PDA

View Full Version : Diaw's uncontested layup(historically significant)

Jimcs50
04-30-2008, 08:47 AM
With 26 secs left, the Spurs were up 3, so the Spurs virtually gave Diaw a layup, knowing that 2 points would not hurt them, because they had the clock and good foul shooters on their side.

This caused me once again to lament the same situation in the 2006 game 7 with Dallas, with almost the same amt of time on the clock. Had the Spurs just gaven Dirk that layup(instead of Manu's block attempt) like they gave Diaw the layup, the Spurs would be going for their 4th straight championship and 6th overall, this year. Had that happened, there would be no doubt that the Spurs were the 2nd greatest dynasty in NBA history, behind only Boston, and IMO ahead of Chicago)

I am just glad that history did not repeat itself.....I guess the Spurs learned a valuable, but costly lesson.

m33p0
04-30-2008, 09:04 AM
lesson learned.......................

........................... and applied.

Jimcs50
04-30-2008, 09:06 AM
I guess we can hold on that comfort.

1Parker1
04-30-2008, 09:10 AM
:lol Ironically if you re-watch that play from yesterday, Ginobili did once again try to go for the steal/block. He was just lucky that the contact was minimal.

Jimcs50
04-30-2008, 09:17 AM
:lol Ironically if you re-watch that play from yesterday, Ginobili did once again try to go for the steal/block. He was just lucky that the contact was minimal.

I would have personally driven down to SA and shot Manu, had Manu given them a 3 pt play again and lost that game in OT again.

:lol

Jimcs50
04-30-2008, 09:22 AM
I thought of a name for Diaw's critical turnover with 30 secs left when he threw the pass into the stands.

The French Mis-Connection

:)

spurs_fan_in_exile
04-30-2008, 09:29 AM
I thought of a name for Diaw's critical turnover with 30 secs left when he threw the pass into the stands.

How about Le Rod Strickland?

Kermit
04-30-2008, 09:46 AM
Why does everyone assume that we would've beaten Miami? It could've easily been us that Wade and Salvatore went off on.

Obstructed_View
04-30-2008, 09:49 AM
Why does everyone assume that we would've beaten Miami? It could've easily been us that Wade and Salvatore went off on.

The Mavericks choked that series away. They were trying to wrap up the title before the end of the weekend.

Jimcs50
04-30-2008, 09:52 AM

The Spurs would have won in 5 at worst....that is without question.

Kermit
04-30-2008, 09:59 AM
The Spurs would have won in 5 at worst....that is without question.

There is no way of knowing how much the Spurs would've won by, or if they would've won at all. They performed their own choke job in both series. Who is to say they wouldn't have done the same in the finals. It's great to be a hardcore Spurs fan (and I never thought I would say this), but myopia is never beneficial to any fan base.

Jimcs50
04-30-2008, 10:05 AM
Not myopia, hindsight.

Kermit
04-30-2008, 10:05 AM
Not hindsight, wishful thinking.

Jimcs50
04-30-2008, 10:13 AM
Not hindsight, wishful thinking.

Potato- Potato

Kermit
04-30-2008, 10:16 AM
Tomato, tomahto!
Let's call the whole thing off!

That was fun.

Obstructed_View
04-30-2008, 10:27 AM
Why does everyone assume that we would've beaten Miami?
For the same reason you assume we would've beaten the Suns in the conference finals.

JamStone
04-30-2008, 10:27 AM
With 26 secs left, the Spurs were up 3, so the Spurs virtually gave Diaw a layup, knowing that 2 points would not hurt them, because they had the clock and good foul shooters on their side.

This caused me once again to lament the same situation in the 2006 game 7 with Dallas, with almost the same amt of time on the clock. Had the Spurs just gaven Dirk that layup(instead of Manu's block attempt) like they gave Diaw the layup, the Spurs would be going for their 4th straight championship and 6th overall, this year. Had that happened, there would be no doubt that the Spurs were the 2nd greatest dynasty in NBA history, behind only Boston, and IMO ahead of Chicago)

I am just glad that history did not repeat itself.....I guess the Spurs learned a valuable, but costly lesson.

That Dallas series was not for the NBA championship.

SenorSpur
04-30-2008, 10:30 AM

Funny of you to bring this up. When watching that play and seeing that Diaw had Manu isolated in the post, I remembered thinking the same thing. In fact, I yelled at the TV, "Dammit Manu. Don't foul him this time!"

PM5K
04-30-2008, 10:32 AM
You gotta pass six first, until then....

Kermit
04-30-2008, 10:32 AM
For the same reason you assume we would've beaten the Suns in the conference finals.

I really can't assume that they would've beaten Phoenix in the conference finals, although the Suns were missing Amare. Who knows what would've happened injury wise.

