PDA

View Full Version : T.J. FORD as backup next season?

spurscenter
04-30-2008, 04:06 AM
http://www.thestar.com/Sports/NBA/article/419455

ORLANDO, Fla.–T.J. Ford watched the Raptor season end from a seat on the bench, the player once thought to be an integral part of the franchise's long-term future reduced to being a spectator.

It may have been a moment of foreboding, or it may have been nothing more than a decision by coach Sam Mitchell to let Jose Calderon try to steal a victory. It apparently did nothing to make Ford think his future is anywhere but in a Raptor uniform.

"I want to be back," said Ford, who played 24 minutes of Toronto's season-ending 102-92 loss to the Magic here last night. "I never said anything about wanting to leave."

But Ford's future has to be somewhat cloudy. Calderon is a restricted free agent this summer but general manager Bryan Colangelo is on the record as saying he'll do whatever it takes to bring the Spaniard back.

It's conceivable that Calderon could return to be a backup but that seems far-fetched and Mitchell's decision to use him instead of Ford to finish every significant game of the last month cannot be ignored.

"It's really out of our control," said Ford, who had 14 points and six assists last night. "That's up to Bryan Colangelo to make those decisions, what guys will be back and what guys he wants to change.

"As players, we just do the things we're supposed to do this summer and whatever happens be ready for next year."

Ford's season, and perhaps his Toronto future, went off the rails when he was injured in a December game in Atlanta.

He missed 24 games with a neck and back injury after that fall, came back to struggle in a backup role and got his starting job back only when Calderon went to Mitchell and suggested the shift.

Still, for all he went through, Ford said the season ended with a large measure of personal satisfaction.

"It was a tough stretch, me being in the media mostly on a negative thing but I think I showed my professionalism," he said. "I didn't let it upset me and affect my play. I think I just fought through it and I'm pretty happy with the way I ended up performing this season."

Ford, Chris Bosh and Andrea Bargnani, all 25 or under and under contract for at least the next two seasons, were widely held to be the anchors of the franchise moving forward. But with Ford in the situation he is in, and Bargnani suffering through a season of regression, the core may not be what it was thought to be.

"You've got to get better," said coach Mitchell.

"We won 41 games and we're not overly thrilled about that and having to start the playoffs on the road."

ChumpDumper
04-30-2008, 04:10 AM
An $8 million backup?

File under "Unlikely."

timvp
04-30-2008, 04:12 AM
Backup? According to Spurs fans a couple years ago, the team should have traded Parker for TJ Ford.

anakha
04-30-2008, 04:14 AM
Convincing a PG who can start for a lot of other teams in the NBA to be a backup on the Spurs is laughable at best.

Texas_Ranger
04-30-2008, 04:35 AM
NO thanx.

Pero
04-30-2008, 04:45 AM
Ford, Chris Bosh and Andrea Bargnani, all 25 or under and under contract for at least the next two seasons, were widely held to be the anchors of the franchise moving forward. But with Ford in the situation he is in, and Bargnani suffering through a season of regression, the core may not be what it was thought to be.

I can't believe how bad this guy sucks. It's so bad I could feel bad for him. But since he's making millions, I don't.

DAF86
04-30-2008, 06:03 AM
No way, too expensive, too overrated (JV has a better jumper than him) and too much of a prima donna, he wont settle for 15 minutes per game.

Pero
04-30-2008, 06:18 AM
DAF86, Bowen should be in the pic in your sig instead of Parker. :lol

ShoogarBear
04-30-2008, 06:19 AM
Will he be third string behind Nash?

DAF86
04-30-2008, 06:23 AM
DAF86, Bowen should be in the pic in your sig instead of Parker. :lol

:lol I let myself get excited 'bout the Tony vs CP3 hype.

dg7md
04-30-2008, 06:24 AM
He isn't leaving the Raptors.

DAF86
04-30-2008, 06:25 AM
He isn't leaving the Raptors.

We should get Calderon then.

spurscenter
04-30-2008, 06:31 AM
Kenny Smith: CAAAALDEERUN

Pero
04-30-2008, 06:44 AM
Calderon is a starting PG. I doubt it'll be good for Toronto if they keep both him and Ford. One has to go. I think Calderon is better and they should trade Ford. But if they keep Ford, I think Calderon would be great for Cleveland.

xcoriate
04-30-2008, 07:14 AM
Ford as a backup... that'll happen.

gameFACE
04-30-2008, 07:21 AM
Hasn't he been hurt more than once now? No thanks.

Harry Callahan
04-30-2008, 07:34 AM
Nope. Neck issue with the narrow spinal column - will get hurt and miss significant time. Makes too much money.

bigfan
04-30-2008, 09:13 AM
Gotta say right now Vaughn has played pretty good this year. Ford is too injury prone.

spurscenter
06-05-2008, 06:31 AM
UPDATE: seems like it may be true, article on hoopsworld

urunobili
06-05-2008, 07:45 AM
Backup? According to Spurs fans a couple years ago, the team should have traded Parker for TJ Ford.

I'd pay to see an original quote of this back then from some current members... :stirpot:

and a personal Quote I'd take Calderon for less money... THAT would kick Jordan Farmar's ass big time... there was a rumor about him going to the Flakers... then I'd prefer to have Farmar on top of TJ for the same money as well...

Pero
06-05-2008, 07:55 AM
You wouldn't get Calderon for less money, because he won't get less money than Ford.
Also, Calderon > Ford.
And anyone who thinks Ford would want to play backup anywhere is delusional.

ata
06-05-2008, 08:49 AM

According to Pop a couple years ago is Parker 2nd stringer

MoSpur
06-05-2008, 09:01 AM
I doubt it. Ford knows he can start for some other team.

xtremesteven33
06-05-2008, 10:37 AM
TJ Ford is going to the Suns....Book it

angelbelow
06-05-2008, 02:14 PM
i had him on my fantasy team so i followed him closely. he is a warrior coming back from a spinal injury that is reoccuring. however he was initially OK with backing up calderon but ended up struggling and ultimately meeting with the coaching staff to discuss his role. eventually calderon (only cares about winning) says that ford is struggling and maybe the starting spot will help. that is how TJ reclaimed his starting position. if he comes off the bench next season i expect his attitutde to be the same.

Spurtacus
06-05-2008, 11:44 PM
We won't land Ford or Calderon. Neither have interest in being a backup.

ducks
06-05-2008, 11:45 PM
spurs have no interest in paying him close to what manu is making

T Park
06-05-2008, 11:46 PM
We should get Calderon then.

Why would the Raptors trade their best point guard?