PDA

View Full Version : Fuehrer Stern Rules, Garnett NOT Suspended

monosylab1k
04-30-2008, 09:14 AM
Not even fined.

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/articles/2008/04/30/garnett_perkins_escape_penalties/

Thunder Dan
04-30-2008, 09:15 AM
they have to keep the Celtics/Lakers possibility alive. It's the NBA's only hope. Too bad the Celtics are letting Joe Johnson pull a Lebron on them every night

Reggie Miller
04-30-2008, 09:18 AM
What a load of smegma.

Stern needs to understand that the appearance or perception that justice has been served is even more important than substantial justice itself. In other words, it's just more fuel to the fire.

Another one: Why in the HELL was Crawford officiating a Spurs game? Again, people assume when something looks bad that it is, in fact, bad.

ancestron
04-30-2008, 09:21 AM
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o170/ancestron/untitled-3.jpg

Taco
04-30-2008, 09:23 AM
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o170/ancestron/untitled-3.jpg

that about sum's it up :depressed

monosylab1k
04-30-2008, 09:24 AM
Now Suns fans have every right to bitch about last year.

E20
04-30-2008, 09:25 AM
Didn't Tim accidently bump into Bavetta? Granted Bavetta is 70 years older and much fragile, but this should be a similar scenario, and didn't Tim get suspended or ejected? Or am I wrong? I forgot what his 'punishment' was.

phyzik
04-30-2008, 09:28 AM
this is complete and utter bullshit. Oh well. Now everyone knows for sure the NBA is really WWE with a basketball.

spurs_fan_in_exile
04-30-2008, 09:38 AM
Didn't Tim accidently bump into Bavetta? Granted Bavetta is 70 years older and much fragile, but this should be a similar scenario, and didn't Tim get suspended or ejected? Or am I wrong? I forgot what his 'punishment' was.

I think it was Jack Nies, and Tim was suspended. I really don't know which is sadder: that this bullshit is happening or that it comes as such a small surprise. I hope Atlanta shocks the world and gives that rule bending SOB a karmic kick in the nuts.

And is any major national outlet stepping up and saying how fucked up this is? And it's only going to fuel every conspiracy minded fan outside of Boston. What is really has me looking at is the Lakers. I'm not saying they aren't a good enough team to win on their own, I'm just saying that the commissioner has just ignored a rule that he applied consistently for years in the name of getting the big market team some help. Is it so impossible to think that there could be bullshit to happen in the west as well? Stern is rapidly running out of credibility.

sribb43
04-30-2008, 09:39 AM

if i was a suns fans and saw this, i would be so pissed

Spurminator
04-30-2008, 09:40 AM
This has to suck for Suns fans. I wouldn't blame them for being pissed.

I didn't want Amare and Diaw to be suspended last year either, and this lack of action by the NBA seems to imply that they regret that decision. If the NBA is afraid of having to hand down harsh punishments to superstars over rule infractions, then they need to revisit the mandatory punishments. You don't just make exceptions in the middle of the Playoffs when your Boston Golden Ticket shoves a ref.

sribb43
04-30-2008, 09:42 AM
Im sorry spurs fans, its looks as if Stern will do everything to have a Celtics/Lakers Finals

Extra Stout
04-30-2008, 09:44 AM
What is really has me looking at is the Lakers. I'm not saying they aren't a good enough team to win on their own, I'm just saying that the commissioner has just ignored a rule that he applied consistently for years in the name of getting the big market team some help. Is it so impossible to think that there could be bullshit to happen in the west as well? Stern is rapidly running out of credibility.
Bill Simmons is on record predicting 80 free throw attempts for the Lakers in a hypothetical Game 7 against the Spurs.

BlackSwordsMan
04-30-2008, 10:26 AM
Garnett pushes a ref away and a player walks on the court.
No one is suspended. Good stuff

sribb43
04-30-2008, 10:27 AM
Bill Simmons is on record predicting 80 free throw attempts for the Lakers in a hypothetical Game 7 against the Spurs.

that doesnt seem too far fetched...honestly i wouldnt be surprised

spurscenter
04-30-2008, 10:39 AM
wow

Cry Havoc
04-30-2008, 10:41 AM
Sorry Suns fans. This is bunk and it's a total screwjob on you guys.

