PDA

View Full Version : KG pushed a ref last night.......anyone else see this?

DazedAndConfused
04-29-2008, 12:13 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKsS-3j9sfg

Should be an automatic suspension right? I mean if they suspend guys for getting off the bench and taking one step towards the court this has to be more egregious.

BlackSwordsMan
04-29-2008, 12:15 PM
Yeah some other boston player from the bench stepped on the court.
2 suspensions for Boston.

BlackSwordsMan
04-29-2008, 12:16 PM
Hawks might go 3-2 if this goes down

Strike
04-29-2008, 12:16 PM
Not sure. Could be called either way.

Stump
04-29-2008, 12:17 PM
The Celtic's success is too important to Stern. KG will be in game 5.

Findog
04-29-2008, 12:17 PM
Fuck enforcing the rules - It's all about Lakers-Celtics for Fuehrer Stern

DazedAndConfused
04-29-2008, 12:20 PM
I don't see how KG will not be suspended. The ref was trying to corral him and he blatantly pushed him away mouthing something like "Get off me". That's an automatic suspension, letter to the law.

Red Hawk #21
04-29-2008, 12:24 PM
Yo if Kg is not suspended it will make think something fishy is going on here, something like games are being decided...

Streakyshooter08
04-29-2008, 12:25 PM
Well, I don't like those kind of suspensions but if the NBA is consequent they will suspend KG for one game. We'll see what happens.

Xylus
04-29-2008, 12:26 PM
Hey Stern:

Letter of the law, asshole.

Findog
04-29-2008, 12:27 PM
Yo if Kg is not suspended it will make think something fishy is going on here, something like games are being decided...

Lakers-Celtics. Those teams are both good enough to make it to the finals without any fishy business, but why leave it to chance?

remingtonbo2001
04-29-2008, 12:28 PM
If Timmy is ejected for inadvertently bumping into an official, there shouldn't be any question.

Red Hawk #21
04-29-2008, 12:29 PM
Lakers-Celtics. Those teams are both good enough to make it to the finals without any fishy business, but why leave it to chance?

Mavs-Heat, Mavs can totally own the Heat but why let Cuban win?

DazedAndConfused
04-29-2008, 12:30 PM
The reason the rules are so strict......Brawl at the Palace. Dumbass Pistons fans ruined it for the entire NBA. I still can't believe they went on the court and tried to fight the Pacer fans. Fucking most pathetic thing I've seen in my life.

JamStone
04-29-2008, 12:30 PM
KG will not get suspended. Stern didn't even suspend Jason Kidd for pulling Pargo down to the floor by the back of the neck. No suspensions for anything in the Wizards-Cavaliers series. KG will not get suspended.

Strike
04-29-2008, 12:31 PM
Hey Stern:

Letter of the law, asshole.

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii108/jaxine_2007/bitter.jpg

BonnerDynasty
God. How great would it be to see Duncan and KG in the finals.

KG mouthing off the entire time, beating his chest, trying to start shit.

Duncan just killin em' softly.

Findog
If Timmy is ejected for inadvertently bumping into an official, there shouldn't be any question.

If Duncan can get ejected for having the temerity to laugh within 30 yards of Joey Crawford, then doesn't this have to be a suspension? And yet there's no word on it as of yet.

DazedAndConfused
04-29-2008, 12:32 PM
KG will not get suspended. Stern didn't even suspend Jason Kidd for pulling Pargo down to the floor by the back of the neck. No suspensions for anything in the Wizards-Cavaliers series. KG will not get suspended.

This is different though. There is no room for interpretation here, KG pushed a ref out of the way to get back into a fight. That's as clear cut as it gets. You don't leave the bench and you don't push refs. Automatic suspension. Book it.

Findog
Mavs-Heat, Mavs can totally own the Heat but why let Cuban win?

:bang :bang :bang :bang :bang

I'll be bitter about that for the rest of my life.

Taco
Did Garnet make contact with a ref?

when Kevin Garnett threw an elbow at Zaza Pachulia, they were saying on Mike & Mike the ref came in to seperate them and Garnett did not know who it was and shoved him off?

i can't find any video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKsS-3j9sfg

KG is wannabe thug. Pierce is a wannabe gangsta. Both are pussy ass bitches who shrink up in the clutch.

