PDA

View Full Version : Avery Fired! Official!

monosylab1k
04-30-2008, 01:01 PM
per the ticket. article coming.

monosylab1k
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3375306

Source: Johnson ousted after Mavs' playoff exit
By Marc Stein
ESPN.com

The Dallas Mavericks parted company with coach Avery Johnson on Wednesday, a day following the team's first-round exit from the NBA playoffs, ESPN.com has learned.

Speculation about Johnson's future with the franchise had been mounting for weeks, after Dallas struggled to reach the playoffs as the seventh seed following its midseason acquisition of Jason Kidd.

Johnson became Mavs coach during the 2004-05 season and walks away with a 194-70 record (.735) but only a 23-24 mark in the playoffs.

NBA front-office offices sources told ESPN.com that both the Mavs and Johnson, feeling that a coaching change was inevitable, wanted to come to a resolution quickly so Dallas could begin interviewing other candidates and Johnson could pursue another job.

Evan
Yup...they just announced it.

Cry Havoc
04-30-2008, 01:02 PM
Crazy, but not unexpected.

Evan
04-30-2008, 01:04 PM
Avery will have a new job so fast.

mavsfan1000
04-30-2008, 01:06 PM
Avery will have a new job so fast.
And than destroy that team as well.

JamStone
04-30-2008, 01:08 PM
This calls for a celebration. Let's blaze one, J-Ho!

BlackSwordsMan
04-30-2008, 01:13 PM
This calls for a celebration. Let's blaze one, J-Ho!
I don't think he waits for anyone to invite. He's probably started already

BlackSwordsMan
04-30-2008, 01:14 PM
Who is gonna replace Avery?

JamStone
04-30-2008, 01:15 PM

Larry Brown will announce his resignation with the Bobcats tomorrow. The following day, there will be a press conference announcing Larry Brown as the new Mavericks head coach.

Evan
04-30-2008, 01:17 PM
Larry Brown will announce his resignation with the Bobcats tomorrow. The following day, there will be a press conference announcing Larry Brown as the new Mavericks head coach.

:lol

And you know what...this could happen.....hahaha

VinnyTestesVerde
04-30-2008, 01:18 PM
i think the mavs will end up regretting this. just a feeling.

xtremesteven33
04-30-2008, 01:21 PM

JASON KIDD

MajicMan
04-30-2008, 01:21 PM

He took you to the finals. I guess if you need a scapegoat. Just like Byron Scott was the scapegoat in NJ. I'm sure B Scott was lovin it. Sweet revenge for him. Cuban is the damn fool. He makes way too many damn trades and he let Nash walk. He fucked all this up. He was also the one that traded away the future for a washed up superstar. Dallas fans are fucktarded.

mavsfan1000
04-30-2008, 01:22 PM
What we regret is this didn't happen earlier when we had the talent to go all the way and was still young.

monosylab1k
He took you to the finals. I guess if you need a scapegoat. Just like Byron Scott was the scapegoat in NJ. I'm sure B Scott was lovin it. Sweet revenge for him. Cuban is the damn fool. He makes way too many damn trades and he let Nash walk. He fucked all this up. He was also the one that traded away the future for a washed up superstar. Dallas fans are fucktarded.

I'm going to kill you in your sleep.

Mavs<Spurs
I think that it was a mistake to fire Avery.

Will they find anyone better?

I understand the argument, but I don't see them getting a better coach, especially with their personnel.

:wakeup

mavsfan1000
04-30-2008, 01:23 PM
Avery and Cuban both fucked up. Cuban should've fired Avery instead of making a trade. I'm glad that annoying little midget is gone.

Kermit
04-30-2008, 01:23 PM
I think that it was a mistake to fire Avery.

It's kind of hard not to fire someone when the entire team quit on him. A change of scenery will do everybody good.

MajicMan
04-30-2008, 01:24 PM
Avery and Cuban both fucked up. Cuban should've fired Avery instead of making a trade. I'm glad that annoying little midget is gone.
Mark Cuban is still the owner duh

Budkin
04-30-2008, 01:24 PM
Come on Pop... bring him back to SA as your heir!

mavsfan1000
04-30-2008, 01:25 PM
Mark Cuban is still the owner duh
Kill yourself already.

xtremesteven33
04-30-2008, 01:26 PM

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

lurker
04-30-2008, 01:26 PM
Bye, Avery. Thanks for the memories.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=gLV3a4CgYLE&feature=related

edit: why won't it let me embed youtubes anymore?

Evan
04-30-2008, 01:27 PM
I think Avery will end up being a lot like Bill Parcell’s…such an intense coach can only work on a team for a short time. Its just too much for the long run. That’s not criticism, just the way it is.

mavsfan1000
04-30-2008, 01:27 PM
This team won because of talent and not because of Avery. Avery though did everything he could to fuck this team up this year. Good riddance to him being gone.

monosylab1k
04-30-2008, 01:28 PM
7zEJ5m429AI
STAY HARD, AVERY!

BlackSwordsMan
04-30-2008, 01:29 PM
Suns and Mavs should just merge for one season. Both owners hate the Spurs.

mavsfan1000
04-30-2008, 01:30 PM
I think Avery will end up being a lot like Bill Parcell’s…such an intense coach can only work on a team for a short time. Its just too much for the long run. That’s not criticism, just the way it is.
An intense coach with low Coaching IQ.

LazinessThievery
04-30-2008, 01:31 PM
Yeah, blame Avery when Cuban adds a washed-up slow-ass wife-beater in Kidd so he can get destroyed by any PG faster than a paraplegic glacier and when the team's best player is a Charmin-soft willowy pansy who couldn't defend his dead grandmother in her coffin. Yeah, all Avery's fault...

VinnyTestesVerde
What we regret is this didn't happen earlier when we had the talent to go all the way and was still young.

but that's all hindsight. you had to at least give avery a fair shot at trying to get it done. if you had fired him too early you would never have known. i still kind of feel like it's too early. i feel like after the mavs' multiple oustings, he should now be able to see that maybe he was going about things the wrong way. i could be totally wrong, but i thought he would have some time to change.

you make a good point about the personnel too...the team needs some revamping. the mavs didn't have the talent either, this wasn't purely a coaching problem. on top of that, the hornets are damn good.

anyway...like others are saying...who then now? who are legitimate candidates?

monosylab1k
Yeah, blame Avery when Cuban adds a washed-up slow-ass wife-beater in Kidd so he can get destroyed by any PG faster than a paraplegic glacier and when the team's best player is a Charmin-soft willowy pansy who couldn't defend his dead grandmother in her coffin. Yeah, all Avery's fault...

Hi Suns Fan.

Findog
04-30-2008, 01:33 PM

That's not possible. Avery did some good things during his tenure here, but his usefulness was up.

ehz33satx
04-30-2008, 01:38 PM

H*LL F*CK NO!