Findog
04-30-2008, 10:47 AM
Someone needs to photoshop Stern as Emperor Palpatine.

Lakers_55
04-30-2008, 10:57 AM
This has to suck for Suns fans. I wouldn't blame them for being pissed.

I didn't want Amare and Diaw to be suspended last year either, and this lack of action by the NBA seems to imply that they regret that decision. If the NBA is afraid of having to hand down harsh punishments to superstars over rule infractions, then they need to revisit the mandatory punishments. You don't just make exceptions in the middle of the Playoffs when your Boston Golden Ticket shoves a ref.

Probably the best reply I have seen, my emphasis why in bold. Way back in the 80's when Bird and Magic revived the NBA, the league wanted a Laker Celtic final as often as possible. The Chicago era was fine too for ratings and the NBA thrived under #23. Since The Jordan era, not much draw for the NBA outside of a Lakers finals. Really though, Boston has stunk for 22 years and most people have forgotten about them.

Revolution is a way to force change. This was one of the reasons the ABA was formed in the 60's. Stern has been in power for as long as I can remember. Either try to force him out, or threaten to make a new league again. What also bothers me is I do think there are refs that are making a few calls to swing some series in a chosen direction, be it for more gambling or for league plans. That's another topic altogether.

DazedAndConfused
04-30-2008, 11:15 AM
What's sad is NO media outlets are even talking about this.

Phenomanul
04-30-2008, 11:34 AM

As much as I can't stand Phoenix, the League's decision last year was supported by a very strong precedent from many other playoff games before it. Their blatant decision to 'look the other way' on this occasion completely shatters that premise. To top it off the media's incessant outcry over last year's decision is conveniently outdone by their own decision to ignore Garnett's infraction this time around.... Yeah... if I was a Suns fan, I would be pissed. :bang

If I were Duncan I'd also be pissed. :bang

NuGGeTs-FaN
04-30-2008, 11:36 AM
so now you guys are starting to see what i mean.

Utah is screwed in the next round. Lakers are going to the finals no matter what and it applies to Boston as well......

Kobe and KG are untouchable in the playoffs

Cry Havoc
04-30-2008, 11:43 AM
so now you guys are starting to see what i mean.

Utah is screwed in the next round. Lakers are going to the finals no matter what and it applies to Boston as well......

Kobe and KG are untouchable in the playoffs

I look for some of the worst officiating of the season tonight in Boston.

Final score 101-73 or something along the lines, with both Joe Johnson and Josh Smith in foul trouble throughout.

Atlanta CANNOT win this game. The League will not let it happen.

spurs_fan_in_exile
04-30-2008, 11:44 AM

Amen to that. Sadly I think it's the media outlets that are to blame for this as much as Stern's ego. It seemed like damn near every person with a sports column was publicly calling on Stern to act arbitrarily rather than simply enforce a clearly written rule last year, all in the name of making the Spurs/Suns series as competitive as possible. I guess now he feels like he has a national mandate to just make the rules as he sees fit.

It just pisses me off on so many levels. As a fan of the NBA it's an example of how if you're a big enough name you can get away with something. It was the same shit that disgusted me about the Jordan era. I know that many (probably Stern included) regard the Jordan Bulls dynasty as some sort of Golden Age but I fucking hated it. I feel bad for the Suns fans because they got seriously jobbed by Stern. There's no two ways about it. There were no rule changes as far as I know, only in the way that they were enforced. It's disgusting. It's rare that I feel any sympathy for Suns fans but I do now.

And finally, it pisses me off as a Spurs fan, because I've had to listen to I don't know how many people shit on their 07 championship because that series was "tainted" by the suspensions. In effect, the Spurs were getting blamed for Stern's unpopular decision, which he, at the time, acted like was the only choice he could have made. Now this.

Here's the most ludicrous part of all of this. Bill Simmons was against the suspensions last year as he was constantly jocking the Suns. I'm quite certain that his Celtics homer ass would be against any action that could hurt his beloved team. Bill Simmons, who is little more than a clown with a sports column, has had a more consistent position on these two situations than David Stern. Think about that.

