PDA

View Full Version : Pistons acquire Arroyo from Jazz

Kori Ellis
01-21-2005, 12:37 PM
Pistons acquire Arroyo from Jazz for Campbell and future first-rounder

LARRY LAGE

Associated Press

DETROIT - The Detroit Pistons acquired point guard Carlos Arroyo from the Utah Jazz on Friday in a trade for center Elden Campbell and a first-round pick after 2006.

"Although we did not prefer to move Elden, this was an opportunity to add a young, talented player at a position that we've been looking to bolster our roster," said Joe Dumars, Pistons president of basketball operations. "Carlos is 25 years old and is just coming into his own as an NBA player."

The 6-foot-2 Arroyo will provide depth behind Chauncey Billups and will allow Lindsey Hunter - in his 12th NBA season - to play fewer minutes. Arroyo started 71 games and averaged 12.6 points and 5.0 assists last season for the Jazz, but his role diminished this season despite signing a contract with them on July 14. He started 16 of 30 games and averaged 8.2 points and 5.1 rebounds.

"We're excited to add him to our team, because we think Carlos adds great flexibility to our backcourt," Dumars said.

Though Arroyo has three years and about $12 million left on his contract after this season, Dumars said his deal will not play a factor in his hopes of re-signing Ben Wallace and Tayshaun Prince in the future.

Campbell, 36, helped the Pistons win the NBA title over the Los Angeles Lakers last season by slowing down Shaquille O'Neal. But he played in just 21 games this season because of Detroit's three-player frontcourt rotation of Wallace, Rasheed Wallace and Antonio McDyess.

By acquiring Campbell, the Jazz will clear salary-cap space this summer. He signed a two-year, $8.4 million contract with the Pistons before the 2003-04 season.

The 7-footer has averaged 10.5 points and 5.9 rebounds in his career, which started with the Lakers during the 1990-91 season.

Arroyo, who was not drafted in the NBA, began his career in the league in Toronto and Denver during the 2001-02 season. The Puerto Rico native's career averages are 7.6 points and 3.5 assists.

Jimcs50
01-21-2005, 12:41 PM
they now have the best guard corp in the league

BigVee
01-21-2005, 12:41 PM
Don't really see how this helps either team on the court.

Manu20
01-21-2005, 12:42 PM
That is a good trade for the Pistons.
Maybe Darko will see more playing time now that Campbell is gone.

T Park
01-21-2005, 12:49 PM
Darko will see playing time, when he has earned it.

Rick Von Braun
01-21-2005, 12:53 PM
Very good trade for the Pistons!

Kori Ellis
01-21-2005, 12:56 PM
Arroyo sucks right now. I don't see how it's a good trade for the Pistons unless he steps up his game tremendously. He comes to camp out of shape (last season), has a poor attitude and work ethic, and bitches to the press about playing time. McLeod and Lopez beat him out in Utah. And it's not because he was injured. He was given his starting job back when he came back from injury, but was just horrible.

Sec24Row7
01-21-2005, 01:01 PM
heh...

jalbre6
01-21-2005, 01:11 PM
He comes to camp out of shape (last season)

Didn't he play in the Olympics for Puerto Rico last summer? He was still playing for his national team until the end of August, and training camp began the first week of October. He really let himself go for a month then, I guess.

ChumpDumper
01-21-2005, 01:17 PM
Pistons don't get past Miami now.

Rick Von Braun
01-21-2005, 01:19 PM
Despite his level of play, which I partially agree is not good, Arroyo is a talent. He can get very got from the perimeter, and force defenses collapsing on him. I agree he is a little drama queen, but he will not be a biatch in the Pistons locker room because the level of talent is much higher than in Utah (and they are the Champions!).

Detroit didn't have a strong back up PG. In addition, the main problem with the Pistons offense is scoring. Rip H is not having his best year (in terms of efficiency at least), and Billups has not been himself lately. Suddenly, the Pistons have 2 potential PGs that can light it up from downtown to complement perfectly their strong frontline offense. Remember that this is how Billups won the MVP finals.

If there is a deficit with the current Pistons roster is the lack of playmakers. Most of the guards are shooters and they do not create much for other teammates. The only guys that truly share the ball and follow the set plays to perfection are Ben Wallace and Prince, but they are seldom the initiators of the offense.

I believe this problem will be partially solved once Delfino comes back from injury and gets minutes in the rotation again. He probably has more playmaking abilities than any of the PGs in the Detroit roster. The problem is that he is a rookie and prone to mental lapses, but in the 7 or 8 games I saw him play last year, the Pistons offense was clicking when he was on the floor.

I still think this is a very good trade for the Pistons.

