PDA

View Full Version : I'm sick and tired of how many people overrate the "flukiness" of Duncan's 3 ball...

Amuseddaysleeper
04-29-2008, 01:30 PM
I get it, it was a crazy shot, and one that you don't expect to happen in a game.

However, seeing that TD can hit the 18 footer fairly consistently, is it so hard to believe that a wide open 3 isn't out of the question?

Don't get me wrong, it was an amazing amazing amazing shot, but some of the critics are making it sound like Duncan had a 1/1000 chance of making it, and he got lucky and it went in.

I thought his shot over Shaq in '04 was way "flukier" than this.

sorry, just had to vent.

Princess Pimp
04-29-2008, 01:33 PM
Because it was a FLUKE!

How many times he does that on a regular basis?

bdictjames
04-29-2008, 01:34 PM
This was what? 2 weeks ago?

I agree man, from Duncan's form its very effective to hit from long range. The guy did a hook shot from 18 feet away from the basket, fading away too, and he cant hit an uncontested three. I thought that had at least a 60% chance of going in.

duncan228
04-29-2008, 01:35 PM
For his career in 3 point shots:

24-126

All-Star 1-3

Playoffs: 4-24

I'm not surprised that he hit it, it was a clutch shot and he's a clutch player. But the stats aren't with him, so other people being surprised isn't shocking.

Amuseddaysleeper
04-29-2008, 01:35 PM
It was 2 weeks ago or so, but with all this "the series SHOULD be 2-2" because of the rarity of TD's shot, it's just kind irritating.

But whatever.

Plus, while it may have been the only 3 TD took all season, I really believe that if he wanted, he has the skill set to develop a reliable 3 point shot.

Princess Pimp
04-29-2008, 01:37 PM
FLUKE, FLUKE, FLUKE, Just like your championship in 1999*

hater
04-29-2008, 01:38 PM
I was not surprised. I knew that shot was going in the moment Duncan caught the ball. He was wide open and that is the best angle to shott a 3pt shot. Plus he is a clutch superstar and that's what superstars do. it was destiny that's all.

Amuseddaysleeper
04-29-2008, 01:39 PM

Well, we went 15-2 that year, so I don't know how winning it was a "fluke"

Strike
04-29-2008, 01:39 PM
PUKE PUKE PUKE all stuff I ate last night in the dumpster in the alley behind the chinese food joint!

Fixed.

Manu's Bald Spot
04-29-2008, 01:46 PM
I think Princess Pimp needs a hug

Xylus
04-29-2008, 02:04 PM
The fact that Duncan can shoot 3-pointers accurately doesn't surprise me... I've seen Amare do it many times this season, so it didn't really come as a surprise.

But the fact that it was the only 3-pointer he's made all season (maybe the only one he's attempted, I'm not sure) was what was so unbelievable about it.

kace
04-29-2008, 02:07 PM

24-126

All-Star 1-3

I'm not surprised that he hit it, it was a clutch shot and he's a clutch player. But the stats aren't with him, so other people being surprised isn't shocking.

yes, but as Duncan doesn't usually take 3's, most of them should be very late in the clock, with desperate and unscheduled situations. not the best way to have a good %.

Duncan isn't obviously a 3 pts shooter. but i agree with the OP saying that he's an overall decent shooter and that's it's not a miracle that he puts in a wide open 3 with a lot of time to shoot, like it would be the case if O'Neal did the same e.g.

spursfan09
04-29-2008, 02:09 PM
Who cares what others think. He was wide open when he took it. He squared up and shot it with confidence. Won the game, and nobody can take it away from the Spurs.

DarrinS
04-29-2008, 02:11 PM
Remember the long half-court shot that Manu made against the Suns in 2003?

How many of those do you think he could make in a row?

Now, here's three words you'll never hear in an NBA game:

"Shaq for three!"

duncan228
04-29-2008, 02:14 PM
But the fact that it was the only 3-pointer he's made all season (maybe the only one he's attempted, I'm not sure) was what was so unbelievable about it.

Duncan was 0-4 in the regular season.

jmard5
04-29-2008, 02:18 PM

"Ladies and Gentlemen, the Phoenix Suns will dominate this series sweeping the Spursies 4-0
If the Suns win Game 1 this will be a sweep!
You will get embarrassed in front of a worldwide audience."
- Princess Pimp

polandprzem
04-29-2008, 02:21 PM
Great players do great things, like hit some clutch shots and Tim is familiar with the 3 point line

Str8Ballin
04-29-2008, 02:33 PM
I don't think Flukiness is a word.

When Manu started to the basket from his left, and drew shaq and the other fuckhead (was it Bell? I have blocked it from my mind) I knew we were screwed. I didnt know what was going to happen, but it was the tricky yet so painfully obvious kinda shit the Spurs always do. When Duncan received the pass and lined up the shot, my mind told me "no way he makes it", but deep down, I knew it was money before it even left his hands. It was a sick play in rhythm executed to perfection and it still haunts my dreams. thanks.