Borosai
04-30-2008, 11:46 AM
Maybe they want to see Boston in the finals, or maybe they are gutless and don't want to handle any criticism (probably both). Either way, the league is losing credibility. Last year, they made the right choice because they had to enforce the rule; if they didn't, they wouldn't be able to do so fairly in any other situations. This year, they are looking the other way, and so is the media. By not suspending Garnett, the league better be ready to allow anything and everything this year. They fucked up.

demosthenes247
04-30-2008, 11:56 AM
Man that is such crap. I actually sympathize with Suns fans on this one. There is no doubt in my mind that had Dirk done the same thing, he would have definitely been suspended.

sribb43
04-30-2008, 11:57 AM
http://members.cox.net/enigmatics3/pics/hypocrisy3.jpg

1Parker1
04-30-2008, 12:19 PM
Well, I think Amare went on record and said he didn't think Perkins and company should be suspended as they barely took two steps onto the court before they stopped, unlike he and Diaw who went halfway there. I can agree with that difference.

What I don't understand is KG not getting a suspension for CLEARLY shoving aside a ref in the middle of an altercation. That to me, there was no gray area, whatsoever. Not only did he shove aside the ref, he proceeded to go towards the fight in an attempt to escalade it more, esp since he was the one that started the whole thing anyways.

TampaDude
04-30-2008, 12:20 PM

+1 What utter bullshit.

TampaDude
04-30-2008, 12:24 PM
Well, I think Amare went on record and said he didn't think Perkins and company should be suspended as they barely took two steps onto the court before they stopped, unlike he and Diaw who went halfway there. I can agree with that difference.

What I don't understand is KG not getting a suspension for CLEARLY shoving aside a ref in the middle of an altercation. That to me, there was no gray area, whatsoever. Not only did he shove aside the ref, he proceeded to go towards the fight in an attempt to escalade it more, esp since he was the one that started the whole thing anyways.

Stern wants to make sure KG can play...otherwise, they lose all that Gatorade ad $$$... :lol

spurs_fan_in_exile
04-30-2008, 12:25 PM
Stern wants to make sure KG can play...otherwise, they lose all that Gatorade ad $$$... :lol

The whole league is in the pocket of the Big Electrolyte lobby.

Cry Havoc
04-30-2008, 01:08 PM
Spurs fans backing Suns. Never thought I'd see the day.

See, Suns fans? We don't just hate your team.

Hello? Suns fans?

bdubya
04-30-2008, 01:38 PM
"The referee grabbed me. I don't expect to get suspended." -KG

WTF?? The ref grabs you so it's OK for you to push him away and then step towards Pachulia? Screw KG and screw Stern.

Poetic justice will come soon, when Stern has to figure out how to handle the impending KG/Bron exchange of punches. :hungry:

TampaDude
04-30-2008, 01:41 PM
Poetic justice will come soon, when Stern has to figure out how to handle the impending KG/Bron exchange of punches. :hungry:

My $$$ would be on LeBron in that matchup... :hat

Cry Havoc
04-30-2008, 01:56 PM
"The referee grabbed me. I don't expect to get suspended." -KG

WTF?? The ref grabs you so it's OK for you to push him away and then step towards Pachulia? Screw KG and screw Stern.

Yeah. I was kind of in KGs corner through most of this season.

No more. Now that he's being babied by Stern, I am going to root hard for the Celtics to fail before they even reach the Finals.

Kicking their ass on their own court to win the title would be delicious, though.

SpursWoman
04-30-2008, 02:02 PM
If even that Kevin Garnett/Celtics 3D-looking commercial that they play about 25 times during every playoff game has made me want to be a Hawks fan, this cements it.

What a bunch of crap. :flipoff

Obstructed_View
04-30-2008, 02:07 PM

I agree. The players that stepped on the court didn't violate the rule the same way Amare and Boris did. But the league had an obligation to at very least award KG a technical or impose a fine. They did nothing. The only way you're going to get suspended from here on out is if your name is Bowen.

ChumpDumper
04-30-2008, 02:08 PM
It's cool though. Refs can be now thrown around at will by players. Should make for great TV.

