PDA

View Full Version : Break Down The Hornets ...

spurscenter
04-30-2008, 04:38 AM
Break it down, what are the keys to stop them.

I see trouble with Bonzi Wells and Mike James (edit: pargo) more than their starters (to a point)

Our bench needs to bring it. Hornets have a much better bench than PHX for sure since they know they are role players and good at it (unlike PHX).

Julian Wright is playing with confidence and so is Pargo.

DUNCAN = WEST
PARKER = CP3
imo

Point Guard
Chris Paul
Mike James

Shooting Guard
Morris Peterson
Jannero Pargo

Small Forward
Peja Stojakovic
Bonzi Wells
Rasual Butler

Power Forward
David West
Julian Wright
Ryan Bowen

Center
Tyson Chandler
Melvin Ely
Hilton Armstrong
Chris Andersen

Point Guard
Tony Parker
Jacque Vaughn
Damon Stoudamire

Shooting Guard
Manu Ginobili
Michael Finley
Brent Barry

Small Forward
Bruce Bowen
Ime Udoka
DerMarr Johnson

Power Forward
Tim Duncan
Matt Bonner
Robert Horry
Ian Mahinmi

Center
Fabricio Oberto
Kurt Thomas

Dalamar_the_Dark
04-30-2008, 05:11 AM
CP3 will be CP3. You wont be able to stop him much. The Spurs will need to contain him as best as possible by defending the PNR well.

The 2 most key matchups I see that will determine the fate of this series is what the Spurs do against David West. How can we shut this guy down.

The other is to ensure that Peja stays cold. Bowen has to lock him down and kill off that 3 point threat. Peja is streaky. If he gets hot he gets very hot.

Supergirl
04-30-2008, 06:41 AM
One question: Do you put Bowen on Paul or on Peja?

I say Paul, because Peja is less dangerous, even though he'll have his hands full with Paul.

Duncan should own Chandler/West. Thomas will continue to be important on defense against those guys, too.

Our biggest asset is that they have no one who can guard Manu, so we need him to be healthy.

remingtonbo2001
04-30-2008, 06:52 AM
IMO, It's really not about breaking down the other team. It's about the Spurs limiting their mistakes and not beating themselves.

The only team that can beat the Spurs, are the Spurs.

Teal Street
04-30-2008, 07:01 AM
Bonzi will see minutes.

Duncan wont own West by the way. Not happening.

Taco
04-30-2008, 08:03 AM
:flag:Any word on what time game 1 is on Saturday? :flag:

sa_butta
04-30-2008, 08:12 AM
I just hope our bench can outplay their bench. And rebounding will be key, They better start practicing boxing out. Oberto and Thomas need to play big and get rebounds. Peja must be guarded tight on the peremiter. Game 1, I think Bowen stays on Peja and Parker guards CP3

Teal Street
04-30-2008, 08:37 AM
Spurscenter- Mike James? he hasnt played. Maybe you mean Janero Pargo who has been huge for us in this post season. When you have two quick guards with great shooting skills on the floor at the same time it really throws a wrench into other teams plans of doubling Paul. And although he's been kind of quiet in the last couple games, I look for Bonzi Wells to emerge in this series.

bigfan
04-30-2008, 09:11 AM
They are good and they are quick. We need to play big and play smart, slow them down. We need to win one of the first two. Ill take Pop over Scott any day of the week.

naico
04-30-2008, 10:21 AM
Main focus: 1.their shooters
2. Chris Paul

CP3_Bourbon_St.
04-30-2008, 10:22 AM
lol you guys are so dead

thiste
04-30-2008, 10:27 AM
lol you guys are so dead

Don't start to talk smack before you've won anything.

cjjr72984
04-30-2008, 10:29 AM
Bonzi will see minutes.

Duncan wont own West by the way. Not happening.