Amuseddaysleeper
04-29-2008, 02:39 PM
I don't think Flukiness is a word.

hence why it was in quotations.

Good luck tonight.

SRJ
04-29-2008, 02:40 PM
I've seen Tim hit hundreds of 17+foot jumpers in his career, so I knew he had a good shot at making it. He's got fantastic touch and great arm action on his jumper. The fact that he seldom shoots the three made it more unlikely; the circumstances made it seem almost impossible.

The more you see of Duncan, the less surprising it is.

BiZNicK
04-29-2008, 02:41 PM
A fluke? lol

Calling it a "fluke" would make more sense if he threw a hookshot from the 3pt line, richocheted off of Bell's shoulder (causing him to flop himself out of bounds), bouncing off Shaq's big head, off the shot clock, and into the rim.

It wasn't luck or anything, just skill.

duncan228
04-29-2008, 02:41 PM
It was a sick play in rhythm executed to perfection and it still haunts my dreams. thanks.

"Executed to perfection"...When the Spurs are on their game that's who they are. If you're a Spurs fan it's a thing of beauty to watch. I can see how it wouldn't be if it's your team they're playing against.

It's the Championship blood in them and it's why I never give up on them. They know how to execute, no matter what the situation.

Red Hawk #21
04-29-2008, 02:42 PM
That shot was no fluke, did you not see his form on that shot? It was beautiful, I remember watching that game and being in total disbelief, I was in disbelief not because he made it but the fact that he was actually the one to shoot the three. That was such a great moment.

Str8Ballin
04-29-2008, 02:43 PM
flukefully fluketastic!

good luck to the Spurs tonight. If you guys knock us out, which you're sure to do, I'll be hoping the dirty floppers get another ring.

nkdlunch
04-29-2008, 02:45 PM
Duncan made a half court shot on the 1st try in the allstar this year. For people who know better, this is nothing new. He is one clutch mofo. that's all

NoMoneyDown
04-29-2008, 02:48 PM
I get it, it was a crazy shot, and one that you don't expect to happen in a game.

However, seeing that TD can hit the 18 footer fairly consistently, is it so hard to believe that a wide open 3 isn't out of the question?

Don't get me wrong, it was an amazing amazing amazing shot, but some of the critics are making it sound like Duncan had a 1/1000 chance of making it, and he got lucky and it went in.

I thought his shot over Shaq in '04 was way "flukier" than this.

sorry, just had to vent.

I think if he would have banked it in people wouldn't have questioned it so much.

:toast

WildcardManu
04-29-2008, 02:53 PM
Because it was a FLUKE!

How many times he does that on a regular basis?

The Suns could have and should have covered Timmy, and because of that, you have to live with the fluke shot that went in.

CosmicCowboy
04-29-2008, 02:55 PM
Fluke? LOL

That was a called play out of a timeout with Tim as the second option...Why do you think he was hiding out above the three point line instead of cutting for the basket? Pop totally blew the Suns mind (and their defense) with that play.

You can't take Tims game stats as an accurate indicator of his ability to hit a three. Tim shooting threes is not a normal part of the Spurs game plan so he rarely takes threes in rhythm on called plays...Many of those misses were baseball style shots from the other end of the court after taking the inbounds pass with quarters expiring (which still count as missed threes) or off balance throw ups to beat the shot clock when better options weren't available...

Suns fans need to get over the fact that just because Duncan doesn't play like Dirk and chunk up shot after shot from the perimeter he clearly can square up and shoot threes in rhythm when the situation calls for it.

WildcardManu
04-29-2008, 03:02 PM
Fluke? LOL

That was a called play out of a timeout with Tim as the second option...Why do you think he was hiding out above the three point line instead of cutting for the basket? Pop totally blew the Suns mind (and their defense) with that play.

You can't take Tims game stats as an accurate indicator of his ability to hit a three. Tim shooting threes is not a normal part of the Spurs game plan so he rarely takes threes in rhythm on called plays...Many of those misses were baseball style shots from the other end of the court after taking the inbounds pass with quarters expiring (which still count as missed threes) or off balance throw ups to beat the shot clock when better options weren't available...

Suns fans need to get over the fact that just because Duncan doesn't play like Dirk and chunk up shot after shot from the perimeter he clearly can square up and shoot threes in rhythm when the situation calls for it.

If any, blame the Suns for letting Timmy getting comfortable with his shot during the game, the man was making his jump shots, why can't he make a three if he sets himself up when wide open? His confidence was high for shooting during that game, so why not jack up the three

Jdspur20
04-29-2008, 03:07 PM

24-126

All-Star 1-3

exactly. he's a clutch player. he knows when to turn it on. as a spurs fan, i wasnt shocked at all. he had a good look at it and plenty of time to shoot. (i'm sure he plays around at the 3 point line in practice accasionally.)

duncan228
04-29-2008, 03:08 PM
That was a called play out of a timeout with Tim as the second option...

