PDA

View Full Version : Ludden: Starring appeal in premier matchup

Kori Ellis
01-21-2005, 01:07 AM
Starring appeal in premier matchup
Web Posted: 01/21/2005 12:00 AM CST

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA012105.1C.BKNspurs.suns.adv.2a810d33.html

PHOENIX — Manu Ginobili can see it already. No-look passes. Off-the-backboard dunks. Pull-up 30-footers.

And presiding over it all, smiling, is ... Gregg Popovich?

The same Spurs coach who blisters Ginobili for every too-quick 3-pointer? Whose mantra is "we win with defense"?

"He might want to yell," Ginobili said. "But he won't. Not at the All-Star Game."

When the Spurs and Phoenix Suns meet tonight at America West Arena, there will be no shortage of potential All-Stars on the floor.

With fan balloting ending Sunday, Tim Duncan is all but certain to be voted one of the Western Conference's starting forwards. Suns point guard Steve Nash, expected to return tonight after missing the previous three games, and center Amaré Stoudemire are near locks to make the team as reserves. Tony Parker, Ginobili and Phoenix forward Shawn Marion can use the ESPN telecast to bolster their credentials.

A couple of other All-Star candidates also will be on hand, though neither will be in uniform: Popovich and Suns coach Mike D'Antoni.

The coaching staff of the team with the highest winning percentage in each conference through Feb. 6 will work the Feb. 20 All-Star Game in Denver. The Spurs enter tonight an NBA-best 32-9, a half-game ahead of the Suns.

"What I want is to have the best record when they have that cutoff date," D'Antoni said. "Coaching (in the All-Star Game) goes with it.

"I'm sure Pop's been there enough times maybe it doesn't mean as much to him anymore, but it's still an honor. It means your team is best halfway through, and that's pretty heady stuff."

In truth, Popovich never has coached in an All-Star Game. And if he can make that same claim at the end of his career, he'll be all the more happy.

Popovich said he has "several plans already set in motion" for the weekend of Feb. 18-20.

"None of which," he added, "include the All-Star Game.

"It's a period of time I look forward to every year," Popovich said, "to both relax and retool some 'O's and 'X's and get ready for the second half."

Popovich, who traditionally heads to the West Coast for the All-Star break, would prefer to skip the game but is not going to boycott if selected.

"If it happens, it happens," he said. "I guess it means you have a good record."

For the Spurs, that's rare this time of year. In recent seasons they have waited until March to make their climb up the standings.

As recently as 10 days ago, Popovich's plans still seemed safe. Phoenix had a 3˝-game lead over the Spurs and was coming off an impressive victory over Miami.

The Suns lost the following night in Utah. Two days later, Nash injured his thigh early in a loss at Indiana. Phoenix dropped its next two games.

As Nash prepared to return this week, backup point guard Leandro Barbosa stepped on his foot in practice Tuesday. Nash twisted his back. Barbosa sprained his left ankle and had to go on the injured list.

Nash sat out Wednesday's loss to Memphis, the Suns' fifth straight, but D'Antoni thinks there's a good chance his point guard will play tonight. "Now, if he's back that doesn't mean we're going to beat San Antonio," D'Antoni said. "He played last time we played them, and it didn't make any difference."

The Spurs routed Phoenix 115-94 on Dec. 28 at the SBC Center, holding Nash scoreless the final three quarters. Because the teams play each other only three times this season, the Spurs can claim the head-to-head tiebreaker with a victory tonight.

Beating the Suns again also would push Popovich closer to Denver. Even if he doesn't want to go, at least a couple of his assistants are pushing for it. And for good reason: Each member of the winning coaching staff in the All-Star Game gets $20,000; the losing staff gets $10,000 each.

"Every time I make a joke about who cares," Popovich said, "they're all over me."

D'Antoni has one solution to Popovich's possible dilemma.

"Tell him," D'Antoni said, "to blow tonight's game."

LakerGod
01-21-2005, 01:50 AM
Phoenix will win Friday's game

Kori Ellis
01-21-2005, 02:06 AM
Well I won't bet on your prediction, LakerGod. So far you have a 9-32 record.

Tek_XX
01-21-2005, 02:13 AM
haha good one Kori Ellis, burn lakergawd

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-21-2005, 02:14 AM
So far you have a 9-32 record

:lol Someone just got owned.

kemikal
01-21-2005, 02:42 AM
^ :lol

Man In Black
01-21-2005, 02:58 AM
:devil
:lol Someone just got owned.
I actually think that lakerfraud's record is as follows:

1 FOR 666

LakerGod
01-21-2005, 06:54 AM
Well I won't bet on your prediction, LakerGod. So far you have a 9-32 record.
9 for 32?

