PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Thomas' Presence Prevalent In Game 5

duncan228
05-01-2008, 01:41 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA.050108.Spurs_Suns_notebook.EN.3b66cf6.html

Pro basketball: Thomas' presence prevalent in Game 5
By Jeff McDonald
Express-News Staff Writer

Kurt Thomas did not arrive in San Antonio with the same fanfare that greeted Shaquille O'Neal in Phoenix, Jason Kidd in Dallas or Pau Gasol in Los Angeles.

Still, the Spurs wouldn't be headed to the second round of the playoffs without him.

“Having him here has really helped our team,” coach Gregg Popovich said after the Spurs jettisoned Phoenix in the first round. “We couldn't have got through this series without him. We couldn't have gotten it done.”

Thomas, a 35-year-old forward acquired from Seattle in a February trade, entered the Spurs' starting lineup beginning in Game 3 of the Phoenix series. His presence was most prevalent in the Spurs' series-clinching victory in Game 5.

Thomas played nearly 34 minutes, scored eight points and grabbed 12 rebounds in that game. Defensively, he was also instrumental in helping the Spurs slow Phoenix scoring machine Amare Stoudemire.

Thomas, who as a member of the Suns was ousted from the playoffs by the Spurs last season, said he's just happy to still be playing.

“I'm ecstatic,” Thomas said. “I'm happy to be here and glad to be moving on.”

Bruised brothers: Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili had more impetus than most to wrap up the Phoenix series in five games.

Both players are struggling with playoff bumps and bruises, and could use the rest. Ginobili, who scored just eight points in Game 5, is nursing a sore ankle. Parker, who averaged 29.7 points against the Suns, is nursing a sore everything.

“We were really glad to get (Phoenix) behind us,” Ginobili said. “We don't normally play a team as good as Phoenix in the first round.”

Tickets on sale: As of Wednesday afternoon, more than 2,000 tickets remained for Games 3 and 4 of the conference semifinal series against New Orleans. Both games will be played at the AT&T Center, though date and time is still to be determined.

freemeat
05-01-2008, 01:47 AM
Hopefully, regardless of the outcome of the Spurs run this season, we can get KT back for at least one or two more seasons...let him retire a Spur, rather than a member of the Heat or something like that...and have him be a big part of a ring or two in the process...

Princess Pimp
05-01-2008, 01:52 AM
Hopefully, regardless of the outcome of the Spurs run this season, we can get KT back for at least one or two more seasons...let him retire a Spur, rather than a member of the Heat or something like that...and have him be a big part of a ring or two in the process...

You'd wish

wijayas
05-01-2008, 06:03 AM

Or three more rings...:lobt2: :lobt2: :lobt2:

Spurs Brazil
05-01-2008, 10:50 AM
Ginobili, who scored just eight points in Game 5, is nursing a sore ankle.

I thought Manu had more problems with his groin but it seems his ankle is bothering most

SPARKY
05-01-2008, 11:04 AM
Hopefully his nuts are alright.

SKINNYPIMP210
05-01-2008, 07:24 PM
HELL YEA! Props to KT he did a hell of a job in that series! You can tell this guy has a lot of heart and wants to win! :toast

djohn14
05-01-2008, 07:43 PM
Yeah...im a huge fan of Kurt. If knocked down that J consistantly, we would be unbeatable.

TDMVPDPOY
05-01-2008, 07:44 PM
i thougght manu had diarrhea

SouthernFried
05-01-2008, 07:48 PM
I am as happy now at having KT...as I was when we traded for him. There were many naysayers at the time. For me, it was a no brainer. Wish we'd done it yrs ago.

FirebatMIV
05-01-2008, 09:02 PM
Who does Kurt Thomas guard vs. New Orleans? Is he fast enough to cover David West?

jmard5
05-01-2008, 09:04 PM
I was just as happy as you guys seeing Kurt Thomas single-handedly corraling rebounds against O'Neal and Stoudamire.

No slapping the ball to who-knows-where-ala-Oberto.

timvp
05-01-2008, 09:21 PM
Hopefully, regardless of the outcome of the Spurs run this season, we can get KT back for at least one or two more seasons...let him retire a Spur, rather than a member of the Heat or something like that...and have him be a big part of a ring or two in the process...Thomas will likely be offered a two-year contract worth $8-12M if the Spurs win the championship. If they don't win the championship, the Spurs might opt to go with Splitter and Mahinmi to get more athletic. Especially if the Spurs' downfall is lack of athleticism.

T Park
05-01-2008, 10:40 PM
Thomas will likely be offered a two-year contract worth $8-12M if the Spurs win the championship. If they don't win the championship, the Spurs might opt to go with Splitter and Mahinmi to get more athletic. Especially if the Spurs' downfall is lack of athleticism.

What the hell, have all three.

pauls931
05-01-2008, 10:52 PM
Thomas will likely be offered a two-year contract worth $8-12M if the Spurs win the championship. If they don't win the championship, the Spurs might opt to go with Splitter and Mahinmi to get more athletic. Especially if the Spurs' downfall is lack of athleticism.

I don't know why, I think he's overrated. I didn't really care for him when he was with phoenix when announcers would rave about his defense and then I watch Duncan torch him for 30 points. He does good because he's not a priority for other teams to defend. Any shots he hits are bonus points. But I was impressed in how the Spurs used their big men to collapse inside when Shaq or Amare got the ball down low.

peskypesky
05-01-2008, 10:58 PM
I was ecstatic when Kurt came to the Spurs. As a resident of NYC for twelve years, I watched him play a LOT of games and he was always my favorite Knick.

He's older now, past his prime, but he still plays with passion, heart and a very high basketball IQ. Just the kind of veteran the Spurs always need to grab another trophy.

Cheers to you, Kurt!

Louie Vega
05-01-2008, 11:16 PM
Kurt "Intangibles" Thomas? Has a nice ring to it! :flag:

jestersmash
05-01-2008, 11:29 PM
Regarding Ginobili, I saw him limp a few times in various games during the Suns-Spurs series, suggesting that his ankle is definitely hurt. His groin may also be hurt as well, though.

Also, I've really been pleased with Kurt Thomas's contribution to the Spurs thus far, particularly on the defensive end.

In a sense, I'd say that KT's great contribution plus the fact that we ended up getting Barry back makes Damen Stoudamire's total fucking incompetence a little bit more bearable.

I'm really displeased with Stoudamire. He's played like utter garbage so far. Why is he still in the league?

pad300
05-01-2008, 11:33 PM

You really think they will offer him that much? I am guessing 6 to 8 million for 2 years is about the most the Spurs would offer, and that probably trumps the open market. Remember, the guy is already 35...