VinnyTestesVerde
04-30-2008, 01:38 PM
That's not possible. Avery did some good things during his tenure here, but his usefulness was up.

i hear you, i guess i'm just thinking that swapping out coaches isn't going to be enough. aren't some personnel changes needed? surely it's not all coaching...

Findog
04-30-2008, 01:39 PM

Hi, Suns fan. Did you enjoy your annual fishing trip courtesy of the Spurs?

Findog
04-30-2008, 01:40 PM
i hear you, i guess i'm just thinking that swapping out coaches isn't going to be enough. aren't some personnel changes needed? surely it's not all coaching...

Oh, this team absolutely has personnel issues that won't be solved simply by swapping out coaches. No disagreement there.

JamStone
Mark Cuban will have a reality show to find the next head coach of the Mavericks...

"Who Wants to Coach the Mavericks?: Benefactor Edition"

It will end up being some 19 year waitress whose life long dream is to pose for Playboy.

Findog
This is a year too late. It should've happened after the GS series.

Findog
Mark Cuban will have a reality show to find the next head coach of the Mavericks...

It will end up being some 19 year waitress whose life long dream is to pose for Playboy.

:lmao

monosylab1k
04-30-2008, 01:41 PM

The top candidates will play a game of Jenga to see who gets the job.

TampaDude
04-30-2008, 01:42 PM

:lmao

JamStone
04-30-2008, 01:43 PM
"Dancing with the Stars" D-list celebrity contestants are encouraged to try out. Cuban thinks of you all as family and recalls that two month period as the best time of his life.

Indazone
04-30-2008, 01:47 PM
Damn it. I was praying and hoping that the Mav's would keep Avery. Now they might have a chance of becoming good again. bleah!

Well then do us a favor and hire Van Gundy. Trade one knucklehead coach for another.

fitzgerald
04-30-2008, 01:50 PM
This is a year too late. It should've happened after the GS series.

I agree 100%. One year too late.

ducks
04-30-2008, 02:08 PM
I would have fired aj last year
I think this year blaming the kidd failure on him is stupid

dickface
04-30-2008, 02:20 PM
I would have fired aj last year
I think this year blaming the kidd failure on him is stupid

I think you're stupid.

sribb43
04-30-2008, 02:20 PM

Obviously you havent watched much mavs bball since the 2006 Finals

Los Spurs
04-30-2008, 02:30 PM
Got Knicks?

Findog
04-30-2008, 02:32 PM
www.fireavery.com

I'm seriously thinking of starting a mavs blog:

www.firstroundexit.blogspot.com

edit: Dammit! That's the perfect name for a mavs blog and somebody beat me to it. And he's not even using it, one fucking post.

clambake
04-30-2008, 02:36 PM
how about dunleavy?

Findog
04-30-2008, 02:41 PM
just registered this one:

http://first-round-exit.blogspot.com/

1Parker1
04-30-2008, 02:43 PM
Regardless of what happened and AJ's coaching potential, he had to be let go for the simple fact that he definitely seemed to have lost connection and respect of his players. Anytime that happens, a coach needs to exit; See Skils, Scott from Chicago and Scott, Byron from New Jersey.

VinnyTestesVerde
04-30-2008, 03:31 PM
Regardless of what happened and AJ's coaching potential, he had to be let go for the simple fact that he definitely seemed to have lost connection and respect of his players. Anytime that happens, a coach needs to exit; See Skils, Scott from Chicago and Scott, Byron from New Jersey.

that's a fair assessment i think. just unfortunate...i thought he really had somethin. i just hope some roster changes are made too, because that's gotta be part of the problem...

sribb43
04-30-2008, 03:37 PM
3-12 playoff record since 2-0 lead in '06 Finals.....thats what really matters. Avery's regular season record doesnt mean a thing

duncan228
04-30-2008, 05:41 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/chris_mannix/04/30/avery/index.html

Winning Is Everything: Absence of playoff success doomed Johnson
by Chris Mannix
Story Highlights
Mavs have been one and done two straight years
Johnson won't be the Mavs' last dismissal this offseason
Could Cuban chase Krzyzewski or Izzo as coach?

Avery Johnson was not fired as head coach of the Dallas Mavericks because his relationship with owner Mark Cuban had soured. If Johnson were winning championships, he could have talked to Cuban the way Billy Walsh of "Entourage" talked to E and the Mavericks owner wouldn't have blinked.

Nor was Johnson shown the door because he clashed philosophically with point guard Jason Kidd. Not specifically, anyway. Johnson and Kidd could have engaged in WWE-style wrestling matches over strategy during timeouts -- just so long as the team was winning.

No, Johnson was fired for the reason most coaches are (or at least should be): He couldn't get the job done in the postseason.

For the second time in as many seasons, Cuban watched his $105.3 million investment exit the playoffs with barely a whimper. Last season it was the fast-breaking Golden State Warriors who sent Dallas packing, dismissing the top-seeded Mavs in six games. It only took five games this season for a young New Orleans Hornets team to bounce Dallas, leaving Cuban seething on the sidelines and in search of a fall guy.

Johnson was it.

Johnson certainly deserves credit for changing the culture in Big D. Under Don Nelson the Mavericks showed only a passing interest in playing defense. With Johnson on the sidelines, Dallas morphed into a stingy unit, ranking sixth in scoring defense this season (95.9 points per game).

That regular season success, however, did not transfer to the postseason. Much like the 2007 playoffs, Johnson couldn't devise schemes to stop the simplest of styles. Golden State ousted the Mavericks by pushing the tempo and playing a smaller defender on Dirk Nowitzki. The Hornets, who utilize the pick-and-roll as a staple, hammered Dallas over the head with it. And everything Johnson threw at Chris Paul, from traps to double-teams to different defenders, failed.

For that he was fired.

But he may not be the only one leaving Dallas.

His dismissal is likely the first in a wave of changes for the Mavericks, which Nowitzki hinted at in his postgame press conference Tuesday night. "I'm sure there are going to be some changes," said Nowitzki. "Once you don't win the championship, you always have to look at what you're going to do to make the franchise better."

Those changes could include Dirk. As disappointing as the loss to New Orleans is, Dallas won't panic and make a knee-jerk deal involving Nowitzki. But after years of steadfastly standing by his star, Cuban (who once refused to include Dirk in any deal with the Lakers for Shaquille O'Neal) may be willing to seriously entertain offers.

And Nowitzki could still fetch a nice price. At 29, he is a year removed from an MVP season and is still one of the league's elite scorers (23.6 points per game in the regular season). What if Miami lands one of the top-two picks? Could a package of Nowitzki and a future first-round pick for Shawn Marion and the Heat's choice entice Pat Riley? Could the Mavs throw in, say, Brandon Bass (the only player on Dallas who showed up for the first-round series) and get the deal done? What about Memphis? Would it package a Derrick Rose/Michael Beasley pick with Mike Miller and salary filler for Nowitzki?

