PDA

View Full Version : Harvey: Shaq Walks Away, And It's Personal

duncan228
04-30-2008, 02:04 AM
Damn, it's good to be a Duncan fan. :smokin

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/columnists/bharvey/stories/MYSA043008.01C.COL.BKNharvey.spurs.b30c891f.html

Buck Harvey: Shaq walks away, and it's personal
San Antonio Express-news

Shaquille O’Neal walked down the court with some grace. No more words, no more bravado.

He reached out with his fist, and there was Tim Duncan with his, and their fists tapped.

Then O’Neal walked away, having not only lost a game but also a personal battle with the other great big man of this era.

Now Duncan, after a series that was far tighter than the 5-game length suggests, is in position to become the greatest.

Duncan had a few things going for him in this first round, such as the best point guard. Tony Parker took over again, almost as well as he did in Game 3 in Phoenix, and the contrast to Steve Nash was just as startling.

Nash ended with five turnovers while making only 4 of 16 shots, and a final moment ruined the Suns. Then, down by only two with 24 seconds left, an inbounds pass glanced off his hands and out of bounds.

But that was merely one of a seemingly thousand critical plays, with Duncan being involved in most. He defended Shaq and Amare Stoudemire, and he piled up 29 points and 17 rebounds, and he stayed out of foul trouble.

The best big man? There was never a doubt, when once there was a lot. Duncan and Shaq have been the standard of excellence in the league, and a common statistic says how much. Since Michael Jordan retired, one or the other has been in every NBA Finals.

For Shaq, there’s a lot of symmetry involved. He came out of a San Antonio high school, after all, and he persisted in creating a rivalry with another Spurs big man, David Robinson.

But ultimately, Duncan became Shaq’s adversary. Shaq eliminated Duncan three times (2001, 2002 and 2004), and now Duncan has eliminated Shaq three times (1999, 2003 and this season).

They’ve also won four titles each, and Shaq has been well aware of this. When he arrived in Phoenix two months ago, he told one teammate of his goal.

“I need to get my fifth ring,” Shaq said, “before Duncan gets his.”

Duncan has to do a few things before he gets his fifth. The younger Hornets have routed the Spurs a few times this season, and the Spurs won’t have the home-court advantage.

Then there’s Chris Paul: Parker will find he’s not a 34-year-old Nash.

But Duncan, not Shaq, is the one with the chance now, and Tuesday outlined a reason. There’s a 15-foot shot called a free throw, and Gregg Popovich asked Shaq to make a few.

“I just find it quite funny that when you’re up 20 that you do it,” Shaq said after Game 4. “It still shows me that I’m the most feared 36-year-old guy on the planet.”

What it really showed after he missed 11 free throws Tuesday: Shaq is one of the worst-shooting 36-year-old guys on the planet.

The strategy didn’t say much about Popovich’s confidence in his defense. But it was theater every time Shaq went to the line, with the crowd howling.

Shaq has always said he makes them when he has to. Memphis’ John Calipari coincidentally said the same this month in San Antonio, and that didn’t work out, either, in the Final Four.

The Suns were once one of the best free-throwing shooting teams in the league. Shaq made them one of the worst. At halftime, the Spurs had made all 12 of their attempts; the Suns, with twice as many attempts then, scored one fewer point at the line.

In the past, a few teams have hacked Duncan the same way. But he got past those yips, which is fitting. The most complete big man in this era has gotten past everything.

He saved Game 1 with his 3-pointer, and a similar touch was required for the finale. He threw in a 20-footer over Shaq in the middle of the fourth quarter to pull the Spurs within one, then Parker found him for a score.

Minutes later, with the score tied and the 24-second clock running down, Duncan threw in a one-hand runner, and the Spurs would never trail again.

With that, Duncan’s spotless record in the first round remained intact. With that, Duncan heads toward New Orleans with his first repeat possible.

