PDA

View Full Version : Hornets Now Bracing For Champ Spurs

duncan228
05-01-2008, 10:04 AM
http://www.nola.com/hornets/t-p/?/base/sports-3/1209620275213470.xml&coll=1

Hornets now bracing for champ Spurs
N.O. higher seed but underdog against accomplished opponent Thursday,
By Teddy Kider

On Tuesday night, two longtime Western Conference forces fell hard.

The Dallas Mavericks lost in the first round of the playoffs for the second consecutive season, spurring the firing of Coach Avery Johnson and speculation of a major team overhaul. The Phoenix Suns were outdone once again by the San Antonio Spurs, sparking conflicting reports about the future of Suns Coach Mike D'Antoni.

Both winners -- the Hornets and the Spurs -- were dominant and methodical in their approach, claiming victory after five of a possible seven games.

So which series win was more impressive?

"I thought ours was more impressive," Hornets Coach Byron Scott said Wednesday, smirking.

The Hornets will be put to the test beginning Saturday night, when the Spurs arrive at the New Orleans Arena for Game 1 of a best-of-seven Western Conference semifinal series.

The Hornets reached this point through a different route than the Spurs, who have won four of the NBA's past nine championships. But from the Hornets' celebration -- rather, lack of celebration -- after Tuesday night's 99-94 win against the Mavericks at the Arena, one might not realize it.

"I thought Chris (Paul) made a great point last night when he came into the locker room," Scott said. "Nobody was jumping up and down, celebrating. He said, 'Four down, 12 to go.' And that's how you've got to look at it. We've got to win 12 more games."

Despite the Hornets' No. 2 seed and home-court advantage for the semifinal series, New Orleans is likely to enter against the No. 3 seed Spurs in a familiar role -- as the underdog.

The Hornets, however, beat the Spurs, the league's defending champions, in two of four games during the regular season, including a 24-point blowout in San Antonio in January and a 25-point romp in March at the Arena.

"I don't know if many players on this team consider themselves underdogs, but for some reason, that's what we've been labeled as," Hornets center Tyson Chandler said.

The Hornets lost 12- and nine-point decisions to the Spurs during the regular season, but Scott said that his team has a firm grasp of what San Antonio is about -- beginning with power forward Tim Duncan.

"Playing them over the years, we know what type of team they are -- a different team than the Mavericks because of the fact that they are a post-up team first," Scott said. "They're going to throw that ball to Tim and kind of play off him. We've got to make sure we do a good job on him, which is a tall order.

"Tyson's got his hands full, and David (West) and (Melvin Ely) and Hilton (Armstrong) and all of those guys will be guarding him."

With Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili in the Spurs' backcourt, the Hornets will once again focus on transition defense. New Orleans will try to protect the lane and force San Antonio to be a jump-shooting team.

Scott said he knows that between Duncan, Parker and Ginobili, someone must be stopped.

"With the big three playing the way they're playing, you've got to take away one of those guys," Scott said. "All three of those guys can't have a great series."

ancestron
05-01-2008, 10:18 AM
The Hornets are cocky and overconfident. They're screwed.

CubanMustGo
05-01-2008, 10:49 AM
Yeah, pretty impressive taking out a team that had lost eight of its previous ten playoff games the previous two seasons and had barely played .500 ball since the Kidd trade. Just focus on Timmay, Byron; Manu and Tony are irrelevant.

BiZNicK
05-01-2008, 10:51 AM
The Shaq effect....

Hornets will fail just as he did. Let's see them walk the walk.

duncan228
05-01-2008, 10:53 AM
The Hornets are cocky and overconfident.

I think that will be their undoing. We saw the Suns get rattled and lose their poise, the Hornets will rattle easier. They have no clue what the intensity level is in the second round. The Spurs' experience keeps them poised even under duress. That Championship blood will serve them well against a good team with little Playoff experience.

1Parker1
05-01-2008, 11:05 AM
"With the big three playing the way they're playing, you've got to take away one of those guys," Scott said. "All three of those guys can't have a great series."

:lmao Already Scott has a better plan against the Spurs than D'Antoni. D'Antoni thought the best way to beat the Spurs was eliminate their role players (guys like Finley, Bowen, Barry, etc from hitting their 3's) and let the Big 3 beat them.

Scott has the more practical idea stating that it's smarter to stop 1 or 2 of those Big 3.

McMofo
05-01-2008, 11:09 AM
The Hornets are cocky and overconfident. They're screwed.

They actually sound spur like, no one was jumping around saying stupid things. Chris Paul is a very mature leader for a player his age and with championship expeienced coach Byron Scott in his corner this club is on the right track. Granted they are about a year or two away from actually winning it all they aren't to be overlooked.