Dallas will also have to explore its options at the center position. If the NBA gave out its version of the Razzie Awards for playoff series, Erick Dampier would sweep several categories. Cuban's $73 million investment contributed no points and no rebounds in 25 minutes in Game 5 and was consistently outplayed by Tyson Chandler throughout the series. There is no telling how successful Dallas would have been had it suited up a young, energetic center like Chandler. Defensive rotations would have been quicker. More shots would have been blocked, or at least altered.

Finding that type of player should be one of the Mavericks' top priorities in the offseason. The free agent pickings are slim: Emeka Okafor and Nenad Krstic are out of Dallas's price range and Primoz Brezec and Rasho Nesterovic aren't options. The Mavericks also don't have a first-round pick, having surrendered it to New Jersey in the Kidd trade. If Dallas is looking to replace Dampier, it will have to get creative.

The Mavs may also get creative in replacing Johnson. This will ostensibly be Cuban's first independent hire: He inherited Don Nelson when he bought the team in 2000 and allowed Nelson to groom Johnson as his hand-picked successor. While names of the usual candidates (Rick Carlisle, Paul Silas, Jeff Van Gundy) will be bandied about, it wouldn't surprise me to see Cuban make a big-money bid for Duke's Mike Krzyzewski or Michigan State's Tom Izzo. Krzyzewski flirted with the Lakers in 2004 while Izzo said recently that he would be open to talking to NBA teams.

The Mavericks are in line for an overhaul. Just how big is the only question.

Mr.Bottomtooth
04-30-2008, 05:42 PM
Phase 1 of Operation: Rebuild complete.

ratm1221
04-30-2008, 07:12 PM
Yup, time for a major overhaul to the mavs. Start from scratch. Only one safe is Dirk. We're stuck with Kidd another year I guess...

clambake
04-30-2008, 07:17 PM
we should keep bass, too.

StylisticS
04-30-2008, 08:22 PM
Yup, time for a major overhaul to the mavs. Start from scratch. Only one safe is Dirk. We're stuck with Kidd another year I guess...

Have no problem with that. Have to take the licks now. Oh well, hopefully the Stars continue on their magical ride and the Cowboys begin a magic ride.

endrity
04-30-2008, 08:49 PM
I think some of you underestimate the effect Avery had on the roster. He was given full control by the FO to implement his "system".

He WANTED Kidd here. And not only did he want him because he was Jason Kidd, he wanted him because he failed at developing Devin at anything more than a one trick pony.

He also refused to develop some other younger players like Daniels, Diop, Powell (starting this year for the Clippers).

He filled the roster continually with older players, players he played against. When asked what they were actually bringing to the team his answer was always "inantgibles, veteran leadership..." How much leadership does a team that went to the Finals need????
Some of this weird lovefest was shown at times by overlplaying Stack as well.

It was not only his strategies, but his roster decisions as well, that made this decision a no brainer.

Most likely Avery will continue to grow into a good coach sometime down the line. But the Mavs can't wait on him, and most importantly he has lost his ties with everyone in the organization.

There are hints, which I think are very well kept at bay, that Dirk and Avery can barely stand each other. Avery tried to trade him, threw him under the bus last year. Dirk responded with a mediocre season until Kidd came along, and than his personal coach had an interview back in Germany where he pretty much said that Avery is an idiot. It can't get worse than this I think.

pauls931
04-30-2008, 08:59 PM
I guess they can't fire Mark Cuban? Being a Suns fan, if they do fire Dantoni, I'd love it if they picked up Avery even if he's an ex Spur.

GuerillaBlack
04-30-2008, 09:12 PM
How dumb must Michael Jordan feel. He could have hired Avery Johnson right now instead of Larry Brown.

Roxsfan
04-30-2008, 09:14 PM
If they wanted Avery, they would have held off--you could see this coming for weeks. The reason they gobbled up Larry was because they WANTED him.

pauls931
04-30-2008, 09:15 PM
How dumb must Michael Jordan feel. He could have hired Avery Johnson right now instead of Larry Brown.

I listened to the press conference where larry brown spoke and he didn't even sound excited about the job. Pretty boring. BTW where is the smiley with the Go Suns flag? :bking

monosylab1k
04-30-2008, 10:53 PM
There are hints, which I think are very well kept at bay, that Dirk and Avery can barely stand each other.

Dirk would never say it publicly, but he definitely hinted at it with some comments from time to time, most notably after the loss to the Spurs when Kidd was on the bench.

Also every timeout that I saw on TV, if you looked at Dirk, he basically was never looking at Avery or even seeming to pay attention. He was always off staring at the scoreboard or elsewhere. Probably because Avery was so predictable that he knew what Avery would say before he said it.

monosylab1k
04-30-2008, 10:55 PM
Other than Stackhouse (his buddy), and Terry (always positive), nobody on the team really has had a whole lot positive to say about Avery this entire season.

Findog
04-30-2008, 10:56 PM
Dirk would never say it publicly, but he definitely hinted at it with some comments from time to time, most notably after the loss to the Spurs when Kidd was on the bench.

Dirk is 100% pure class. You can read between the lines here and see that he thinks Avery is a fucking moron, but he hedges his words carefully and doesn't throw him under the bus:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3375306

"We probably could have opened it up a little more, have a little more free flow, let Jason create and not just make him a weakside spot-up shooter," Nowitzki said. "But, you know, Avery had us believing in the system, and that's the way he thought we could be the most efficient."

Indazone
04-30-2008, 11:00 PM
Avery sounds just like Van Gundy. That would be awesome if Cuban hired him lol.

Armando
04-30-2008, 11:01 PM
Jason Kidd gets another one fired. How come this douchebag wife beater is always getting cuddle by the media?

freemeat
05-01-2008, 12:37 AM

AJ took that team further than Nellie could have...

The team panicked after their first-round beat-down with GS and completely jumped the gun on the trade for Kidd. I mean, they were so set on making changes, they only took about 24 hours to fix it after the first shot didn't go through (due to George).

It's not like Devin Harris was their saviour there or anything, but he at least helped them to the finals...on a team that was able to knock off the defending champ Spurs.

Sure, he was "outcoached" against GS, but Nellie knew their game plan from the inside and AJ is still learning.

I'm one Spurs fan who hated to see AJ sign with the enemy, but am damn sure not happy that Dallas is letting him go. If Dallas has an ace-coach up their sleeve, then maybe I'm wrong...but AJ taught that team defense like it never had.

There's only one team in the western "elite" that needs a new coach -- The Suns.

T Park
05-01-2008, 01:47 AM
Come on home Avery

endrity
05-01-2008, 04:56 AM
Guys,

Avery wanted Kidd here!!! After the first trade failed, he insisted that the Mavs make the deal and convinced Cuban to pay 12 more million dollars to have him in Dallas.

He screwed himself with that deal.