Indazone
04-30-2008, 02:11 PM
Yes NBA=WWF World Wrestling Federation.

Where games are rigged happens.

Condemned 2 HelLA
04-30-2008, 02:13 PM
How would Stern sell a possible (but highly unlikely) Jazz/Hawks Finals?
Watching him go into lawyer spin mode would be hilarious!

Borosai
04-30-2008, 02:40 PM
It's cool though. Refs can be now thrown around at will by players. Should make for great TV.

Yep.

Rummpd
04-30-2008, 02:47 PM
GO HAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!

I want them to win so much to get this to at least a 7 game series and then there is always a chance Garnett will choke like his historical self!

Cry Havoc
04-30-2008, 03:11 PM
I want to see a Hawks player shove a ref. Hell, at the first bad call, I'd make it a point to shove them.

Then when Stern suspends the Hawks player, it will be obvious what a FUCKING JOKE he is of a commish.

Stern, I've defended you for a long time, but I swear to god if it's a Lakers-Celtics finals and EITHER team gets there on the coattails of the refs, my days watching the NBA end when Duncan retires.

Really, this is what Stern wants? After the Donaghy scandal, THIS is what he wants?

This is why the NFL rules in ratings. Because the stars are not bigger than the game. I can only picture Stern calling KG into his office and having the Happy Gilmore sit-down with Garnett, with the TV replaying the incident over and over in the background.

"No no, KG, you can -have fun-, and that's why I think people (from Boston) will give two shits about you for a change. But if you shove a ref again, I'm going to have to start firing officials, and I can't have that!"

TDfan2007
04-30-2008, 04:43 PM
Complete bullshit that KG wasn't suspended.

His choker ass has been kissed by the media all fucking season while Tim Duncan, who does everything he does - only better, gets no respect from the media. It's complete bullshit. If Tim or Dirk would've shoved an official like that then it would've been a suspension.

Hell Tim got suspended for accidentally running into Jack Nies in the 04 regular season.

Kiss my ass Stern.

td4mvp21
04-30-2008, 05:23 PM
I agree. The players that stepped on the court didn't violate the rule the same way Amare and Boris did. But the league had an obligation to at very least award KG a technical or impose a fine. They did nothing. The only way you're going to get suspended from here on out is if your name is Bowen.

God that pisses me off even more. KG shoves a ref and nothing. Bowen gets kicked in the balls BY PAUL and is suspended for "kicking" Paul. Stern is a fucking dictator. I can't wait until the day the bitch steps down.

Red Hawk #21
04-30-2008, 05:32 PM

Stern is only deciding the series he wants to decide no surprises here

SRJ
04-30-2008, 07:53 PM

Actually, I'm hardly surprised no one in the media is talking about this.

It would be nice to see the refs show some backbone and protest this non-decision. For all the shit they have to put up with, refs need some protection from the league.

Avitus1
04-30-2008, 08:12 PM
He is so far up the ass of the Celtics its not even funny.

Armando
04-30-2008, 08:19 PM
He should at least gotten a fine. I don't think suspensions are warranted nor were they last year.

pauls931
04-30-2008, 08:51 PM
Spurs fans backing Suns. Never thought I'd see the day.

See, Suns fans? We don't just hate your team.

Hello? Suns fans?

Suns fan here. Good job Spurs this time (or bad job Suns depending on how you look at it). But yeah, the suspensions last year hurt and I didn't like it for Phoenix or the Spurs since I'm sure San Antonio would prefer to beat the Suns at full strength.

I just saw the garnette footage and while I think it would be weak for the people stepping on the court to be suspended. I find it amazing that garnette did not get a suspension. Definitely preferential treatment and I agree that the league really wants a Celtics/Lakers final.

I don't think Atlanta has a chance, but they do prove that no matter how good you are if you slack, even the crappiest team giving it their all can take you out.

Spurs as much as I despise you, if you make it past NO, PLEASE TAKE OUT THE LAKERS!!! That Gasol trade pissed me off too.

TampaDude
04-30-2008, 09:10 PM
Shit, even the Haier commercials show Celtics-Lakers on the HDTV... :bang

Armando
04-30-2008, 09:12 PM
But it goes to show Stern has discreation. Last year he made it seem the suspensions were mandatory and the rules were not subject to flexibilty.