Demo Dick Marcinko
05-01-2008, 11:16 AM
They actually sound spur like, no one was jumping around saying stupid things. Chris Paul is a very mature leader for a player his age and with championship expeienced coach Byron Scott in his corner this club is on the right track. Granted they are about a year or two away from actually winning it all they aren't to be overlooked.

They thumped us pretty good in their two wins, but so did a lot of teams. Even Phoenix took 3 out of 4 from us. What happens in the regular season stays in the regular season, seems like the Spurs don't lace up their Nikes until the post season starts. That being said, of all the remaining teams, the Hornets I think will give us our toughest test. They'll be tougher not because Scott is a such a great coach, but because Chris Paul is such a mature and capable leader with a nice supporting cast around him.

Budkin
05-01-2008, 11:20 AM
Timmy is going to show David West what a real power forward looks like.

dbreiden83080
05-01-2008, 11:21 AM
Byron Scott talking a little smack, do we need to remind him of the 2003 finals to get him to behave???

DDS4
05-01-2008, 11:28 AM
Playoff Spurs >>> Regular season Spurs.

You'd think opposing teams would know by now.

dbreiden83080
05-01-2008, 11:30 AM

The media may never figure that out but you would hope the opponents would. The more the Hornets boast about Reg season success the happier i am getting.

resistanze
05-01-2008, 11:34 AM
Yeah, Byron Scott should've said his team is about to get their collective asses handed to them by TD & Co.

GMAFB. He seemed pretty respectful to me.

dbreiden83080
05-01-2008, 11:44 AM
Yeah, Byron Scott should've said his team is about to get their collective asses handed to them by TD & Co.

GMAFB. He seemed pretty respectful to me.

I just think everyone should be 100% silent about the Spurs and their chances. Suns do nothing but talk and get beat over and over. Learn from that NBA.

lefty
05-01-2008, 11:49 AM
The Hornets, however, beat the Spurs, the league's defending champions, in two of four games during the regular season, including a 24-point blowout in San Antonio in January and a 25-point romp in March at the Arena

And ?

Tacker
05-01-2008, 11:50 AM

Playoff Hornets >>> Regular season Hornets

dbreiden83080
05-01-2008, 11:51 AM
Playoff Hornets >>> Regular season Hornets

Based on???

xtremesteven33
05-01-2008, 12:01 PM
Regular season Bruce Bowen <<<<< Post season Bruce Bowen

CubanMustGo
05-01-2008, 12:08 PM
Playoff TP >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Playoff JKidd

Strike
05-01-2008, 12:10 PM
Byron Scott talking a little smack, do we need to remind him of the 2003 finals to get him to behave???

Actually he needs to be reminded of his entire run as Jersey's coach. Couldn't quite get over the hump.

I like this New Orleans team. They'll be a force for at least a few years based on their current roster if things stay intact. But I don't think this is their year. Look at the Suns series. The Spurs didn't even really bomb one game. They took a dump in the 1st quarter of game 3 and simply couldn't recover. They outplayed the Suns when it matter in games 1, 2 and 5, and owned them in game 3. Even with Ginobili's shitty game 5, the Spurs still won. What does that say about Scott's strategy?

I'm not predicting a sweep, though I wouldn't be shocked. I'm saying Spurs in 5. 5 hard fought games.

Spuradicator
05-01-2008, 12:10 PM
"I don't know if many players on this team consider themselves underdogs, but for some reason, that's what we've been labeled as," Hornets center Tyson Chandler said.

Its cause you are Chandler

T Park
05-01-2008, 12:24 PM
Its gonna be a tough series, but I don't think it will be as tough as Phoenix.

The interior defense is just not as good as a Stoudamire Shaq frontline.

ForeignFan
05-01-2008, 12:51 PM
Its gonna be a tough series, but I don't think it will be as tough as Phoenix.

The interior defense is just not as good as a Stoudamire Shaq frontline.

They might be better against the pick & roll, don't you think?

Smirk
05-01-2008, 01:01 PM
I would like to know a single thing that was cocky or arrogant about anything in that article. Confident? Yeah. But everything else seemed very respectful. I know everything that the Hornets have said so far about the Spurs has been very respectful.

You guys are just looking for things to be indignant about in places where there is nothing there.

ManuTastic
05-01-2008, 01:44 PM
Chris Paul is a very mature leader for a player his age and with championship expeienced coach Byron Scott in his corner this club is on the right track. Granted they are about a year or two away from actually winning it all they aren't to be overlooked.