Freemeat, it's true that the defense improved under Avery however don't forget that the team went through a huge roster turnover which brought in players that could play defense instead of the Nash-Finley-Dirk Mavs teams. And that defense regressed a lot this year because Avery was putting more and more offensive minded teams on the floor, smallball teams which took away the Mavs' huge edge in rebounding. Our improvement in rebounding is probably the main factor that pushed us through to the 06 Finals.

ponky
05-01-2008, 05:50 AM
*sigh* i'm just glad i missed more than half the season this year, i can only handle so much stupidity and i'm already a knicks fan as well...anyway good luck to all the teams who are moving on, i will still be watching and enjoying the games at least for the sake of watching some basketball. i should also change that dumbass pic of jho since i'm not happy with him but i'm too tired so whatever.

Bruno
05-01-2008, 07:05 AM
I'm curious to see what Mavs will do this summer.

Five years ago, Mavs were a crazy team. They made a lot of flashy trades, played offensive minded basketball without a lot of fundamentals. The end of that era was in 03-04 when Mavs failed with Nash, Finley, Jamison, Dirk and Walker. This team was insanely talented but they failed because you can't win with crazy basketball.

Cuban made after that the right choice and decided to turn Mavs into a more reasonable team : less trades, a more balanced roster, developing young players, more sounded basketball with some defense...

It works well until the loss against Warriors. Warriors were quite similar to what Mavs were five years ago. They were also a crazy team that played crazy basketball and did some big trades. On top of that, they were coached by Mavs former coach. The craziness beat the reason.

This year, Mavs put some craziness in their sounded basketball. They played more small and did a big trade in February. And they failled again.

Cuban should be quite lost right now and don't know what direction to give to his team.

monosylab1k
05-01-2008, 07:43 AM
Avery wanted Kidd here!!! After the first trade failed, he insisted that the Mavs make the deal and convinced Cuban to pay 12 more million dollars to have him in Dallas.

He screwed himself with that deal.

Not according to OV The Omnipotent Spurs Fan. He apparently used ESP to gather info and found out that Avery wanted no part of Kidd.

Sportcamper
05-01-2008, 10:09 AM
The Mavs were 35-18 before giving up Devin Harris and a package of players and picks for Kidd... They went 16-13 after he arrived — 17-17 counting the playoffs….Fire the coach…It is his fault…:bang

clambake
05-01-2008, 10:15 AM
avery didn't trust harris

avery and cuban argued over bass' playing time(cuban was right about this)

avery made some of the worst substitutions known to man.

avery just failed miserably on making adjustments.

Sportcamper
05-01-2008, 10:22 AM
Avery brought some “Spurs D” emphasis to the Mavs…And from the sound bites I am able to hear from the courtside on TV…He follows the game & makes adjustments…

I like Avery…Other than Dirk I think he was the best thing the Mavs had going….

clambake
05-01-2008, 10:26 AM
Avery brought some “Spurs D” emphasis to the Mavs…And from the sound bites I am able to hear from the courtside on TV…He follows the game & makes adjustments…

I like Avery…Other than Dirk I think he was the best thing the Mavs had going….

fair enough. i'll give you avery, you give me jackson.

monosylab1k
05-01-2008, 11:14 AM
Avery's press conference is going on right now.

Damn, that guy is a Grade-A Bullshitter.

monosylab1k
05-01-2008, 11:14 AM
And it's pretty obvious he's read this book cover to cover.

http://www.passingbucks.com/gfx/cover.jpg

monosylab1k
05-01-2008, 11:16 AM
Now apparently the Kidd trade wasn't his fault, not developing Harris properly wasn't his fault, losing to Miami wasn't his fault, the 67 win team was really only as good as a 52 win team, therefore losing to the Warriors is acceptable, he's basically not responsible for anything that went wrong......

....I was starting to feel some sadness over losing Avery, but this bullshit press conference has killed any good will I was feeling.

Fuck Avery.

clambake
05-01-2008, 11:18 AM
what else?

monosylab1k
05-01-2008, 11:20 AM
He's definitely, without blatantly saying it, making the point that he didn't want Kidd and that Kidd is 100% responsible for this team's failures. At the same time he said he approached Cuban this year and told him "I need a point guard!" and basically called Devin out for not being a good passer.

He's found a way to throw Kidd and Harris under the bus at the same time.

clambake
05-01-2008, 11:23 AM
nothing about howard?

monosylab1k
05-01-2008, 11:25 AM
nothing about howard?

they asked him about it, but he really didn't offer anything new. Just "bad judgement, hope he gets it together, etc"

He did say there wasn't a positive vibe in the locker room towards Howard by the other guys.

sribb43
05-01-2008, 11:27 AM
He's definitely, without blatantly saying it, making the point that he didn't want Kidd and that Kidd is 100% responsible for this team's failures. At the same time he said he approached Cuban this year and told him "I need a point guard!" and basically called Devin out for not being a good passer.

He's found a way to throw Kidd and Harris under the bus at the same time.

You can tell that he was trying to imply that he didnt want Harris to leave and pass the blame to others....He built up Devin as a 18ppg 8ast guy and said he invested some much time into him....like someone said, GRADE A BSer

monosylab1k
05-01-2008, 11:30 AM
You can tell that he was trying to imply that he didnt want Harris to leave and pass the blame to others....

What I don't get is...

He says Terry played great at point and that he's the reason they got to the Finals,

And he says that Harris was on the brink of being an All-Star,

So why did he also say that he went to Cuban this year and said "We need a PG"?

According to Avery, he had 2 great ones. According to Avery, he didn't want Kidd. But also according to Avery, they "needed a PG" this season.

That guy is so full of shit.

sribb43
05-01-2008, 11:33 AM
He said he went to management with the players that he felt they needed would help their team and Donnie and Mark went after those guys...Those are guys who are old vets which avery loves....so he just indited himself with that statement

clambake
05-01-2008, 11:35 AM
He said he went to management with the players that he felt they needed would help their team and Donnie and Mark went after those guys...Those are guys who are old vets which avery loves....so he just indited himself with that statement

if thats true, why do we need donnie?

monosylab1k
05-01-2008, 11:37 AM
if thats true, why do we need donnie?

good question.

sribb43
05-01-2008, 11:38 AM
Avery got the players he wanted and it failed...simple as that and thats what led to his demise

sribb43
05-01-2008, 11:39 AM
Congratulations Dallas you got rid of that little piece of shit!!! All you need to do is get or that moron Howard and that ass clown Stack and the team should be looking decent:toast

1 down, 2 to go

sribb43
05-01-2008, 11:42 AM
Oh ya and Avery said it was a miracle the mavs made the playoffs

clambake
05-01-2008, 11:50 AM
wish we knew the players that went to the party.

and if there was bad vibes toward howard, didn't he think it might reflect on the court?

sribb43
05-01-2008, 11:54 AM
wish we knew the players that went to the party.

and if there was bad vibes toward howard, didn't he think it might reflect on the court?

my guesses would be Wright, George, Damp, Lue

clambake
05-01-2008, 12:13 PM
there's only a few of us in here, so, what do you guys think about Dunleavy for coach?

he hates the clips owner and cuban will give him what he needs.

sribb43
05-01-2008, 12:17 PM
there's only a few of us in here, so, what do you guys think about Dunleavy for coach?

not a fan of dunleavy...my fav is Rick Carlisle. he did good things in indiand but got screwed by Artest and the idiots on that team. Also he did really well in Detriot but got shafted by Larry Brown

clambake
05-01-2008, 12:20 PM
i've sat behind the bench during several clip games.

this guy has skills.