Rick Von Braun
01-21-2005, 01:21 PM
Pistons don't get past Miami now.Good point... but if there is a frontline with enough strong bodies to slow down Shaq is the Pistons'.

whottt
01-21-2005, 01:27 PM
Arroyo may be having a down year but Campbell is garbage and has been for a long time now. I wish Detroit had traded Campbell to the Sonics.

ChumpDumper
01-21-2005, 01:27 PM
But soft, radio reports have the Jazz waiving Campbell and the Pistons re-signing him.

Win-win.

T Park
01-21-2005, 01:51 PM
so they traded Arroyo for a first round pick after 06.

Pretty even trade.

ShoogarBear
01-21-2005, 01:52 PM
But soft, radio reports have the Jazz waiving Campbell and the Pistons re-signing him.

Man, if that's true, then Jerry really wanted to get rid of him at all costs.

Useruser666
01-21-2005, 01:52 PM
I guess this makes more since then the Suns getting him.

Solid D
01-21-2005, 01:59 PM
You don't know what the 1st rounder will become...but I see this as a plus for Detroit, once Brown has a chance to get him into some practice sessions (far and few between during the season). If Arroyo thinks it will be any easier playing for Brown, than for Sloan, he will find out soon enough that the former point guard is hardest on his PGs.

I still see Carlos providing 5-6 minutes of scoring, toughness, energy, and a little bravado off the bench, unless injuries require more of him (which does happen in the NBA).

Kori Ellis
01-21-2005, 02:00 PM
Didn't he play in the Olympics for Puerto Rico last summer? He was still playing for his national team until the end of August, and training camp began the first week of October. He really let himself go for a month then, I guess.

I said LAST SEASON he came into camp out of shape. Not this season.

baseline bum
01-21-2005, 02:10 PM
What a freaking steal. Detroit has needed a backup point in the worst way and they got a hell of a talent.

Medvedenko
01-21-2005, 02:22 PM
Dammit...I thought the Lakers would have tried to get him...oh well It's not like the Jazz trying to trade to the same conference. I hope he does really well in Detroit.

jalbre6
01-21-2005, 03:06 PM
Sorry Kori, I was thinking year as in 2004, not season as in 03-04.

ALVAREZ6
01-21-2005, 07:07 PM
Great trade for Pistons.

When Delfino get's healthy, I want to see a latino backcourt with the 2 Carloses.

Or would it be Carlos'

Whatever.

Arroyo+Delfino= What I wanna see.

SequSpur
01-21-2005, 08:03 PM
Campbell > Rasho.

What was Beno not available to be traded or are we waiting 5 years for another player to develop into something?

ALVAREZ6
01-21-2005, 08:04 PM
Campbell > Rasho.

Sequ, in your opinion who isn't > than Rasho?

airjer15
01-21-2005, 08:18 PM
I have very mixed feelings about this whole thing, as a Jazz fan I became a big fan of Arroyo last year, he played great. I have been waiting around this whole year for him to do something, and he seems to have gotten worse, we still have a pg problem, but I don't think Arroyo is the answer to anyones futur, just wait tell Brown gets mad at him or doesn't play him a couple game, then Brown can see what its like to have all of peurto rico sending him hate mail.

the reason I see this trade being good for the Jazz is, although Elden is way past his prime, he still has a bunch of experiance. and the Jazz need a veteran to help polish there rough edges. Plus Elden's first mentor in this leauge was Magic Johnson, and that counts for something.

anyway look for a big 2nd half of the season from the Jazz

ALVAREZ6
01-21-2005, 08:20 PM
anyway look for a big 2nd half of the season from the Jazz

That will be hard to find, might need a flashlight on that one.

ShoogarBear
01-21-2005, 08:21 PM
When Delfino get's healthy, I want to see a latino backcourt with the 2 Carloses.

Or would it be Carlos'

Whatever.

Damn, Alvarez, if you don't know how are we supposed to?

Dos Carloses?

ALVAREZ6
01-21-2005, 08:22 PM
Damn, Alvarez, if you don't know how are we supposed to?

Dos Carloses?
That works.

mattyc
01-21-2005, 08:56 PM
Decent trade for the Pistons in theory, but there is still alot of work to be done before they can find a role that Arroyo is comfortable in, given that Billups sees big minutes and Lindsey Hunter can pose a case for himself.

Interesting though, to see how Larry Brown treats Arroyo.

exstatic
01-21-2005, 09:37 PM
they now have the best guard corp in the league

Not. The best guard corps in the league, top to bottom is:

TP,Manu,Barry,Beno,Devin

Fucking Lindsay Hunter is a waste of oxygen. Detroit's starters are probably as good as or better than SA's, but they have no one like Barry or Beno on the bench, and Devin is probably the best fifth guard in the league.

You have three guys who love to attack the rim: TP,Manu,Devin

You have four guys who create for themselves and others: TP, Manu, Beno, Barry

You have four longball shooters: Beno .446, Devin .418, Manu .372, Barry .353