PDA

View Full Version : James' missed layup keeps Wizards alive

ducks
04-30-2008, 10:14 PM
CLEVELAND (AP)—Caron Butler whispered in LeBron James’ ear, one last word in case the Washington Wizards’ season was about to end.

With only a few ticks of the clock left, desperate times called for desperate measures.

“I was messing with LeBron before the play started,” Butler said. “I told him, ‘Miss this shot, make it interesting and let’s take this thing back to D.C.”’

Seconds later, the Wizards were on their way home—for Game 6.

Butler made a layup with 3.9 seconds left and the Wizards held their breath as James missed a potential series and season-ending layup at the horn, giving Washington an 88-87 victory Wednesday night and adding at least one more game to this overheated NBA playoff series.

After Butler scored on a tough drive past James, the Cavs had one more chance, but their superstar couldn’t get a banked runner to drop as the Wizards, who have had their past three seasons ended by Cleveland, pulled within 3-2 in the best-of-seven series.
Once off the floor, Butler ran down the hallway toward the Wizards’ locker room. He pulled off his jersey and shouted: “D.C., stand up! D.C., stand up!” before joining his excited teammates.

Butler scored 32 points and DeShawn Stevenson had 17 for the Wizards, who played without guard Gilbert Arenas and got only eight points from the normally reliable Antawn Jamison. Arenas announced before the game that his season was over because of a bothersome knee. His absence figured to be the decisive blow for the Wizards, but they fought to the finish and, at least for now, prevented the Cavs from ending their season.

Butler made sure of it.

“He played it like it was his last game, which it could have been,” Arenas said. “He showed leadership and poise out there. Great players make great moves and he did it tonight and he’s on his way to stardom because he’s doing it on a big stage.”

Butler also stole a page from James.

In Game 6 two years ago at Washington, James approached Arenas at the foul line in the final seconds and warned him not to miss his free throws or the game was over. Arenas misfired on both attempts and the Cavaliers ended the series on a last-second jumper by Damon Jones.

This time, it was James who came up short.

“He told me to miss the shot so we would go back to D.C.,” James said. “There it was.”

James scored 34 points—24 in the second half—but was unable to make the final shot in traffic that would have sent the Wizards, who began talking trash weeks ago and haven’t stopped, quietly into the summer. The Cavaliers led by five with 1:47 left, but took bad shots down the stretch and allowed Washington to score the final six points and end a five-game playoff losing streak in Cleveland.

James, who has withstood body blows throughout the series, felt he was fouled on his final shot but didn’t make excuses.

“I thought it was going to go in,” he said. “It just didn’t fall.”

It’s the second straight year that the Cavaliers were up 3-1 and failed to close out a team at home. Last postseason, Cleveland led New Jersey 3-1 but lost Game 5 at home before finally putting the Nets away on the road. The Cavs seemed to have learned from that lesson and were almost booked for the next round when Delonte West’s three-point play put them up 87-82.

Butler then scored on a layup sandwiched between two missed 3-pointers by Cleveland, and Antonio Daniels hit two free throws to pull the Wizards within 87-86 with 43 seconds left. Cleveland’s Joe Smith missed a short inside shot and Zydrunas Ilgauskas couldn’t steer in a tip.

Following a timeout, the Wizards cleared the floor for Butler, who burst past James and got an arching layup, which threatened to dance out, fall through the rim.

Washington has been beaten by so many last-second shots from Cleveland in the playoffs, and as James drove past Stevenson to the basket on the Cavs’ last possession, it looked as if the Wizards were going to go down in heartbreaking fashion again.

But James, who was bumped by Darius Songaila, didn’t come through and Stevenson, whose running feud has been one of the subplots in a series as juicy as a day-time TV soap, ran to midcourt and celebrated the Wizards’ good luck.

“We finally got a miss,” said relieved Wizards coach Eddie Jordan.

This series has had it all: trash talk, villains, heroes, rap stars and, of course, the Stevenson vs. James feud that seems personal and professional. And now, it will continue.

Arenas was casually sitting in a chair in Washington’s locker room discussing a recent movie he had seen, when he stunningly announced his lost season was over. The three-time All-Star, who missed 66 regular-season games following knee surgery, played in the first four games in the series despite a painful deep bone bruise.

But he wasn’t himself, and Arenas decided to start getting ready for next season a little early.

His teammates had other plans.

On Tuesday, the Wizards were visited by Abe Pollin, their 84-year-old owner who talked to them about past playoff successes and failures. Pollin spoke of times when Washington has overcome 3-1 deficits, and the Wizards have a chance to do it again.
Washington Wizards' Brendan Haywood, right, collides with Cleveland Cavaliers' LeBron James (23) in the fourth quarter of Game 5 in the NBA basketball playoff series Wednesday, April 30, 2008, in Cleveland. Haywood fouled out on the play but Washington stayed alive in the best-of-seven series with an 88-87 win.
Washington Wizards' Brendan Ha…
AP - Apr 30, 9:27 pm EDT

“It was very, very good for us,” Stevenson said of the meeting with the ailing Pollin, the league’s senior owner. “He told us to win a game for him, and that’s what we did.”

As if on cue, the Wizards and Cavaliers were at each other’s throats early.