Findog
05-01-2008, 12:21 PM

He lives in FTW, so it might be a fit of convenience.

clambake
05-01-2008, 12:24 PM
ummm, FTW? is that fort worth?

Reggie Miller
05-01-2008, 12:29 PM
Carlisle is another coach with a fixed lifespan, as he is a bit of a red-ass. However, he tends to keep his teams together and focused longer than Brown or JVG. Like Larry Brown and JVG, once he loses a team, forget it. The Pacers may have been a special circumstance, but he does have a history of wearing out his welcome. I could see him working out for a four-year plan, let's say.

I would be a liar if I claimed to know much about Dunleavy. I've never watched his teams, and he has had some crappy ones, from a personnel standpoint.

You don't want LB (taken anyway) or JVG. Either of these guys would be great for turning a trainwreck into something respectable, but that's their lifespan with a team. Dallas isn't that hard up; trust me.

I know this sounds crazy (and he's not available), but someone like Mike Brown* would be ideal. From what I can tell, Brown lets his players do what they want on offense so long as they play defense. (I realize that is an oversimplification, but roll with me here.) This team needs an injection of new blood and some fun. I get the feeling the Mavericks hate showing up to work some nights. I never saw the point in bringing in a raftload of veterans, just to micromanage them.

* Just for the record, I don't think Mike Brown is a great coach, but he is the only example I could think of with that style.

Findog
05-01-2008, 12:41 PM

yes.

monosylab1k
05-01-2008, 02:54 PM
On the radio there's some talk that one of the reasons Del Harris left the bench was because of friction with Avery. Anybody heard anything else about this? They always seemed to work well together, so I don't know.

stretch
05-01-2008, 02:57 PM

it can also stand for "FOR THE WIN!"

monosylab1k
05-01-2008, 02:59 PM
btw Avery foolishly burned another bridge in Dallas - Norm Hitzges has always been a huge Avery ass kisser, they had their weekly show together, and this week Avery promised twice to appear on Norm's show but stood him up both times. Meanwhile, he appeared with Randy Galloway (who he reportedly was in collusion with regarding releasing news stories of his upcoming departure).

Well after stiffing Norm twice, Norm went on the freaking warpath against Avery today, and I bet he'll continue to do so. Avery had the most respected man in Dallas sports radio history on his side, and he just pissed him off big time. Big mistake.

Islymore
05-01-2008, 03:04 PM
http://www.dallasbasketball.com/fullColumn.php?id=424

an interestin read for Mav fans... your choice to read and believe or disregard. but i found it worthwhile....

quoted from the article:

DEL’S DEPARTURE: You first read about Del Harris’ semi-retirement a year ago in this space. Now know this: Del sits in a luxury suite at Mavs games and serves as a consultant to the owner in large part because Avery forcefully decided he no longer needed the once-valued guidance of the man the inexperienced coach used to refer to as “Professor.’’

Obstructed_View
05-01-2008, 03:26 PM
btw Avery foolishly burned another bridge in Dallas - Norm Hitzges has always been a huge Avery ass kisser, they had their weekly show together, and this week Avery promised twice to appear on Norm's show but stood him up both times. Meanwhile, he appeared with Randy Galloway (who he reportedly was in collusion with regarding releasing news stories of his upcoming departure).

Well after stiffing Norm twice, Norm went on the freaking warpath against Avery today, and I bet he'll continue to do so. Avery had the most respected man in Dallas sports radio history on his side, and he just pissed him off big time. Big mistake.

If Norm suddenly starts saying something different just because he got stood up, then it sounds like he wasn't worthy of all that respect in the first place.

lurker
05-01-2008, 03:31 PM
On the radio there's some talk that one of the reasons Del Harris left the bench was because of friction with Avery.
That's what I've thought for a while. I remember reading a few things before Del left about him and Avery having some disagreements about the team, but I never thought it was that big of a deal until Del decided to take the year off. I think he just grew tired of not being listened to and didn't see any point in sticking around.

monosylab1k
05-01-2008, 03:35 PM
If Norm suddenly starts saying something different just because he got stood up, then it sounds like he wasn't worthy of all that respect in the first place.

Do you understand the concept of editorial journalism?

Norm is only a legend of Dallas sports radio - that's all. Certainly more deserving of respect than Grandpa Urine.

What Avery did was on par with skipping an interview with Dick Schaap so you can do one instead with Jim Rome.

GuerillaBlack
05-01-2008, 03:49 PM

Norm is only a legend of Dallas sports radio - that's all. Certainly more deserving of respect than Grandpa Urine.

What Avery did was on par with skipping an interview with Dick Schaap so you can do one instead with Jim Rome.

He is saying Avery was not deserving of that respect in the first place.

Obstructed_View
05-01-2008, 03:51 PM
Yes, and it isn't to get butt-hurt because someone stands you up and suddenly go 180 with your opinions because you are angry.

This has nothing to do with who I like more; I was probably listening to Norm on KLIF before you were a Mavericks fan. What I'm saying is that if Norm has something different to say about AJ now that he feels personally slighted then it's highly unprofessional, and maybe someone who does that isn't really worthy of the respect that he didn't get from AJ in the first place.

I know you little vultures are giddy that anyone shits on AJ so you can perpetuate the myth that he's the reason the team continues to choke, but if what's been reported in this thread is correct, then Norm was only too happy to sacrifice his integrity by throwing AJ to the wolves to satisfy a personal agenda, and it's shameful.

Obstructed_View
05-01-2008, 03:52 PM
He is saying Avery was not deserving of that respect in the first place.

Nope, I'm talking about Norm. If what everyone is saying about AJ is true, then he isn't terribly honorable either. But I actually hold Hitzges to a higher standard.

Shank
05-01-2008, 03:52 PM

Please. Galloway got Avery because he called him directly. Avery could have said no to him as well. Just goes to show who has more pull in the Metroplex, regardless of any stupid namecalling. What makes anyone think Norm deserves more respect than Galloway?

monosylab1k
05-01-2008, 03:57 PM
Please. Galloway got Avery because he called him directly. Avery could have said no to him as well. Just goes to show who has more pull in the Metroplex, regardless of any stupid namecalling. What makes anyone think Norm deserves more respect than Galloway?

:lmao I understand why you "have" to take this stance, but come on.

The collusion going on between Avery and Grandpa Urine is pretty well documented. That's the only reason Avery would give him the time of day is because he shoved his nose so far up Avery's ass, promising to do his bidding.

