PDA

View Full Version : Coming to Town!!

SaintHornet
04-30-2008, 02:23 PM
Hello All,

First of all, yes, I am a Hornets fan, and no, I am not here to make trouble. I am planning to make the trip there to see either Game 3 or 4 in S.A. I am assuming Games 3 and 4 will be Fri/Sun, but don't quote me on that. If that ends up being the case, I will probably come in for the Sunday game.

Now my question to you all is, other than attending the game, what do you most recommend to an out of towner visiting your city for the 1st time? I would greatly appreciate all of the input as it would help me out in my planning.

By the way, I look forward to a very competitive series with no injuries. Personally, i would have rather played the Suns but we have to beat the best before we can be the best. May the best team win!!

GinobiliLooms
04-30-2008, 02:24 PM
there is one "m" in "coming"

FromWayDowntown
04-30-2008, 02:25 PM
I'll ask the same question, as I'm considering (in fact, am really close to confirming) going to NOLA for Game 1.

FromWayDowntown
04-30-2008, 02:26 PM
I was going to recommend that all Hornets fans coming to San Antonio (or comming, whatever) be sure to get to the Alamodome early for the games!!

ChumpDumper
04-30-2008, 02:28 PM
Well the mulch fire is out, so I don't have any suggestions.

NoMoneyDown
04-30-2008, 02:30 PM
The zoo? The Alamo (you have to go AT LEAST 427 times)?

stretch
04-30-2008, 02:31 PM
May the best team win!!

The best team is the Spurs.

spurs_fan_in_exile
04-30-2008, 02:34 PM
I'll ask the same question, as I'm considering (in fact, am really close to confirming) going to NOLA for Game 1.

If you see a fat drunk white guy there's a good chance I'm related to him. Those Cajun Catholics breed faster than the nutria there. That reminds me: watch out for the nutria.

On a more serious note, check out the D-Day Museum. It's absolutely awesome, but make sure you have a few hours to devote. It's massive.

travis2
04-30-2008, 02:36 PM
hey...what's wrong with cajun Catholics? :p: :lol

SPARKY
04-30-2008, 02:36 PM
The best parts of SA to visit are the West, East, and South sides.

pawe
04-30-2008, 02:37 PM
Hello All,

First of all, yes, I am a Hornets fan, and no, I am not here to make trouble. I am planning to make the trip there to see either Game 3 or 4 in S.A. I am assuming Games 3 and 4 will be Fri/Sun, but don't quote me on that. If that ends up being the case, I will probably come in for the Sunday game.

Now my question to you all is, other than attending the game, what do you most recommend to an out of towner visiting your city for the 1st time? I would greatly appreciate all of the input as it would help me out in my planning.

By the way, I look forward to a very competitive series with no injuries. Personally, i would have rather played the Suns but we have to beat the best before we can be the best. May the best team win!!

This one's gonna be a troll in 5, 4, 3.....

DarrinS
04-30-2008, 02:38 PM
Santa?

honestfool84
04-30-2008, 02:38 PM

hahahahahahahahahaha

TampaDude
04-30-2008, 02:39 PM

Yes...and I hear the neighborhood around the AT&T Center is a lot of fun after dark... :lol

Obstructed_View
04-30-2008, 02:41 PM
That reminds me: watch out for the nutria.

http://www.lacoast.gov/WaterMarks/2000b-06/3recipe/

Louisiana Nutria Recipe
Chef Philippe Parola Commandeur des Cordon Bleu de France
Chef Parola Enterprises: Jackson, LA www.chef-parola.com
[now http://www.chefphilippe.com/ -webmaster]
Heart Healthy "Crock-Pot" Nutria

2 hind saddle portions of nutria meat
1 tomato, cut in big wedges
2 carrots, sliced thin
1/2 cup white wine
2 teaspoons chopped garlic
1 cup demi glace (optional)
1 small onion, sliced thin
2 potatoes, sliced thin
Brussel sprouts
1 cup water
salt and pepper to taste

Layer onion, tomato, potatoes, carrots and Brussel sprouts in crock pot. Season nutria with salt, pepper and garlic to taste and place nutria over vegetables. Add wine and water, set crock pot on low and let cook until meat is tender. Cook for approximately 4 to 6 hours. Garnish with vegetables and demi glace (4 servings).

boutons_
04-30-2008, 02:42 PM
zoo (93 years old and prettied up for 90th bday), riverwalk, SA Botanical Gardens, McNay Museum, Witte Museum, the amusement parks.

travis2
04-30-2008, 02:47 PM
I was going to recommend that all Hornets fans coming to San Antonio (or comming, whatever) be sure to get to the Alamodome early for the games!!