Ditto. Anyone who thinks NO is going to fold faster than Superman on laundry day is dreaming. They have excellent talent up and down the line, CP3 is a legit MVP candidate, they're stocked with shooters, they have size and strength, and they beat a lot of excellent teams this year, including SA. This is going to be a 6 or 7-game series, and it's going to be tough.
PS. Manu better show up for all of these.
:flag:

DazedAndConfused
05-01-2008, 02:11 PM
Manu is playing on an injured groin, I saw him noticeably limping in that last game against PHX. Without him playing at a high level NOH's chances increase dramatically. If there is one area they are weak it is defending against elite perimeter players.

bthewigwam
05-01-2008, 02:15 PM
Age of Roger Clemens' wife >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Age of Roger Clemens' mistress.

VoiceofReason
05-01-2008, 03:13 PM
Ditto. Anyone who thinks NO is going to fold faster than Superman on laundry day is dreaming. They have excellent talent up and down the line, CP3 is a legit MVP candidate, they're stocked with shooters, they have size and strength, and they beat a lot of excellent teams this year, including SA. This is going to be a 6 or 7-game series, and it's going to be tough.
PS. Manu better show up for all of these.
:flag:

Thank you. Some of the Spurs fans are talking as if we may as well not play the games.

I love the Spurs. I think they are a great team with one of the best coaches in the game. I do, however, think the Hornets present some tough matchups for them. PG (TP had a nice first round, but CP3 > Nash), PF (yes, I'm serious), C (again, serious) and Peja at the 3 will hit clutch shots . . . even in the playoffs. MoPete plays good D, and, while streaky, can score. Pargo, Wells and Wright need to be strong off the bench, and I think they will. We'll have to keep Ginobli within reasonable control, and that's easier said than done. It should be fun.

Brutalis
05-01-2008, 03:20 PM
I think that will be their undoing. We saw the Suns get rattled and lose their poise, the Hornets will rattle easier. They have no clue what the intensity level is in the second round. The Spurs' experience keeps them poised even under duress. That Championship blood will serve them well against a good team with little Playoff experience.

Slow down lady the NBA has their wishes first.

spursfan09
05-01-2008, 03:23 PM
Manu is playing on an injured groin, I saw him noticeably limping in that last game against PHX. Without him playing at a high level NOH's chances increase dramatically. If there is one area they are weak it is defending against elite perimeter players.

You are so negative!!!! Geesh!

Mavs<Spurs
05-01-2008, 03:28 PM
perimeter defender?

Bruce?

Tony ?

Manu?

This is a joke, right?

I would predict that Tony will outplay Paul in this series.

NO has to win at least one of their first two games.

That won't be easy for them to do.

Their goal should be a split.

Our goal is to win both games in NO.

SpursIndonesia
05-01-2008, 07:13 PM
I would like to know a single thing that was cocky or arrogant about anything in that article. Confident? Yeah. But everything else seemed very respectful. I know everything that the Hornets have said so far about the Spurs has been very respectful.

You guys are just looking for things to be indignant about in places where there is nothing there.

Agreed, and i'm most impressed by David West, this kid, unlike Amare, knows how to let his game do the talking.

Louie Vega
05-01-2008, 07:22 PM
SPurs in 6!

FromWayDowntown
05-01-2008, 07:23 PM
I think the Hornets have to come into the series feeling as though they have a great chance to win it. They are immensely talented at some spots and very well built in others. I don't think Scott or the Hornets' players have said anything disrespectful, either (though I'll admit that I don't really buy into this notion of disrespectful statements by players asked to assess their own team's chances). They understand that the Spurs are champions and they understand that they'll have their work cut out for them to beat the Spurs. But with that said, they have to come into the series feeling as though they have at least a chance to win -- and I'd say that certain factors, including HCA, should give them a great deal of confidence that they can win the series. That's the way competitors approach everything; a real competitor wants to face the big dog to have the chance to knock off the big dog. The Hornets will have that chance and they're understandably confident about their chances to do that.

I'd think that the regular season games don't really mean much -- particularly the Spurs blowout win in New Orleans and the Hornets' more recent blowout wins. Few people have mentioned, in the aftermath of the Suns' series, that abomination in early April in which the Suns shut down the Spurs throughout the fourth quarter in San Antonio on their way to a blowout win that so many thought was the proof that the Suns would finally get over the hump. I remain convinced that a lot that happened with the Spurs in the last couple months of the regular season was more the product of some sort of Popovich tinkering than an inability to win games against good teams. We'll see in Round 2 if that's true or if beating a pretty good Phoenix team was just a mirage.

SpursDynasty
05-01-2008, 07:35 PM
I don't know who the Hornets think they are. They act like they're supposed to come out and have the playoffs handed to them. Everyone has to pay their dues and the Hornets are no different. Sweep coming up for, Spurs 4-0.

FromWayDowntown
05-01-2008, 07:37 PM
I don't know who the Hornets think they are. They act like they're supposed to come out and have the playoffs handed to them. Everyone has to pay their dues and the Hornets are no different. Sweep coming up for, Spurs 4-0.

