3. I just hope Diaw wont go off again like he did the last game.

anjlbitz
04-28-2008, 11:32 PM
I seriously hope Shaq retires soon and becomes a cop... That would be the better profession for him... All his big ego, asshole attitude, big mouth, and entitlement fit perfectly in with cops.

NO! If he retires, that's $20 million out of the Suns payroll and they can potentially attract a superstar free agent and become a better team. (this is of course assuming that D'Antoni gets fired)

spursfan09
04-29-2008, 07:15 AM
I can't wait for this game! This game can not come soon enough!