PDA

View Full Version : India's Baby-Dropping Ritual

peewee's lovechild
05-01-2008, 10:16 AM
Muslims in western India have been observing a bizarre ritual - they've been throwing their young children off a tall building to improve their health. The faithful have been observing the ritual at a shrine in Solapur, in western India's Maharastra, for more than five hundred years. They believe it will make their children strong and say no accidents have ever happened.

(click on link for video)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/05/01/indias-baby-dropping-ritu_n_99587.html

mrsmaalox
05-01-2008, 10:24 AM
Well those babies appear no worse for the wear; but if you are considering this for your daughter, Peewee, it's probably not necessary. I read this story on a different site this AM, but I liked your link better because underneath it had this:

Official Tearfully Admits He Sniffed Female Lawmaker's Chairseat

What a perv! :lol

BonnerDynasty
05-01-2008, 10:46 AM
Worked for the Spartans.

MrChug
05-01-2008, 11:56 AM
Dropped as a child? I didn't know Sequ was Indian????

Don Quixote
05-01-2008, 12:50 PM
Dang. I didn't know all these teenage wannabe hip-hop stars in our schools were from India.

Summers
05-01-2008, 03:10 PM
Dropped as a child? I didn't know Sequ was Indian????

He's not, but it sure explains Fillmoe.

I love how the guy catching the babies tosses them around like loaves of bread.

Fillmoe
05-01-2008, 05:17 PM
that joke would have been funny if it was aimed at e20... hes the muslim not me... get your facts straight you racist...

Fillmoe
05-01-2008, 05:17 PM
do all black people look the same to you too?

mrsmaalox
05-01-2008, 05:20 PM
Indians are Hindu.

Fillmoe
05-01-2008, 06:40 PM
Indians are Hindu.

gotta love ignorance

CuckingFunt
05-01-2008, 06:57 PM
Indians are Hindu.

That's like saying Americans are Christian.

mrsmaalox
05-01-2008, 07:24 PM
PLEASE forgive my careless transgression. I meant, but did not accurately express, that the people of this region (Solapur in western India) are Hindu!!!

CuckingFunt
05-01-2008, 07:30 PM
PLEASE forgive my careless transgression. I meant, but did not accurately express, that the people of this region (Solapur in western India) are Hindu!!!

It says in the little blurb right next to the video in peewee's link that the people who are observing this ritual are Musilm:

Muslims in western India have been observing a bizarre ritual . . .

Don Quixote
05-01-2008, 07:31 PM
Interesting ... this does not appear to be an orthodox Islamic practice. Folk Islam in fact predominates in much of Africa and, I guess, northern India.

E20
05-01-2008, 07:35 PM
A main problem for Islam is that it so integrated in the culture, that stuff from the culture is seen as a part of the religon, when in fact a lot of the things people from a certain region say or do they base it off religon when in fact it is actually based off culture

mrsmaalox
05-01-2008, 07:53 PM
It says in the little blurb right next to the video in peewee's link that the people who are observing this ritual are Musilm:

As long as we're pointing out things that have been missed when we read: In the first post after Peewee's initial post I wrote that I read the story elsewhere, not in Peewee's link. :rolleyes

CuckingFunt
05-01-2008, 07:58 PM
As long as we're pointing out things that have been missed when we read: In the first post after Peewee's initial post I wrote that I read the story elsewhere, not in Peewee's link. :rolleyes

Oh, I saw that, but the fact that they're Muslim is also mentioned in the opening post of this thread. Peewee included the aforementioned blurb with the link.

mrsmaalox
05-01-2008, 08:03 PM
Like I said, I read the story elsewhere; so I did not read the post either as I had seen the title of the thread. But you are correct.

mrsmaalox
05-01-2008, 08:12 PM
A main problem for Islam is that it so integrated in the culture, that stuff from the culture is seen as a part of the religon, when in fact a lot of the things people from a certain region say or do they base it off religon when in fact it is actually based off culture

I was talking to a friend of mine just now who practices Sikhism and he said basically the same thing. He also said that while the regions of India were historically defined by religion, it is much more accurate to define areas culturally these days. He also said that Islam is the fastest growing religion in India (about 15% of the population) when 20 years ago it was easily Christianity. Interesting. Learn something new every day!

mavs>spurs2
05-01-2008, 10:57 PM
Hahaha everyone shitting on Fillmoe I love it

mavs>spurs2
05-01-2008, 11:38 PM

There's no reason to be racist against black people, or any race besides those damn towelheads. They give reasons everyday for the rest of the world to hate them.

Fillmoe
05-02-2008, 12:49 AM
read a book, and remove your lips from my cock please.....

mavs>spurs2
05-02-2008, 01:05 AM
read a book, and remove your lips from my cock please.....

You're people are heathens.

some_user86
05-02-2008, 01:55 AM
You're people are heathens.

Hasn't he established he isn't muslim?

I have yet to see anyone outside of the Sikhs actually wear a damn turban. Hence, why it is a shame that they bear the brunt of racist attacks. Also ironic, considering that Sikhism was established when people of northwestern part of India were trying to defend themselves from Islamic threats.

It doesn't matter anyways.

I guess all brownies look the same.

some_user86
05-02-2008, 02:04 AM
Random thought: I love Robot Chicken

peewee's lovechild
05-02-2008, 08:47 AM

You know, they kinda do.

MrChug
05-02-2008, 11:12 AM
that joke would have been funny if it was aimed at e20... hes the muslim not me... get your facts straight you racist...

You target your hatred at "the muslim" yet you have no prejudice, no wonder people think you're a joke.