Obstructed_View
04-30-2008, 10:04 PM
But it goes to show Stern has discreation. Last year he made it seem the suspensions were mandatory and the rules were not subject to flexibilty.

Since the term "intentional contact with an official" seems just as black and white as the rule about leaving the bench, I have to agree. They said there was no choice last year. That's clearly a lie. I was defending them for sticking to their guns last year, but they haven't made a lick of sense since that time.

boutons_
04-30-2008, 10:08 PM
anybody got a video so I can get pissed off, too?

TampaDude
04-30-2008, 10:10 PM
NBA = WWE

All that's missing are the ropes around the fucking court.

ShoogarBear
04-30-2008, 10:33 PM

You notice the douchebag said nothing about how the Celtics are going to get the golden pathway.

ShoogarBear
04-30-2008, 10:47 PM
And for those keeping score, Horford got called for the pussiest flagrant foul ever against KG tonight. It wasn't even close to one.

SRJ
04-30-2008, 10:48 PM
What was the penalty for the Flagrant? Forfeiture for game six?

TampaDude
04-30-2008, 10:50 PM
And for those keeping score, Horford got called for the pussiest flagrant foul ever against KG tonight. It wasn't even close to one.

If the Hawks are getting blown out in Game 7, I'd like to see Horford drop KG, or better yet, Pierce like a sack of bricks...YOU WANT FLAGRANT??? I'LL GIVE YOU FLAGRANT!!! :lol

mavsfan1000
04-30-2008, 10:50 PM
See my signature below.

Armando
04-30-2008, 10:52 PM
If the Hawks are getting blown out in Game 7, I'd like to see Horford drop KG, or better yet, Pierce like a sack of bricks...YOU WANT FLAGRANT??? I'LL GIVE YOU FLAGRANT!!! :lol

I am sure if it is a blowout in the 4th quarter Rivers will pull his starters before anything happens but then it is Rivers coaching.

SpursFanFirst
04-30-2008, 11:42 PM
Disgusting.
I have to side with the Suns fans on this one.
I can't even believe how bad this is.

tlongII
04-30-2008, 11:53 PM
Illogical, but not unexpected.

mFFL03
05-01-2008, 12:04 AM
i want to see this....video anyone?

Mister Sinister
05-01-2008, 12:17 AM
Oh....Oh, God. I...I'm not sure, but I think this may have overloaded my bullshit detector. I watched, and re-watched the incident just now, and I swear I felt something pop somewhere inside my head...and I think it was my bullshit detector.

spurs_fan_in_exile
05-01-2008, 12:25 AM
i want to see this....video anyone?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKsS-3j9sfg

XKsS-3j9sfg

greyforest
05-01-2008, 04:26 AM
the fix is in guys

SpursFanFirst
05-01-2008, 04:40 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKsS-3j9sfg

XKsS-3j9sfg

This was the first time I'd seen this...that's truly disgusting.
Wow, that's bad!

carina_gino20
05-01-2008, 09:15 AM
From the NBA rulebook http://www.nba.com/media/rule_book_2007-08.pdf :

E. PHYSICAL CONTACT—SUSPENSION
Any player or coach guilty of intentional physical contact with an official shall automatically
be suspended without pay for one game. A fine and/or longer period of suspension will
result if circumstances so dictate.

Okay. So maybe a suspension would be a bit too much. But I can't believe there wasn't at least a fine.

boutons_
05-01-2008, 09:25 AM
yep, preferential, unequal treatment.

punkass balla pushing the ref perfectly clear.

Fucking white Euro bigs, what a bunch of pussies. :lol

Pachulia grabs street cred!

Garnett trashed to the floor by big white Red Rocket, then
headed up by big white Pachulia!

Oh Lawdy, woe is me!

What's a punk-ass prima donna balla gotta do to get respek? :lol

(how about win a playoff game on the road? :lol )

Reggie Miller
05-01-2008, 09:31 AM
The way I read the rule, a one game suspension is mandatory, while the fine is discretionary. That is, Garnett had to miss at least one game if that rule was invoked.

The only question I have is which game? The rest of the game in which the contact occurred, or the next game?