Norm was reasonable and acted as a friend to Avery. He is a notorious ass kisser to all the coaches in Dallas but he's always still fair about it. I don't like everything about Norm, but he's far more respectable and has quite a bit more credibility than that drunken dumbass Galloway.

monosylab1k
05-01-2008, 03:58 PM
Just goes to show who has more pull in the Metroplex

How was Galloway's live NFL draft coverage? Whoops.

monosylab1k
05-01-2008, 04:02 PM
I don't want to turn this into another ESPN Radio vs. The Ticket smack fest, because there's positives and negatives about both stations. But let's not go saying foolish things like Galloway being more respected than Norm Hitzges.

Shank
05-01-2008, 04:06 PM
How was Galloway's live NFL draft coverage? Whoops.

How was Norm's phonecall from the President, congratulating him on his 5000th show?

Shank
05-01-2008, 04:07 PM
But let's not go saying foolish things like Galloway being more respected than Norm Hitzges.

Respect or not, he clearly has more pull and influence than Norm. But it's not even a competition between them - they're good friends with each other in the first place.

monosylab1k
05-01-2008, 04:09 PM
How was Norm's phonecall from the President, congratulating him on his 5000th show?

His Grandpa Urine love probably explains this.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/a/af/Gallup_Poll-Approval_Rating-George_W_Bush.png/600px-Gallup_Poll-Approval_Rating-George_W_Bush.png

monosylab1k
05-01-2008, 04:10 PM
Respect or not, he clearly has more pull and influence than Norm.

I guess if Norm wanted to get into collusion with coaches, promising to release stories for them, he might have the same pull.

monosylab1k
05-01-2008, 04:12 PM
The only thing positive I can say about Galloway is that he's 1000000000000x better than The Hardline. And that's not saying much at all.

Obstructed_View
05-01-2008, 04:13 PM
I don't want to turn this into another ESPN Radio vs. The Ticket smack fest,
Way too late, then. I don't give a shit about Norm's personal feelings of entitlement. If he lashed out in reaction to losing a scoop, then he's a piece of shit, pure and simple. It pains me to say that, but it's the truth. I could care less about either station or their respective positions on the issues.

Shank
05-01-2008, 04:16 PM
I guess if Norm wanted to get into collusion with coaches, promising to release stories for them, he might have the same pull.

You keep using this word collusion. That's a Mike Fisher creation. Avery and Galloway became great friends by working charity events together and kept in touch with him throughout the season. Does anyone think this is the first time he's become friends with a head coach? Bobby Valentine, Jimmy Johnson, Nelly, etc. How is it 'collusion' by being a friend of the guy off the court and gaining his trust in a way where you'd get the first interview after his firing? Sounds like Norm has the redass.

monosylab1k
05-01-2008, 04:22 PM
How is it 'collusion' by being a friend of the guy off the court and gaining his trust in a way where you'd get the first interview after his firing?

If that's the spin Grandpa Urine is putting on all of this, cool. And it doesn't have to do with a "first" interview. Norm was slapped across the face by Avery, when Norm has always been a good supporter of Avery. That's all.

stretch
05-01-2008, 04:22 PM
Respect or not, he clearly has more pull and influence than Norm.

Not fucking close.

monosylab1k
05-01-2008, 04:24 PM
Anyways, I think the ratings speak for themselves.

Shank
05-01-2008, 04:24 PM
Not fucking close.

Explain.

Shank
05-01-2008, 04:26 PM
Anyways, I think the ratings speak for themselves.

Between 2 shows that aren't even on at the same time?

Obstructed_View
05-01-2008, 04:28 PM
If that's the spin Grandpa Urine is putting on all of this, cool. And it doesn't have to do with a "first" interview. Norm was slapped across the face by Avery, when Norm has always been a good supporter of Avery. That's all.

A "good supporter" wouldn't turn on him for personal reasons. Nor would a good journalist, for that matter.

stretch
05-01-2008, 04:29 PM
Explain.

Mono appears to have it covered.

mavs>spurs2
05-01-2008, 04:31 PM
Who gives a shit, Avery's gone be happy!!!!!

stretch
05-01-2008, 04:31 PM

I'm not some major expert on radio shows or anything, but common sense would tell me more people would have opportunities to listen to Galloway as he comes on during afternoon hours, when many people are stuck in traffic on the way home from work, as opposed to 10-noon when Norm's show is on, and people are still at work.

Shank
05-01-2008, 04:32 PM
Mono appears to have it covered.

But I asked you to explain why you would say it wasn't 'fucking close'.

monosylab1k
05-01-2008, 04:33 PM

The Marconi helps too.

mavs>spurs2
05-01-2008, 04:33 PM
Mav Fans Rejoice!

monosylab1k
05-01-2008, 04:35 PM
Anyways, I do like stuff about ESPN Radio. Just not Grandpa Urine. I don't know the circumstances, but it's really a shame Cooperstein isn't on the air more. Is he full-time play by play?

stretch
05-01-2008, 04:36 PM
But I asked you to explain why you would say it wasn't 'fucking close'.

Because if you have 5 dollars, and Norm Hitzges has 5 dollars, Norm has more money than you.

monosylab1k
05-01-2008, 04:37 PM
A "good supporter" wouldn't turn on him for personal reasons. Nor would a good journalist, for that matter.

I don't think you get it. But then again, you know with certainty that Avery was 100% against the Kidd trade when every report says otherwise. So maybe your omnipotence is just too powerful.

monosylab1k
05-01-2008, 04:37 PM
Because if you have 5 dollars, and Norm Hitzges has 5 dollars, Norm has more money than you.

I have a milkshake, and you have a milkshake. And I have a straw. And my straw reaches aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaall the way across the room, into your milkshake, I DRINK YOUR MILKSHAKE!

Shank
05-01-2008, 04:38 PM
The Marconi helps too.

Continue to eat from the trough and believe everything that station tells you. You'd hate to have the curtain pulled back on what it's really like over there and what has transpired over the years.

Even a movie like "Crash" can win Best Picture.

monosylab1k
05-01-2008, 04:39 PM
Continue to eat from the trough and believe everything that station tells you. You'd hate to have the curtain pulled back on what it's really like over there and what has transpired over the years.

I'm sure your opinion is 100% objective.

Obstructed_View
05-01-2008, 04:41 PM
I don't think you get it. But then again, you know with certainty that Avery was 100% against the Kidd trade when every report says otherwise. So maybe your omnipotence is just too powerful.
Every report?

http://mavsblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2008/05/avery-further-distances-from-kidd-trade.html

Maybe your stupidity is just too powerful.

This has nothing to do with anyone's views on anything, other than Norm's willingness to completely change them because he got his feelings hurt.

monosylab1k
05-01-2008, 04:42 PM
Every report?

http://mavsblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2008/05/avery-further-distances-from-kidd-trade.html

You just completely made an ass of yourself with that link.

My educated guess, based on following this team all season and conversations with folks in the know, is that this is revisionist history at its finest.