You still think Dwight Howard and Chris Paul are overrated. You should just have those things in your signature so that posters who know nothing of your lunacy can assess your takes in light of your unreasonableness.

Are you Deshawn Stevenson by any chance?

SKINNYPIMP210
05-01-2008, 07:53 PM
I think the Hornets have to come into the series feeling as though they have a great chance to win it. They are immensely talented at some spots and very well built in others. I don't think Scott or the Hornets' players have said anything disrespectful, either (though I'll admit that I don't really buy into this notion of disrespectful statements by players asked to assess their own team's chances). They understand that the Spurs are champions and they understand that they'll have their work cut out for them to beat the Spurs. But with that said, they have to come into the series feeling as though they have at least a chance to win -- and I'd say that certain factors, including HCA, should give them a great deal of confidence that they can win the series. That's the way competitors approach everything; a real competitor wants to face the big dog to have the chance to knock off the big dog. The Hornets will have that chance and they're understandably confident about their chances to do that.

I'd think that the regular season games don't really mean much -- particularly the Spurs blowout win in New Orleans and the Hornets' more recent blowout wins. Few people have mentioned, in the aftermath of the Suns' series, that abomination in early April in which the Suns shut down the Spurs throughout the fourth quarter in San Antonio on their way to a blowout win that so many thought was the proof that the Suns would finally get over the hump. I remain convinced that a lot that happened with the Spurs in the last couple months of the regular season was more the product of some sort of Popovich tinkering than an inability to win games against good teams. We'll see in Round 2 if that's true or if beating a pretty good Phoenix team was just a mirage.

:toast Good post. Hornets are not all cocky and arrogant like some other teams. Member when the lakers came to SA in 03' like it was going to be easy to beat us? I'm glad the Spurs are still eating Humble pie.

jestersmash
05-01-2008, 08:21 PM
If Ginobili were not hurt I would say the Spurs would decisively win this series in 6 because he will have a field day in the paint. Fortunately tony parker is still here and can do the same thing, but without ginobili doing it as well it's going to be much harder.

Right now ginobili's outside shot is just not falling so the only real way he can score is to get into the paint, and his groin is too hurt for him to explode into the paint like he usually can.

BigBeezie
05-01-2008, 08:48 PM
It will be Spurs in 5 or 6...probably the game 6 at home. I don't see the Hornets beating us 4 times out of 7.

milkyway21
05-01-2008, 08:51 PM
Timmy is going to show David West what a real power forward looks like.DWest said he likes the Spurs.

If we can forget that Bowen's 1 game suspension(against CP3 foul in March), I can imagine this will be another charming series.

pauls931
05-01-2008, 09:27 PM
They might be better against the pick & roll, don't you think?

Bingo, the Spurs pick and rolled phoenix to death. Phoenix could not figure out the high screen. If NO can figure it out, then they'll have a better chance that Phoenix did. TD will get his points, but you can't let parker score in the 30's and 40's or Ginobili score in the mid 20's plus.

Teal Street
05-01-2008, 09:38 PM
DWest said he likes the Spurs.

If we can forget that Bowen's 1 game suspension(against CP3 foul in March), I can imagine this will be another charming series.

The Hornets have a lot of confidence in themselves. They have essentially been in a playoff situation for several weeks now fighting to keep the top spot and the home court advantage. They have built confidence in doing this and showing well against the Spurs, Suns ,Mavs, Lakers this year. The only team I think our guys really dont match up well against is the Jazz.

Indazone
05-01-2008, 10:00 PM
The Spurs is why the Hornets traded for Bonzi Wells.

Indazone
05-01-2008, 10:00 PM

Oh and there it is...Spurs are in trouble now.

The Jinx post

oboymeetsogirl
05-01-2008, 11:17 PM
Scott will need to play if both ways: bolstering his team's morale by telling them that they are as good (or better) than the Spurs, and at the same time instilling them with healthy doses of fear and respect for their opponents by talking about how great the Spurs are.

I attribute this even handed approach to all those years playing for the Showtime Lakers; re those battles and endless tests of wills against the Celtics, and then the Pistons and Bulls. The big flaw I've always seen with D'Antoni is that he never experienced NBA championship series as a player or coach. Pop didn't see it as a player, but he learned quickly because he was fortunate enough to have the Admiral and Duncan together, going through those years of winning, and then failing.

I'm convinced that in order to be a great champion you have to have lost a few of them. So from a coaching standpoint, the Hornets/Spurs series will be an interesting one because there is such a wealth of experience between the two team leaders.

jestersmash
05-01-2008, 11:22 PM
I sincerely feel that Dallas was, in general, much weaker than the Suns this year. In other words, the Spurs are coming off defeating a more competent foe plus they clearly have the experience edge over the Hornets.