XKsS-3j9sfg

HE DID KNOW WHO HE SHOVED, HE'S LOOKING RIGHT AT THE REF WHEN HE SHOVED HIM OFF

BTW THE NBA DOESN'T HAVE THE STONES TO SUSPEND HIM

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93450&page=2

O-Factor
04-29-2008, 12:35 PM
Wow, KG totally bitched out, then when everyone else got involved he goes back into the fray.

No suspension though, remember, the NBA wants a Lakers-Celtics finals, so the league will do everything in their power to ensure that..........(haha, I sound like a suns fan boasting conspiracy)

JamStone
04-29-2008, 12:36 PM
This is different though. There is no room for interpretation here, KG pushed a ref out of the way to get back into a fight. That's as clear cut as it gets. You don't leave the bench and you don't push refs. Automatic suspension. Book it.

I actually agree that it should be a suspension. I just don't think it will be.

It will be very interesting to see what happens, but I just can't imagine it will be.

spurs_fan_in_exile
04-29-2008, 12:37 PM
The reason the rules are so strict......Brawl at the Palace. Dumbass Pistons fans ruined it for the entire NBA. I still can't believe they went on the court and tried to fight the Pacer fans. Fucking most pathetic thing I've seen in my life.

Ron and Jax brought the fight to them, but that's neither here nor there.

KG should be suspended and whatever dude stepped on the floor needs to sit as well. Getting physical with a ref is a big time no-no. I don't know what the rule precisely says, but everytime I've seen it happen the guy has gotten suspended. Did KG even get ejected for that? I didn't watch the game.

I can't wait to see the Broadway caliber song and dance routine Simmons will cook up to explain why the league should let this slide.

Borosai
04-29-2008, 12:40 PM
Both Perkins (Celtics) and Williams (Hawks) took a step onto the court (literally one foot), so we'll see what happens with those two. As for Garnett, he definitely pushed the ref away, but I doubt they will suspend that fool. Stern and Jackson were both at the game, by the way.

O-Factor
04-29-2008, 12:40 PM
Hawks are getting into the Celtics head.

BonnerDynasty
04-29-2008, 12:42 PM
EGIiO8SW7HA

I'm surprised the league didn't ban Bonner after he put KG on his ass.

One man and one many only will stand up to KG. He is....The RedBull.

Red Hawk #21
04-29-2008, 12:44 PM
^lol

Findog
04-29-2008, 12:45 PM
Farhan, AL: How come when Dirk gets tapped on the cheek and doesn't retaliate, he's torn apart for being soft, but when KG gets punked out by ZAZA FREAKING PACHULIA, he's lauded for keeping his cool? Seriously, this is the 2nd or 3rd time KG's been punked out. Remember Anthony Peeler in the 2004 playoffs? Dirk's NOT soft....anyone that's watched this series will tell you he's the only Mav who's shown up.

SportsNation Bill Simmons: (1:43 PM ET ) Very good point and I can't think of a good counter. It's not Dirk's fault that Dallas is blowing this series... although they'd have a better chance with Harris and Diop against the Hornets, I will say that.

Obstructed_View
04-29-2008, 12:45 PM
Probably neither of the guys who stepped onto the court will be suspended. Suns fans seem to be unable to differentiate between stepping forward and sprinting onto the court past the coach's box. I doubt the league will have the same problem.

KG's not getting suspended. If they were up 3-0 then maybe. At 2-2, there's just no chance. That KG didn't get an extra T and get thrown out is shocking enough. The league is too busy making sure to get tapes of everything Bruce Bowen does.

Borosai
04-29-2008, 12:46 PM
Bonner owns Garnett.

spurs_fan_in_exile
04-29-2008, 12:47 PM
On what fucking planet does that pass for KG "keeping his cool"?

Strike
04-29-2008, 12:48 PM
Farhan, AL: How come when Dirk gets tapped on the cheek and doesn't retaliate, he's torn apart for being soft, but when KG gets punked out by ZAZA FREAKING PACHULIA, he's lauded for keeping his cool? Seriously, this is the 2nd or 3rd time KG's been punked out. Remember Anthony Peeler in the 2004 playoffs? Dirk's NOT soft....anyone that's watched this series will tell you he's the only Mav who's shown up.

SportsNation Bill Simmons: (1:43 PM ET ) Very good point and I can't think of a good counter. It's not Dirk's fault that Dallas is blowing this series... although they'd have a better chance with Harris and Diop against the Hornets, I will say that.