:lol

boutons_
04-30-2008, 02:49 PM
I saw this, finally one in SA:

http://ourbody.wittemuseum.org/index.php

spurs_fan_in_exile
04-30-2008, 02:51 PM

Louisiana Nutria Recipe

2 carrots, sliced thin
1/2 cup white wine
2 potatoes, sliced thin
Brussel sprouts
1 cup water
salt and pepper to taste

Layer onion, tomato, potatoes, carrots and Brussel sprouts in crock pot. Season nutria with salt, pepper and garlic to taste and place nutria over vegetables. Add wine and water, set crock pot on low and let cook until meat is tender. Cook for approximately 4 to 6 hours. Garnish with vegetables and demi glace (4 servings).

:rollin Reminds me of a story from a coworker from Louisiana. I forget what town she's from, but it's a small, swampy one. One summer the nutria got really bad. Pets were disapearing and shit like that, and those things are big enough to take down a small child if they really want to. So the local, parish, and state government were taking too damn long to do much of anything about this problem, so one Sunday after church some of the men started talking about taking care of it themselves and pretty soon had damn near every able bodied male on board. The next weekend they grabbed their guns, all the ammo they could carry, and spent two days blasting every one of the bastards they saw. And from that came enough BBQ to feed an army.

SaintHornet
04-30-2008, 02:53 PM
there is one "m" in "coming"

is that the best you could come up with? really??

Teal Street
04-30-2008, 02:54 PM

LOL. Nope

Teal Street
04-30-2008, 02:55 PM

Louisiana Nutria Recipe

2 carrots, sliced thin
1/2 cup white wine
2 potatoes, sliced thin
Brussel sprouts
1 cup water
salt and pepper to taste

Wow smack with food. Dont get me started on my Armadillo recepies.LOL.

Seriously What do you guys have Tex-Mex/ Dont you get really tired of that stuff I know I do. Do You really want to start smack over food with New Orleans? Probably the best Chefs on this side of the big pond cook here.

Nolazach
04-30-2008, 02:56 PM
San Antonio is a great city. The riverwalk is fun, nice places to eat. There is a large Mercado next to it, with alright Mexican stuff. The Alamo is in the same area but may not be as impressive as it sounded in History class.

I highly reccomend driving up 35 to Schlitterbahn, which is by far the worlds best waterpark.

Alternatley, fans coming here, are just in time for Jazz fest, plus the touristy areas are all cleaned up and ready for your money.

I am from Austin and until 2003 I was a diehard spurs fan, When we got a team I got behind it. I don't hat the spurs and I love the city, even made every Saints game there.

Geaux Hornets!!

jn77
04-30-2008, 02:58 PM
Check out Hemisphair Park and the Tower of the Americas, Sea World is really cool. Fiesta Texas is also a good place to go. I also recomend the Mission Trail if you are bringing your own car.

Hope you enjoy San Anotnio, and sorry in advance for bouncing your team in 6:flag:

Jimcs50
04-30-2008, 02:58 PM
Do not drive to the game, traffic is horrible and parking is expensive. There is a free shuttle to the game from the Pearl Brewery, that leaves every 15 mins starting 1 hr prior to tip off.

MoSpur
04-30-2008, 03:00 PM
Sea World if you've been would be a good idea. The Riverwalk is also most tourist want to experience. For shopping, I'd suggest La Cantera. If you want to catch a movie, I'd suggest to head out to our newest theater, which is the Palladium. For good Mexican food, stay away from the Riverwalk.

NoMoneyDown
04-30-2008, 03:03 PM
Sea World if you've been would be a good idea. The Riverwalk is also most tourist want to experience. For shopping, I'd suggest La Cantera. If you want to catch a movie, I'd suggest to head out to our newest theater, which is the Palladium. For good Mexican food, stay away from the Riverwalk.

The absolute best Tex-Mex I had when I lived in San Antonio was when a friend took me to some terrible looking shack a few miles south east of downtown. Place looked terrible, but I've yet to find anything comparable as far as the taste of the food as that place. This was back in the early 90's, so it's probably a shopping mall now.

SaintHornet
04-30-2008, 03:05 PM
Ya'll are awesome!!!

ehz33satx
04-30-2008, 03:09 PM

Parking is a bitch around the Alamodome @ this time of year! Get there early!

jcrod
04-30-2008, 03:11 PM
AT&T Center, not Alamodome

spursfan09
04-30-2008, 03:14 PM

and make sure to wear your hornets jersey. especially on the lovely westside.

Teal Street
04-30-2008, 03:14 PM
I think we were being told that as a Joke but hey all Hornets fans were born yesterday and didnt Know the Spurs left that facility in 2002 right?

midgetonadonkey
04-30-2008, 03:16 PM
I recommend you hit up Terry's Friendly spot on the corner of Steves and Roosevelt. Go there if you want to experience real SA people doing what they do best.

spurs_fan_in_exile
04-30-2008, 03:18 PM
You know what this thread really needs? An Ozzy Osbourne troll.