ShoogarBear
04-30-2008, 10:43 AM
In the game chat, I wrote "glad Manu didn't foul" immediately after that play, folllowed a few seconds later by Spurm.

LilMissSPURfect
04-30-2008, 10:44 AM
How about Le Rod Strickland?

:nope:nope

SpurOutofTownFan
04-30-2008, 10:54 AM

How about the Damon-to-Tucson pass?

K-State Spur
04-30-2008, 11:19 AM
Considering it a foregone conclusion might have been a little strong, but the Spurs matched up pretty damn well with Miami - better than Dallas did. Taking that into account and realizing that mental toughness was all that Dallas needed to win the series (which the Spurs obviously have), it's not unreasonable to expect that the Spurs would have won it all that year.

Ifs and buts though, they lost and it's still 4 in 9.

Jimcs50
04-30-2008, 11:57 AM
In the game chat, I wrote "glad Manu didn't foul" immediately after that play, folllowed a few seconds later by Spurm.

So, I guess we all learned something in 06.

timvp
04-30-2008, 03:28 PM
Regarding that play, why the hell did Pop not put three bigs on the court when he saw the Suns in their tri-towers set? D'Antoni had ran that same play countless times. Put a big on Diaw and they would have had to go to another play.

And yeah, that had And-1 written all over it. Luckily Diaw's position was good enough that he only got the layup.

TampaDude
04-30-2008, 03:31 PM

+1 Nobody was getting by the Heat in 2006.

DazedAndConfused
04-30-2008, 03:33 PM
2nd greatest Dynasty??? Please lay off the crackpipe.

The Spurs are 4 in 9 (if you want to count the asterisk year). That puts them IMHO behind the 80's Lakers, 80's Celtics, 90's Bulls, and even the 2000-2004 Lakers who won 3 straight and made the Finals in 4/5 years. The fact that they haven't repeated is telling.

Tacker
04-30-2008, 03:36 PM

Spurs have only 4 champions in 9 years, Bulls have 6 champions in 8 years, how does that make the Spurs a better dynasty than the Bulls?

Jimcs50
04-30-2008, 03:46 PM
Spurs have only 4 champions in 9 years, Bulls have 6 champions in 8 years, how does that make the Spurs a better dynasty than the Bulls?

Read my first post, Mr ADHD

I said if Manu had not given Dirk the 3 pt play and Spurs had won the game, they would be going for their 4th straight and 6th championship....that would make them the 2nd best dynasty, ahead of the Bulls, IMO.

Jimcs50
04-30-2008, 03:47 PM

The Spurs are 4 in 9 (if you want to count the asterisk year). That puts them IMHO behind the 80's Lakers, 80's Celtics, 90's Bulls, and even the 2000-2004 Lakers who won 3 straight and made the Finals in 4/5 years. The fact that they haven't repeated is telling.

Read my last post, Mr ADHD II

Agloco
04-30-2008, 04:24 PM

The word dynastic is meant to imply an event or norm which is in place for a long period of time. As such I don't think the Lakers of the early 2000's qualify in this discussion. Making the finals in 2004 and losing counts for nothing. Threee for three aint bad, but it's hardly dynastic. By your logic, the Buffalo Bills are quite possibly one of the best dynasties bar none.......

Any team winning championships over an extended period of time (5+ years) could and should be considered dynastic. I give you the 90's Bulls, 60's Celtics and 80's Lakers (who repeated just once BTW). So if the Spurs repeat this year, where are they with respect to those Lakers?

ClingingMars
04-30-2008, 04:32 PM

asterisk year? you're starting to sound like a Suns fan, man.

- Mars

T Park
05-01-2008, 01:57 AM

Why is it an asterisk year?

What advantage did the Spurs have over everyone else?

sprrs
05-01-2008, 03:22 AM
asterisk year? you're starting to sound like a Suns fan, man.

- Mars

Not considering it was Phil Jackson who first started the whole thing.

spursfan09
05-01-2008, 07:21 AM
I think anyone who thinks of 99 as an asterisk year is just jealous. I mean what? Did the Spurs sweep your team that year? Oh wait... it makes sense.

PlayoffEx-static
05-01-2008, 07:37 AM

Dude, put down the crack pipe. The 80's Lakers were a pedestrian 5-3 in Finals appearances. The 80s Celtics were 3-2. The Millenium Lakers at least just lost once in the Finals (3-1), but they flamed out after only 5 years, lacking the duration of the previously named two teams. I'll give you the 90s Bulls because they never choked on the big stage and had a solid 8 year run, but the Millenium Spurs have the duration and the undefeated 4-0 Finals record and easily surpass either 80's squad.