With that, he’s left Shaq behind.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
04-30-2008, 02:07 AM
“I just find it quite funny that when you’re up 20 that you do it,” Shaq said after Game 4. “It still shows me that I’m the most feared 36-year-old guy on the planet.”
The pratfalls of constantly needing your fragile ego stroked.
That's just sad.

spurscenter
04-30-2008, 02:08 AM
He did lose once in the firs tround to PHX but Dunc was hurt

great article nonetheless

T Park
04-30-2008, 02:09 AM
Very nice article Buck :tu

duncan228
04-30-2008, 02:11 AM
The "fist tap" the article describes:

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x282/duncan228/4-29win.jpg

m33p0
04-30-2008, 02:15 AM
buh-bye, snaq.

whottt
04-30-2008, 02:18 AM
It's not really accurate to compare Duncan FT's shooting with Shaq's...

Duncan once shot 80% from the FT line for a season...whereas Shaq legitimately has sucked at the FT line from day 1. It's not mental with him...he's just a shitty FT shooter because he's a shitty shooter period.

I'd describe Duncan's struggles at the FT line as more of a mental thing(arguably due to the fact that he got humiliated in the playoffs the year he shot 80% from the stripe)....because Duncan is a great shooter with an effortless stroke.

polandprzem
04-30-2008, 02:32 AM

Ahhh right :rolleyes

More then anything Spurs killed the tempo with Hack- a Shaq, although I do not agree with Pop to go with that strategy every game and so constantly.

polandprzem
04-30-2008, 02:35 AM
It's not really accurate to compare Duncan FT's shooting with Shaq's...

Duncan once shot 80% from the FT line for a season...whereas Shaq legitimately has sucked at the FT line from day 1. It's not mental with him...he's just a shitty FT shooter because he's a shitty shooter period.

I'd describe Duncan's struggles at the FT line as more of a mental thing(arguably due to the fact that he got humiliated in the playoffs the year he shot 80% from the stripe)....because Duncan is a great shooter with an effortless stroke.

So Tim should make some rythym when he makes the shot with his mentality, like Amare doing it. No fluid move when Tim atempting FT.

It was even worse in 2003 when he basicly turned off the legs going into the line.

bdictjames
04-30-2008, 02:35 AM
Im glad Duncan followed one of his big shots with a series win this time.

Popo>Phil
04-30-2008, 02:44 AM

Thanks duncan228, I enjoy both their expressions:lmao

DAF86
04-30-2008, 05:41 AM
If the Spurs and Lakers play the WCF, against who'll Shaq be rooting for? :stirpot:

themvp
04-30-2008, 05:54 AM
If the Spurs and Lakers play the WCF, against who'll Shaq be rooting for? :stirpot:

He does not watch games if he's not playing in it, that's what he said.

ForeignFan
04-30-2008, 06:02 AM
In the past, a few teams have hacked Duncan the same way. But he got past those yips, which is fitting. The most complete big man in this era has gotten past everything.

:tu

But I hope he will get past three more Playoffs rounds!

DAF86
04-30-2008, 06:07 AM
:tu

But I hope he will get past three more Playoffs rounds!

I hope he gets past a lot more playoffs rounds than that ;)

mystargtr34
04-30-2008, 06:16 AM
Ah im gonna miss Shaq.

DAF86
04-30-2008, 06:20 AM
He does not watch games if he's not playing in it, that's what he said.

Let me re-phrase the question.

What'd Shaq prefer: Kobe winning his 4th and 1st without him or Tim winning his 5th?

MONTENEGRINO
04-30-2008, 07:03 AM

spursfan09
04-30-2008, 07:53 AM

Shaq thinking "I respect you, but I don't have to like you"
Tim thinking "I respect you, but I don't have to like you"

Str8Ballin
04-30-2008, 09:11 AM
I know I'm in the minority, but I feel sorry for Shaq, and not just in a suns homer way.
Congrats Tim and the Spurs, but its hard to watch one of the NBA's greatest players who had given his new franchise such high hopes, fail so hard. I knew he had it coming to him after running his mouth and not respecting the Spurs. I shouldn't feel bad for him though I guess. He can always go crying to a big pile of money.

Spurminator
04-30-2008, 09:20 AM
Shaq and Duncan are now 12-12 against each other in Playoff games.

Rummpd
04-30-2008, 09:40 AM
Gotta respect both and Shaq played some fine defense this series - Duncan was just too deterimined.