With 3:20 left in the first quarter, James was fouled on a baseline drive by Songaila, whose left forearm caught James on the chin. Songaila was assessed a technical foul for the latest rough foul of the series.

James refused to comment on the play, perhaps not wanting to give the Wizards any more motivation than they already have.

Following Game 4, James said he didn’t think the Wizards could come back.

He hasn’t changed his mind.

“We’re still up 3-2,” he said.

Notes

Only eight of 174 teams have overcome 3-1 deficits to win. … James added 10 rebounds and seven assists, becoming the first player to score at least 34 points with 10 rebounds and seven assists in two straight playoff games since Larry Bird in 1984. … Cavs F Sasha Pavlovic, sidelined since April 16 with a sprained left ankle, was active but didn’t play. Arenas sat on the bench in street clothes, cheering on every miss and make by his teammates.

ShoogarBear
04-30-2008, 10:31 PM
It's been a good couple of days for ducks.

kingsfan
04-30-2008, 10:42 PM
Did you see the jacket he was wearing in the post game press conference? :rollin

ducks
04-30-2008, 10:43 PM
james deserves to get booed again at washington

Fillmoe
04-30-2008, 10:44 PM
james is a bum

Armando
04-30-2008, 10:44 PM
I hope the Wiz somehow pull this out. I think they match up better with Boston then Cleveland. Not saying they will beat them but they will give them a tough series.

DDS4
04-30-2008, 10:45 PM
Jesus. The Cavs have an unimaginative and boring offense, especially in crunch time.

Give the ball to Lebron, get out of the way, let him go 1 on 5.

Rinse, lather, repeat.

Armando
04-30-2008, 10:49 PM
Jesus. The Cavs have an unimaginative and boring offense, especially in crunch time.

Give the ball to Lebron, get out of the way, let him go 1 on 5.

Rinse, lather, repeat.

I agree is like watching Vanilla Sky with Tom Cruise.

JoeTait75
04-30-2008, 11:03 PM
james deserves to get booed again at washington

You're a tool. Just so you know.

Red Hawk #21
04-30-2008, 11:24 PM
Yo I think the Wizards have a better chance of beating the Cavs WITHOUT Gilbert arenas, Idk why I think so but I just do.

Armando
04-30-2008, 11:25 PM
Yo I think the Wizards have a better chance of beating the Cavs WITHOUT Gilbert arenas, Idk why I think so but I just do.

Short answer - Ball movement

Obstructed_View
04-30-2008, 11:27 PM
I've never seen a guy try to draw a charge in the final seconds of a game by turning his back to the offensive player. Lebron should have gone in hard and thrown that shit down.

mavs>spurs2
james is a bum

Well he's obviously no Kevin Martin

Obstructed_View
Short answer - Because Arenas sucks

Fixed.

Armando
04-30-2008, 11:33 PM
Fixed.

I like watching Areans play though. He just needs to learn to make his team better. Arenas is good enough to score anytime he wants he should be averaging 8-10 assists per game.

Fillmoe
05-01-2008, 01:23 AM
Well he's obviously no Kevin Martin

remove your lips from my penis please

spurscenter
05-01-2008, 01:53 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3p-HsSfehsA

and ganett gets away w murder

m33p0
05-01-2008, 02:20 AM
the wizards are a better team without gilbert. period.

Obstructed_View
05-01-2008, 03:01 AM
I like watching Areans play though. He just needs to learn to make his team better. Arenas is good enough to score anytime he wants he should be averaging 8-10 assists per game.

I don't mind watching him play, but that's because I'm not a fan of his team, and I don't give a shit if they win. Arenas is good enough to do a lot of things, but he doesn't care about anyone but himself so he makes teams better by not being on them.

Brox6
05-01-2008, 04:54 AM
the wizards are a better team without gilbert. period.

Same here. Ball movement is better and team defense is better without Agent 0

Thunder Dan
05-01-2008, 08:29 AM
I love how Ducks gets recognition for his shtick that he thinks Lebron sucks

hater
05-01-2008, 08:45 AM
I been saying it for a while. wizards are better w/out Arenas.

No way they lose in DC. this will go 7 games

oligarchy
05-01-2008, 09:11 AM

I agree. They play better without him. He has poor shot selections and the ball isn't distributed nearly as well with him.

mavs>spurs2
05-01-2008, 11:06 AM
remove your lips from my penis please

Weak.

BiZNicK
05-01-2008, 11:14 AM
Arenas would fit perfect with the Nuggets.

1 on 1 ball, poor shot selection, minimal defense..yup

Obstructed_View
05-01-2008, 11:33 AM
I love how Ducks gets recognition for his shtick that he thinks Lebron sucks

Yes but he gets recognition for being a tool.

mavs>spurs2
05-01-2008, 11:38 AM
What I don't get is how someone can think the 2nd best player in the league behind Kobe Bryant "sucks." You might not like him but 30ppg 8rpg 8apg does not lie.

mavs>spurs2
05-01-2008, 11:39 AM
Now I think he's overrated, gets the benefit of waaaaaaaaaaay too many calls and is babied, but he definately doesn't "suck."

Obstructed_View
05-01-2008, 11:59 AM
ducks is an idiot who cant even punctuate or capitalize what do you expect