He didn't even answer the question! :lol

miss paxton
04-29-2008, 12:48 PM
Since Garnett didn't even get ejected, I can't imagine he'll get suspended, even though I would think he should. Am I misremembering--didn't David Robinson once get thrown out for accidental contact with a ref, possibly Steve Javie?

Somebody upthread mentioned Duncan having been ejected--perhaps I'm thinking of the same event.

EDIT: Ok, I did remember it semi-correctly--David got kicked out for accidental contact with official Bennie Adams (not Javie) during a game against the Trail Blazers in March, 2000.

Findog
04-29-2008, 12:50 PM
He didn't even answer the question! :lol

The only silver lining to this terrible season for us is that Dirk has managed to somewhat redeem himself, and I didn't think that was possible. Those who understand how these things work know Dirk is a terrific talent and isn't soft.

We're in a bit of a tough spot, almost similar to the Wolves and KG: Dirk is going to turn 30 this summer and has about 3 years left of his prime, tops. He's been in the league since he was 19, so there's a lot of miles on his odometer. Do we have the assets to get him a competent supporting cast before his skills begin to erode? We don't have a lot of draft picks, we have no cap space for the immediate future, therefore we can only get better through trades. And other teams are not going to take our garbage in exchange for their diamonds. You have to give to get, and usually trades are only lateral movements.

I'd also say that much to my chagrin, the Kidd trade is going to haunt this franchise for years because of the cap implications. We're going out in the first round with him, which was pretty much the ceiling with Harris and Diop, and are we better? No, we're not, and our cap situation is much worse. Even when Kidd's contract comes off the books, we'll still be way over the cap. In order to make it work with Kidd, they need more athletic finishers. From a moneyball perspective, Devin Harris is the more desirable asset.

Red Hawk #21
04-29-2008, 12:52 PM

Kidd would have been the perfect guard to defend Baron last year and Devin would have been better to guard Chris Paul this year imo. It was bad timing.

mavsfan1000
04-29-2008, 12:58 PM
Garnett better get fucking suspended or David Stern is a freaking tool for suspending mavs players for far less. Fuck Stern.

hater
04-29-2008, 01:10 PM
the celtics have weak mentalities. starting from their big 3. They let any scrubby team get into their heads (Philly, Wizards and now ATL)

after last night I am 100% sure they will NOT win a championship this year.

it will be Lakers or Spurs

Pero
04-29-2008, 01:21 PM
KG should get suspended, punk ass bitch.... But probably won't, considering he didn't get thrown out of the game, and the series is 2-2.

Pero
04-29-2008, 01:22 PM
Celtics a championship team my ass.

Red Hawk #21
04-29-2008, 01:26 PM
Its funny what is going on with the Celtics, they get hyped up by the media all year, talk shit all year, showboat all year and as soon as my Hawks choose not to back down the Celtics begin to fold. What a joke, imo if we win this series this is worse than what happened to the Mavs last year. The Mavs weren't able to beat the Warriors for a long time before the playoffs even started, the Celtics however have been owning us all season and as soon as we start showing heart they begin to crumble. Lets GO Hawks!

Strike
04-29-2008, 01:27 PM
Its funny what is going on with the Celtics, they get hyped up by the media all year, talk shit all year, showboat all year and as soon as my Hawks choose not to back down the Celtics begin to fold. What a joke, imo if we win this series this is worse than what happened to the Mavs last year. The Mavs weren't able to beat the Warriors for a long time before the playoffs even started, the Celtics however have been owning us all season and as soon as we start showing heart they begin to crumble. Lets GO Hawks!

If the Hawks get past Boston, it will go down as the biggest choke in the history of professional sports. Even bigger than the Yankees choking 3-0 in '04

NoMoneyDown
04-29-2008, 01:29 PM
Its funny what is going on with the Celtics, they get hyped up by the media all year, talk shit all year, showboat all year and as soon as my Hawks choose not to back down the Celtics begin to fold. What a joke, imo if we win this series this is worse than what happened to the Mavs last year.

Or the INVINCIBLE 2003-2004 Lakers featuring Kobe, Shaq, Malone, and Payton.

ancestron
04-29-2008, 01:46 PM
Kevin Garnett should definitely be suspended a game for blatantly shoving an official during an altercation. Sam Cassell should also be suspended for trying to get involved and stirring up more shit.