Killakobe81
04-30-2008, 09:40 AM
Shaq pissed me off wit his comments and his lack of commitment to defense and FT shooting but I dont ever recall him missing so many layups and post-ups ...that is sad...he was once the most dominant inside presence but he was NEVER a better all-around player than Tim ...that is why Tim will be better than shaq at the same age ...

Soul_Patch
04-30-2008, 09:44 AM
I know I'm in the minority, but I feel sorry for Shaq, and not just in a suns homer way.
Congrats Tim and the Spurs, but its hard to watch one of the NBA's greatest players who had given his new franchise such high hopes, fail so hard. I knew he had it coming to him after running his mouth and not respecting the Spurs. I shouldn't feel bad for him though I guess. He can always go crying to a big pile of money.

Exactly. Sure it may sting to him in the moment, but i think the fact that he is sleeping on million dollar sheets and wiping his ass with hundreds, probably makes up for it.

E20
04-30-2008, 09:51 AM
Sort of unfair that Shaq, past his prime, has been labeled Duncan's rival, beause IMO presently Duncan >> Shaq, a big margin . IMO Shaq's rivarly days were over after his prime. Duncan's true rival should have been KG, but he unfourtanely(sp) sucks.

Soul_Patch
04-30-2008, 09:53 AM
Shaq definately did a number on duncan defensively though. I've never seen Duncan get so many balls swiped and shots blocked.

duncan228
04-30-2008, 09:54 AM
...Duncan was just too deterimined.

I think we've only seen the beginning of how determined Duncan is this year. This is the best chance he's had to repeat. He's going to show his domination more as the rounds get even tougher.

E20
04-30-2008, 09:55 AM

Nice pic.

zrinkill
04-30-2008, 09:57 AM
Anybody think Shaq will be our big body in the middle next year?

I think he would be a perfect compliment to Duncan and since we play more half court than either Miami or the Suns he would not be a detriment to our style.

And more importantly he would not have to be the go to guy at his age .....

Just a thought.

Cry Havoc
04-30-2008, 10:05 AM

I think he would be a perfect compliment to Duncan and since we play more half court than either Miami or the Suns he would not be a detriment to our style.

Just a thought.

GOD. NO.

I would absolutely hate Shaq on our team.

101A
04-30-2008, 10:05 AM
Manu + Tony + Udoka + Mahinmi + some picks ought to do it.

Great idea!

Spurminator
04-30-2008, 10:06 AM
I'm sure Peter Holt would totally throw $40MM at an NBA player.

dbreiden83080
04-30-2008, 10:12 AM
Shaq didn't play badly in the series, Timmy just flat out got it done like i knew he would. All the panic that Shaq would stop him was just that panic, TD came through.

O-Factor
04-30-2008, 10:13 AM
Nice read and a great article.

Well at least Shaq has 40 million due to him over the next 2 years...at least theres that.

dbreiden83080
04-30-2008, 10:14 AM
I think we've only seen the beginning of how determined Duncan is this year. This is the best chance he's had to repeat. He's going to show his domination more as the rounds get even tougher.

His best and likely last chance to repeat. Timmy in interviews always talks about how aware he is that the clock is starting to run out. He knows he does not have too many more prime years left and it is now or never for this repeat. He is going to give all he has to get it.

SenorSpur
04-30-2008, 10:43 AM
I find it interesting that Tim doesn't even seem to look at Shaq.

CP3_Bourbon_St.
04-30-2008, 10:45 AM
Nor Shaq at Tim

DDS4
04-30-2008, 10:55 AM
Shaq is still formidable guarding Tim on the block.

Problem is, he sucks at everything else.

K-State Spur
04-30-2008, 11:08 AM
Shaq pissed me off wit his comments and his lack of commitment to defense and FT shooting but I dont ever recall him missing so many layups and post-ups ...that is sad...he was once the most dominant inside presence but he was NEVER a better all-around player than Tim ...that is why Tim will be better than shaq at the same age ...

shaq has always had an iffy touch around the rim with layups and put-backs.

you just never noticed because he either dunked it, or got his own rebound a couple of times, then dunked it.

pawe
04-30-2008, 02:39 PM

Just a thought.

no and hell no!