I agree. After that 2nd game in SBC, you would think Spurs fans would remember how damn good D. West is.

cjjr72984
04-30-2008, 10:31 AM
I personally think if you guys limit D. West to 10-15 pts then Spurs win. If not, Spurs will have issues all series.

Demo Dick Marcinko
04-30-2008, 10:33 AM
I agree. After that 2nd game in SBC, you would think Spurs fans would remember how damn good D. West is.

Nobody in their right mind has forgotten how really good West is. But there is a reason that Timmy is arguably the greatest PF to play the game. Advantage Duncan.

Where you guys may have an advantage is just how really good your bench is. We've got some really good vets on our bench but sometimes they are too inconsistent.

Ginofan
04-30-2008, 10:55 AM
TP will have his hands full with CP3, but you can say the same for CP3 with Tony. It'll be an awesome matchup to witness.

Bonzi Wells has always been a thorn in our side, I don't expect that to change now. We just need to contain him as much as we can.

Duncan will own whoever they try to put on him. Plain and simple.

The time off we have till Saturday will do Manu a great deal of good. He was looking tired and gimpy out there during the last few games of the Suns series. He will come back with a fire and a fury like no other. MVP of round 2, no doubt.

Bruce will have to be Bruce Lee and stick like glue to Peja or CP3 whichever they have him gaurding at the time. His defense of either of those players will be most important, imo.

DDS4
04-30-2008, 10:56 AM
If you don't like pick-n-rolls, this series is not for you.

Sausage
04-30-2008, 10:57 AM
The Hornets like running that pick and pop play with CP3 and David West and he can knock that shot down at the top of the key consistantly, so I hope the Spurs can limit that.

dbreiden83080
04-30-2008, 10:58 AM
lol you guys are so dead

Oh come on now don't be a troll and get yourself banned. Just be a good guy until the Spurs win in 6 and you can log off.

xtremesteven33
04-30-2008, 11:05 AM
its simple really.

-You contain Paul, you defeat the Hornets.

-Parker has no business guarding Paul. Bowen gets his reputation on matchups like this. Bowen owns Paul and gets in his head.

-Chandler cannot defend Duncan. Hes a decent shot blocker but hes not a good defender. I see Chandler getting in foul trouble pretty easy.

-David West will have to earn his shots by shooting outside which he hits about 99% of the time. But he recieves his 17 foot jumpers off of Paul. If you can limit those assists you can contain thier offense.

-For the Spurs to beat the Hornets they dont have to play GREAT just good enough. Ginobili has to be a 20-5 player this series for the Spurs to have some cushion.

so with that being said....

Spurs in 5

spurscenter
04-30-2008, 11:13 AM
HOW THE FUCK DO YOU BREAK THIS DOWN?

good lord

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v67/thiste/signature.jpg

phxspurfan
04-30-2008, 11:46 AM
One question: Do you put Bowen on Paul or on Peja?

I would put bowen on Paul, and Udoka on Peja. Bowen's length and overall better defense can be used on their best player. Udoka can put a body on Peja and attempt to crowd him when he shoots those 3s. It's not perfect, but I think it uses what we have in the right way.

I think the key matchup no one talks about is going to be Duncan vs. Chandler. If chandler can limit Duncan and frustrate him the way other long C's have, the Spurs may be in trouble.

SAGambler
04-30-2008, 01:46 PM
Let Bruce frustrate Paul until he loses his head, and does something stupid. If Paul is frustrated, he doesn't make sharp passes.

SAGambler
04-30-2008, 01:48 PM
Oh, and we win one in NO, come back here win 2, and then finish them off on their home court, in front of their home crowd.

spurscenter
05-06-2008, 07:42 AM
i guess it wasnt Pargo or wells, its everyone else

Ring of Fire
05-06-2008, 07:56 AM
The only team that can beat the Spurs, are the Spurs.

Funny! Wrong, but funny!

themvp
05-06-2008, 07:57 AM
Funny! Wrong, but funny!

Hey, it's not over yet. You're playing The Spurs! :ihit