If at least KG isn't suspended, its bullshit.

spurs_fan_in_exile
04-29-2008, 02:06 PM
Man, this postseason was supposed to be one for the ages, and it's almost living up to the hype but in the wrong places. Phoenix/SA and Dallas/NO were going to be 7 game slugfests with so many individual story lines that the nation couldn't help but fall in love with one of these small market teams and meet LA in the conference finals to monster ratings. Instead both series could end in 5 tonight. Meanwhile Detroit and Boston are staying afloat, and if Stu and Stern do their damn jobs Atlanta might be in position to go up 3-2. (They won't. On top of that look for the Celtics to foul out every last player the Hawks put on the floor in games 5 and 6.)

spursfan09
04-29-2008, 02:15 PM
:lol Sun fans don't even watch the game, they watch the benches at all times waiting just waiting for someone to step on the court.

Red Hawk #21
04-29-2008, 02:18 PM
Of course Stern will not suspend Garnett, even though he should he won't. David Stern continues to fuck up series every year. 2006- Mavs vs Heat(Dwade gets freethrows any time he is breathed on, ends up shooting 97 freethrows in 6 games)
2007- Amare and Boris Diaw suspended for leaving bench, suns lose pivotal game
2008- Garnett completely shoves ref which should be a suspension but Garnett plays for the almighty CELTICS so he gets a free pass. Keep up the good work Stern, more and more people will continue to realize how much of a joke you are turning the Nba into. Nothing New with Stern.

spurs_fan_in_exile
04-29-2008, 02:24 PM
After rewatching that video it becomes evident what a little bitch KG was. When the shit first hits the fan he lets the ref push him back nearly to half court with zero effort. Then once there's half a dozen guys holding everyone back and there's no chance of a fight, that's when he starts acting all tough and pulling his, "Let me at 'em, let me at 'em!" routine. He didn't want no Zaza.

Strike
04-29-2008, 02:28 PM
Of course Stern will not suspend Garnett, even though he should he won't. David Stern continues to fuck up series every year. 2006- Mavs vs Heat(Dwade gets freethrows any time he is breathed on, ends up shooting 97 freethrows in 6 games)
2007- Amare and Boris Diaw suspended for leaving bench, suns lose pivotal game
2008- Garnett completely shoves ref which should be a suspension but Garnett plays for the almighty CELTICS so he gets a free pass. Keep up the good work Stern, more and more people will continue to realize how much of a joke you are turning the Nba into. Nothing New with Stern.

Sorry, but that fails. Because Phoenix HAD A DOUBLE DIGIT LEAD in that game and choked it away. They were working the Spurs and couldn't finish.

And as far as KG, has game 5 started? At least wait until KG plays the next game before you reduce yourself to conspiracy theories.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
04-29-2008, 02:33 PM
He didn't just bump the ref, he grabbed him and moved him out of the way.

http://alt.coxnewsweb.com/cnishared/tools/shared/mediahub/01/60/22/orignal_522601_PNSUSG0_fight.jpg

Red Hawk #21
04-29-2008, 02:33 PM
Sorry, but that fails. Because Phoenix HAD A DOUBLE DIGIT LEAD in that game and choked it away. They were working the Spurs and couldn't finish.

And as far as KG, has game 5 started? At least wait until KG plays the next game before you reduce yourself to conspiracy theories.

You say it like I'm a suns fan when in reality I like the Spurs more than the suns, I'm just saying that if Diaw and Amare can get suspended for that shit last year than Garnett had better get suspended this year for that shit he completely shoved the ref which is worse than what amare and diaw did last year imo.

hater
04-29-2008, 02:47 PM
KG just punking out vs. player he's supposed to. nothing new here

ChumpDumper
04-29-2008, 02:49 PM
KG should be suspended. I don't see how anyone can argue against that.

From what I saw, the other players didn't go far enough away from the bench to get suspended.

Kori Ellis
04-29-2008, 02:55 PM

From what I saw, the other players didn't go far enough away from the bench to get suspended.

Agreed. There's some room for interpretation in regards to leaving the bench (I think the wording is "general vicinity.")

KG should be suspended, but I doubt they will do it.