The play has been described differently from the time it happened. In the post game press conference Pop said Duncan was his third option and "imagine my horror when it went in his direction." I think Manu said something about trusting Duncan when he passed it to him.

And Duncan says something else on his site:

"Still, instead of responding to all the e-mails I've gotten about it, let me answer some of the things that people most seem to want to know about that shot. First, the play was not drawn up that way. I couldn't remember when the last three-pointer I shot took place prior to that one (except the one in the shootout at the All Star game), but I can assure you that we have guys on the team that can hit that with better accuracy. What happened was that Shaquille O'Neal left me to try to block Manu Ginobili's drive to the basket. I pulled back beyond the arc at that moment and somehow Manu saw me standing wide open. I don't have to tell you that he has amazing court vision. The fact that he hit me with an incredibly fast and accurate pass at that moment is incredible. He was flying to the basket, yet he swung that ball through the air, past the reach of our opponents and squarely into my hands. Still, the game was not over at that point. As I said earlier, winning in the playoffs is all about teamwork. Many of us have played together for some time and we spend all year getting ready for these types of moments in the playoffs."

http://www.slamduncan.com/diary.php

I think it's par for the course with this team. Everyone is giving everyone else the credit.

spursfor5
04-29-2008, 03:12 PM
It was an amazing shot, no doubt about it. But I don't know why people are so surprised. He did hit the 3 point shots in the Shooting Stars Competition during the All Star Break.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=I0JDOq64ahI

I think its even funnier all the comments the commentators made about Tim's 3-pt shooting. If they only knew then what they know now.

Amuseddaysleeper
04-29-2008, 03:23 PM
LOL

speaking of "flukiness"

Dan (Chicago, Il): Is game 5 a career defining game for Nash, D'antoni, et al.? Seems to me a win could make a season (career?) savagable for the Suns while a loss would change quite a bit.

SportsNation Bill Simmons: (12:29 PM ET ) Depends on how the game plays out - if they quit in the second half like Dallas did on Sunday night (how humiliating was that?), then yes, I'd agree. But this was a pretty flukey series. Phoenix choked away Game 1 three different times. They were right there in game 2, and then in Game 3, SA played the single best playoff game that anyone will play in this entire playoffs. If they played this series 10 times, I still think each team would win 4 times, then the other 2 times would come down to luck-breaks-bounces etc.

SportsNation Bill Simmons: (12:29 PM ET ) Anyway, if Phoenix just gives up tonight, I'd say that Mike D needs to go and they need to re-invent the team. Regardless, he should be coaching Toronto, that's the perfect team for him.

michaelwcho
04-29-2008, 03:29 PM

24-126

All-Star 1-3

True, but I wonder how many of those were desperation heaves as opposed to well-set up shots. I have a feeling TD would be tough in "Around the World".

duncan228
04-29-2008, 03:31 PM
True, but I wonder how many of those were desperation heaves as opposed to well-set up shots. I have a feeling TD would be tough in "Around the World".

Most that I remember were end of the shot clock have to put it up.

Galileo
04-29-2008, 03:56 PM

24-126

All-Star 1-3

good find duncan228.

Also remember that many of these threes are desperation shots at the end of a quarter and with a low shot clock. Duncan shoots much better than 19% when he has an uncontested open look at a three.

twincam
04-29-2008, 05:30 PM
Tim Duncan squared himself up for the shot. It was a legitament 3-pointer that went in. It was not luck. It's just something that people don't see from Duncan on a normal/frequency basis. It's not like if he'd never make another 3-pointer in his career. He was at the right place at, the right time. It was a pure clutch shot. If it was a premier 3-point shooter who actually missed the shot, he'd be criticized, no matter what. So basically, you have a 50% chance of making a big wide open shot (on that one attempt), no matter who you are. The best 3-point shooter in the NBA is shooting about 47%, so that speaks volumes when it comes to chances of making a big 3 or missing a big 3. Feel better now? Numbers don't lie.

So in short, "you're damned if you do, and you're damned if you don't" when it comes to making/missing a big shot. It's life. All haters MUST get over it and blame D'Antoni for not fouling the Spurs when they should have. They (Suns) failed to do so TWICE and in the same game. Live and learn the "first time", not the "second".

The San Antonio Spurs...."Hated by many, envied by all" -My personal motto:lobt:

Tacker
04-29-2008, 05:32 PM
Any professional basketball player can hit an uncontested thre

LavaLamp
04-29-2008, 05:36 PM
I like how Duncan says it: "I have great confidence in that shot. It's just that no one else does." (not verbatim)

lrrr
04-29-2008, 06:24 PM
Any professional basketball player can hit an uncontested thre

Except Shaq.

But how many can do it with a game on the line? A playoff game?

Anyone who calls this a "lucky" shot sounds just like Vlade Divac after Horry stuck them with the 3 ball at the buzzer in game 4. That is LOOOOOOSER talk.