PDA

View Full Version : Article: Obama opens a can of worms

some_user86
04-30-2008, 08:02 AM
Obama opens a can of worms
THE BLACK CHURCH | On the verge of making history, Obama opens a can of worms

April 30, 2008

MARY MITCHELL [email protected]

Well, it is likely that Sen. Barack Obama won't be going back to Trinity United Church of Christ.

Not after this.

On Tuesday, Obama responded to the Rev. Jeremiah Wright's ill-timed defense by condemning his former pastor's fresh comments as "ridiculous," "outrageous" and "appalling."

"When he states and then amplifies such ridiculous proposition as the U.S. government somehow being involved in AIDS, when he suggests that Minister Farrakhan somehow represents one of the greatest voices in the 20th and 21st century, when he equates the United States wartime effort with terrorism, then there are no excuses," Obama said during a press conference.

"They offend me. They rightfully offend all Americans and they should be denounced," Obama said.

This is a sad day for Black America.

At a time when African Americans are on the cusp of watching a barrier come crashing down, up jumps a divisive issue that is being driven by those outside of the black community.

Obviously, Wright's timing for a press conference about his sermons couldn't have been worse.

Still, when Obama says he is "offended" by Wright's latest comments -- given in defense against an orchestrated assault on his character and on his ministry -- he's opening up a can of worms.

There is no institution in the black community more respected than the black church. And the notion that white pundits can dictate what constitutes unacceptable speech in the black church is repulsive to most black people.

Even so, after Wright's fiery speeches surfaced on the Internet, most African Americans understood why Obama had to distance himself from Wright.

Obama's cross-cultural appeal, which, by the way, made some blacks suspicious of him early in his campaign, is largely because of his ability to make white people feel comfortable with his blackness.

But Wright speaks to a different audience, and that audience has been supportive throughout his ordeal.

On Monday, for instance, when Wright spoke at the National Press Club, the predominantly black crowd cheered, clapped and punctuated Wright's speech with shouts of "amen."

So, when Obama says America was "offended" by Wright's harsh language, he isn't speaking for or to Black America. He is speaking to White America.

As much as I want to see Obama make history by becoming the first black man to be elected president, I don't want to see a warrior like Wright denigrated to prove to white voters that Obama is not a radical.

When Obama denounced Wright's angry words but refused to disown him, it signaled that he understood the sensitive tightrope he is being forced to walk.

His "outrage" over Wright's latest remarks signals something quite different. With the gap narrowing, Obama advisers are obviously scrambling for every white vote.

But really, what more should blacks have to sacrifice? Their dignity?

Frankly, Obama and Wright risk becoming metaphors for the ongoing struggle of blacks to unite politically.

Obama shouldn't have held a press conference to deal with Wright.

He should have been able to pick up the phone.

LINK: http://www.suntimes.com/news/mitchell/923055,CST-NWS-mitch30.article

some_user86
04-30-2008, 08:06 AM
The truth is, I think, most people of color skin feel this way about White America right now.

As a person of brown skin, I feel I can empathize with what the black community is witnessing with the black churches. I feel I can relate to a segment of the population (propagated by Big Media) completely misrepresenting a different way of life, a different culture.

It feels like we have regressed in race relations.

Kermit
04-30-2008, 10:08 AM
Wright is single handedly assuring a Clinton/McCain contest.

Viva Las Espuelas
04-30-2008, 10:15 AM
June should be interesting

peewee's lovechild
04-30-2008, 12:21 PM
Obama showing what he's worth.

The politician who campaigned with the promise of "new politics" is quite efficient in the ways of "old politics".

inconvertible
04-30-2008, 12:47 PM
better than opening a can of REV Wright.

Don Quixote
04-30-2008, 12:50 PM
I want MORE Wright! Not less.