FromWayDowntown
I think, if nothing else, the Duncan-Nies precedent compels the suspension of Garnett. Duncan's contact with Nies was at least in the context of trying to make a play and appeared to be reasonably accidental. In this case, Garnett is undoubtedly in the heat of the moment, but I'm not really sure that makes his case any better. The fact that Duncan's appeared inadvertent didn't buy him any leniency; the fact that Garnett's occurred during a confrontation that he exacerbated (at least in part) doesn't make his contact with the official, inadvertent or not, any more excusable.

The league has a real problem on its hands if it doesn't punish KG. It's saying, in essence, that as long as players are involved in confrontations with each other, they can do things to officials that they couldn't otherwise do. If it chooses against suspending Garnett, the league will have to either: (1) not suspend the next player who pushes an official during a confrontation (untenable, I think); or (2) admit that it made a special exception for Garnett (untenable, without a doubt).

ElNono
They should update the Gatorade commercial with that shove on the ref.

04-29-2008, 02:56 PM

KP walked onto the court during the altercation. If they go by last year, he'll get a one gamer. If they play favorites, neither will get suspended.

FromWayDowntown
04-29-2008, 03:01 PM
It turns out the contact with an official rule is very much like the leaving the bench rule:

Comments on the Rules

II. Basic Principles

E. PHYSICAL CONTACT—SUSPENSION
Any player or coach guilty of intentional physical contact with an official shall automatically be suspended without pay for one game. A fine and/or longer period of suspension will result if circumstances so dictate.

Phil Hellmuth
04-29-2008, 03:03 PM
People who threw some money on the 40 to 1 odds for ATL to win series are PRAYING for a KG suspension.

ChumpDumper
04-29-2008, 03:04 PM
KP walked onto the court during the altercation. If they go by last year, he'll get a one gamer. If they play favorites, neither will get suspended.One step on the court with no further movement towards the altercation won't get a suspension.

xtremesteven33
If OJ can get away with murder why cant Garnett play in game 5?

SRJ
Have the Hawks asked the league to look into it?

monosylab1k
It's pretty clear KG should be suspended, but I think that Fuehrer Stern has an out - the ref appeared to initiate contact with KG. He grabbed KG to hold him back, and that's when KG pushed him away.

Not saying that it's a decent excuse, but that may be what the NBA uses to justify not suspending Garnett.

FromWayDowntown
04-29-2008, 03:05 PM
Have the Hawks asked the league to look into it?

If I was head of the referees' union, I'd be asking the league to look at it.

At this point, the league should be taking it upon itself to look at that play.

hater
04-29-2008, 03:05 PM
too bad Bill Walton is out. I would have loved to see his reaction to this Boston meltdown

04-29-2008, 03:06 PM
One step on the court with no further movement towards the altercation won't get a suspension.

Going by memory, but isn't that exactly what Diaw did last year?

ChumpDumper
04-29-2008, 03:08 PM
Going by memory, but isn't that exactly what Diaw did last year?I really don't recall Diaw, but Amare ran quite a ways away from the "bench area" -- the phrase give the league a little leeway in interpretation.

I assume butthurt sunfans will be chiming in soon.

SRJ
04-29-2008, 03:08 PM
At this point, the league should be taking it upon itself to look at that play.

They absolutely should. But it may be in their best interest not to, so the Hawks should put a little public pressure on them.

oligarchy
04-29-2008, 03:14 PM
No one's getting suspended. They would have made the announcements already.

DazedAndConfused
04-29-2008, 03:16 PM
Can we stop with this stupid Lakers-Celtics conspiracy bullshit? Last I checked the Hawks won two fucking games, including the last one which was closely contested until the end. The Celtics are a pretty good team and the reason they won 60+ games is because they are a good fucking team, not because Stern is telling the refs to give them all the calls.

hater
04-29-2008, 03:16 PM
from boston globe:

"To make matters worse for the Celtics, it's possible that Garnett and Kendrick Perkins could be suspended for Game 5 for their involvement in a second-quarter skirmish last night. Hawks forward Marvin Williams also is in jeopardy.

After a loose rebound with 7:24 left in the half, a frustrated Garnett gave Atlanta center Zaza Pachulia an elbow after the play was dead. Pachulia retaliated with what appeared to be a head butt. Players on both teams began to bunch up and mouth off, but the coaches ran on the floor to separate them.