Would please provide me with the links to that record?

I don't recall making such an aberration!

LakerGod
01-21-2005, 07:00 AM
btw, Why did you or your lovely husband deleted my predictions about your team's upcoming road trip?

Kaster
01-21-2005, 07:00 AM
9 for 32?

You're more wrong than right, more stupid than intelligent. Get it now? :lol

LakerGod
01-21-2005, 07:02 AM
and you're a MOFo bandwagon fan...

LakerGod
01-21-2005, 07:03 AM
giet now you MORON

Kaster
01-21-2005, 07:03 AM
and you're a MOFo bandwagon fan...

Don't deflect the argument. Are you or are you not a mentally handicapped child?

Kaster
01-21-2005, 07:04 AM
giet now you MORON

In English next time.

LakerGod
01-21-2005, 07:05 AM
:lol Man, you are making a fool of yourself you little old fart

LakerGod
01-21-2005, 07:11 AM
I thought so!

Kaster
01-21-2005, 07:13 AM
:lol Man, you are making a fool of yourself you little old fart

Is that really the best you could do?

How many times have you been wrong now? I think it would be fun to start a thread here making fun of your laughable predictions and sticky it. :lol

Kaster
01-21-2005, 07:14 AM
I thought so!

Hanging on my every word, are you? :nerd

LakerGod
01-21-2005, 07:17 AM
What predictions are you talking about? If I remember correctly I have only made a 10-game spurs prediction thread on this board but not 41.

Whos is keeping track on this?

LakerGod
01-21-2005, 07:19 AM
btw I was 5-5

Kaster
What predictions are you talking about? If I remember correctly I have only made a 10 spurs' game prediction thread on this board but not 41.

Whos is keeping track on this?

How many have you gotten wrong out of 10, 8 or so? Come on, count that shit and man up, don't be a punk and hide beyond your lack of good "memory".

Kaster
btw I was 5-5

Link that shit.

boutons
01-21-2005, 07:28 AM
:elephant

20 consecutive IGNOREd messags from cretinous trolls!

Somehow, life goes on....

:elephant

Kori Ellis
01-21-2005, 12:50 PM
9 for 32?

You are so stupid it's incredible. I didn't say 9 for 32; I said 9-32. It's not a shooting percentage, it's wins and losses.

If you didn't realize 9-32 is the exact reverse of the Spurs record, 32-9.

I was merely pointing out that you never think the Spurs will win.

And don't question me about deleting any of your stupid threads, you are lucky I allow you to post here. The only reason I do is because you apparently get some kind of pleasure out of posting on a Spurs forum and propping other teams, even though you bring no substance to the table and don't even have anything to say about your own losing team. I realize that you probably have no life, so allowing you to continue to post here is like my personal philanthropy project.

vanvannen
01-21-2005, 01:02 PM
Way to go Kori!!!

I think that is pretty much it for Lakerfraud. Go troll somwhere else you stupid moron.

Phenomanul
01-21-2005, 02:23 PM
You are so stupid it's incredible. I didn't say 9 for 32; I said 9-32. It's not a shooting percentage, it's wins and losses.

And don't question me about deleting any of your stupid threads, you are lucky I allow you to post here. The only reason I do is because you apparently get some kind of pleasure out of posting on a Spurs forum and propping other teams, even though you bring no substance to the table and don't even have anything to say about your own losing team. I realize that you probably have no life, so allowing you to continue to post here is like my personal philanthropy project.

Kori deserves another spur for this one..... classic. :princess

vanvannen
01-21-2005, 02:56 PM
Kori deserves another spur for this one..... classic. :princess

Damn right she does. Lakerfraud got owned big time. :elephant :elephant :elephant

bigzak25
01-21-2005, 02:58 PM
I realize that you probably have no life, so allowing you to continue to post here is like my personal philanthropy project.

dayyyyum. u got knocked the fuck out.

Rummpd
01-21-2005, 03:16 PM
Super intelligent take, Kori = genius level at least vs. moronic from the target audience.

MadDoc

milkyway21
01-21-2005, 08:08 PM
Phoenix will win Friday's gameNO amen to that LakerGod. :angel

P.S.
Happy to know Pops would coach ASG if selected :elephant

RobinsontoDuncan
01-21-2005, 09:25 PM
i wonder if he ever posts here again, did you know that guy is 25, seriously, check the calender, i can't beilieve an adult could act that stupid

deepsouth
01-21-2005, 11:58 PM
I cant believe how much pleasure gives me to know that LakerFraud is yelling his usual idiotic self and I only see this.

"This message is hidden because LakerGod is on your ignore list. "

indianspur
01-31-2005, 02:09 PM

For Lakergod.......this thread needs to be revived!!