PDA

View Full Version : Nash expected back tonight for Spurs game

Jimcs50
01-21-2005, 11:00 AM
Nash expected back tonight for Spurs game
By Mike Tulumello, Tribune
Is it all Steve Nash?
After all, Nash played in two of the Suns’ five straight losses, a skid that has cost them their status as the NBA’s top team.
Tonight’s visit by the new No. 1, the San Antonio Spurs — against whom Nash is expected to play — won’t provide the best gauge of the Suns’ recent problems.

After all, even when the Suns (31-9) were blitzing the NBA, they generally regarded the Spurs as the league’s best team. That view was reinforced when the Spurs blew out the Suns on Dec. 28 at the SBC Center.

Yet if the Suns win tonight, "This will be viewed as a small bump," Suns guard Casey Jacobsen said of the team’s skid.

Speaking in general terms about his team’s slide, coach Mike D’Antoni said, "I just don’t know how we could have lost what we had for 35 games.

"We have a lot of games left," the Suns coach said. "We’ll get Steve back, we’ll get our strut back and we’ll win a lot of games."

As expected, Nash didn’t practice Thursday. He underwent treatments on his sore back and his status is a gametime decision.

All in all, "It’s not 100 percent but I think the needle is pointing more positive than negative," D’Antoni said.

Asked if he’s distressed that the Suns could fare so poorly with Nash out, D’Antoni had a ready reply:

"No, I think we knew that last year. We’d watch (Dallas) Mavericks games and say, ‘If we had that guy, we’d be really good.’ " Duh!

He admitted, however, that, "We’ve been pressing. We need to get our chin up and head straight."

The Suns will need more from Amaré Stoudemire, who was dormant in Wednesday’s loss to Memphis.

Defenders are "focusing on me a lot more," Stoudemire said Thursday. "It’s a lot easier with Steve because they have to respect everybody.

"Steve is our motor. With Steve, they can’t press us because he’s so fast with the ball."

Without Nash, "I see a team similar to the team we had last year," says Jacobsen. "Some of the same problems have shown up."

Ball movement has slowed, "And we have to manufacture every single shot," Jacobsen says.

"We don’t get easy baskets. You need that to get your confidence up. We can’t shoot 3s and jumpers on every possession."

Nash forces a frenzied pace that seems to suit the Suns best. Anybody who doesn’t race down the floor with him isn’t likely to get the ball for a quick score.

Also, "He makes everybody a little more at ease in their role," D’Antoni says. "Without him, everybody tries to do a little too much.

"Out on the floor, it gets a little demoralizing."

Rummpd
01-21-2005, 03:30 PM
Nash back = Parker pasting number 2.

No worries and no excuses from Suns fans. They were and are the Mavs of several years back & no more (if that).

MadDoc

texbound
01-21-2005, 07:58 PM
Without Nash, "I see a team similar to the team we had last year," says Jacobsen. "Some of the same problems have shown up."

Ball movement has slowed, "And we have to manufacture every single shot," Jacobsen says.

"We don’t get easy baskets. You need that to get your confidence up. We can’t shoot 3s and jumpers on every possession."

Thanks for saying it like it is Casey. For that, we're going to trade your ass to NBA hell this season. Congratulations.

milkyway21
01-21-2005, 08:38 PM
correct me if I'm wrong but, if Nash will play & he's not 100% ok, I can already see Parker abusing him...better think twice Nash.

Dre_7
01-21-2005, 08:43 PM
correct me if I'm wrong but, if Nash will play & he's not 100% ok, I can already see Parker abusing him...better think twice Nash.

If nash is slowed up by an injury, Parker should be able to blow by him every time. I think we got this game, now SA just has to SHOW UP!!

ShoogarBear
01-21-2005, 08:46 PM
I don't think it's possible to play worse defense than Nash does when healthy.

Maybe playing injured will somehow make his D better.