This is just crap. Even if Stern legitimately didn't think this qualifies as a violation of the rule, then completely ignoring the incident still makes it look like skullduggery. (Obviously, we tend to think that it is a fix.) As I said earlier in this thread, you have to assume the worst, because these people are not morons. They know it is bad from a P.R. perspective to allow the appearance or even intimation of rigging games. Yet, they still pulled this crap. That gives you an idea of the money the league must think is at stake.

Kobayagi
05-01-2008, 09:39 AM
Any player or coach guilty of intentional physical contact with an official shall automatically
be suspended without pay for one game. A fine and/or longer period of suspension will

So I guess Garnett's contact with the official from last night shown on today's NBA top 10 (8th place) is unintentional as well?

Borosai
05-01-2008, 09:53 AM
The saddest thing is that EVERYONE knows he should've been suspended. It's as clear as my ass pimples.

2Cleva
05-02-2008, 12:49 PM
The reason why KG got off was because the ref initiated the contact with him, not KG.

As for why Diaw/Amare got suspended and Perknis/Williams didn't - a closer look at the rules reveals the truth.

http://www.nba.com/media/rule_book_2007-08.pdf

Page 43.

During an altercation, all players not participating in the game must remain in the immediate vicinity of their bench. Violators will be suspended, without pay, for a
minimum of one game and fined up to $50,000.

Williams and Perkins were in the immediate vicinity of their bench. They each had took about a step or two off.

Amare and Diaw were damn near at mid-court.

I can't stand Stern but he and Stu were right on those rulings.

And it seems time has helped people forget how far Amare/Diaw went.

Here is the Nash foul

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0qe7PGCQvI

-0qe7PGCQvI

Look at the 1:20 second mark - Amare and Diaw are right there next to Nash, Amare on the court, and both are near the scorer's table.

Again, look at the 3:06 mark. You see Amare and he's almost even with Nash but he throws his towel off and he's not heading to Nash, he's heading to the floor before an assistant coach pulls him off. He even passes the white line for the "coach's box". Diaw was right next to him.

The two are definitley moving to get in the mix of what is going on the floor. No question about that. That is nothing close to Perkins and Williams taking a step on the court and standing there.

1Parker1
05-02-2008, 01:24 PM
:lmao Songolia gets suspended for the "punch" on Lebron, but KG and company don't even get a fine?!?!?

mavsfan1000
05-02-2008, 03:06 PM
I'm actually rooting for the Celtics but this shows you how biased the NBA actually is. The mavs would not be able to get away with that. Fuck you Stern.

ImmortalD24
05-02-2008, 03:26 PM
I look for some of the worst officiating of the season tonight in Boston.

Final score 101-73 or something along the lines, with both Joe Johnson and Josh Smith in foul trouble throughout.

Atlanta CANNOT win this game. The League will not let it happen.:toast Good call!

Deuces88
05-02-2008, 03:41 PM
I disagree with the few people saying Garnett should get a fine instead of suspension. If you don't get suspended for attacking a player AND a ref, then what would you suspend for? Carrying a gun onto the court?

Anyway, you guys need to relax. Remember 04 playoffs? I am pretty sure that the Lakers that season (Kobe, Shaq, Malone, Payton) had so many fans cumming over them that I think they had some questionable calls to let the Lakers get to the finals (The 0.4 shot by Fisher is questionable because I'm not even sure you can touch and shoot that fast).

What you have to notice is that those questionable (or "rigged" if you want to call it that) calls only work when the game is close down the stretch. They couldn't do a series of questionable calls to let a team go on a run but it would be too obvious.

The Pistons in the finals, didn't allow the game to get close enough to be decided by a call. They just flat out raped that Laker team (who was overrated IMO that year). Utah or Spurs can probably do the same (Boozer will pound of Gasol all day).

Cavs-Celtics series, I feel for LeBron at times. There are times where people just f*ck with him (e.g. Haywood pushing him for no reason) and LeBron can't do crap back because he can't afford to get suspended because his team will definitely lose.

I would like to see Garnett pull that on Rasheed. Rasheed gets technicals all the time, he won't be afraid to bust Garnett's skinny ass. Or even the Magic: Is Dwight Howard gonna have to choke a Celtic?