Pachulia was given a foul and technical foul while Garnett, Johnson, and Boston's Sam Cassell were assessed technicals.

Replays showed Garnett shoving referee Ed Rush, and Perkins and Williams went on the floor from the bench, which usually means an automatic one-game suspension. "

SRJ
04-29-2008, 03:20 PM
Can we stop with this stupid Lakers-Celtics conspiracy bullshit?

Yeah, the Lakers never benefit from the league's help.

Sincerely,

Games 6 + 7, 2002 Western Conference Finals

DazedAndConfused
04-29-2008, 03:23 PM
Spurs lost to the better team in 2001, 2002, and again in 2004. Face it, the 3-peat Lakers were flat out better than the Spurs during that time frame. I liken it to the way the Suns/Spurs rivalry is now (although PHX has never actually won), the Lakers always had the mental edge over the Spurs. 2003 is the only year the Spurs finally got over the hump, and it was because the Lakers lost so many key role players that year. In 2004 they received 4 straight losses in a row.

spurs_fan_in_exile
04-29-2008, 03:23 PM
The only way the league can try to spin this if don't suspend (which would still be a violation of a pretty clear cut rule) is that the ref in question didn't think it was enough contact to warrant sending KG to the locker room.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around why he wasn't tossed. You had the initial scuffle with Pachulia, which warranted 1 tech. Then, after they'd been separated and things were dying down KG starts running his mouth and flaring the situation back up. Even if he hadn't laid a finger on the official I still think he'd deserved an ejection. All eyes have been on Spurs/Suns just waiting for something controversial to happen then they get this. Stern is probably wondering what he did to piss God off that much.

JamStone
04-29-2008, 03:25 PM
More I think about it, I'm more swayed towards most of your position that he really should be suspended.

I guess the only way I think they can spin it is that KG didn't initiate the contact. Eddie Rush was wrapping his arms around KG first. Not that it's legit, but that's a possibility to explain why they might not suspend him.

xtremesteven33
04-29-2008, 03:26 PM
Spurs lost to the better team in 2001, 2002, and again in 2004. Face it, the 3-peat Lakers were flat out better than the Spurs during that time frame. I liken it to the way the Suns/Spurs rivalry is now (although PHX has never actually won), the Lakers always had the mental edge over the Spurs. 2003 is the only year the Spurs finally got over the hump, and it was because the Lakers lost so many key role players that year. In 2004 they received 4 straight losses in a row.

2001- duncan hurt
2002-Parker rookie, manu rookie and bowen 2nd year
2003- fair game, we beat them
2004- .4 second robbery.....

FromWayDowntown
04-29-2008, 03:29 PM
More I think about it, I'm more swayed towards most of your position that he really should be suspended.

I guess the only way I think they can spin it is that KG didn't initiate the contact. Eddie Rush was wrapping his arms around KG first. Not that it's legit, but that's a possibility to explain why they might not suspend him.

I think that's the only rationalization, but I still think it's problematic if that interpretation is applied consistently. When an official grabs a player during a fracas, the player is obliged to respect the official. If the player chooses to re-enter the confrontation and to do so by exerting force on the official, the player has broken the rule -- he's intentionally made contact with the official -- and should be subject to the punishment that the rule imposes.

Frankly, the gang that should be most pissed if KG isn't suspended in this circumstance is Suns Fan. Those guys are going to go f'n nuclear if the black letter of the rule isn't applied in this circumstance.

FromWayDowntown
04-29-2008, 03:32 PM
2001- duncan hurt
2002-Parker rookie, manu rookie and bowen 2nd year
2003- fair game, we beat them
2004- .4 second robbery.....

Fail. Fail. Fail.

1. Duncan was completely healthy in 2001 (Duncan was hurt in 2000, when the Spurs lost to the Suns).

2. Parker was a rookie in 2002 and Bowen was in his first year with the Spurs, but Manu was playing in Italy. And what difference does any of that make?

3. You're a jackass if you believe that only 2003 was a fair game. The Lakers whipped the Spurs asses in 2001, beat them soundly in 2002, lost respectably in 2003, and won respectably in 2004.

You can't really be making an argument that the Spurs were better than the Lakers between 2001 and 2004. It's one thing to argue that the Spurs are the dominant team of the post-Jordan era; it's something else entirely to argue that the Spurs were the league's best team between 2000-2004.