Nolazach
04-30-2008, 03:25 PM
I know people like to tout their Ghettos. East, West, North SA. But please we are from NOLA. I have seen Texas' worst, and its nothing compared to the wrong parts of New Orleans. Generally stay away from any area known as a "ward".

Also we all know the Alamodome is that crappy, small concourse stadium, that tried to become the home of the San Antonio Saints. I think we will have no problems finding the newer AT&T center. Even if its not anywhere close to the best areas of the city.

Like our Stadiums are.

FromWayDowntown
04-30-2008, 03:41 PM

Shhhhhh!!

JustSpurs
04-30-2008, 03:45 PM
Dicks Last Resort...Riverwalk.
Wear all your Hornets Gear. They'll love you!

MoSpur
04-30-2008, 03:48 PM
Try a taco from Rolandos and a burger from Griffs next door.

boutons_
04-30-2008, 03:55 PM
Jim's idea is great. I did that once, made feel like I was back in Europe, on public transport. :)

If you rent a car and stay in the cheaper hotels outside of downtown (suburb hotel + gas + parking might equal downtown better hotel), there are several park'n'ride bus terminals in the suburbs for ATT Center events.

Jimcs50
04-30-2008, 03:57 PM
Jim's idea is great. I did that once, made feel like I was back in Europe, on public transport. :)

:angel

dknights411
04-30-2008, 06:50 PM
If you want Mexican food, I would suggest Taco Cabana! :D

michaelwcho
04-30-2008, 06:57 PM
San Antonio is a great city.
I highly reccomend driving up 35 to Schlitterbahn, which is by far the worlds best waterpark.

Geaux Hornets!!

Schlitterbahn is still there!? I lived in SA in the mid-eighties (Shaq was there at the time).... I have good memories of Schlitterbahn, man...

mrcoon29
04-30-2008, 07:02 PM
If you bring me many pounds of boudin I will drive you to the game! ;0) That's really the only thing I miss from growing up in LA, not counting my family.

SouthernFried
04-30-2008, 07:25 PM
Stay away from tourist areas. Christ, they're everywhere...and they wear crappy clothes.

Find somewhere that plays good live music (usually in New Braunfels.) Texas Music is great and totally different than great NO music. Gruene Hall in New Braunfels has the best shows, but I hate standing.

We have some great musicians just outside of San Antonio (which kinda sucks actually.) Downtown SA is strictly for tourists and people who like tourists. North SA is for ex-californians cashing in their $500,000 1 bedroom loft in LA and buying a mansion in SA for 350k.

My advice, take a trip to Bandera, Fredericksburg, Austin, New Braunfels...and just come back to eat Mexican food and see the game in SA.

Guess I've gotten cynical in the last 35 yrs... lol

td4mvp21
04-30-2008, 07:30 PM
Stay at the Hyatt Hill Country Resort. It's kind of pricy but it's all inclusive and pretty nice. It also has a lazy river onsite in addtion to a pool complex.

TheTruth
04-30-2008, 07:36 PM
Go to Southtown and check out the art and hit up some of the restaurants. Very nice area to just walk around. King William St. is also in that area. Lots of San Antonio Culture in those parts. If you have a family, take them to the Zoo, Fiesta Texas or Sea World.

You have to do the Riverwalk at least one night. Walk up and down it and just walk into the restaurant that looks the best to you.

ShoogarBear
04-30-2008, 07:40 PM

:bang

cherylsteele
04-30-2008, 07:40 PM
Schlitterbahn is still there!? I lived in SA in the mid-eighties (Shaq was there at the time).... I have good memories of Schlitterbahn, man...
Yep, The Travel Channel has named it the best water park, at least the last time they did a show of top ten parks.

Hey, you could always hit Splashtown

ShoogarBear
04-30-2008, 07:41 PM
Also we all know the Alamodome is that crappy, small concourse stadium, that tried to become the home of the San Antonio Saints.

That's a good idea. We need to bump all those threads about stealing the Saints.

ShoogarBear
04-30-2008, 07:42 PM
And where the hell is Buddy Holly when he might actually be useful?

baseline bum
04-30-2008, 07:53 PM
Cherry Street has some great bars to check after the game.

Ginofan
04-30-2008, 08:20 PM
You could barhop along the riverwalk, check out the Alamo, of course Fiesta Texas and Sea World. If you're hungry after the game hit up LuLu's for the best chicken fried steak ever.

Too bad you guys just missed Fiesta!

Avitus1
04-30-2008, 08:28 PM

Makes for a night you wont forget.