Avery yanked play-calling duties from Harris a month into the season and raved about the trade after the trigger was pulled. So Avery, who declared himself "a man of honesty and integrity" this morning, wasn't being truthful either then or now.

I recall a few Avery rants directed toward the media about not giving Kidd a chance to fit into Dallas before judging the trade. If you believe what Avery said today, he might as well have been talking into a mirror.

clambake
05-01-2008, 04:43 PM
can either one of those guys coach?

if not, expand on the del harris angle.

stretch
05-01-2008, 04:43 PM
Every report?

Dude, a large majority of the reports that came out around the time that the trade actually happened had said that Avery wanted someone like Kidd ever since he began coaching here. It wasn't really until the last day or so that it became apparent that he really would have rather kept Devin... or so he says... then again, he insists he is on fine terms with Mark Cuban, so...

Shank
05-01-2008, 04:47 PM
can either one of those guys coach?

if not, expand on the del harris angle.

Del is 71 years old and took the time away from the bench (part of the reason, at least) to spend more time with his family.

The gig is Donnie's any time he wants it. Cuban and Dirk both support that move. But Donnie doesn't want to move from the office.

Short list includes JVG, Carlisle, Thibodeaux with more candidates to come as they're fired (D'Antoni, Mitchell, Saunders).

monosylab1k
05-01-2008, 04:49 PM
Del is 71 years old and took the time away from the bench (part of the reason, at least) to spend more time with his family.

Is there any truth to that article talking about Avery forcing Del out?

clambake
05-01-2008, 04:50 PM
coach donnie? i don't think i can bring myself to saying that.

Obstructed_View
05-01-2008, 04:52 PM
coach donnie? i don't think i can bring myself to saying that.

How about "little whistle"?

Shank
05-01-2008, 04:53 PM

I don't know about necessarily forcing Del out, but I think Avery made the decision that he didn't need a "babysitter" any longer and wanted to assume all of the sideline duties by himself. It's this attitude that pissed off Westphal and Elie - two guys that were brought in to teach certain aspects of the game but never had the chance to do so under Avery. Avery ultimately got what he wanted and look where it got the team.

Obstructed_View
05-01-2008, 04:54 PM

I heard a report that Del said he left because he didn't get along with AJ.

I hope the Mavs don't entertain the idea of hiring D'Antoni, especially if they aren't going to think about hiring Westphal.

monosylab1k
05-01-2008, 04:56 PM
I don't know about necessarily forcing Del out, but I think Avery made the decision that he didn't need a "babysitter" any longer and wanted to assume all of the sideline duties by himself. It's this attitude that pissed off Westphal and Elie - two guys that were brought in to teach certain aspects of the game but never had the chance to do so under Avery. Avery ultimately got what he wanted and look where it got the team.

Donnie said this morning that they have no interest in promoting anybody on the coaching staff, but I'm wondering if Westphal, Prunty, or Elie would be a good fit.

monosylab1k
05-01-2008, 04:59 PM
I hope the Mavs don't entertain the idea of hiring D'Antoni, especially if they aren't going to think about hiring Westphal.

I get physically ill every time I hear D'Antoni's name mentioned.

Shank
05-01-2008, 05:01 PM
Donnie said this morning that they have no interest in promoting anybody on the coaching staff, but I'm wondering if Westphal, Prunty, or Elie would be a good fit.

I don't think they'd get the head coaching gig, but they'll definitely be used more as assistants than they were in their tenure under Avery. MAVS ASSISTANT JOE PRUNTY will probably follow Avery to wherever he's headed.

Obstructed_View
05-01-2008, 05:01 PM
I get physically ill every time I hear D'Antoni's name mentioned.

Yeah. I thought the Mavs made strides to improve their defense, and it's slowly eroded away, and any mention of D'Antoni's name would be a white flag.

I'd love to see Elie as a head coach. There are those of us that (correctly) believe he was the real leader of the '99 championship team. I'm not positive that any situation in Dallas is going to be conducive to success for a coach, particularly a young one. The Mavs sort of need someone that's got some skins.

clambake
05-01-2008, 05:06 PM
donnie is responsible (in large part) for that bench. why is he allowed to open his mouth?

Shank
05-01-2008, 05:11 PM
donnie is responsible (in large part) for that bench. why is he allowed to open his mouth?

The poor acquisitions were 95% Avery, 5% Donnie. Donnie has a FAR better eye for talent than Avery every will. I welcome some of the upcoming moves that Donnie can make now that Avery isn't screaming and demanding to have his way.

ducks
05-01-2008, 05:13 PM
I do not want them to get rick

GuerillaBlack
05-01-2008, 05:24 PM
Anyways, I do like stuff about ESPN Radio. Just not Grandpa Urine. I don't know the circumstances, but it's really a shame Cooperstein isn't on the air more. Is he full-time play by play?

What happened to that one idiot Jennifer Ingram? She said Houston should lose their franchise because they didn't draft Reggie Bush.

GuerillaBlack
05-01-2008, 05:25 PM
Yeah. I thought the Mavs made strides to improve their defense, and it's slowly eroded away, and any mention of D'Antoni's name would be a white flag.

I'd love to see Elie as a head coach. There are those of us that (correctly) believe he was the real leader of the '99 championship team. I'm not positive that any situation in Dallas is going to be conducive to success for a coach, particularly a young one. The Mavs sort of need someone that's got some skins.
Don't forget the "Kiss of Death" when he played for the Rockets.

Shank
05-01-2008, 05:29 PM
What happened to that one idiot Jennifer Ingram? She said Houston should lose their franchise because they didn't draft Reggie Bush.

She died.

Obstructed_View
05-01-2008, 05:32 PM
Don't forget the "Kiss of Death" when he played for the Rockets.

I didn't forget it, I just didn't think it was relevant.

GuerillaBlack
05-01-2008, 05:41 PM
She died.

Really, what happened?

Shank
05-01-2008, 05:49 PM
Really, what happened?

Failed robbery.

Obstructed_View
05-01-2008, 07:39 PM
Really, what happened?

No.

mavsfan1000
05-01-2008, 09:21 PM
I do not want them to get rick
As in he is a great coach and you fear him or that you think he sucks? I think he would be the best fit for this team.

mavs>spurs2
05-01-2008, 11:36 PM
The funniest part about it all is how he's throwing everyone under the bus on ESPN. Especially the part where he tried to downplay how good that 67 win team was in 06. Earth to Avery, that team was very good they had the championship almost in the bag, it was YOUR SHITTY ASS COACHING that fucked us over in the end..with a little help from Dwade and his 3 man crew.

Obstructed_View
05-01-2008, 11:52 PM
The funniest part about it all is how he's throwing everyone under the bus on ESPN. Especially the part where he tried to downplay how good that 67 win team was in 06. Earth to Avery, that team was very good they had the championship almost in the bag, it was YOUR SHITTY ASS COACHING that fucked us over in the end..with a little help from Dwade and his 3 man crew.