SRJ
04-29-2008, 03:32 PM
Frankly, the gang that should be most pissed if KG isn't suspended in this circumstance is Suns Fan. Those guys are going to go f'n nuclear if the black letter of the rule isn't applied in this circumstance.

And for once, it won't involve the Spurs.

If it goes down that way, I'll stand arm in arm with Suns fan. I'll even sign one of those online petitions that always accomplish so much.

Borosai
04-29-2008, 03:34 PM
Well, at least it's in the paper. It cannot be ignored now.

miss paxton
04-29-2008, 03:35 PM
Since the rule simply refers to intentional physical contact, not who initiated it, it seems like the argument that KG didn't initiate it would be a weak rationalization for the league. I would assume the reason the rule is so strict is that they simply do not want the players purposely touching the officials, ever, for any reason, and particularly not when it looks like there may be an altercation. I can see why this has to be a bright-line rule from the league's perspective, since all the officials really have to prevent fights breaking out is their authority.

FromWayDowntown
04-29-2008, 03:35 PM
If it goes down that way, I'll stand arm in arm with Suns fan.

Me too.

Str8Ballin
04-29-2008, 03:38 PM
an officials job during an altercation is to get in between the players and restrain them if necessary. Ed Rush was doing his job. KG blatantly shoved him off. I have a feeling he will be suspended.

timvp
04-29-2008, 03:45 PM
KG won't get suspended. Duncan got suspended for less but that was the regular season and Duncan doesn't play for Boston.

However, if I'm the Hawks, I'm not protesting too hard. KG is a great player but I'd say he's more prone to a choke job than Allen or Pierce. If it's a close game, the Hawks can handle Garnett more than they can handle Pierce getting continuous isos.

BiZNicK
04-29-2008, 03:46 PM
KG should just get suspended for getting punked by Zaza.....

and lmao @ KG trying to act hard after he backs away from Zaza and there are refs holding him back...

1Parker1
04-29-2008, 04:01 PM
Ironically, the Celtics biggest strength may also be their biggest weakness; KG. If he can't even keep his cool against the Hawks, what does he think is going to happen in later rounds as the games get tighter?

DazedAndConfused
04-29-2008, 04:02 PM
KG is HUGE for BOS's defense. They absolutely need him in there for rebounding and shotblocking. ATL actually has a chance of pulling out Game 5 if KG is not playing.

FromWayDowntown
04-29-2008, 04:08 PM
KG won't get suspended. Duncan got suspended for less but that was the regular season and Duncan doesn't play for Boston.

However, if I'm the Hawks, I'm not protesting too hard. KG is a great player but I'd say he's more prone to a choke job than Allen or Pierce. If it's a close game, the Hawks can handle Garnett more than they can handle Pierce getting continuous isos.

I still think KG should be suspended, but I agree with this take.

It's funny to see the hard-line Boston guys come to the realization that has been so apparent about KG for so long. Even Simmons admitted today in his chat that the KG vs. Duncan argument is pretty much a non-starter anymore. As Boston Homer Simmons said, there's virtually no chance that Duncan no-shows in a game like that one that the Celtics played last night. It was hardly suprising to see that from KG. Thus, even if the Celtics win the title and KG is a big part of that, Duncan's place above Garnett in the lore of the NBA is completely secure.

Pero
04-29-2008, 04:16 PM
Pachulia retaliated with what appeared to be a head butt.

Man what BS, what head butt? If there'd be a head butt for real no one would be saying "appeared".

Cry Havoc
04-29-2008, 04:26 PM
Man what BS, what head butt? If there'd be a head butt for real no one would be saying "appeared".

Maybe he was trying to nuzzle him. They can't be sure.

Obstructed_View
04-30-2008, 01:32 AM
I remember when Van Exel was with the Lakers and he accidentally touched a ref and was suspended..

Actually he shoved an official into the scorer's table and was suspended for seven games and fined 25k.

And I remember Malik Rose getting teed up by an official for pushing the guy's hand off him while they were talking. KG didn't get anything for what he did.

peskypesky
04-30-2008, 01:48 AM
KG should be suspended one game for pushing the ref and maybe one for throwing that elbow at Pachulia. But the NBA is sucking KG's nuts, so we'll see if anything happens.

Avitus1
04-30-2008, 02:02 AM
I'll be shocked if anything happens.