JamStone
05-02-2008, 04:04 PM
From the NBA rulebook http://www.nba.com/media/rule_book_2007-08.pdf :

Okay. So maybe a suspension would be a bit too much. But I can't believe there wasn't at least a fine.

There's always discretion. It's never black and white. That's why you don't see players getting ejected or suspended if they "intentionally" pat an official on the back for a good call or put their arms around an official to discuss a call.

Stern isn't necessarily wrong not suspending KG for this because a rule can and should always be discretionary to some degree.

Stern is wrong for making it appear that rules are black-and-white, clear cut and have no room for discretion when he made his ruling last year against Amare and Boris in the Spurs-Suns series.

phx_13
05-02-2008, 04:23 PM
was this the same game stern was at...wtf

Deuces88
05-02-2008, 04:24 PM
Look, since Garnett is getting off for throwing off a ref, elbowing a guy in the face, and intentionally trying to start another fight, I don't think any player should be suspended for anything ever again.

deL!
05-02-2008, 05:44 PM
Pachulia would stomp on Garnett

LakerMagic
05-02-2008, 07:22 PM
so that dude on the wizards gets suspended and NOT Garnett????

Fuck Stern.

ShoogarBear
05-02-2008, 07:23 PM
What would happen if LeBron flagrantly fouled Garnett?

I think Stu Jackson's head would implode.

David Stern
05-02-2008, 08:01 PM
KG lost his cool as the ref was grabbing KG making the big ticket feel uncomfortable. KG was already upset but holding him that way is sexual harrasment. That ref is lucky to still have his job.

Again as my sig says, Lakers vs Celtics=RATINGS!

Spurs vs Pistons=The rest of the country tuning into the Spelling B.

David Stern
05-02-2008, 08:02 PM

I think Stu Jackson's head would implode.

Both will get fined and be forced to say they are sorry to each other face to face. Suspensions are no where on the radar.

David Stern
05-02-2008, 08:05 PM
Pachulia would stomp on Garnett

If he even attempts to do that, his nba career will be in jepordy.

David Stern
05-02-2008, 08:07 PM
so that dude on the wizards gets suspended and NOT Garnett????

Fuck Stern.

Then go root for the Wizards if I piss you off that much. The Lakers make me money and I am a huge help to that franchise. You need to be grateful that your team is in a huge market. Now run along youngster.

Mavs<Spurs
05-02-2008, 11:01 PM

Well, that should fuel speculation for oh another month and a half.

And then we may know things that we wish we didn't.

Mavs<Spurs
05-02-2008, 11:03 PM
Since the term "intentional contact with an official" seems just as black and white as the rule about leaving the bench, I have to agree. They said there was no choice last year. That's clearly a lie. I was defending them for sticking to their guns last year, but they haven't made a lick of sense since that time.

Agreed.

Now what?

Cred is sinking!

Armando
05-02-2008, 11:04 PM
The Wizards got screwed. Is Stern for real? After all the physicality in the playoffs you suspended Songalia for an elimination game? For that? If it had been LeBron doing thst to Songalia no way does Stern suspend his meal ticket.

Mavs<Spurs
05-02-2008, 11:06 PM
My $$$ would be on LeBron in that matchup... :hat

what match-up?

That would be competitive like Dallas and New Orleans, not at all.

spurs_fan_in_exile
05-02-2008, 11:08 PM
Bowen would get kicked out of the league.

Armando
05-02-2008, 11:08 PM
Bowen would get kicked out of the league.

:lol

m33p0
05-02-2008, 11:14 PM
stern will suspend joe johnson for game 7 for being clutch.

Mavs<Spurs
05-02-2008, 11:15 PM
Go Atlanta!

:ihit

Armando
05-02-2008, 11:16 PM
stern will suspend joe johnson for game 7 for being clutch.

Sarver you idiot! You could not find a way to keep him in PHX?

monosylab1k
05-02-2008, 11:56 PM
Sarver you idiot! You could not find a way to keep him in PHX?

LOL and then Atlanta got a top-3 pick last year so they were able to keep it to get Horford. Phoenix sucks!