Yeah, Dirk missing that free throw was completely on AJ and the refs. :lol

Findog
05-01-2008, 11:54 PM

Is that where the series was solely won or lost? That ft would've sent the game into OT, no guarantees that Mavs would've won. That FT cemented one loss, not four. What was more indefensible was the entire team not showing up for G4. Completely turned the series around right there, swung the momentum firmly back to Miami.

mavs>spurs2
05-02-2008, 12:04 AM

If there's one thing I can't stand, it's smug-asses like you coming in here all high and mighty because of the Mavs debacle and acting like a know it all. Anyone who watched that series, anyone with HALF A BRAIN, knew that something wasn't right with the way games 2, 4, and 5 were officiated. And don't even get me started on Avery Johnson, if you think he wasn't a major factor in our lack of success these last 2 years then GTFO.

Obstructed_View
05-02-2008, 12:07 AM
Is that where the series was solely won or lost? That ft would've sent the game into OT, no guarantees that Mavs would've won. That FT cemented one loss, not four. What was more indefensible was the entire team not showing up for G4. Completely turned the series around right there, swung the momentum firmly back to Miami.

The point is that you'd rather blame the coach that just got fired for something abstract rather than even accept the fact that the superstar you love choked away a chance to go up 3-0. The entire team didn't show up after Dirk missed that free throw, too, but you choose whatever suits you at the time. This is why I said two years ago that your love affair with him was going to go south. You'll turn on Dirk soon enough.

Obstructed_View
05-02-2008, 12:09 AM
anyone with HALF A BRAIN, knew that something wasn't right with the way games 2, 4, and 5 were officiated.

I really couldn't have said it any better myself. You guys certainly fit the profile.

Findog
05-02-2008, 12:18 AM
The point is that you'd rather blame the coach that just got fired for something abstract rather than even accept the fact that the superstar you love choked away a chance to go up 3-0.

Dirk missed an opportunity for the Mavs to send the game into overtime and play for a 3-0 lead. I don't think we're in disagreement there. If you think the series was won or lost on that FT, then we are. Can you point me to where I blamed Avery for that missed FT? I'm not an all or nothing person like you: I don't think Avery is the source of everything wrong in Mavs land, nor do I think he is entirely blameless for how things have gone. You are the one who would rather absolve Avery of his fair share of blame for the team's current predicament just so can lob potshots at Cuban and Dirk.

The entire team didn't show up after Dirk missed that free throw, too, but you choose whatever suits you at the time.

I choose rationality and reason and try to accurately describe what happens. You might try that yourself sometime, instead of letting your better instincts go the way of smug sanctimony.

This is why I said two years ago that your love affair with him was going to go south.

I don't believe you ever addressed me about the subject two years ago. Avery got fired for the job that he's done since then.

You'll turn on Dirk soon enough.

For what? Not winning a title? In case you haven't noticed, I'm a Dallas Mavericks fan.

Findog
05-02-2008, 12:19 AM
I really couldn't have said it any better myself. You guys certainly fit the profile.

Of those mentioned, only G5 was fishy, but whatever. The Mavs shot themselves in the foot plenty in that series.

mavs>spurs2
05-02-2008, 12:35 AM

Oh look the hardass "owned" me. I stand by what I say, your a smug ass Spur fan who knows nothing about the Mavs or the horrors of having to put up with Avery as a coach.

mavs>spurs2
05-02-2008, 01:03 AM
When Wade dribbled down the sideline, shoving Dirk out of the way and Dirk was called for the foul, I knew something wasn't right. I've never seen someone win an NBA finals game off a non shooting foul, especially not such a blatantly obvious bad call.

mavsfan1000
05-02-2008, 01:41 AM
Of those mentioned, only G5 was fishy, but whatever. The Mavs shot themselves in the foot plenty in that series.
Game 3 was almost as bad. Game 4 didn't matter as it was a blowout anyway. Even game 6 had some bad calls. The refs fucked up that series big time.

Obstructed_View
05-02-2008, 05:44 AM
Dirk missed an opportunity for the Mavs to send the game into overtime and play for a 3-0 lead. I don't think we're in disagreement there. If you think the series was won or lost on that FT, then we are. Can you point me to where I blamed Avery for that missed FT? I'm not an all or nothing person like you: I don't think Avery is the source of everything wrong in Mavs land, nor do I think he is entirely blameless for how things have gone. You are the one who would rather absolve Avery of his fair share of blame for the team's current predicament just so can lob potshots at Cuban and Dirk.

See my other post. I don't think AJ is blameless at all. The AJ situation is very analougous to the Devin Harris situation in that many Mavs fans really like someone until they are gone at which point they are the worst thing that ever happened to the team. Perhaps once everyone cools down this will change, but the revisionist rhetoric about how Devin Harris is a team killer that doesn't deserve any credit for the Mavs' success is still going strong from many of the same people that talked him up since he came back from injury in '06. There's always the way the entire fanbase turned on Michael Finley as well. Hell, there still isn't any evidence to support any other conclusion than that the Kidd trade was a huge mistake, but I don't think anyone is willing to accept it just yet.

Before I go pointing out where you blamed AJ for that free throw, do you realize that my post was in response to someone else blaming AJ's SHITTY ASS COACHING and the officiating? That bullshit about the officiating still drives me crazy, since Dirk benefitted from the same types of calls against San Antonio but I didn't hear anyone from Dallas expressing concern.

I choose rationality and reason and try to accurately describe what happens. You might try that yourself sometime, instead of letting your better instincts go the way of smug sanctimony.
If you don't think it can be rationally or reasonably argued that the Dallas Mavericks' collapse in the series could be a carryover from the way they choked away the fourth quarter of game three, or even the deflation from Dirk missing that freebie, then I don't know how to respond. There are a number of possible reasons for them just suddenly going limp in the playoffs, in my opinion. Usually the players are a larger factor than the head coach, and there's an awful lot of blame being aimed just at the coach. If they don't go belly-up in the playoffs ever again, then the criticism will be a little more justified. Until then, there's still some question, and getting the right answer would be important.

I don't believe you ever addressed me about the subject two years ago. Avery got fired for the job that he's done since then.
The honeymoon period bought him a pass after the Golden State series. He wasn't going to survive a first round exit this year under any circumstances, and we all pretty much knew that, despite the fact that there was no way the Kidd-led Mavericks were ever going to beat New Orleans. It could reasonably be argued that Avery Johnson got fired because the Kidd trade didn't work out, and the organization needed someone to blame. If not for Golden State, everyone would have realized that you can't re-tool your roster in the middle of the season and expect a championship run.

For what? Not winning a title? In case you haven't noticed, I'm a Dallas Mavericks fan.
Then perhaps the gloves will come off if and when he's traded. Maybe it's human nature to suddenly despise a player when he's traded away as the reason for previous failure.

stretch
05-02-2008, 07:50 AM
lame.